ITT: Sup Forums core you consider overrated

ITT: Sup Forums core you consider overrated.

No series that everyone knows is shit. Stuff that everyone else seems to love that you think is trash.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=aRfmo607jAQ
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

underrated imo

This is a manga for introverts. Are you one? Pretty understandable.

Punpun
Hoshi no Samidare
One Punch-Man
Gintama

It's hard to believe any one person could dislike all of these

Neon Genesis Evangelion
I liked Episode 19 and EoE but the rest was a disappointment for something Sup Forums regards as the best of all time.

You don't have to dislike something to think it's overrated. I'd agree with him on Punpun and OPM and I liked both of those.

>Sup Forums core

it's a very /out/ manga, yes

What manga?

Most of UC Gundam is actually bad. 0079 was the only good one, Zeta, ZZ, CCA, Unicorn, and all of those extra OVAs and Movies that i've watched range from meh to genuinely bad.

kokou no hito

It's just your average ecchi but for betas

You can think something is overrated without thinking it's trash you fucking hipster troglodyte.

Idk if it's overrated here but overall I'd say it's underrated

fuck you

Kurumi is the best.

Biscuit Hammer is ok but pretty much everything else the mangaka has made after it is better.

Eden. Not trash, but I don't think I've heard anyone dislike it.

Tokyo Ghoul:re - While never being outright great, it had its moments in the first series, but the second? While still do have some of them (like Urie development) the rest became almost unbearable with concepts put one chapter just to 2 chapters after a new 'plot twist' occurs over and over again.

Hoshi no Samidare - I like it, I give a 7, but I'm not sure why some anons love to masturbate to it so much, it had some moments, but the overall story wasn't all that good and spirit circle is way better.

BHA - I just outright dislike the whole idea of superheroes from comics, now throw a place where everyone has powers, why don't just have them be the fucking police?
I mean, I know it's fucking manga, but it just bothers me too much on a fundamental level and when I even tried anyway, the MC has a power that has ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to do with what they set up his character to be (smart/calculative) and just straight up almost kill himself every time he uses it, going through the most retard trope of fighting series.

It appealed to many of my tastes but i agree

Retarded.
The imaginary fights, the caveman arc, the artwork, all terrible.

The second to last chapter is one of the most beautiful chapters I've ever read. Heartbreaking to read especially with the Amazing Grace lyrics in the background. I actually cried reading it and I still get teary eyed thinking about it. I'd recommend the manga for that chapter alone. Besides that though, its pretty average and poorly written. You could tell the author had no clue where to take the story at times. Gets too much praise that it clearly does not deserve.

>muh speculah
>muh piss episode

I dropped it on the first volumes.

>samidare
its the perfect shounen i don't understand you
do you enjoy DBS?

>perfect shounen
certainly you meant fma

Now that is an overrated piece of average.

I too think it's a little overrated, but it's genuinely better than hoshi no samidare in almost every aspect.

fma = 8.5
hns = 7

No, I meant it when I said average. FMA is a 5.

Lain is actually terrible. HR even has a better approach to technology than Lain.

i like FMA and its got a special place in my heart, but samidare has genuine drama, and FMA is so often melodramatic

Samidare doesn't exchew god-level power mechanics either, where FMA becomes retarded. If you can apparate matter

You didn't get Lain, or you didn't grow up wth the internet and I'm not sure which

I'm nearly 30 so I sure as hell grew up with the internet, and I did 'get it'.
It's Marxist and Jungian nonsense.

HR is better. You're an isolated fedorafag, so CLEARLY it is above your head.

>marxist
oh god, here we go with "post modernism and marxism"

you don't even understand the terms you shill about for your talk radio master, not to mention the thousands of Balkan teenagers you made rich

back to Jones friend

OPM is the only one on there that's actually shit.

check other A threads there are 'further' explanations for brainlets

ggwp meet me online

I do understand the terms. I'm not even using Marxist as a connotation you illiterate fuck. I'm using it as a description of the series' approach to human-technology relations.
I understand it though. Perhaps you are the brainlet for liking a bad series.

Hoshi no Samidare
I got fifteen chapters into it when my computer died and I just forgot that I had even started it. By the time I remembered I had no interest in going back. The biggest takeaway I got from what I read is that the dog guy was introduced, did basically nothing, then died. He hadn't been around long enough to develop any attachment to him. I didn't feel shocked or sad or really anything when he died. All I thought was "already?" It just seemed like a waste of character.
It really seemed like the audience was supposed to think he was cool and strong because the author told us he was. He didn't have to show him being strong, he just said that he was then assumed that when he died that would make it a big deal.
I feel like most of the time people on Sup Forums are used to series having pacing that's too slow. You get stuff like Dragon Ball where the arcs slow to a crawl and just drag. Hoshi no Samidare had the opposite problem. It was way too fast. He was shitting out plot so fast that there was no time left to develop the characters. I was nearly a quarter of the way through the series and I can't say a single thing about either of the leads. I don't remember their personalities or their motivations, I'm not sure they had any. There was just nothing there in the end.

>There was just nothing there in the end.
>he says about a manga he barely read
lol

I read a quarter of the series. If I'm a quarter in and I can't tell you why anything has been happening that's a problem. That's not barely any of the series, that's a huge chunk. That's well past the point at which you can say you've judged something. And there was nothing there. I'm not even sure what they were accomplishing. I don't know why the characters did anything. They just had nothing to them.
If you get more than a volume into the series and can't even describe the characters' personalities then that's bad writing. I should have been entering the second act, not waiting for the series to actually start.

i thought it was poorly paced and only worthy of the praise after rewatch where the disconnected nature of Lain's behaviour was natural
>marxism
youtube.com/watch?v=aRfmo607jAQ
What do you refer to when you infer Marx's depiction of the importance to man and technology?

You are truly lost, user.

Seems more likely that you're just a speed reader, since by that point the characters' motivations have been set up, the plot is in motion, and the tension of the main characters' duplicity has begun to develop. Consider this, which is more likely? That you, who read fifteen chapters has a solid grasp of the manga, or that the many, many people who finished it and thinks it's great do?

of technology*
he doesn't like art ;_;

Kokou no Hito is anime for people who don't think but like to pretend they do.

Are you stupid or just stupid?
>i thought it was poorly paced and only worthy of the praise after rewatch where the disconnected nature of Lain's behaviour was natural
This isn't even a coherent sentence.

I wouldn't take it was far as you did with the criticism, the writing definitely has flaws but they're very clearly when no mountains are involved, whenever he's not on a mountain the story turns a a bit melodramatic but other than that it was really solid. Having said that It actually makes me realize that it fits very well with the story because the dude can really only be at peace when he's climbing, he just doesn't belong on the normal world below, it's too much for him.

the first third of the series is much better appreciated when you have the knowledge of what transpires in the later half

I can understand the appeal but thought it was very poorly done.

Agree even though the pissing scenes had me rock hard.

By that logic everything must be good because everything has fans. You might as well say that Game of Thrones is a bastion of brilliant writing because every other person at the water cooler says so.

As to the motivations, they may have been there. Even if they were they just weren't memorable. I read a about a year ago, and I don't remember anything. I can't say that about most manga I've read, not even other ones I've dropped.
Like I said, I forgot that I'd been reading it. I lost the bookmark when my computer died and didn't remember that I'd started it for months afterword. The series left no impression. I think the only series less memorable that it that I've read have been a handfull of boring slice of life like Yumekuri or Morita-san wa Mukuchi.

What I can say in favor of it is that the art's really good. Mizukami has a great style that does work really well for shonen. He puts it to much better use in Spirit Circle though, a series with interestingly developed and very memorable characters.

I'm saying that you have no right to judge the series, because you didn't finish it. Do you judge books by their first quarter, too? Ridiculous.

I think most of the tg "general" would agree with you that its shit

The idea is there but the writing doesn't hold the themes up. It flip-flops the entire series on what world the protagonist belongs to without ever acknowledging it in the work or the writing.

A lot of people think the series grew its balls after the timeskip but I thought that was when it got really bad, because it lost any direction. It's a coming of age story where the protagonist never actually grows up and nothing is taught, and the last chance to salvage it by either killing him in the mountain or letting him abandon it is thrown out for a half-baked epilogue.

I'm not the guy you quoted but it bothers me so much when I see this series held up around Sup Forums because the writing is absolutely awful from a technical perspective. There's just so much in it that's unnecessary, so much that goes nowhere, and so much that falls apart when you stop for a moment and think the plot over.

I read like, the first 3 volumes and wasn't able to get caught on it. I'm kind of surprised how bored I was of it, because I heard such good things about it.

If the first quarter of the book is garbage, why should I finish it? If you can't grab people's attention at the begging then you are a bad writer. There's a reason why the three episode rule exists: something might start weak sure so give it a bit of a chance, but once you've reached that far into something it should have done something to draw the reader's interest. If it can't do that, then it's a problem with the work.

What manga

While I sort of agree I think the manga also had enough high points to counteract the weaker parts. I don't think perfect equals to great or imperfect to bad. Think that a 5/10 manga with handful of 10/10 moments is worth more than a manga that is 7/10 consistently.

I've rewatched it.

If you can't pay attention enough to remember character motivations, you're a poor reader. If you then proceed to judge an entire work with quite literally no understanding of it, you're an idiot. It's quite clear from the series general popularity that grabbing interest is not its problem. I really, genuinely, think you must not be very intelligent.

I think the writing is not that great at some parts throughout the story but I couldn't agree with you at all, I just don't see how it lost direction? It might not having been a coming of age story in the generic sportsy way it was before the timeskip but it was still a self discovery story about a man dealing with his inner demons and unfolding his passion in life. There's just nothing redeemable about the story before the timeskip, it's almost offensive how generic it was set out to be.

You saved yourself some time because it doesn't really improve or anything. It's all over the place is a good way of putting it.

I know that this is a troll at this point, but fuck
it, I'm in an arguing mood.

First off, I can remember character motivations for almost everything I've read except for this. This is a rare exception. I gave it as much attention as anything else I read, but it was just so uninteresting that looking back I couldn't tell you a thing about it aside from the fact that one guy had a lizard, another guy had a dog, then the dog guy died. I think they were trying to destroy the world, but I'm not sure. Was his motivation just depression?

Aside from that, you keep say that the series' popularity factors into why I'm wrong about it's quality. This argument only works if you assume that something has to be good to be popular. By that logic Naruto and Bleach are two of the best manga ever made, after all so many people love them, and what's more likely; that all of the people on Sup Forums who think Naruto is trash are wrong, or that the hundreds of thousands of other fans that love it are wrong?

How do you even judge something that you didn't understand and can't even bother to remember? Your shit memory isn't a valid arguement against the story.
That said, Hoshi no Samidare didn't seem like such a great thing to me. I didn't give a fuck about any character besides the main duo and some of the deaths were fucking retarded. The one criticism of yours that I accept is the fast pacing, the battles just kept happening with barely any time for the characters to develop till they were at death's doors and it relied too much on sudden surprises or twists.
Also, the time traveling brothers were underdeveloped as fuck, to the point that the author just gave them one lazy flashback chapter and was done with it.

>How do you even judge something that you didn't understand and can't even bother to remember?
The fact that I can't remember it is what I'm judging it on. If something leaves no impact then that is the problem. The only feeling I remember is vague disappointment when the dog guy died.
And the issue isn't just that my memory's shit. As I've said, this is a problem unique to this series. Things I read longer ago and less of left a bigger impact on me.

Thinking about it, I've never even seen anyone say anything about the series other than "It's really good" "The best shonen" or "anime when". As someone who liked it, and seems to have a decent handle on both what it did well and poorly what are the characters personalities and motivations. Why were they doing anything that they were doing? This thread has made me more curious that the series itself did, and I want to see if the fans can actually describe it.

>Tokyo Ghoul:re
user, just because it has a general doesn't mean Sup Forums as a whole thinks it's good. See also: Boruto, DBS, etc.

I should also add that I'm at least glad that someone agrees with me that there area pacing and character issues with the series. While I admittedly haven't argued about this much on the board normally any criticism of it is met with "no it isn't, it's literally perfect" with no explanation.

I'm not even going to say it's shit and you're wrong for liking it. I just couldn't drum up any interest. If you did enjoy it then good for you. It's not like there's anything offensively bad about it or anything, I just find it weird that it's held up as being clearly one of the greatest manga ever written when it has as many flaws as any other series.

Thinking back, I may have enjoyed it at least somewhat if it wasn't for the hype. It definitely still wouldn't be among my favorites, but the extra layer of disappointment with it may have tipped it over the edge.

I've seen you give a similar criticism before, and while it's been some years since I read it, I don't remember it being as strict about this one-world-or-the-other decision as you seem to. Am I forgetting some obvious/explicit moment where it was laid out? Either way, I definitely wouldn't call it a coming-of-age story. I do agree with what other people have said about the off-mountain drama being weak, though.