Is 'muh filtered photographs' a legitimate criticism when it works?

Is 'muh filtered photographs' a legitimate criticism when it works?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matte_painting
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Post more please.

It doesnt, though. Someone recently posted a WebM of the KyoAni animation process, and of the 5 steps shown, the product looked by far the best after the 3rd. 4th and 5th was a bunch of filters that made it look worse.

"Filter" implies you just automate it and run an algorithm over the image and are done.
The pic you posted is mostly manual repainting. The filter is only the first step.
And all professional production is about taking as many shortcuts as possible to an optimal result. Not only would you need much more skilled background artists to paint those backgrounds from scratch, it'd also take much more time for a marginally better end result, which means you just wasted a shitload of money just for the sake of pride.

Repainting a photograph is not same as using filter.

>dat shinkai touch
Worth a damn money for that artbook.

Only when it's lazily done, which is not your case.

/thread

It's only okay when SHAFT did it

It's an artistic choice that only us smart people understand.

It's like that on purpose, dumbass.

I couldn't care less if it looks good

Weak.

Neither filtered photos nor repainted photos.

Everything was based on something once. In fact, to make something that doesn't borrow from a real place or picture, you have to be some sort of madman like Dali or Giger.

This always makes the school feel dreary in comparison.

you are making it sound like painting is some sort of technology. You wouldn't get a 'marginally better end result' because making a landscape painting from scratch shouldn't necessarily look even close to what is on that pic

The real place has that forlorn King County vibe.

Real life is just dreary in-general.

that's just a shitty day, real life at its best is far better than art

if you don't believe me just drop some acid

The RL school has been closed for a while.

Anime is an inferior medium to manga

Most anime fans don't even care about the art of animation, while manga fans have a rudimentary knowledge or enthusiasm for the creative process

What looks better is not necessarily what fits better. The latter being far more important.

the only way something that looks worse would 'fit better' is if everything else also looks worse

Worse compared to what? It's about making the backgrounds fit the animation, not the other way around.

looks nice desu

What should I do if I want to be a background artist for anime?
>find locations, photograph
>paint over and filter
Sounds comfy. I would love wandering around japan with a camera. Does it pay well?

In the end, Photography is the sole art that mater.

It's true.

Not really. You can tell from the final image that the entire photo was painted over, and the alternative would be to paint from a photo reference instead of painting over. The difference is largely a matter of speed - this method eliminates the need for a strong, accurate drawing because you just paint over the photo.
Also
This. The first step isn't even a filter, it's regular photo post processing, things like adjusting exposure, levels, and white balance that are par for the course when adjusting photos for any use.
>You wouldn't get a 'marginally better end result' because making a landscape painting from scratch shouldn't necessarily look even close to what is on that pic
It's not a landscape painting to hang on a wall in a museum, it's a background to be used in an anime for probably a very short part of the overall running time. It looks like what it NEEDS to look like to do it's job, and painting from scratch won't improve that unless you're very deliberately going for a strong stylistic effect or fantastic landscape that doesn't exist on Earth.
What should I do if I want to be a background artist for anime?
Get good at painting landscapes. Mind you, I mean without painting over - there will almost certainly be times you have to rely on your skill rather than just a photo, so you'll need to be able to draw and paint well to start. Plein air painting would be good practice, and you'll want to learn perspective.
>Does it pay well?
Probably not, and you can expect long hours during crunch times.

This is why propaganda is egregious. It filters the reality of a situation with a falsified romanticizm.

Never going to Nippon.

>while manga fans have a rudimentary knowledge or enthusiasm for the creative process
Bitting the bait here.

Asano Inio say "Hey".

>tumblr filename

>Get good at painting landscapes.

Actively doing this now. Can a gaijin get jobs like this? Is it /comfy/ or too stressful and tight deadlines? I want it to be nice and relaxed but it probably isn't.

Muh filtered photographs isn't even a legitimate criticism when it doesn't work

>Can a gaijin get jobs like this?
Yes, you can. Mateusz Urbanowicz did it, he's polish. Thomas Romain also works in anime, but not on backgrounds.
>Is it /comfy/ or too stressful and tight deadlines? I want it to be nice and relaxed but it probably isn't.
Probably not. It's going to depend on a lot of things, including how many backgrounds need to be painting and how fast you can do it. James Gurney talked about his time working on backgrounds for Bakshi's Fire and Ice movie, and said he made 11 paintings every week. You can probably expect a similar pace.

90% of manga backgrounds are traced. Characters too.

>90% of manga backgrounds are traced. Characters too.

Its an abandoned school, what do you expect? Also it wouldn't looks as drab in comparison if they photos weren't shot on a cloudy day.

And its so easy a caveman could do it.

Following hundreds of artists on twitter.

Gantz author doing same shit with 3d. He is pretty awful without reference models.

Why is reality so shit?

Whatever goes if it looks good. Sure, you can do filtered photographs that look good but in the end the only thing that matter is you. Do you want to be a talentless hack who needs CGI do nice art? Do you want to do stuff from memory and make it look good?

Complaining about filters is retarded given time and money concerns in a studio. However, critique is legitimate if we think about personal development

Using references is not the same as outright tracing.

He is tracing over renders.

Studio Pablo >>> all.

That's an abandoned school on a cloudy day that was 'refurbished' in the anime. How is it propaganda again?

Anime having location scouts and shit is a thing.

I like these.

They're so great. Wish more studios could dedicate themselves to authentically good art like that.

This kills the Biyoris

Are you dumb? That's the point.
The school will turn into a broken ghost town when the biyoris grow up and leave.

Propaganda as in "country life is better then city life" and look at the reality of it, abandoned and desolated.

City life is flourishing and country life is withering.

Try to look for deeper meaning in your anime, user.

Do background artists have to get permission from landowners/local government to take and trace these photos?

That bottom one is a really cool photograph

That's where Inio fanbase reside.

No. Think of all the legal hassle.

I can't speak to Japan's laws, but at least in the US you can take a photo of anything in public, and normally publish, so something like this would largely be fine so long as you're not photographing something you're not supposed to(I live near a military base with lots of "NO PHOTOGRAPHY" signs). If you can see it from public land it's fair game, although things like trademarked names and the like could get you in trouble(thus WacDonalds instead of Mcdonalds and the like). I wager it's not too terribly different over there.

And have they shown that desolatory scenery in the anime/manga yet? No.
Have the Biyoris mature into adults yet? No.

Until then, fuck off. NNB is a very simplistic comfortable and healing anime. Atto is wearing her nostalgia-goggles on to secured and tightly to even draw such a thing.

But it's so beautiful because there is always that shadow lingering in the reader/viewer's minds. We all know that way of life is dying.
Obviously Atto knows it too.

Yes and no it doesn't work
It's just as bad or worse when it's used in manga

mh what chapter of tsugumomo is that

Watch interview with Asano, fag

This is /ic/ tier thread
special for you.
>en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matte_painting

Only if it doesn't fit the anime. So like that one scene in hibikek where the filtered background looks obvious as shit out of nowhere and the scrolling doesn't match Kumiko's footsteps.