Why is anime strictly defined as Japanese animation, instead of a distinct style of animation?

Why is anime strictly defined as Japanese animation, instead of a distinct style of animation?

It's actual definition is just animation. But apparently people without brains - aka remnants of the Facebook crowd during the height of it's popularity - don't know any better and the whole thing just spiraled out of control.

It's irrelevantly pedantic.
If it's made in Japan, it's anime, just like how ramen is Japanese and how bratwurst is German.
If it's not, it's not, and we just generalize it as a cartoon, and if it's clearly anime inspired, we'll call it anime-inspired, kind of like Taco Bell is inspired by, but not authentically, Mexican food.

I don't know, user. Why is beef strictly defined as cow meat, and not just stuff that tastes like it?

Castlevania was still fucking rad though.

Because anime isn't a style?

it made me replay the nes game lol

Because that's the definition?

Because it's not a style. You wouldn't say something like LoGH isn't anime just because the art-style makes it look like an 80s american cartoon like GI Joe or something. That really goes for most things made 70s and 80s, the thing we associate as the modern anime art-style only came into existence recently. The thing they all have in common, is that they're Japanese cultural products made in a Japanese industry. That's why something like Avatar still "feels" American even if the art-styles looks anime.

anyone got that chart image of a shitload of different anime artstyles?
when you see that you understand why anime can't be a "style". it is simply too varied to be a binary decision.

Ending a statement with a question mark?

Where do you draw the line?

The Last Unicorn was animated by Studio Topcraft, who went on to become Ghibli, based off an American book. But just being animated by Japanese studios and not solely intended for Japanese audiences isn't the same as something like animating Nausicaa.

>You wouldn't say something like LoGH isn't anime just because the art-style makes it look like an 80s american cartoon like GI Joe or something
G.I. Joe, like a number of 80's cartoons, was chiefly animated in Japan.

Yeah, but when's the last time you saw someone call GI Joe anime?

Dealing with you will no doubt give me a headache.

Here's the bottom line. The animation was commissioned under the direction of a mostly American creative team in an American company for an primarily American audience. That's why Japanese shows with in-between shows done in Korea are still considered anime.

>Here's the bottom line. The animation was commissioned under the direction of a mostly American creative team working for an American company for a primarily American audience. That's why Japanese shows with in-between work done in Korea are still considered anime.

This is why I shouldn't drunkpost

No user, that would be like claiming the country the cow comes from makes the meat different. Like saying
>If a cow is raised and butchered in America it's cow meat, but if it's raised and butchered in Japan it's ushiniku and should only be sold in different stores
>But isn't that literally just the japanese word for "cow meat"
>Shut up don't question me

>ushiniku

That's a terrible analogy. There's distinct differences between Angus and Kobe beef.

Because within japanese animation there is no one distinct style. Picture what you posted versus Ping Pong versus k-on. They are all anime, but they're all completely different styles.

牛肉
ぎゅうにく

Because that's how the word is used, and definitions are based on usage.
A stylisic definition makes no sense given the broad range of styles used in Japanese animation.
That's a different question: what does it mean for animation to be Japanese. It's hard to make a clear definition, but in practise most people find it easy to tell.

>what does it mean for animation to be Japanese.
quality

so the fact that japanese ppl animated it doesn't make it anime?
so if castlevania was made exactly as it is, but it was commissioned by a japanese company, it would be anime?
lol ok

>Why is anime strictly defined as Japanese animation, instead of a distinct style of animation?
To filter out the crap, Sup Forums is a containment board.

Stuff like pic related is why.

That said, I wouldn't consider stuff like Aishen Qiaokeli-ing Sup Forums material.

Pic appears to be corrupted.
Pic was of The Boondocks.

Because it's a loanword from Japan that people decided to use to refer to all Japanese animation. There's not really a reason inherent in the way language evolves. In Japanese it means neither, and shows from Cartoon Network are called anime as well.

Because we have western, literal weaboo faggots trying to copy them like your OP image.

So I haven't eaten sushi unless I eaten sushi in Japan?

Yes.

No, but if you eat a type of sushi that only exists in America you can't really say you've had sushi. This applies to most cuisines.

>Castlevania was still fucking rad though.

Because knockoffs like OP's pic look like it but have none of the substance. To beware of counterfeits.

It's not anime, the wrapping looks like it, but the contents are totally something else. For example, why would the Japanese call Arabians 'Camel Riders'? It's America and it's militarist propaganda of the moment.

Why is champagne defined as sparkling wine from the Champagne region in France?

If the characters behavior, the development of the action etc were all defined and conducted by japanese staff, it would be anime. But here it's not. it's merely a cartoon with anime design solely. Any cartoon could do that calling it a parody, but the episode wouldn't be called 'anime' just because of the design.

So is neo yokio anime?

I mean, by most definitions in this thread it is, it was, after all, produced by Studio deen and worked on by production IG.

So surely, Neo Yokio is anime.

>No user, that would be like claiming the country the cow comes from makes the meat different.
It does. Real Wagyu beef can only come from Japan, and it absolutely tastes different.

Terroir is everything. Anime is anime not because it's Japanese, but because it's overwhelmingly made by a tightly interrelated group of artists, 90% of whom work in Tokyo.

>produced by Studio deen
No it wasn't. It was animated entirely in Korea, with some early designs and preproduction done by Japs.

>neo yokio
Is that what they call the boondocks now?