Did Initial D age well?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=z8FuA_eDVhY
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Stage 1 to 3 is great, 4 to 6 is shitty DBZ with cars

it was never good

stage 5 and final stage ,
cars start to *teleport away from you*

Depends on your tolerance for certain quirks and features of 90s anime as well as shitty cg, I love it but I guess I'm biased because I actually like driving like a madman on mountain roads

Stage 1 and 2 will always be very good, it captured something special.

It is 'of its time' because street racing doesn't really exist anymore, car modding is now very uncool / cringey and drifting is a circuit meme with how powerful cars are these days.

I can still watch it today, and it'd be anime of the year. Anime today is so bad. It's all CGDCT trash.

No, but it's still good.

Your post made me want to rewatch Initial D.

Nope, tried to watch it for the first time and the romance put me off, shit was corny

>1200HP Silvias and Mustangs
>don't need any technique beyond full throttle
Modern drifting is fucking boring, there should be a Formula D class for cars with less than 250HP so you can't just mash the throttle

Exactly. Once Project D becomes a major part of the plot, the nice SoL aspects of the series in favor of car of the week bullshit.

abhorrent taste

>>don't need any technique beyond full throttle
t. busrider who has never driven a day in his life

In some parts it's great, in others so bad it's good.

stage 1 has some amazing choreography that makes it so good even with the milk-aged CG. I'd suggest watching that at least up to the movie (stage 3), then it's downhill from there.
but who am i kidding, you might as well watch stage 4 to 6 if you got that far already

Stages 4-6 are trash compared to stages 1-3 but has some of the best music and some of the best race
Keisuke vs Godfoot
Takumi vs God Hand (Minus the ending)
Ryosuke vs Shinigami
Keisuke vs Hojo Gou

I like the CGI in Stage 1, reminds me of PS1 games

Stage 1 with the EG6 race had the best moments. Watch it for that at least. Only time where Takumi was mad.

>Only time where Takumi was mad.
Nigga what? What about the time he got so mad he blew his fucking engine?
He was also mad at Shinji when he bumped his car to overtake him, it wasn't an obvious seething rage but it was still there. Like he had been personally insulted by it

>Nigga what? What about the time he got so mad he blew his fucking engine?
ok to be fair that didn't count

How didn't it count? He was still mad. If he hadn't seen Mogi with the Benz guy he would have driven home and the Engine would have probably blown on Bunta's Tofu run

To be fair it did eliminate one of the biggest difficulties to drifting- they don't have to worry about regaining grip because they can always break it by applying more throttle.

Drifting was never a thing in circuit racing anyways so that's irrelevant

What if Takumi was a cute girl?

It didn't count because he said so.

Sure the race didn't count but that doesn't make the fact that Takumi was mad
But Shinji's mom already exists user

>then it's downhill from there.
I see what you did there.

Nobody could've been cute in its art style. I think you're on the right track, though.

I like the manga better than the anime.

Then, it would be called Initial V.

carlos.jpg

>Eurobeat intensifies

Yeah, I'd say it has.

itsuki in drag on the right

You shut your mouth about best girl Sayuki

It's not like girls succeeding in motorsports is unheard of

On a strange crave for Initial D I rewatched a couple of battles out of order
The most impressive thing I realized was that races on stage 4-6 have way more brakes to some character explain the action, then show a quick clip of the cars sliding and back to explaining
While the races on stage 1-3 are all about showing you all the race with quick editing, at most breaking only once to ryosuke thinking about something and explaining something the audience had already figured it out by watching the cars sliding on the touge
You had a better usage of the eurobeat too, in the first 3 stages, races were devided like so, the start of a race would be the last scene of an episode that was about to hype up the race, that small segment would get a good song to play along, the song was usually allowed to reach its chorus or its first peak before the episode ended, then the next episode if it was all about the race it would take most of the episode with 2 songs playing on each part of the episode

In the later stages, you get a lot of pre race talk, the start of the race is played with a hype song, but never allowed to reach its peak since they cut very soon to some one explaining, then most of the race action is with a serious soundtrack, and only on the attack is played some eurobeat but its quickly killed off as the race ends or they need to explain the action

If you read the manga, yes there is a lot of explaining lines, but that was done because it was a manga, it is a collection of static images, you need some explaining at times to make readers understand what is happening, but in animation, that is needless, and that is what the first few stages realized, you dont need to explain shit if you have CGI cars ripping around the road

Why were all Evo drivers portrayed as assholes, unskilled drivers, or unskilled assholes?

daily reminder stage 4 has the best OP ever created in this world.
youtube.com/watch?v=z8FuA_eDVhY

They weren't? Kyoichi was praised nonstop for his amazing skill and was a cool guy once he got over his complex of hating street racers

All the actually fast car drives were dicks

Almost every one on a humble silvia or shitbox car was a cool dude or just a scheming gimmick character

Meanwile every one on Evos, supras, GTRs and STi's were portrayed as dicks, probably because the author wanted to drive on that even if you have the money to buy something that will totally ass rape a lesser car, you still cant beat good driving skills, in fact that is literally the whole idea of the show, Dagumi, the perfect driver who uses an 80's toyota shitbox to beat people on much better and expensive cars than his AE-86
of course all that went to the shitter when he got a racing engine and project D became a thing

I'm pretty sure there was one exception in Formula that drifted. Forgot name but he died. Can't even google it since I get Formula drift instead.

>God Foot was a cool dude who even slowed himself down to have a drift race with Keisuke
>Kyoichi was a cool guy once he calmed down
>Hojo Gou was cool after Rin showed him what it meant to enjoy a race
>The guy with the Z was weird with his whole Zero theory but wasn't a dick

why were Evo drivers the god touge machine, I thought RX7 was supposed to be faster

>biggest asshole with in the entire series drove the shittiest shitbox of them all

Shingo just wanted attention
once nakazato became his buttbuddy he chilled out

It came up from the bottom into the top.

>It is 'of its time' because street racing doesn't really exist anymore, car modding is now very uncool / cringey and drifting is a circuit meme with how powerful cars are these days.
Really? Guess it's just where I'm from and the amount of Asians in my area, but car modding and muh JDM is well alive. I'd agree street racing is dead though.

I guess you're right.

The RX-7 FD was the faster than the GT-R/NSX/Evo/pretty much any Jap car around a circuit. But on a tight touge road I imagine the superior acceleration of an AWD car might help.

I guess he means street racing in japan
If you watched MCM, they tried to go to a underground street race circle in japan and all those kids do is making burnouts and figure 8 drift circuits on abandoned parking lots in the middle of nowhere because the tougues are full of speed traps and speed bumps

Shinji, get in the fucking car.

Doesnt the NSX perform better at tight turns than the EVO?

>The original Mt Haruna is now fucked with cats eyes making it impossible to race

The mid engine design gives it better traction when accelerating but still needs to slide around a tight hairpin whereas a 4WD car can basically accelerate through the entire thing

Are there any Initial D drivers you could beat with your car, assuming you had 24 hours to practice?

I doubt I could even beat Itsuki

Wouldnt that make FF cars better since you can do the same with a good FF car?

I have a Twingo, which is the european equivalent to the Panda Trueno, so I think I could beat all those bitches back-to-back.

No because it loses out on corner exit to FR, MR and 4WD as well as straight line acceleration and overall maneuverability

I've been meaning to watch initial D for years but I never can decide on which series to start. There's so many I just give up before downloading one.

Any recs or should I just start from the very beginning?

My car is a FF with 240hp from stock, and also came with a lsd from factory
So I guess I could beat some one of the weak power scrubs on a straight line or something and struggle on the hairpins since its an FF that really does not like to be hand break flipped

Watch series 1-3 and then read the manga with eurobeat compilations from youtube on the background.

>1 hour of time at the track
>100+ hours of playing realistic racing sims with a G27
>FF car with sticky tires and 240HP
What are my chances?

Realistic racing games aren't transferable to the real world outside of learning about picking lines and shit like that. I had 50 hours in Assetto Corsa when I started learning to drive but that didn't translate to 50 hours of driving experience

It would be Over-Rev! and it would never be finished translating.

I'm a professionally trained driver but I own a crap car 2016 1400cc honda civic . So I just like to drive fast and play about on the road a bit, helps me pretend that I'm some sort of intial D type dude.
Sad really.

You really like romance with a girl who is literally a prostitute?

just skip over the dumb romance parts, he dumps her to drive cars anyway

Other than the animation.

Does he get to smash first?

He kisses her. Then another girl asks him to smash but his cuck friends cockblock him,
then he gets back together with the prostitute but she moves to Tokyo.
And then he meets a rule 63 version of himself and goes out with her

But it makes sense that a casual driver wouldn't get the clutch in their auto serviced. When you drive a manual you press the clutch possibly hundreds of times a day so you'll notice any tiny difference in the feeling as it wears.
Someone who drives an automatic would never consider that there clutch could wear or that it even exists

*BRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAP*

I finished it a couple of weeks ago and the first stages are awesome. Then the stupid project d bullshit starts and gets so repetitive and boring it makes me wanna puke.

Not really. Keisuke is the only saving grace of the latter half. Honestly just watch wangan midnight if you like cars

Takumi learns how to teleport in stage 5.

Wangan Midnight sucks too. Which it shouldn't because the actual cars are better, and velocity > drifting.

>wangan midnight
I like how every character uses indicators even when they're going really fast.

I have an E55 AMG and i'm not an asshole.

No, you are the fat banker driving on a family saloon fucking young girls

I said fast cars, not grandpa mobiles

Bread on hood
My dad has an E550 with a twin-turbo V8, it was pretty amazing

>biggest asshole
>not the evo guys who called in thugs when they lost