Are Lotte and Sucy glorified side-kicks?

Are Lotte and Sucy glorified side-kicks?

No.

Then what are they and why are they so irrelevant? Akko can clearly function and develop perfectly without them around. An automatic broom would have led her to the same resolution.

Sucy is the MC

In the OVAs the spotlight was pretty equal between the three

The TV series Akko and Diana are the focus, every other student is a side character of varying relevance

Sucy has no bearing in the story. She was never involved in the main plot and Akko didn't develop in any significant way from their interactions or relationship.

I wouldn't even say they are glorified

Nah, Sucy was clearly an extra in the movie. Even B-Team played a bigger part than her. In fact, Sucy was the only one who didn't get any sort of unique scene to show off her abilities while trying to keep the Rod away from the giant. Enchanted Parade was primarily about Akko and Lotte. Which is why it's by far the weakest piece of LWA media; the animation and the new characters are the only good parts.

no but Akko's a glorified sidekick to Diana

They don't even qualify as side-kicks. By the end of the show they are just assets that get brought along the flow of the story. One of the biggest fails of the TV series is that it reduced the chemistry between the trio to nothing somewhere in S1. They should have just replaced Lotte/Sucy with Diana from the first place if that's the way the story is heading to.

Only Akko, Diana and Chariot really matter in the narrative
But it would feel very empty without the rest of the cast

>They should have just replaced Lotte/Sucy with Diana from the first place if that's the way the story is heading to.
They should've just made Diana mc since Akko's a good for nothing cunt like the rest of luna shitva anyway

For the plotless first half Diana is the antagonist until they introduce Croix.

This. There is nothing wrong with "flavor" characters.

There was just no way to actually integrate Sucy and Lotte into the story; even in the first cour, Diana always had air of importance and relevance around her. Sucy and Lotte felt like typical friend characters that merely get tangentially involved in the story due to being MC's friends.

>Glorified
That implies they do anything outside of the typical sidekick behaviors, which they do not.

Though at least they did each receive their own focus episode. The night fall shenanigans for Lotte, and the whole dream escapade for Sucy.

>This. There is nothing wrong with "flavor" characters
There is actually.
Proper writing should make proper use of every single character introduced.
Making a character for the sole purpose of "being there" are the workings of a hack.

There are plenty of slice of life shows with characters that have no narrative role. From K-ON to New Game.

Oh, good, a LWA thread, I was thinking you guys were finally ran out of Sup Forums, now tell me, what on earth is this? Is it a gaiden chapter released only in Japan?

That doesn't make them good.

No, it's a doujin. Taiwanese, I think?

I thought Croix was in jail, yet she's here and she's kinda awesome with the poncho and googles much better than the lesbian hair and bondage villain cape

It's a doujin? But it looked just like the show and everyone was in character

Some are better at this than others.

It's a taiwanese doujin by adelie.

Lotte has thematic relevance; her story with Nightfall and passive personality shows a different side of Akko's crazed fandom.

The art is clearly doujin, though. It's good, but not official good.