Why isnt shin sekai yori popular and widespread

why isnt shin sekai yori popular and widespread

It was rather well talked-about on Sup Forums.

It's been on my to watch list for ages
Do I pull the trigger?

well then, saki's face in this image is mfw i missed it

Your loss.

id say yeah! it was overall really good although a lot is left unexplained it felt like

But it is? There's just nothing else to talk about, it's been like 5 years user.

iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii guess so yeah i get stuck on things a lot then

Some people got hung up big time about the events right after the first time skip and they're still hung up about it to this day.

>iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii
Hang yourself.

that makes a lot of sense

well it's not like you can unhang yourself, user

with pleasure... what am i even doing with my life

Because good stuff is rarely popular. Shows that are both great and popular are uncommon in every medium. Also, it's not like SSY is unknown, it is well-regarded in most anime communities, including Sup Forums.

I dropped it on the third or fourth episode from memory. I think it was after they fucked underground or something like that.

you're right, i guess by well known i meant mainstream.

i was about to drop it then also. my adhd level is over 9000 but somehow i stuck with it

It's gay.

you are

Let's go mate, you won't regret it

At least post her loli version, not this unsexy one.

The characters are really dull, and the story takes a long time to get anywhere. The payoff is pretty good, but it shouldn't be any surprise that people don't stick with it long enough to get there.

The show is atmospheric af and engrossing. If any of that sounds intriguing to you, pull the trigger now.

characters are ok with the backstories that have the depth of a hamster bred in captivity yeah, but i projected myself onto saki and i think thats why i stuck with the show through my adhd and all

I meant to say since the beginning of the thread but for the love of god lurk before posting holy shit.

Have there been any good memes about this on Sup Forums?

It is

>The characters are really dull, and the story takes a long time to get anywhere
Which is really exacerbated by the episodes being double length. When I finished watching one of those early episodes I felt like I had lost a year of my life.

The gay shitposting was pretty fun, there was some squealer shit.

The exposition dump in episode 3 or 4 is unforgivably bad. Great show overall but I bet a lot of people dropped it right there.

Unironically a top 10 show of the decade.

Squealer did nothing wrong

Because 5 seconds of two guys kissing made then uncomfortable between the legs.

*them

Probably because when you watch it you are rooting for the nuclear option.
It also was advertised as part of the Horror genre but it was tame and gay like twilight. But unlike twilight had good plot twists and a great idea. I'm just glad it didn't end with the Messiah talking about her feelings.

>widespread
this show isn't about your mother's leg

The more I watched the more I hated the humans.
Their society was fucking stupid.

Because it didn't aim for mass market appeal but instead did its own thing. This isn't fucking hard user, being popular isn't the same thing as being good.

>implying that's a bad thing

its a great show

wait SSY was a manga?

It's a novel that got a manga and anime.

because it's an average show that focuses on atmosphere instead of plot or characters
that's a niche selling point and was never going to be super popular

Has it really been 5 years already!?

Wow. Time's fly

I dropped it after an early episode began with 12 minutes of uninterupted exposition.

Delete this you barbarian

Yes
Fucking do it

The plot is great for the first 4/5ths of the show, I didnt liek the ending sequence.
The art is good usually but theres some really bad parts too, cgi eyes and large groups of gremlins in particular.
An amazing show compared to anything else this industry shits out.

Because the characters were utter shit except squealer

Question did they rip his brain out or turn him into a giant tumor?

Because it is garbage and nonsensical

This

yaoi shit.
squealer did nothing wrong.

NINGEN
I
N
G
E
N

Squealer did nothing wrong.

Because of the plotholes as big as Virgin Soul.

>When the super psychics are almost extinct after fucking humanity over for thousands of years, the hidden scientists decide to make safer super psychics and beastify all the normal people instead of exterminating the last psychics and fixing the problem once and for all
>Not a single one of the super psychics was willing to sacrifice their own life in exchange for the lives of others, letting the rampage of mole girl go on unchecked, which might be a comment on the fact that they've lost their innermost humanity but is retarded as hell after all those episodes of trying to humanize the psychics

It's a fun watch, I think watching it as it aired made it better though since the threads were fun.

>>When the super psychics are almost extinct after fucking humanity over for thousands of years, the hidden scientists decide to make safer super psychics and beastify all the normal people instead of exterminating the last psychics and fixing the problem once and for all
Perhaps the scientists were psychics themselves, or the effort and time it would take to fully exterminate the last psychics would be too much for humanity in that state.

>>Not a single one of the super psychics was willing to sacrifice their own life in exchange for the lives of others, letting the rampage of mole girl go on unchecked
Because that's not how it works. Smaller stuff you can get away with feeling sick for the day after, but straight up killing will kill you well before you can put your thoughts into practice. Anyone who tried to kill her would be disabled if not outright killed by their own feedback before they could hurt her meaningfully. Notice how the last fiend was defeated in a more indirect way via injection, there's a difference between that and violently killing someone with your bare hands let alone killing someone with your thoughts made manifest. If the doctor could have killed the fiend with his powers, he would just have snapped his neck when his guard was down and that would have been it, but he couldn't.

>Because that's not how it works.

Yes it is. You don't die before you put those thoughts into practice. You get horribly ill for thinking them and you die if you actually act them out. Everybody has a theoretical kill count of 1 but it's a murder/suicide. But none of them were ever willing to sacrifice themselves. All that flopping around indirect stuff were ways to kill people and still live, like the cats.

>the effort and time it would take to fully exterminate the last psychics would be too much for humanity in that state
Impossible. The actual course of action wiped out all regular humanity, and that's much more effort on the ground and industrialization of gene therapy processes. As much as they changed the behavior of psychics, they could have just as easily lied and made them sterile or something similar that would have caused a proper die off.

More like Shit Sogay Yaoi

God damn the last 6 episodes are fucking amazing

Only the third arc is any good, it's basically Shiki for reddit instead of tumblr

It wasn't just the issue that death feedback would ensure that the killer would die, it was also the fact that the psychics had attack inhibition. A combination of genetic alterations and conditioning made it basically impossible for them to conceive of hurting other human beings, let alone competently acting on such thoughts.

The entire show was about how people gamed the system and broke it. Four eyes at least was capable of that sort of thing, as well as the unaltered elders and the new crop. But none of them had the guts to die for anyone else. Had to get a rat to do the job.

>You get horribly ill for thinking them
Yeah, how do you intend to actually focus enough to do it if you're puking blood and can't tell what way is up anymore?

>The actual course of action wiped out all regular humanity
You're assuming the scientists were normal humans and not psychics, and that they didn't think it would simply be better this way because psychics were the next step in human evolution, and only needed this safety measure to work.

>why is a slow burn show with no easily describable premise or genre and realistic characters that are ultimately only vehicles for exploring its world and themes not a mega hit
Hmmm, I wonder.

>Yeah, how do you intend to actually focus enough to do it if you're puking blood and can't tell what way is up anymore?

Mind games, lying to themselves, like they all played. Only has to last long enough to get off one good shot. You don't even need a psychic attack, just for one guy to hold her down and another to pull the trigger.

>why isnt shin sekai yori popular and widespread
It's a pretty sad story actually.

1) It premiered in the same season as Psycho Pass, Girls und Panzer, and Kyoto ani's Chuunibyou demo Koi ga Shitai. All of these shows were popular at the time and depending on who you ask are fondly remembered as masterpieces. Sword Art Online also premiered during the summer of 2012 and continued into the fall, and despite being from a previous season it's sheer memetic energy overpowered a lot of quality stuff that season, including SSY

2) The main character was a severely watered down version of her novel equivalent and this earned the anime a bad reputation with people who were already familiar with the source material. For example, when Saki encounters the queerrats on her Canoe trip in the book, she expresses great disgust and suspicion towards them, and this was only lightly hinted at in the anime. Her personality is also a lot more willful in the book. The anime makes her seem docile, almost on the verge of tears, and it just doesn't work.

The final scene of her talking to squealer in the jar is probably the closest the anime got to really capturing her character.

3) In attempting to condense a full length novel into a 24 episode anime, they necessarily had to drop a lot of stuff, and although they did a good job, there's a lot of questions that are left unanswered that are easily explained in the novel. Saki's motivations being a key example.

I don't remember how clear the anime made this, but death feedback locks your shit down if you try to harm a human with cantus. Also everyone except a handful of leaders had all aggression and initiative bred and conditioned out of them. The different conditioning scheme is why so much crap happens in Saki's group. Basically, one of the leaders would have had to kill mole girl in melee or with a gun they grabbed from the rats and even then, the attempt itself would be heavily hampered by onset death feedback.
In the manga Tomiko tries to trick herself into thinking she's harming mole girl to help her (basically surgery) but fails. Again, my memory on the anime is fuzzy in that regard.

Not saying the plot is watertight, but it's not quite as simple as you make it out to be.

SSY is one of my favourite anime despite never having read the novel, I had no problem grasping Saki's motivations at any given point through context and what is established about her character.

It really is. They try to make this arbitrary distinction for how people can be killed then mess it up themselves. "I can sic a murderous animal on them and go to sleep soundly, but dropping a rock on them indirectly, now that's just too far." Or how the priest almost killed the kids on accident when they were out in the wild. Easy enough to tie a blindfold to a guy and lie to him about what he's doing. The responsibility barrier is busted down enough, they should be able to trick themselves into shooting a gun or psychically chucking a rock.

Everything is mind games with them. They can even trick themselves into sealing their own power away. They can certainly trick themselves into kamikazing people if the need arises, and it seems insane that isn't standard training for the people assigned to guard the village.

>why isnt shin sekai yori popular and widespread
You think the kind of person that watches BnHA is going to enjoy a show like this? Just for starters the protagonist is a brainwashed little girl (for the first half anyway) who lives in an alien (to us) society and acts based on her upbringing in that society. Brainlets absolutely can't stand main characters they cannot self-insert as.

Definitely. This show was a masterpiece and I'm not exaggerating.

If remember correctly, the novel justifies this through a variety of means; primarily authority and cognitive dissonance. Releasing a killer beast on an under performing child doesn't trigger the death mechanic for the same reason the people in the Milgram experiment continued to up the voltage despite believing they were hurting an actual person.

This is why later in the show you see the education committee being extremely autistic about the rules and threatening to kill Saki. Their whole branch of the government is brutally authoritarian. They're trained not to think about what their doing and to follow curriculum so the society can sidestep the death mechanic and purge the weak.

The whole point of the death feedback is to show that such draconian measures don't actually guarantee moral behavior, especially when the society in question is fundamentally broken from top-down. The fact that the narrative goes out of its way to explain several exceptions to the rule should've clued you onto this.

I think you're confusing a system which is purposefully broken for a plot hole.

SSY is one of the best examples of how you can have two nearly identical adaptations (manga and anime) and one is overwhelming better than the other.

The Anime is one of the best sci-fi series i've seen, and one of the best shows of this decade. The music, atmosphere and the overall tone perfectly matches the dystopian world with it's disturbing, terrible history. The manga is like an entirely different, shitty shonen manga despite having all the same story beats.

But yeah it's a fucking fantastic show, if only because it also nails HORROR so perfectly well. The world they live in is terrifying, and the underlying theme its that it is human nature that makes it that way - not greed, or discrimination, just basic human consciousness as a volatile, dangerous thing.

The story of the Fiend "K" is still one of the most disturbing things i've seen, and it's really incredible sci-fi because it's addressing concepts like school shooting, mental health, and very modern problems. Sci-fi reflects the modern day, not the future, and SSY actually does that problem.

It deserves to be recognised more because it's actually making sci-fi that isn't just "technology is scary" or "class warfare".

>But yeah it's a fucking fantastic show, if only because it also nails HORROR so perfectly well. The world they live in is terrifying, and the underlying theme its that it is human nature that makes it that way - not greed, or discrimination, just basic human consciousness as a volatile, dangerous thing.

I loved how they changed the tone of the horror between the first half and the second half. First half was very much the child type of horror where most of it comes from being vulnerable and the world being a vast unknown. Fucking nailed it there.

Too deep for casuals. Also the art style is bit unconventional.

Too slow paced and subtle for the average anime fan.

Not just that but hearing about the things that occured in the past. They're all a buried memory because nobody wants to remember.

It shows that things like psychic powers or superhuman abilities are really fucking bad and we're lucky they don't exist.

The Fiends are actually diagnosed as having "Raman-Klogius syndrome". Why? Because that's the names of two teenage boys that rampaged through their countries and murdered thousands of people. Shit like that makes you shiver.

Because it's a pleb filter.

>The Anime is one of the best sci-fi series i've seen, and one of the best shows of this decade.

Just so you know you're not alone. I watch a lot of bullshit these days and I really appreciate it when a series comes along that will become a classic in decades to come.

>BnHA
The funny thing is, SSY is basically a "realistic" BnHA, where actual humans get quirks and start doing what humans would do (lose their mind, murder, rape, and generally go apeshit), except there's only one quirk and it's a bit on the extreme end of the consequences (as much as shit would go south and badly too, I don't think shit would hit the fan that quickly and that violently as it did in SSY if people got superpowers).

Because Sup Forums dropped it second half when GAY happened.
Threads were fun and always up 24/7 until then. Had a hard time finding a thread after that.

because of it's nihilistic worldview

>Because Sup Forums dropped it second half when GAY happened.
Whoever dropped this because of the few seconds of Yaoi shown are fuckin retarded.

SQUEALER DID NOTHING WRONG!

If only it didn't have such an awful fanbase

Does she really dies while giving birth at the end of the book? I never found out if those rumors were truth.

Everyone is retarded in some way. Yaoi is too far for most people. Sup Forums has never liked Fujobait.

Watched first 2 episodes. Wow, physic/magic kids at school, no ones done that before. Also ugly art style.

It's good but yuri apologists from manga ruined the series reputation.

The manga is fun in its own right, and since the novel and anime exist I appreciate that it went a different way stylistically.

there is a lot in SSY that seems to not make sense initially, but is ultimately consistent with the mechanics and themes of the setting. whether or not the story checks out more or less as a whole, I'm not really sure. No point arguing it out point for point with someone who doesn't actually care about the show and just screams "muh plotholes" to validate themselves.

Who do you think it's narrating the story m8

No, it's is utterly terrible and the entirety of ep 4 is an exposition dump. Everything about it is pretty awful.

He didn't to anything wrong

That's going back to sqaure one m8. Its not that campus users were going extinct, humans were. Cantus users were increasing. All it would take is for one person to awaken or come from a different society to completely fuck them up.

He lost to the rat chad

squealer was an egotistical megalomaniac who did almost everything wrong.
if he wanted the best for his people he had plenty of options.
Instead he gambled everything on one big attack as soon as Akki's cantus awoke. His fight wasn't about justice or freedom, he just wanted to be the one who grinds humanity into the dirt and stands on top of the world.

You mean the dog right?
Man's best friend.