What was it like discussing anime on the internet in the early to mid 2000s?

what was it like discussing anime on the internet in the early to mid 2000s?
like back when naruto and bleach started blowing up, where did people congregate and what were the conversations like

Other urls found in this thread:

groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/rec.arts.anime.misc/9HeuivZwu1U
groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/rec.arts.anime.misc/Anhfl56YisY
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

It wasn't a constant "us vs them" and it was mostly tolerable, I miss it.

online games during waiting time for other guild mates

>It wasn't a constant "us vs them" and it was mostly tolerable
The fuck it wasn't lol. It was 12 year olds arguing

RIFs.

As an oldfag, I have to say, Sup Forums was always bad. It's just that back then there was more excitement over what was going on. Like code geass sundays, the little pranks moot would pull like changing the board with some music or whatever, it felt alive. There were militant saucefags who hated everyone, streams were absolute shit and called shit, there would always be at least one thread about how MPC player was the best and VLC is shit. I think that VLCsnap criticism is still around, right?
Anyways, I was the first guy to post the Kami no shizuku page FROM SUCH A HEIGHT, and people ran with it so I feel like I'm special even though I'm obviously a faggot.
The excitement and the original content like the Sup Forums rage cartoons that would get crossboarded for gurren langann brought a special sort of community to the place.
I think my favorite part was the accelerator spammer and ta_ga and l_nced j_ack tripfags.
There was this one time moot changed all the anonymous names to either ta_ga or L_nced j_ack. It was amusing to see people get so mad, and then never ever stop talking about how much they hated each other.

Back in the early '00s it was really common for people to hang out on small forums of 20ish~ to a few thousand users. Gamefaqs and Gaia had reasonable animefag populations. Dunno about the older weebs, I was thirteen in '05 when I started using Sup Forums.

I remember that FMA, Champloo, and Eureka 7 were all the rage, Evangelion was being talked about of course. Code Geass was a big deal when it came out. It was popular to poop on Narutards. There was also less division among boards, and Sup Forums had a lot more shitposting of the "roody poo candy ass shoop da woop stingraids party van" type stuff. Maybe mature adults were having conversations but I was mostly flinging poop and getting banned and laughing and changing my IP and so were all of my friends.

I thought it was magical symbols that I didnt understand but I recently found out it was supposed to be a smiley face. My life was a lie

Sup Forums has always hated anime but it was more fun when the board was animu & mango. Mods were not such uptight cunts and allowed the board to be more diverse. Nightime Sup Forums was classy as fuck, there used to be threads of depressed dudes cheering each other and sharing experiences on how anime and weeaboo stuff stopped them from jumping off a bridge. There used to be waifu wish fullfillment /tg/ threads too, they were off-topic but allowed for some reason (which I appreciate). And I also remember looking forward to r/a/dio fridays with Kuma-sensei every week, don't know what happend to him and the threads.
Overall I think Sup Forums started to become dull and less diverse since moot left and I find myself visiting the place less ofthen because threads are usually the same plain discussions of seasonal series, the ocassional translator uploadin a new manga chapter and nothing else.

Mods being more strict is largely what drove away oldfags and charm from this board, imo. They just banned Sakurafish recently.

I understand banning shitposters and some unrelated stuff, but the /tg/, nighttime Sup Forums and streaming threads were fun and made the board feel fresh and active. Now it's just the same seasonal shit and it doesn't help that most shows in recent seasons have been hot garbage.
Last time I remember visiting Sup Forums at least twice a week was for the weekly threads when Concrete Revolutio was airing.

there was a lot less weirdo incel waifu shit, which made it better. people didn't go into series with an expectation that it would feed their manchild egos by spawning endless high school girls to mill into masturbation fodder and they didn't rage out when a female character had a boyfriend. honestly the neet turbofan element has completely changed Sup Forums's entire texture. also I'm not saying there weren't basement-dwellers and people who jerked off to figma. it was just a different mindset. less entitlement. there wasn't this baked-in assumption that a show would cater to the whims and comforts of horrifying buenos. we used to laugh at those people, now it's assumed we are them.

the smaller crowd also gave it a clubbier atmosphere. like is saying, there were things happening. now it's just such a grind.

I hate myself for still being here.

I only came back today for the Urahara thread but Sup Forums doesn't even like that series it seems.

>they didn't rage out when a female character had a boyfriend
Really now? I haven't frequent here since two years ago but I thought Sup Forums did this ironically.

Sup Forums went to shit years before moot left. When he got thirsty for traffic and created /q/ things quickly went to shit. By the time sage was made invisible and "go back to *****t" went into the spam filter, this place had gone far past the point of no return. moot did plenty to fuck up Sup Forums before leaving, I have no idea why anyone sucked his dick when he left.
Now half the board is full of retards crying about pantyshots like every other cancerous shithole, and the other half are cancerous tryhards wondering when a show should be hated for reaching a certain popularity threshold. Current mods are nofunallowed faggots that have gone on a witch hunt for boogeymen that were never a real issue, while simultaneously ignoring off topic shitposters and other assorted cancer.

>I just came to Sup Forums from anitwitter last year: the post

It was the most embarrassing shit ever. Every other anime forum had a roleplaying forum where he pitted our bad fanfiction mary sues against each other.
If you were one of the cool kids, you got a custom signature from the one of the two guys on the forum who knew how to use photoshop filters.

The Internet was much smaller back then, if you decided to join a community you sorta have this certain mindset to dedicate yourself to it, lotta gem and quality content back then too, you dont see that shit in Sup Forums anymore nowadays. For a lack of better word, Sup Forums was more fun when it was more "autistic"

Nowadays Sup Forums fucked itself in the ass with its "if you ignore it then it will go away " mindset. What you fags dont understand is that it was / is exactly this mindset that turned Sup Forums and Sup Forums into the cancerous shit holes that they are. I think it started back when mods started forcing nurutu down Sup Forums 's throat.

Hell, from what i can see you niggers are now cancerous enough to accept "shipping" - a term that came from and reek of tumblr, a term that was looked at with much disdain in the past - to have full blown discussion threads about it. Spoonfeeding is rampage, nuruto thread is a normal occurrence now, nobody bats an eyes at emoticons anymore and i am sure that 90% of the fags in DragonBall super threads are from Sup Forums

I've been on Sup Forums since 2008

kill me

No you fucking retard, back then people were as much entitled stupid fucks as they are today. In fact, the lack of both SJWs and internet nazis made the stupidity more apparent because you can't hide behind highfalutin' ideologies peddled by pretentious youtube cunts.

>Current mods are nofunallowed faggots that have gone on a witch hunt for boogeymen that were never a real issue, while simultaneously ignoring off topic shitposters and other assorted cancer.
Yeah I'm waiting for comfy KF threads to return.

I was on smaller Anipike forums/IRC back in the late 90s-early 00s. I did a short stint on Animesuki and BakaBT too when they were still new.

After lurking on Newgrounds for cheats in my hentai flash games I came across the old loli board and Sup Forums around 2004ish.

Sup Forums started to get worse around the mid-00s and it was a downward spiral since.

It was though. Sup Forums pretty much defined itself by NOT being gaia.

I only remember being a general retard on AOL's Evangelion forum and begging for Excel Saga fansubs on some other Internet forum.

>12 year olds
>Knowing how to connect to the internet
>Knowing how to connect to IRC

No, user.

that was totally a thing man. people continually seem less capable as things become easier but when there's a will there's a way. 12 year olds used to post on fucking bbs boards in the 80s and that shit is arcane even by the standards of the late 90s

Sometimes I can hardly believed we made it out of the "every repost is repost repost" complaining days and into an era where people post the same exact image multiple times in a single thread somehow and not a word of complaint is heard. It feels like the blink of an eye.

>nighttime
>implying everyone lives on the same time zone

I'm just glad I never visited anime communities during my formative anime years. If I had , I would probably hate anime now like nearly everyone else does. I was able to make up my own mind and not get memed into bandwagons like K-On being worse than every liveleak video combined.

Just because 12 year olds don't know how to do it now doesn't mean that they didn't know how to do it then.

yeah, normalfags really ruined Sup Forums

Yeah I guess you're right. I remember my schoolmates in 6th and 7th grade having IRC "battles" over who had admin or voice and banning each other from channels.

Discord is kind of bringing that back a bit.

I used BBS when I was about twelve and knew how to do stuff like load mouse drivers in DOS.

>Spoonfeeding is rampage
What is this meme revisionist history?

Back then asking for sauce was normal and people would post sauce after a while, especially for hentai stuff.

This retarded le no spoonfeeding meme that causes more unnecessary shit started only 5-7 years ago.

It was just as dumb, but less cancerous because people actually liked the stuff they were talking about.

i only miss the fact shitposting was more tolerable back then. shitposting is what makes coming to Sup Forums worth it.

also, i kinda like ronery threads. they were a fun break

What makes it worse is these mods killed OPTs because every single one of them contain arguments about spoonfeeding that stretches for the entirety of the thread. I've actually seen people crop the pages slightly so you can't image search it no matter what. It's gotten this bad.

Should have done it like /h/, post the sauce and if the poster still can't read then that's their problem.

Other than .gifs and .webms nobody asks for sauce anymore in there.

Tell me again how spoonfeeding is wrong? "muh super sekrit animu club" is not an argument, you found them on b_toto for fucks sake.

not him but most people who request sources never even bothered to put in effort. even those who googled never scroll down to other results or try to open the other sizes tab. all opt especially when a h image is posted tend to go to shit with nothing but "source?" bumps, and its irritating.

Fun. The most annoying people were the shippers, but they were easy to avoid. Now days kids act like they are entitled to everything and incapable of enjoying something without bitching day and night like their lives depend on it.

People discussed who was best girl: Rei or Asuka.

>people actually liked the stuff they were talking about.
I can't even imagine what that must have been like.

It was extremely faggoty but it was also really fun.

Now we all we have are people hiding behind several layers of "irony", really homogenous content/posts thats meant to appeal to every normalfag out there trying to fit in, and the actual shameless retards that don't know what the fuck they're talking about.

>people actually liked the stuff they were talking about
Lots of people here still like the shows they watch, it's just that there's always a very vocal group that, for whatever reason, seems to take it personally when someone likes something they don't. Just look at how mad people got about Kemono Friends.
At least we haven't gone full Sup Forums yet. I'll never stop being bitter about what happened to that board.

It's not, if the poster asking is being sincere. Sup Forums has gone off the deep end with the paranoia, you can't start a discussion that's not about a specific show without everyone telling you to fuck off for fishing for recommendations. It's no wonder the board was overwhelmed with generals and repetitive shitposting, as normal discussion was effectively forbidden for the sake of petty elitism.

I'm convinced that high quality anime discussion has never existed ever

At least not on the internet

Back then I mostly posted on Narutoforums. I think it's still around. I moved to Club Bleach later, but that website is gone now.

Probably because you’re too retarded and incapable to hold one yourself, user.

People weren't ironic weeaboos just legitimate weeaboos. People were so sincere about anime they would literally flat out admit to the belief that Japan is the greatest nation on earth and they are going to move there. Now everyone hides this opinion behind irony. Also more use of emoticons pre 2010.

What is there even to discuss?

great contribution

Aaaagh, fuck.

I've hated the last 12 years I've spent with these faggots, but they're my only friends so it's a give and take.

Sup Forums seem to have a shitload of shills nowadays (at least compared to Sup Forums). That causes a lot of proxy wars between devs/publishers there, if I might speculate, which in itself causes a lot of chaotic shitstorm, attempts at opinion-building, etc.

I used to go to a Shoujo-Ai forum when I was young. One big thing I remember about it as compared to now is that there was a LOT less irony about liking anime then. People weren't nearly as bitter about the medium, and there was a lot of legitimate excitement. The jokes and posts were more dweeby, cheesy, and I'd likely look back in shame about it, but it was more innocent and genuine. People weren't as concerned about putting on an image like they are now.

That's actually the most pathetic part of Sup Forums: people are concerned about liking and not liking "acceptable" things on a fucking anonymous image board. I've learned to mostly ignore the haters. It also helps that if a thread is dedicated to a certain topic/genre/anime, generally the people who enjoy it flock to those threads. Just look at the AoT threads: despite that show being almost universally hated on Sup Forums (mostly for being popular), the threads that discuss it still get a lot of attention. A lot of folks obviously enjoy it.

Hell, even that shitty smartphone isekai anime had people genuinely enjoying it and discussing how much they enjoyed it. I personally think it was utter shit, that's why I didn't visit those threads.

I was on Sup Forums in the mid 00's, had a long break and just recently came back. The only real difference I noticed is that much more people are concerned about sex and loli stuff. You can't read any thread about a show with some sauce without someone going >pedobait or >fanservice shit and provoking uncomfy discussions.

Sup Forums is too strict these days. No fun allowed. Mods need to ease up bigtime.

The sticky was such a slap in the face.
>"Wahhh stop making the board boring!"
It's not our fault. You guys delete anything interesting or different paired with a 1-3 day ban.

>implying 12 year old me didn't download Opera to be different and fuck around with the inbuilt IRC
I didn't even know it was IRC until years later

Looking back at it Gaia wasn't that bad, at least not compared to current day cancer that plagues the internet.

Because if you cant find a shitty series by yourself by looking up the character name / reverse google search / use multiple image search for it then you arent welcome here

Retards like that should literally kill themselves

I've been using the internet since I was nine years old, 2001. Nintendo forums, MSN instant messenger and Runescape on AOL dial up. Still have a fucked up self-taught typing style.

Eh, really depends on what was asked.
If user asked nice and it was rather obscure or easy to miss he gets the answer with a little "speedreader-kun".
What gets me more is when it's readily available information and you can tell user is just a lazy cunt.

Gaia was just the forum equivalent of deviantart, mentally 10-12 year old people posting weird ass shit

>At least we haven't gone full Sup Forums

You wish, nigga

Check the Dragon Ball Super threads

Yeah, Sup Forums was just as terrible back in 2000-2004 as it is now.

>They just banned Sakurafish recently.
F ;-;

depends on the site/forum LJ/DA have always been cringey as fuck oddly gaia really was not as bad as people mak/de

2004-09ish Sup Forums was cool less elitist early imageboard culture was odd moot would post a lot replying to people randomly I kinda miss the panel and having no catalog

I miss the Sup Forums before narutards were allowed free reign. I miss even the mention of naruto grounds for ban. Sup Forums was truly the last bastion of Sup Forums uninfested by normies, and now that has fallen and this place is only scarcely better than Sup Forums

The main thing that killed Sup Forums was the userbase getting addicted to outrage. Every week, there's some new off-hand comment from a developer, or some big flop or disappointment, to flip out over and mock incessantly. It really feels like people are actively hunting for this stuff, or looking forward to it more than the games themselves. It's bred tons of idiotic mindsets and has massively degraded the quality of discussion all around. I remember going back there when No Man's Sky came out to see what people were saying, and the theads were basically indistinguishable from Twitch chat. In retrospect, Sup Forums was probably doomed the moment "rage" become a board-defining word.
If the thing about shills is true, they're just vultures picking at a corpse by now.

>Weird

If by weird you mean literally underaged fucks trying one up eachother in being LEL SO RANDUMB or I AM SUCH AN OTAKU XDDD, then yeah it was weird

I miss off-topic threads that would spawn from the most ridiculous ideas. People shared their interesting and often times weird knowledge, leading to quirky discussions that were really charming and maybe even educational to some degree.

Sup Forums isn't that bad. Want to see hell? Go check out what Sup Forums is these days.

>CTRL F
>0 results for newsgroups, usenet or rec.arts.anime.misc

new Sup Forums makes me sad

groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/rec.arts.anime.misc/9HeuivZwu1U

groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/rec.arts.anime.misc/Anhfl56YisY

> "shipping" - a term that came from and reek of tumblr

This is an ancient internet thread, and shipping is an ancient monster that predates Tumblr by far. If you want a more apt comparison, use LiveJournal, or fanfiction.net.

Or Gaia.

this fucking this is something Sup Forums mastered perfectly
>early/mid 90's
go away grandpa

It's just people being autistic and assuming wanting to talk about a given game is advertising.

Before the nurutard came, Sup Forums only really had BIG 3 threads when the releases were out. And boy, release day discussions were fucking rad, people legitimately discussed every single twist or possible outcome for the whole day. And then after all was said and done we waited another week

After the nurutards came, they fucking made One piece / Bleach / Nurutu thread every fucking day since it is pretty much all they know and care about. Then when they ran out of content they started this whole cancerous tumblr shipping shit as well as shitposting

Fuck moot and that one nurutard mod for forced this shit on Sup Forums

Bullshit, I heard there were constant shitshows in 2007 between TTGL and Lucky Star which were airing at the same time.

Most posters on Sup Forums used to be solely from North America and "night time Sup Forums, /k/, etc." was a thing, with insomniac burgers and the odd euros.
The site becoming more popular worldwide ruined that.

those posted discussions are literally from the time OP requested

So it's not even n endless summer at this point, it's an endless day of shitposting.

Sup Forums's downfall is the uncontrollable flow of information. Sup Forums doesn't have that problem because the majority of posters can't read japanese, so they aren't exposed to the overflow of garbage information that spreads on social media and news sites. The one example of Sup Forums-style bombardment of provocative white noise that exists on Sup Forums are those made up Miyazaki quotes.

>Sup Forums was once the third largest board
its like what #6/7 now

>Still have a fucked up self-taught typing style.
Same. I'd lose points in keyboarding classes for not doing the "home row" bullshit when I was above 150wpm in 6th grade. I'd fucking destroy anyone in my school in typing and get points taken off for using my index fingers too much. What a retarded system.

>the Sup Forums rage cartoons that would get crossboarded for gurren langann
So triggerfags were crossboarders even back in the day?

I wonder about the times.
I'm a eurofag and when I come home from work at ~ 4pm ( 7am est, 10am pst) threads are comfy aside from some anons shouting at each other if a show is good or not. But then at ~10pm ( 1pm est, 4pm pst ) the real bait posts begin. With heavy "this show is objectively bad" or "whoever likes this has a scat fetish" bait. Is this because the burgers are slowly coming on?

To be fair this still happens every once in a while depending on the circumstances

The christianity threads spawning out of Junketsu no Maria being a semi recent example

I remember how wikispammer used to flood the OP threads, and yet people would continue to have a civil discussions. Skip to today and general threads are just cancer.

>people never got to experience arguing about Gundam SEED over a chatroom while playing Unreal Gold

There is no way this isnt taiga, or one of the other tripfag freaks. If you honestly felt this way back then, then you are part of the cancer that killed Sup Forums. No one thought their attention whoring bullshit was 'fun'. Only the tripfags themselves say this.

It's because the burger userbase are bigger. Also, some leafs and spics.

Most of us were on dialup and downloaded via ftp. there was more social contact with online handles in irc. the concept of anonymous didn't really exist. if someone went into a room with user as a nick it would seem odd like they didn't bother to think of a name so why would you give them any respect.

Yeah the typing teacher didn't like me either. I mostly use two fingers on my right hand and three on my left and will use different fingers for the same key depending on where my hands are when typing a word, same goes for opportunistically using my ring finger on my right hand, but despite this had the second fastest WPM in the class. Unfortunately some homerow hapa kid had me beat so I couldn't entirely get away with it. At least there was an enormous gap between me and him and the rest.

Not to mention the anontalk spam. I also don't understand why the guy you quoted thought it was a fun time.

My thoughts exactly. It's beyond me how could anyone feel nostalgia for tripfags, let alone specifically those mentioned.

Because its a tripfag pretending that his brief 10 seconds of e-celebrity on an anonymous image board was more than just attention whoring cancer. These people unironically look back on their lives with pride because "one time i got moot to change the names to taiga and lanced jack". I shit you not, taiga still looks back fondly on that moment. The only thing is, nobody else does. So when they try and push this "haha it was fun, everyone liked it, we did it for fun" narrative, they out themselves immediately. Fucking tripfag cancer being pushed out is probably the only thing I prefer about Sup Forums nowadays.

anontalk was like what 2008/9 hardly that old

"Shipping" comes from Gaia.