Evangelion

So I've never seen this. Where do I start? Should I even bother watching it?

Other urls found in this thread:

knowyourmeme.com/memes/keit-ai-finds-a-way/
tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/WebOriginal/KeitAi
youtube.com/watch?v=JcVGDV67L-g
youtube.com/watch?v=o_rz1bluG_k
webtoons.com/en/challenge/keit-ai/list?title_no=36825
fictionpress.com/s/3206139/1/Keit-AI-Tomoyuki-x-Seiko-Keit愛-奉文-x-聖子
youtube.com/watch?v=hRfHcp2GjVI
youtube.com/watch?v=jZEERtZjlLs
youtu.be/oyjCq_iB5yE
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Don't bother

Sure. Just don't want the movies

Why?

The movies show the ending they couldn't afford to make, the anime shows the 2deep4u oh shit how are we going to wrap this fucking thing up ending that Rick and Morty tier intellectuals love.

>where do I start
Episode 1 you fucking dumbass

Re;Zero is better if you want extreme edge and an urge to kill yourself

>Where do I start?

>Should I even bother watching it?
if you're an edgy teenager

can this site stop attracting new users?

>Where do i start

Watch the anime first user

>where do I start
I dunno man, probably episode 7 or some shit

>where do I start?
Holy shit, how do you even get dressed in the morning

remember that the remakes are a sequel

watch episodes 1-24, then watch The End of Evangelion movie, after this watch the two remaining episodes 25 & 26. Eva is pretty good guys

Make sure you watch the Rebuilds first before Neon Genesis Evangelion.

the rebuild are trash compared to the original series

just watch episode 14, it covers all the boring parts of the first half of the series, then you should probably watch rebuild 3.33 since rebuilds 1 and 2 were pretty much covered in episode 14 too. after that idk just watch episode 26 or something

this guy knows.

ultimately this series is a waste of time.

Shinji Ikari falls in love with an Asuka Langley Soryu.

Unable to confess, he is gifted by a deus ex machina with the German girl's phone number. Never minding the strange area code, he immediately calls her, and is overjoyed to find out that she has a crush on him as well.

But, the next day, when he recounts the previous day's confessions to the girl, she only looks at him with a perplexed expression, asking, "Anta baka?" After some investigation, he finds out that the redhead he called is not the same bitch he fell in love with. In fact, she doesn't exist in this universe at all. She is Asuka Shikinami Langley, Asuka Langley Soryu's alternate universe counterpart who has fallen in love with Shinji's own AU self who too is blissfully unaware of her crush.

Hijinks ensue as the two strike up a deal to give each other their darkest, most private secrets in order to equip the other with the weapons they need to conquer the heart of their other selves. While the two chase their respective loved ones, DRAMA ensues as they begin to fall in love with each other instead and question the NATURE of TSUNDERE.

ALWAYS FINDS A WAY

hnnnng

Already a thing.

knowyourmeme.com/memes/keit-ai-finds-a-way/
tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/WebOriginal/KeitAi
youtube.com/watch?v=JcVGDV67L-g
youtube.com/watch?v=o_rz1bluG_k
webtoons.com/en/challenge/keit-ai/list?title_no=36825
fictionpress.com/s/3206139/1/Keit-AI-Tomoyuki-x-Seiko-Keit愛-奉文-x-聖子

>Based Anno made Keit-Ai before it was a thing

If u want real shit then how about Kaiji Shiki or Rainbow and not series for preteens like re zero

Just watch the rebuilds. The series and EoE are complete shit

kaiji is not that edgey. He's a billionaire now.

No, the piano scene in 3.33 is the pinnacle of anime. A true kino moment. Bravo Anno, what a great human being.

this

The series is just edgy garbage. I'm glad that Anno got over his depression phase and made something actually intelligent and mature with the rebuilds.

>Where do I start?
episode 1

Hollywood adaptation when?

Oh wait...

Shinji-kun!

I want an a series with the Eva characters that isn't grimdark BS. If I want grimdark, I'll play Dark Souls or something.

You forgot this one, big playa.

>youtube.com/watch?v=hRfHcp2GjVI

Don't listen to the haters. It is very much worth your time.

I think an anime called Aldnoah.Zero is what you're looking for. It's much more complex, fun and less up it's own ass than NGE is.

Don't you mean an anime called Boku?

no Pico.

yeahs its really good just start with Neon genesis Evangelion then watch EoE.

Watch the original series director's cut and then EoE. Ignore the rest.

Stop

Just watch Madoka instead. It's the same thing but modern.

>this fucking thread

>bait
how is this thread bait user, that doesn't even really make sense

Because the series it too old for a new person to want to watch. It's obvious op is just an Eva fan wanting to start a discussion.

You can't honestly think people don't watch old shows, do you? Especially something as popular on this website as NGE.

depends on the person, personally when i first got into to anime i went for the older stuff dated before '05 so thats not necessarily true

shut the fuck up faggot
he can watch whatever the fuck he wants
also, you suck at explaining shit
the movies kicked ass except for 3.33

They watch it but most people drop it at episode three. The quality of the series is outdated and the only noteworthy episodes are the last four and the dance episode.

I like the German version the best.

youtube.com/watch?v=jZEERtZjlLs

>most people drop it at episode three
Do you have literally any proof of this statement or are you just telling us when you decided to stop watching

Start at episode one then watch end of Eva then watch the rebuilds. is right about the formatting. Honestly I liked the rebuilds because I was not looking at budget constraint scenes that edgy middle schoolers drool over when in reality the scenes were drawn out because they were out of fucking money. Seriously people hate the reuilds because there is "no character development" but there's a whole theory behind that that I wont get into. If you end up finishing it without becoming an elitist fedora tipper congratulations to you. The show is good maybe even really good even but no where near as good as some people make it out to be. I had a friend watch it and now it's his reference point for every fucking anime now. It doesnt even matter what genre the answer is always "not as good as Eva" Don't be that guy.

i meant to say 1 to the end of the series then end of eva

>dance episode
what? do you mean the episode where shinji and asuka train together.

He's talking about Dance Like You Want to Win, yes, which is probably the best of the "monster of the week" episodes of NGE".

Of course, except for Magma Diver it's probably the only true MoTW episode in NGE as all of the others have impacts on the plot.

the only thing worse than the elitist Eva fans are the ones who think the show is literally the worst thing ever made. I think liking the show really comes down to if you can relate to the characters (any of them, not all of them) and if you can't relate to any of them then you probably won't like the show.

I watched it as a kid. I'm saying people drop it because I hear newer people saying they dropped it all the time.

it was a good episode but the show would have been horrible if it was just a MoTW show. personally the best episodes for me is the one with the dummy plug unit 01 nearly killing toji

Just watch Madoka

I know...I know I've let you down

Leliel being destroyed, Toji almost dying, and Unit-01 going berserk and turning Shinji into LCL are probably the best episodes of the show. Really, anything where this: youtu.be/oyjCq_iB5yE plays

you're right about that most of them are contrarians who most likely didnt watch it and hate it because it's popular. But people like that exist to balance all the elitists, awful on both sides really. I'm fine if you're like "Eva is probably my favorite anime" and proceed to say what you like about it, but the people who claim it as fact are fucking retarded

>tells him to watch Madoka
>posts an image that spoils the main series and Rebellion

So is the 4th movie ever coming out or did they just drop that project?

they're working on it, it was just delayed by Shin Godzilla

couldn't agree more, but i think the contrarians are more annoying, especially when they shit up all Eva threads by calling it edgy pretentious garbage without any points to back it up other le reddit boogeyman. but they only exist because of the Eva elitists

Claiming opinion as fact in any case is fucking stupid. I say this as someone who is madly in love with Evangelion and has very strong opinions towards other shows, both negative and positive.

I know that we forget this because we're on Sup Forums, where everything is black and white and you can't have a complex opinion on literally anything (and Sup Forums as a board is fairly good about it compared to some others) but come the fuck on.

Anno went off to do Shin Godzilla, which was probably a good idea. He's back now, and hopefully we'll get a resolution.

He has no clue what's happening in that picture.

I just started to watch because I wanted to see how Asuka really is like.
Towards the end of episode 2 I kept thinking about other stuff and had a hard time paying attention. I wish I would care more about mecha stuff.

There are tons of things that bug me, like how in the world was the entire underground complex news to Shinji? Why is Shinjis dad such a prick? Fuck that guy. Also fuck all these female pushovers.

Shinji is treated disrespectfully and like a child. Then suddenly he has to save the world. It's no wonder he reacts the way he does.

>female pushovers
who? misato? rei? ritsuko?

I actually really enjoyed Eva too its just the elitists that get me every time and the contrarians. I agree with you on anybody stating opinion as fact, I'd say the same thing about anyone acting like that about any other anime it is just that this happens to be an Eva thread (I should have made it clear). no mean to offend anyone I just like to have moderate discussion which surprise surprise I am actually having with you fellow user.

how many times have you guys watched the show?

Just pay attention, it's all there for a reason.

yeah i really wish the contrarians would stop coming to eva threads to spout the same 2 things over and over
>its edgy
>its pretentious

I think the given reason for Shinji having no clue about the underground complex is because he's a Japanese home schooled kid. In America, home schooling already makes you fucking dumb when it comes to the world around you. In Japan, where school is life, Shinji is spending almost all of his time with his teacher, learning.

As for Shinji's dad, you'll learn a lot more about their relationship in the second half of the series.

(Don't listen to this guy)

The series doesn't get better until the last four episodes. I wasn't joking when I said just watch Madoka. Hell, even made in the Abyss or FLCL would be a better alternative.

>Angles, haha, do you see it?
>3rd impact, get the reference?
>Crucifix and kabbalah for no reason

People actually think this show is deeper than getting bullied at school and dealing with being a beta loser in real life. Adorable.

Six or seven. I feel a real connection to NGE and to the characters.

Once in dub, once more recently in sub. I've rewatched certain scenes a bunch though.

It's true there's plenty of legitimate reasons not to like it not into mecha, not into heavy dialogue or as you said earlier not being able to resonate with the characters, but it's thrown to the wind in favor of trolling die hard Eva fans or the classic "You can tell my taste is refined because I don't like this thing everyone else does".

Is it even worth watching twice? There's no crazy twists that recontextualize events or even much in the way of foreshadowing, just standard plot progression where you learn something and then use your brain to remember what event this new information is explaining.

Literally no one talks about the religious symbolism in NGE though, everyone either talks about the character arcs or the Freudian "fuck your mom" style stuff.

No, people aren't pretending to hate the series because they're hipsters. Eva is legitimately getting old and has a hard time competing with modern shows and keeping the attention of people that are used to them.

It's required viewing to post on Sup Forums

Viewing order is:
>1. Neon Genesis Evangelion
>2. End of Evangelion

is the dub any good? only watched subbed

I am a fan of the show and I think Ano got lucky with the positive response to the religious stuff he put in because it looked cool, it was never meant to mean much.
This is not true my friend maybe I am in a minority group but i've hear many cringy discussions about religion and eva at my college campus to be honest and unfortunately some of my friends as well

Gendo definitely looks a lot different in the first ten episodes after a rewatch. The Hedgehog stuff especially.

Also, things like Rei III appearing in the first ten minutes in the same way she does in the last five of EoE was cool

It's pretty awful but a lot of people are nostalgic for it

i agree but see for a prime example of what im talking about, people seem to have one single issue with the series, and their brains can't help but hyper focus on the one flaw it has. also why do people still think that the religious imagery is pretentious, anno literally said they did it because it was cool which is pretty damn far from pretentious.

Not really anymore. I wouldn't blame the younger generation for no watching it because I as an adult tried to rewatch it and found it a be a huge disappointment compared to shows created today. It is a good show for what it is but I don't think it's required to view.

modern shows are generally done in pretty different fashion from shows like Eva, but that's the reason I like so much, its unique compared to anything coming out now.

The series + EoE+ReTake if you really want extra content (like i did) simple as that, if you don't understand something because all that shit seems way too fucking vague at first just google it and you'll end up on a webpage by evageeks.org or something that will explain it quite nicely.

Also, a lot of people just say that it's all just 2deep4u bait, and i'd actually argue against that while yes it is quite vague it really is understandable but you've gotta put a little bit of effort into understanding it.

not orbut some people did try and make a push for the deep symbolism see I have had the same experience as this guy. Not to say it is every fan but those kinds of fans are out there.

That pic is cute af tho.

If Anno's able to hold off on killing himself we might get it sometime before 2020

The dub isn't excellent but if you're going to rewatch the show you might want to give it a try. It starts mediocre but the guy who plays Shinji actually gets better over time. The dub for EoE is garbage though.

The only time the religious references in NGE actually mean something are, as I remember, the following:
>A shadow is casted of a cross behind Gendo at one point, making it seem that he's carrying a cross
>The Bible has a very strong focus on Rebirth, so does NGE.

And that's mostly it. There's some small bits but Anno did it mostly to add to the atmosphere of the show.

You abso-fucking-lutely should go watch it right now. It's one of the best and most influential anime of all times, no contest. Just go watch the TV series, then End of Evangelion. Disregard the Rebuild movies for now.

Eva really did inspire a lot of great fanwork.

yeah but those are the reddit fedora tippers who are the cancer on the shows fanbase. personally i liked the show because i could relate to alot of the shit in the show.