Why don't more anime discuss the theme of escapism?

Why don't more anime discuss the theme of escapism?
It's usually just played off as a joke in most when it's the main reason anybody is watching anime.

Quite often anime deals with topics that we try to escape from or it brings back things that we try to forget, so it's hardly escapism.

I'm having escapism right this moment and you and your ahoge can't stop me.

I watch SAO, Death march and Smartphone!

Marche best FF Villain.

Is he a villain if his friends ended up happier and less willing to run away from their problems? Even his brother ended up being nicer and happier instead of selfish and spiteful 24/7.

Marche did nothing wrong, fuck off with your dictator gift taxes Mewt

have you thought for even half a second as to why they dont do that

Shit man, if I had to choose between fighting people with magic or living a regular life I know what I'd pick.

Satoshi Kon

Most of the popular ones deal with very real and relatable subjects, even when they're presented as something else.

Escapism is bad for you, user! You'll keep repeating that behaviour!

As a kid, playing FFTA was an interesting experience. The MC was basically telling me what I was doing as I played the game was wrong and I didn't even realise it in that context until the end.

Imagine how much pussy Marche and his squad got towards the end of the game. Wasn't it mentioned that his clan ended up becoming the most powerful and influential in the world over the game's course?

Escapism is a meme.

He truly was the most well-written villain in the series.

We don't like being reminded?

It's unhealthy.

Marche did everything right. Everybody was into escapism, living their unrealistic fantasies even if that meant living in an illusion, people from the real world be damned.

As for escapism in anime, one could say that watching/reading/playing any sort of fiction in general is a form escapism by itself, so most of them embrace the escapism instead of making of it a theme to deal with in a serious way

why dont you define escapism?
I dont forget the world and who i am and everything thats going wrong in my life just cause im watching anime. Not any more than playing tennis or having sex.

Im just currently occupied. I cant "escape" anything watching anime and its sure as fuck not the main reason im watching.

>wanting to have anything to do with the real world when you're living in another reality that's better in every way

Because it's fucking pointless. Escapism is like the most pointless thing you can discuss. It's almost a word without meaning, because it applies to almost EVERYTHING. Even facing hardships can be labeled escapism. Seeking entertainment is the most natural thing any human can do. It's the most real desire, and to some, the only real desire. Labeling that natural lust escapism means labeling literally everything escapism. It's a fucking pointless concept, a meaningless word with nothing to discuss.

Except here's the problem, that no one I've seen ever brings up.

Everyone got a wish. Marche's brother, the redhead girl, the guy who became prince. They all got their wish, a wish that Marche tore them away from due to his belief that Escapism is wrong.
Do you remember what Marche's wish was? He wished for an adventure.

He got what he wanted, and then tore everyone else away from what they wanted.

Seriously though, why is Marche not in Dissidia yet?

>He got what he wanted
That's not how it works m8
It wasn't fun all along and I bet he realised what happened to everyone else like the 3 bullies.

This.

Yes, and? Mewt selfishly took everyone into the fantasy land. He didn't ask for their permission. He didn't care. Marche did the same. He just responded in kind. If someone can selfishly take everyone to a fantasy land, he can take them out of it.

Weren't they turned into zombies or some sort of monsters to be slain?

Anyways, their little isekai adventures weren't exactly a good thing. Instead of facing life as it is, they were given their dreams given form, and even turned real life people into monsters or created fake replacements of people like their mothers and fathers.

Also, they kind of become cunts once they started to live their fantasy lives and what said, it's not like Marche wanted to be in Ivalice, so he responded with the same coin. Besides, life wasn't exactly roses and flowers for the ones who weren't blessed with their wishes, Marche could've legit died during his journey to return to the real world, even at hands of Mewt's forces potentially

>Instead of facing life as it is, they were given their dreams given form
There is no proof that the fantasy world was lesa real than the original one.

It doesn't matter. It was a world that was favourable to Mewt and his friends while everyone else in the damn town got the short end of the stick.
To undo that was obviously the right thing to do.

Yeah, vampires. It's meant to show that not everyone got a "better" outcome. Chances were, other than Mewt's friends, everyone else got fucked over.

>To undo that was obviously the right thing to do.
Maybe, but for a fundamentally different reason than "escapism is not healthy".

anime is escapism

Not really. There are shows that practically force the audience to reflect on their own lives and the real world around them, while on the opposite end of the spectrum you have wish-fulfillment empowerment fantasies trying their hardest to make the audience forget their real lives. But I'm sure convincing yourself that all fiction is equality escapistic makes you feel better about wasting your time by watching garbage.

Because NHK already exists

Why's it always gotta be escape? Why can't it be there to highlight the good things? If making music is what makes me wake up every day, there's nothing "escape" about that. It's a part of life just like anything else. For me, it's the goal, not the detour.

It should be the same for any kind of entertainment.

Does it matter? Even if one show is making you feel good, while other is making you reflect, you are ultimately watching some show, escaping from real life. What emotion it incites doesn't change how your time is being spent, only your emotional state during that time. You're confusing wish fulfillment with escapism. They're related, but not the same.

>idiots still defending Marche

These are the people who will ruin your life in reality. Horrible people you should have nothing to do with ever.

That's not escapism. That's augmenting your life with things that make you happy. Escapism is when you do other things rather than face the problems that you must deal with. Watching anime instead of doing things you're supposed to be doing, which is subjective, is escapism.

If nothing exists except for you, and you are god in the sense that anything you imagine becomes physical reality, what would you do?

Everything. From trying out cool super powers, to eating anything I like, to lots of fug. Everything.

Elaborate.

Un-tang and wait for her, probably.

Did everybody forget that Doned led Marche to a hitjob in a Jagd? You know, the place where you die for fucking good? He literally tried to get his brother Assassinated.

Fucking cripple.

But you could be facing a problem you have in life during the time you spend playing around with a guitar. Doesn't matter if you enjoy it. Doesn't matter if it's your goal. You're not fixing your problems, so it's escapism.

Define wasting time.

>brother trying to destroy your fantasy world
>not having him taken out so he can never interfere

Doing anything that doesn't involve facing the inevitable hardships of your life.

I try to understand who I am, so that I can make something else like me.

That probably involves making people, observing and talking to them.

Disappear.

>inevitable hardships
There is no such thing. You ultimately choose to face any hardship you come across.

It does. One has a lot higher chance of motivating you to change you life for the better and possibly stop wasting so much time. The other only reinforces your habit to ignore the problems you have in real life. I guess you could label all fiction escapism but it's clear not all fiction is equally damaging to it's audience.

Because spreading your buttcheeks and taking a huge steaming shit on your core audience is not a good way to sell figurines.

But it worked with Eva.

That was more about the waifu wars.

FFTA anime when? With Isekai being the big thing in this era, it would fit perfectly

What do you mean change my life for the better? If I'm watching something, having fun, my life IS better. If I'm getting what I want, if I'm having fun, what else can make it better? To support my hobby, I would have to work. To "escape" is to make my life better. Who the fuck are you to say that's time being waste?

We'll probably get the stupid shit with Luso in FFTA2 instead. It has more qt3.14 waifus. Plus, they can shill FFXII along with it.

Define better, I don't define working yourself into the grave for your corporate overlords as changing your life for the better

Escapism would involve actually escaping something. At best, pursuing your hobbies is procrastination. Calling something escapism just sounds like normalfag conciliation.

Does it? FFTA2 had that thief girl, and Frimelda, who joins way too late. FFTA had Ritz and her bunny fried.

I didn't mind Luso, but I liked Adelle a lot better. Shame her Heritor class isn't all that great.

>will ruin your life in reality
>in reality
Is this a bait or are you this retarded?

>brother wanted him to stop hating himself for being a cripple by realizing that not being able to walk doesn't mean he's useless
>get him assassinated

I would split myself in two. Let one half create a world and a story. Strip the latter half of memories and power, and let it go on an adventure in that world.

As opposed to ruin your life online

FFTA2 also had the dragon girls race as party members and the main villain doesn't look half bad too.

>Why don't more anime discuss the theme of escapism?

But they do it all the fucking time. I'm pretty sure this season that series of the neet cake who plays videogames will address it in someway as the whole plot is around the fictional life and the difference of the reality.

In other words: LURK MOAR

The bulk of the turd was aimed at humanity itself, though.

>able to walk again
>makes tons of money selling info
>has a lot of friends and acquaintances
>brother wants to be a cunt and take that away from you because muh escapism

>One has a lot higher chance of motivating you to change you life for the better and possibly stop wasting so much time.
Who the fuck are you to define people having fun as a "waste of time", you fucking twat? Do you think people who do nothing but go to parties, drinking alcohol until they throw up and fuck without any thought about STD or unwanted pregnancy is a somehow "better life"? Why the fuck is escapism so frowned upon when you have people who beat their wife/husband and children, some who do drugs until they become fucking dangers to other people, and so on? If anything, people who enjoy their escapism are doing a good thing because they are not dangerous to other people, they don't bother them, and they don't do things that would become problematic sooner or later: they just enjoy their stress-relieving method and can continue being happy. Sure, it might be dangerous to them but that's actually none of your concern.

Why isnt he in FF14 Yet either. Ivalace is in charge now so he should at least make a cameo

Well luso's FUN ADVENTURE TIME game is not bad either. Id enjoy either of them animated

This is all good in theory, but what if you have people who depend on you (i.e children, spouse etc.) but you are too busy watching anime or playing videogames to help them when they need a hand?

>people who depend on you
Where do you think you are?

Your argument is like that of a spoilt brat who thinks wasting money buying shit for instagram likes is how you should live life.

Escapism is bad because it ends up being what you do in all situations there on.

>beating your family
>drinking/drugging yourself to the point of becoming an actual danger to you and others
>spreading STDs
>giving birth to children who will become basket cases due to non-existent/bad parenting

>all good in theory
Whew.

So escapism is just another word for procrastination?

I'm not even sure what wish fulfillment means, it seems equally vague as a term anons wield to accuse fans of shows they dislike of character flaws.

Escapism is fine in moderation (like a lot of things), but not so much if it consumes your entire life.

>what if you have people who depend on you
That's only going to be the case if you wanted them. If you enjoyed having them. Because you wanted them. No one marries you against your wish. If you wanted that, then you're going to take care of that. If you didn't, the marriage falls apart. But if you didn't even want it, it falling apart isn't really a bad thing for you. The only point different part would be children. You can't just disown them if you don't like them. That's avoiding responsibility.

Beating the weak and doing drugs are too forms of escapism, one making you feel more important than you are and the other literally changing your brain chemistry to escape to drugland

Taking care of your problems one by one is also a form of escapism. It makes you feel good, while you could be taking care of ALL your problems at the same time.

FFTA had the better story, but TA2 had the better gameplay. Both had good characters.

Kind of a shame about XII: Revenant Wings similarly, it had a good story and great characters, but the gameplay was atrocious.

My waifu is actually from FFTA so id really love to see that getting some love since she has literally maybe 3 pieces of fan art worth saving throughout pixiv, boorus and even deviant art

But yea, maybe with Ivalace alliance in charge of 14, we might get some nice little tidbits there

I liked FFTA2's Vierra Idol Group. I actually tried finding hacks/cheats that allows me to add or use their sprites.

Because there's enough of that shit already.
Stop being new.

>That earlygame clan who lost a member to a crushatrice and their leader is on a personal crusade for vengeance
>You help them recruit a new member and kill the crushatrice
>They thank you for helping them find peace
>Later you find all of them being comically evil doing mercenary work to kick out two rival clans you had just negotiated peace towards and you have to beat them
wtf

Make my waifu real and grow an 8inch cock.

>escapism
Escapism is about curing the symptoms not the root cause. There is something you are unhappy with like work, relationships, yourself, ext, and instead of fixing the problem that makes you unhappy you preform an activity that makes you feel good when you're doing like drugs, vidya, anime...

>wish fulfillment
When a show is made so that the intended audience can live vicariously through the MC. Examples include harems and all light novels.

>escapism
So escapism is a property of the act, not the tool with which it is exercised. This seems to be in conflict with 's notion of "escapistic" fiction, where fiction that forces self-reflection is inherently "less escapistic" than fiction that doesn't, regardless of the motives of the consumer. (Not saying you hold this view, just contrasting it with it.)

>wish fulfillment
So whether a work is wish fulfillment is contingent on authorial (or editorial) intent. This seems to run the usual risk of misinterpretation and projection, and to my experience has indeed done so multiple times here on Sup Forums.

>someone is fucking with me in the real world
>I will just enter my pretend mind games so I can avoid getting my fee-fees hurt
It is escapism! Can't you see? It's not healthy!

That's like going to buy bananas but instead they take your banana.

Dunno if you're still here, but I guess I see it this way. Say you fix your problems - then you have the world's problems, and you can't turn a blind eye to those either. You can play whack a mole with problems for your entire life if you want to, and you'll never do it all by yourself.

Humans want new things, too. They don't just want to correct what they already have. Some people are better at that than they are at being a superhero, and vice versa.

In general, spending too much time on a single time at once causes a person to lose focus and efficiency. People need time to recharge and let their subconscious work out the answers to the questions they asked in their active time. That's the only way I ended up here, after all.

I think a common form of escapism today is the kind where a person thinks "the world sucks but my life is relatively okay so I there's no point in trying to do better." I also think that people internally have an idea of how much effort they're honestly putting into their life.

By definition escapism is the act of avoiding reality. But not all activities enable this avoidance to the same extent. Same applies the works of fiction.

>Examples include harems and all light novels.
Then apply that shit to the whole medium.
Women watch romantic shoujo with the female lead because they want to be like them because wishful thinking.
Your average kid watch shonen series with a baddas hero because they want to be like them with their wishful thinking.
Your average mechafag are wishful thinking because they want to be the pilot of the mecha show they watch.
Your average moefag is wishful thinking because they want to be a little girl doing cute things.
Little girls watch mahou shoujo because they want to be like them because wishful thinking.
Fujoshi watch sports anime because they want to be like the female manager of their show because wishful thinking.
Mushishifags and all pretentiousfags watch their shows with their stoic hipster mc because wishful thinking.
Lesbians watch yuri anime because wishful thinking.
Anyone watch shows with mcs of their same gender touching themes they like/know because wishful thinking.
Etc,etc,etc.

Complaining about lns and harems just shows your biased perception and intent, how about reflecting about why somebody would waste his time preaching on some random internet board? what is he trying to escape? go savior of the land with your sjw brigade to fight for the world, go go.

>implying there's a reality to escape from
>implying anything other than your own consciousness actually exists

It WAS the real world twisted by reality warping magic so that everyone that wasn't Mewt or his 3 friends got screwed over

Speaking about that, I think that Mewt's "mom" was just a fake created by the magic, but was Cid a fake too, or was the original one with a new role and personality? I vaguely remember him being a loser in real life

He wasn't a loser, he used to be very successful but once Mewt's mom died, he sort of fell apart. Mewt hated it so he made Cid the king and the judgemaster, but then Cid starts thinking maybe it was he who actually wanted to change from being a weak person into someone nobody could stand up to.