ITT hated anime that you genuinely enjoy and consider more good than bad...

ITT hated anime that you genuinely enjoy and consider more good than bad. Not talking "so-bad-it's-good" appeal but actual qualities.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=3bw4pkJknGU&t=34m30s
youtube.com/watch?v=3bw4pkJknGU&t=1h59m35s
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Genma Taisen/Harmagedon is a single movie that tries to adapt a series of novels by Kazumasa Hirai based on a manga he did with Shotaro Ishinomori. The second half of this movie is a rushed mess the same way the entire Fist of the North Star movie is a rushed mess and it's absolutely impossible to care for every single member of the Captain Planet diversity crew because there was almost zero time to establish any kind of personality or camaraderie for them.

BUT. The Kanada climax is amazing, as is the first, more focused and less rushed half.

The first half had room to breathe and was expertly directed and allowed the movie to focus on mostly one character. The surreal stuff was really stylishly surreal...

...and the more realistic scenes were very down-to-earth. Jo discovering his psychic powers was a fucking glorious scene youtube.com/watch?v=3bw4pkJknGU&t=34m30s (watch until 37:00)

As for the climax I don't have to explain why that shit is amazing youtube.com/watch?v=3bw4pkJknGU&t=1h59m35s

The prevailing opinion is that is wasn't a very good movie, and is only notable for Kanada's animation but would you say it's not a waste of time for someone who doesn't want to watch a sow just for the animation?

Only ending was lackluster.

>and is only notable for Kanada's animation
Bullshit, it has plenty of good scenes. It's like that in the west maybe but Japanese user scores from what I've seen treat it fairly, a 3-star/3.5-star sort of film that's blatantly very flawed but still above-average and worth a look.

The second half is a rushed mess with a few good scenes, but the first half is consistently fantastic. It's worth watching in its entirety anyway, there's not JUST good animation but also legitimately good storytelling in the first half and top-notch direction overall.

It's a 6/10 movie if you're a normie, 7/10 if you particularly like old-school anime aesthetics and expressionistic direction. It's nowhere near the abomination westerners say it is - there's a lot of wasted potential (it could have easily been 2 or even 3 movies) but it's more good than bad.

The second half isn't even THAT bad given people like the Fist of the North Star movie, which is the same sort of rushed clusterfuck. I think Genma has more solid storytelling than that film.

But even then the parts in the second half centering on the protag work; it's just the other characters that play no impacting role because you can't characterize an entire Captain Planet diversity crew in only half a movie.

I also suspect it's mind-blowingly great if you read the manga or the novels first, just like the Baoh OVA is amazing if you watch after reading the manga. I really wish someone picked up both, but mainly the manga cuz I love Ishinomori's art.

Though it's hilarious though how Ishinomori along with Tezuka were legit very left wing about race and and knowledgeable about western racial struggles... yet still drew a ton of blacks in blackface. You had a character like Pyunma from Cyborg 009 who was a genuinely well written, respectful portrayal of Africans in the writing but then looked like a cartoon dog in the drawings.

I guess it could be compared to Bakshi's Coonskin in that he was drawing him em way society sees 'em.

As much as I think the movie is underrated in the west, I far prefer the manga designs to the "Otomo-style, but executive-whitewashed" designs in the movie.

Two really good movie designs though are Vega and his dead girlfriend

I love this fucker in Otomo-vision so much. Actually better than Ishinomori's Vega.

and some neat Otomo art

Genuinely thanks for this thread OP, I can't really contribute to this but that was a good read and I'll look into it.

Bumping I guess.

Captain Earth was a blast. No idea why its so hated.

I always wondered why it has bad ratings on every fucking website.