Do you think it's important to watch older...

Do you think it's important to watch older, influential shows to appreciate the modern shows more or just soak in more of the culture/history of anime? If so, what shows do you think are "essential" watching? I'd say Mobile Suit Gundam, Evangelion, Utena, and Sailor Moon are all up there.

I don't watch old shows due to their influence or to understand the media; like modern shows, I just watch them because they sound interesting and fun.

Mobile Suit Gundam is the shit.

Is Amuro the best mecha protagonist?

Start with the greeks
Move up from there
Once you're absorbed ancient China and mastered Japanese history and traditional art you can start watching anime starting with Katsudou shashin

the greeks are deprecated, you have to start with the sumerians now

In Gundam, though Amuro does have his charm, I prefer Kamille. In all of mecha I don't have a clue, there's too many

What are the best Gundam shows? Trying to get into it but I heard some are bad.

Yes. There are many, many references every episode of every anime that most casuals miss. You should not only watch more "classic" anime, but also, you should be decently versed in 3D movies, literature, science, history and the Japanese language if you want to have a truly "full" anime experience.

Victory, F91, Zeta, Turn A, 00, war in the pocket

As an easy base, you can watch the japanese subtitled movie trilogy of the original Mobile Suit Gundam. If you want to dive in, watch the original TV series.

just watch boku no pico

If you watch them with the idea that you're supposed to because they're influential then you won't enjoy them as much. You should just watch them because they are good.

Usually they were influential because they did something right. Instead of parsing through tons of contemporary stuff hoping that you will find something good, going through the classics gives you a better chance of finding a good show.

The only good Gundam is Turn A. The rest range from okay to downright terrible. Also don't listen to anyone telling you Zeta is good, its fucking terrible.

No.

The original is a legitimate masterpiece and don't let anyone tell you otherwise.

Agreed. It's the only Gundam that actually feels like a war story.

No. All gouf pilots however come pretty close.

Naw, Zeta is great. 10/10

I really hope they continue the origin to cover all of OYW.

Watching Gundam in production order right now. just finished 0083. It was shit. The two best ones so far are the original and ZZ. About to start Victory, and praying that it will be good, I don't want 50 episodes of garbage.

no amuro is the biggest faggot in history

No, it's important to watch older, influential shows because they're mostly good.

Pretty sure it's Jesus Yamato

>ZZ
>best
While 0083 is beautiful garbage, ZZ is fucking dogshit.

victory is trash user

No, you watch them because you want to.

MSG is not that good but it can be an entertaining watch, i'd rather spend time watching it than some uninspired seasonal anime

Liking ZZ and hating Z has been the contrarian opinion on /m/ for a year or so now

I'm not a huge fan of Z, though I did enjoy it overall, but nearly everything about ZZ just irritated me. The awful new characters that are rewarded for acting like total fuckwits, the character assassination of most of the returning cast like Bright and Haman, the nonsensical story that only barely makes sense with some outside knowledge about the planned relation between Glemy and Char, etc. It's such a fucking mess.

>I'd say Mobile Suit Gundam, Evangelion, Utena, and Sailor Moon are all up there.
In that case add Tetsujin 28th, Astro Boy and Mazinger Z to the list.

Oh you don't want to watch them because they're episodic as fuck? Too bad because according to your own rules, you should be watching them.

I think that it's important.
Essential shows are: UC Gundams before 1995, Akira, Megazone 23, LotGH, Bubblegum Crisis, Patlabor, Utena, Votoms

>Tetsujin 28th, Astro Boy
They aren't fully subbed.

/m/ and Sci Fi are my favorite genres too, and several of those are among my all time favorites, but I think that there ought to be more than one essential from other genres.

Yes, for example, not watching 0079 would make large points of Gundam X fly over your head as to why they did them.

Kimagure orange road

>Do you think it's important to watch older, influential shows to appreciate the modern shows more or just soak in more of the culture/history of anime?
No, you should watch them because you can enjoy and appreciate them on their own merits.

Mazinger Z is.

Finished this series a while ago, strong influences to modern romance com anime still remains today for good and bad. Even the movie which took a more serious tone influence stuff like Kimi ga Nozomu Eien and White Album anime.

>watching anime based on a far superior manga

only sometimes. for the most part you dont need to look to the past to appreciate the future

Good choices so far, with Utena and Gundam but how come no one's shown any love for Lain? Probably wouldn't hurt to also check out Oshii's 80s work
As for Gundam, I'd say that most of the ones pre-SEED are good shows, with a few exceptions, but the only ones that are really influential is the original and Zeta

Also check out VOTOMS and Ideon since we're recommending good old mechas. I heard Ideon is a big influence on Evangelion

Lain's excellent but I'm not sure how influential it is. It's kind of riding the wave NGE and Ghost in the Shell made before it.

I don't watch old shows for historical importance or anything like that, I just watch them because there's a bunch that are genuinely great.

I don't get why people think old anime is inherently worse. It's not as if you go back to 1981 and all of a sudden anime writing is primitive, the stories told back then are just as interesting as the stories told now. And the anime industry doesn't really seem to build on or evolve old ideas often, so it's not as if something like Gundam 0079 is a more simple version of *insert modern mecha*.
It's more clever and original in its storytelling than a lot of modern mecha in many ways, and the only thing to really build off of and expand its ideas was Evangelion, which is likewise old.

Maybe the advancement in animation is what people are talking about? Even then, while we get a lot more sakuga filled anime nowadays, we also get more shitty looking ones as well, yet people seem willing to watch those, so I don't see how well-animated but old anime is an obstacle to watching older shows.

>Do you think it's important to watch older, influential shows to appreciate the modern shows more or just soak in more of the culture/history of anime
Yes. It's important for literally every medium. This is why you should have completed 300 anime before posting on Sup Forums, by that time you've watched or know of a good chunk of the classics and have room to watch what you enjoy.

Yeah I think so, not only do they constitute the best of anime they're important to have seen for discussion beyond oh I like this or that show because it's funny and the story was good. I think it would be better if everyone had a better awareness of history.