Anime encoding

Isn't it time for anime fansubs to start using H265/HEVC codec?, They keep using the H264 and 10bits.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=20PwaJYcnuk
youtube.com/watch?v=QEzhxP-pdos
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>fansubs

What does Daiz have to say about the matter?

idiots are complaining when someone is using 10bit hevc.

>nonexistent vendor support
Usability matters.

>Y PSNR (dB)

Fuck off, Daiz.

I don't know much about video, but opus for audio. Definitely needs to have opus audio. It's objectively the best lossy audio format right now with larger range and smaller filesize than aac or mp3.

opusenc readily converts flac and wav files to opus, so it's trivial operation. ffmpeg can convert rest of the formats, albeit with slightly worse quality since its implementation is not currently complete. I don't hear the difference between opusenc and ffmpeg outputs, but just so you know.

H265 always looks significantly worse. If storage is worth sacrificing quality why not download 360p? Obviously no-one does that, because it's a retarded mentality.

Where's the chart showing how HEVC constantly bugs out during playback while Hi10 never does? File size doesn't mean shit if the files don't work. And don't give me that bullshit about my desktop being too slow. It's not. The codec just isn't ready for widespread adoption and will probably be replaced by something better before it ever is.

>idiots are complaining when someone is using 10bit hevc.

Because muh 8 year old Thinkpad can't play it without shitting itself

Lmao HEVC only stutters on slow pcs, everyone with a literal core i3 with 3,0Ghz or more doesn't have a problem with it, perhaps if you didn't have a hardware from 2007

Honestly with how badly the fansub scene has tanked, I don't see it being adopted anytime soon.

The "I'm never going to pay" peeps might have a elitist group wank over it, but it won't catch on.

What media player are you using?

I really dislike that people switched to h264 10bit. After having read a lot of posts in fora I'm pretty sure the advantage is saving 10 percent space compared to 8bit. I don't see why for instance a 1.8 GB and 10 bit should be better than 2 GB and 8 bit.
I actually don't think people will switch to h265 because then you wouldn't need a computer anymore to watch the shows, which is apparently the point of using h264 10bit.

It's stupid to convert from lossy audio to lossy audio, though.

Can someone tell to these autistic BD fansubs to stop using FLAC?, thanks.

No. HEVC programs use up more CPU and memory overhead, so you can't run them on toasters.

>HEVC
>Using patent-encumbered shitware that'll be obsolete in a year or two anyways
Nah.

No? When you rip the BD raw the audio is already encoded in FLAC. You can't download it to MP3.

>They keep using the H264 and 10bits
Which is fine. It can only be used for BDs and DVD releases not TV rips. It is fine where it is for now. Later down the road when processors get better and 265 support is more widespread then yes it will happen.

>crApple is using it
Nah to your nah.

AAC is pretty good for audio. Opus is memed but I don't really hear a difference.

The replies to this thread are the exact same as they were 6 years ago.
What the fuck is the video industry doing?

What about additions like MadVR? Do you use them?

Apple is the ONLY big vendor really using it, and that's because they have patents with MPEG. It's just NIH shit.

Encoders will just use the extra room to get slightly higher quality, resulting in filesizes basically remaining the same.

Everyone uses madVR right?

>HEVC
Wait for AV1.

>fansubs
user, I have some news for you.

Everyone wants to be in bed with Apple. Every streaming site is going to support HEVC because of Apple. Without them, HEVC would be dead. With them, it's alive.

What exactly is the point if it raises system requirements?

That's dumb. You can't produce quality higher than the source so you should use the higher efficiency re-encode for lower file sizes only.

Lower filesizes.

>Later down the road when processors get better

t. someone with a dualcore

>significantly worse
Got any examples?

>watching your chinese cartoons on a toaster

>reducing usability to save a few Mb per episode

Not everyone spent $1000 on a performance PC just to shitpost on Sup Forums and watch stream rips.

>Every streaming site is going to support HEVC because of Apple
Every streaming site and CPU/GPU vendor is already a part of HEVC's competition.

According to you we'd still use postage stamp sized avi files.

Why the fuck you people keep using toasters, you can get a decent processor at $100, are you poor or what

IT'S TIME TO SUMMON DAIZ

youtube.com/watch?v=20PwaJYcnuk

No, not "a few". A significant percentage.
And for the people with the hardware, why not? Being on PC should be all about freedom of choice.
And by the way, pretty much every modern TV has hardware HEVC decoding built-in, so you could jam a USB stick in there or cast your files on the screen and it'd work just fine.

Would this classify as hunting or animal abuse?

>Not everyone spent $1000
>$1000 to run fucking HEVC

confirmed for not knowing jackshit about codecs

It doesn't matter. A site that doesn't stream HEVC will support Apple devices less optimally, and will lose out to other sites that support HEVC.

No one cares about crapple shit you retarded iToddler.

How would I softsub with an avi?

You don't even need to spend anywhere near that much to get sufficient performance. You just need to not be using a fucking dinosaur for a computer.

would this?

YouTube already doesn't support HEVC, and Apple users just have to suck it up.
Worldwide, Apple doesn't have all that much market-share anyways. So when it comes to Digital Distribution, Apple's impact means shit.

Not at all. Softsubs reduce usability.

BDs come with lossless audio, FLAC is a lossles way of compressing audio.

My $400 phone can.

The difference is that softsubs are actually worth reducing usability for.

I don't. Pure MPC HC BE here without anything else.

Who gives a shit about softsubs?

>using russian software

Apple shills begone.

My 200$ phone can as well.
Are you brazilian?

>Implying any official subs are good. Crunchyroll and Netflix make mistakes constantly

Stop using electrical appliances grandpa, they aren't for you.

Don't you miss being able to use NGU?

Maybe you should've searched a bit around before posting this, I have a lot of HEVC encoded anime and other stuff. There's no fucking point right now to use it for non-BD releases. Some are doing it anyway, but most wait for the BDs, because it takes it shitton of time to encode it into HEVC except you have monster CPUs. Also I cannot recommend encodes by [Cleo], they fucking butcher the sound and colours.

You know damn well no one here actually knows enough Japanese to be able to tell.

I can tell and I don't know any Japanese. I know when a translation is shit tier even without knowing the language. Just like I can tell that mangastream is shit without knowing the language

Way to prove you are a newfag, Sup Forums used to have Daily Japanese Threads, until hiro took over Sup Forums and he didn't want those DJT threads on Sup Forums, so they moved to /jp/

Only if you're sub 200 title ironic weeb.

BDs are encoded with lossless audio memeboi, stay retarded.
Pic related is the untouched BD of Kill la Kill.

/jp/ doesn't even have /DJT/ threads often anymore

Poseurs.

Why? They're just giving you more options, there's nothing stopping you from remuxing the audio since you give the lossless to start with.

You mean like this?

This, the size difference is only valuable at higher bitrates. HEVC is still difficult for phones where he decoding hasn't been implemented by devs.

It's diffcult for phones because most older SoCs do not support hardware HEVC decoding.

Unless source is fuckhueg 320 CBR mp3

It's still dumb. Never convert lossy to lossy.

PCM is an uncompressed audio format you retard

And lossless bigger retard.

>The people complaining are retarded phoneposters

When is hiro going to range ban phones?

Around the time he enables VP9 support.

My lurking app tells Sup Forums it's a web browser. Checkmate

"uncompressed" IS "lossless".
I think he was pointing out that you went and boxed the information about the audio's size, instead of just pointing to the Format, which would less ambiguously prove your point.

Ah yes. Still stuck with VP8 WebMs like some kind of barbarians.

When will Sup Forums accept VP9 webm?

No it's not. Converting 320CBR mp3 to VBR opus makes the file usually 3-5 times smaller and it doesn't compress the range in any way. That is the key.

VBR to VBR conversion is dumb because pointless because it neither adds any range, agree on that.

You're taking the artifacts that are in the lossy file and making them worse by amplifying them with another lossy encoding.
youtube.com/watch?v=QEzhxP-pdos

>dub: ching chong nip nong Hanekawa-san!
>sub: Cool story, Tsubasa!
There are three very easy ways to tell you're dealing with a shitty translation here, without knowing japanese. Can you spot them?

>>What exactly is the point if it raises system requirements?
Better quality? Duh.

Are you retarded?

>Isn't it time for anime fansubs to start using H265/HEVC codec?, They keep using the H264 and 10bits.
No. It is not time, and it likely never will be time to use HEVC.

Let me explain the many problems with HEVC:

It is patent encumbered, and so hard to get access to that it is not worth it for most commercial vendors to use.
It has motion artifacting, which is much harder than traditional artifacting to compensate for.
It is still a pain in the ass to encode for, taking much longer then the tried and true x264 encoder.
It is going to be deprecated in a few months when AV1 format is frozen.
Nearly every important hardware vendor and content distributer is against HEVC as seen in I've never had HEVC bug out on me

>I'm pretty sure the advantage is saving 10 percent space compared to 8bit.
The space savings are much better than 10%, and there's also functional advantages, such as reduced banding.
>you wouldn't need a computer anymore to watch the shows, which is apparently the point of using h264 10bit.
You don't need a computer to play hi10p

FLAC is the best format to use for BD rips, though.

Stick to your CEDs then grandpa.

If you saw the trash image quality of most streaming sites you wouldn't say what you just did.

>When you rip the BD raw the audio is already encoded in FLAC
FLAC is not part of the BD video standard. There is not one commercial BD with FLAC as an audio option

Sometimes you don't even need to have a real deep understanding of the language to recognize the basic mistakes some of those subbers do.

>Format: PCM
That's not FLAC

>No it's not.
Have you ever heard of 'generational decay'

It doesn't raise quality though.

>lossy
Top kek. Fuck off.

Go lossless or go home.

Doesn't sound like it'll work.

daiz daiz daiz daiz daiz

Fuck off, we elitist here.
What about BD encodes? I don't give a shit about airing shows quality anyway.
10 bit is a thing because no banding on new, digitally produced anime with no grain.
MadVR is a must if you use MPC. Otherwise you use MPV.