How much different is Standard German from all the dialects? Especially Austrian and Swiss...

How much different is Standard German from all the dialects? Especially Austrian and Swiss, why are they considered just a dialect of German, while Dutch is a standalone language?

Attached: Deutsche_Dialekte_1910.png (1627x1181, 209K)

Other urls found in this thread:

m.youtube.com/watch?v=e34M6P1NXYM
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swiss_German
loc.gov/standards/iso639-2/php/langcodes_name.php?code_ID=177
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

There is a continuum of dialects. The closer (geographically) the dialect, the more similar and the more one can understand it. I can neither fully understand the Berlin dialect, nor Dutch. I might understand some words but not the entire sentences' meaning.

>Every 28 hours a black person in the United States is killed
Good. Now be a good nigger and shoot yourself so the cops dont have to

The general consensus from the Austrian point of view it "we understand them, but they don't understand us"
For Swiss it's even more intense, Austrians don't understand them either. Same goes for our westernmost state, Vorarlberg, as they are in the Alemannic language area as opposed to Bavarian

>There is a continuum of dialects.
And the dialect spoken in the northen region around the city hannover comes closest to standard german and that's why every german speaker understands it.

Lel. Gtfo of here you stupid nigger.

Attached: 1514154793149.gif (200x316, 1.79M)

haha niggers are so fucking stupid.

you're a nigger.
your ugly fucking mother is a nigger.
your diseased whore sisters are niggers.
NIGGERS.

And what about Italian. What is Italian exactly? Which languages on this map listed as Romance can be considered Italian and dialects and which are standalone languages?

Attached: 11-linguistic-map-Italy.png (1632x2112, 135K)

And also French.

Attached: 1024px-Langues_de_la_France.svg.png (1024x972, 562K)

this cashier in zurich told me the total in swiss deutsch and I did not understand a single word, so I answered in my sterile school german and she switched to the same language easily. as far as I can tell swiss german is as different from the standard as is dutch, or even more so.

And Spanish.

Attached: Castillian_dialects_in_spain.png (788x500, 61K)

m.youtube.com/watch?v=e34M6P1NXYM

Languages of Italy

Germany is Southern country.
Dutch and Northern Germans (Saxons) are not really Germans.

Swiss and Austrians are real Germans.

Dutch and Northern Germans can only understand the Standard German if they study it first.
Some Swiss dialects are very difficult but they somehow mannage to be part of the German language.

P.S. - In Northern Germany no one speaks Saxon languages as they have most assimilated the Standard German as their language.
Saxons are shit; I didn't like Hamburg.
Austro-Bavarian state when?

It doesn't really matter as all European languages will be replaced with English and Arabic within 50 years.

Italian is a Tuscan dialect from central Italy. Lazio and Rome are also under a dialect close to Standard Italian.
These are the areas in which during the Reneissance concentrated the most learned people and therefore the Standard Italian became the Italian from the city of Florence.

Northern Italians have their own languages but mostly speak the Italian Standard now with some variation. The variation is more sound in Venice and its surrounding region, Veneto-Fruili.

In the South they speak their languages but mostly Standard Italian. Their languages are Neapolitan and Sicilian with Sicilian being like Neapolitan with Greek loan words and stuff like that.

Attached: Ethnic Italians pol.png (1673x2078, 477K)

I'm asking all this, because some of those dialects are even further apart than Ukrainian and Belarusian or even Ukrainian and Russian. But those three are considered separate languages, in the past they weren't though.

France is a different case. In the East they spoke the local variant of Germany.
In the extreme Northeast, the local variant of Dutch.
In the West (Brittany) they spoke Celtic languages, Brittonic I think.
In the Souteast close to Switzerland they spoke a mountanious version of French called Arpitan, it's like the French of Western Switzerland.

In the South they had an entire language which was truly a latin language that some say is closer to Catalan than anything else.
This was about one third of the country.
That was the part of France which was actually "well latinised" by the Romans.

Anyway, now they were all forced to speak the standard French from Paris and to have Parisian culture as their National culture for la revolution.

French is a latin language although it is very mixed with German. Northern France is neither real Latin culturally or linguistically.

Also they have also areas in the South where the traditional language is either Catalan or Basque or Italian.
The Corsican language in Corsica is a variant of Italian...

Attached: França 5.png (632x600, 188K)

Thanks.

About the Castillan:
Northern Castillan is le based and Traditional Castillan.
Southern Castillan is less traditional;
The Andalusi regions of cesseo speak a very different dialect that, although you still recognise it as Castillan, most other Castillans would probably think it is a funny variation of the Castillan.

All other languages are basically full languages different languages by their own right, as in pic related

Attached: Linguistic_map_Southwestern_Europe.gif (600x544, 883K)

Attached: France-dialectes-carte-des-dialectes-français-Flamand-Wallon-Picard-Normand-Francien-Lorrain-Alsaci (1140x1210, 301K)

That is my basic take at it.

Attached: 1280px-Map_of_Ukrainian_dialects_en.png (1280x829, 829K)

Swiss is a language on its own. You won't understand it if you only speak German.

In 1870s they made everyone speak French and demonized other languages. I.e they had to wear badges if you were caught speaking something else or you couldn't buy food.

German is basically a mix of borrowed words from all the cool languages surrounding them.
Dutch was there before German.

>Swiss is a language on its own. You won't understand it if you only speak German.
Southwestern Germans do understand some Swiss dialects and speak very similar dialects, categorized as Alemanic dialects.
Northwestern Swiss German is more similar to southhwestern German than it is to Walliserdeutsch (southwesternmost Swiss German)

>Dutch was there before German
Arguably. For sure it's the most horribly sounding language though

That's what I'm getting at. They are pretty different.
But it is considered and standardized just a dialect.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swiss_German
loc.gov/standards/iso639-2/php/langcodes_name.php?code_ID=177

Walliserdeutsch is a language on its own (aka 5th national language)

"German" isn't a language.

>They are pretty different
Just look at the map you posted at first: Swiss german dialects are part of the alemanic dialects. All alemanic speakers understand eachother and there is also a large variety of swiss german dialects that are different. berndeutsch, baslerdeutsch, ostschweizer dialects etc.
Therefore, it makes no sense to define swiss german as a separate language

Kanker op homo

No. There is no standard Swiss. Just a variety of dialects. However the linguistic distance between these dialects is smaller than to any surrounding German dialects, thus forming a cluster which is a clear indicator for a language on its own.

Further, there are some grammatical differences to German:
- no past tense
- no genitive
- accusative and nominative converges in some cases

all those dialects are pretty much the same with very similar words. in western ukraine and in lviv especially, we have quite a few words of polish and german words, but the language is pretty much the same as the ukrainian spoken in the donbass.
the dialect in the zakarpattia region is very different from ukrainian throughout the rest of the country, and some even argue that it is its own language.

When you read Dutch, there's no hint whatsoever for how horrible it sounds when it's read out loud

no u

>no past tense
How is that possible? Or do you mean there is no imperfekt?
> no genitive
So how do you indicate possession in that case?
>accusative and nominative converges in some cases
In what sorts of cases? Could you show some examples as I'm curious.

I wanna see you try and understand Kölsch.

we us imperfect for everything for everything past. and possession is indicated with dative + pronoun.

So for example how would you say/write "des Mannes".

Also correct me if I'm wrong but I was taught that in standard German only the perfect is used in spoken language, and that the imperfect is reserved for writing.
If there is no perfect how do you denote events taking place in different periods of the past?

>perfect is used in spoken language
This is also the (only) past tense we're using in swiss german
(Ich habe gesagt / Ich ha gseit (swiss german) for example)
>Des Mannes
Becomes
>Dem Mann seines (Em Ma sis)