Seriously, what the fuck happened? Where is my real Evangelion movie? Anno, are you insane?

Seriously, what the fuck happened? Where is my real Evangelion movie? Anno, are you insane?

One of these questions is not like the others.

I'll tell you what happened.

Every writer has his bias and preferences, and for a writer and director that's an otaku like Anno, that means he likes some of the characters more than others. Like we all know, Anno likes Asuka because (his words) "she's cute", and doesn't seem to like Rei much at all. He also has a soft spot for Kaworu according to interviews.

Naturally Anno would be upset that Rei Ayanami lords over his favorite characters in the polls and the public eye. His new EVA works is his aggressive and underhanded attempt at changing that.

3.33, and arguably 2.22 and 1.11, are these biases put into practice - although 3.33 is the only one of them that takes it to extreme lengths. While 2.22 features a complete rewrite of Asuka that is more empowered and has less psychological issues, 3.33 makes her into a warrior princess with super-human strength and near absolute authority. In the mean time Rei is written out of the story and replaced with what is for the first time in eva history, a honest to god doll human - the Rei in black.

The timeskip, the high tempo and all the nonsensical rewrites and additions are plot devices and tools to make the above happen.

So there is no real mystery as to why Rebuild turned out the way it did. It was just the writer and director taking out his frustration that his favorite character wasn't the most popular. Looking at Rebuild 3.33, it now makes perfect sense:

- Shinji is punished, hated and ridiculed for what he's done - saving and caring about Rei
- The entire world is destroyed by the looks of it, because Shinji tried to save Rei
- Rei is removed from the story, and separated from Shinji
- Rei is also looked down upon, as all the characters make condescending remarks towards her
- (she has no soul, don't fuss so much about her, I/we don't care what you do, the original was better, she's not even Rei)
- Shinji is kept out of the loop and used constantly, even by Kaworu
- Kaworu is now more powerful and important than ever, has a huge chunk of the focus going from one episode to an entire movie (plus previous cameos)
- Anno's favorite, Asuka has now become virtually invincible being stripped of all psychological problems and is given super strength and mysterious backgrounds

So if you want an accurate analysis on what 3.33 actually was, it wouldn't be far off or even inaccurate to say that it symbolizes all the fanbase vitriol and nerd anger that came from Rei and Shinji being the franchises most popular characters. Virtually every change made to Shinji or Rei has been changes that reflect the needs and desires of people who dislike their characters, and it's safe to say 3.33 was created to undermine it's two principal characters - with no real story or plot as the tradeoff.

>Naturally Anno would be upset that Rei Ayanami lords over his favorite characters in the polls

I don't know what makes you think this is a natural response. Most people don't get upset that other people like different things to themselves.

>I don't know what makes you think this is a natural response. Most people don't get upset that other people like different things to themselves.

You don't really believe this, do you? Being angry that people like things you don't like is the national sport of all mankind.

Like, there's an anecdote from Anno where he says he went around telling people to "watch this instead of this" since he thought it was better.

>trusting a japanese jew

Eva isn't supposed to be about you're waifu. It's supposed to be about life. Both Khara and the fans are equally guilty of not seeing this.
Also I love the amount of hatred put into those 2 images. Whoever made them, Anno really cored that fucker.

>Being angry that people like things you don't like is the national sport of all mankind.

No really it isn't the majority of people are far too wrapped up in their own world and life to give a single fuck what you think or do at all with regards to anything.

Assuming even an ounce of that nonsensical dribble you wrote is true. I can surmise three key points.

>Anno likes worst girl.
>Anno is a butthurt otaku faggot.
>Anno has no idea what the fuck he's doing.

Honestly, this would be a better explanation as to why he wrote Eva 3.33 the way he did. It's funny how the highlight of these rebuilds will always be the moment Shinji decides to grow a pair and save Ayanami.

I was never a fan of either of the two main girls. Before watching the rebuilds. I found Ayanami to have the personality of a talking fleshlight. Asuka was a condescending bratty cunt the entire time, never saw the appeal. I've always been a fan of Ritsuko. Best voice actress, sexiest character design and best personality out of all the girls. However, after watching 2.22; Rei kind of grew on me. I was actually rooting for Shinji to save her. She had a semblance of a personality and it even made me like Asuka more because her reactions to Rei and Shinji. Kind of sad to see all the progress in the right direction thrown down the drain for what is arguably one of the worst anime films I have ever seen.

>Eva isn't supposed to be about you're waifu. It's supposed to be about life.

The original EVA was like that, but not the new EVA, which is specifically about promoting and selling waifus. It has little to do with life besides that.

Millenia of conflict over the most trivial of topics would see you wrong there. This is also something that concerns the otaku community, which are hooked up into the same little world and do in fact, give a fuck about even more trivial and pointless things.

Maybe you're just naive and want to believe the better of things, but all of recorded history shows you're wrong.

It is nonsensical dribble, isn't it? By that I mean that it is utterly insane that an esteemed writer would actually sink so low over so little. But here we are.

Need I remind you that there's been deniers and covers up over how an esteemed Hollywood director, kept in check purely because people either didn't want it to be true, or because they were benefiting from it. Now that it's out in the open, it's like a wound full of puss bursting open.

For Anno, and this fanbase, it may be the exact same thing - and just like you said, there exists no better explanation for the Rebuild series nor Anno's behavior in general aside from the fact that he is just that butthurt otaku faggot.

The same otaku everyone, even his wife, tells people that he is.

You have a warped view of reality and possible mental illness.

You're naive and don't understand how cynical people who make money are.

Am I the only one who thinks the naming scheme for these is retarded?
Good jub, English translators in 1997 for naming it the End of Evangelion instead of some fucked up, more precise translation of 新世紀エヴァンゲリオン劇場版 Air エア/まごころを、君に

Basically, if you thought 3.33 had some sort of point to it's story - you were dead wrong.

It's worth adding that saving Rei wasn't Anno's plan either. They invited a third party, I believe it was Enokido, who was to pitch some ideas. He pitched the "Let's save Rei" idea, and according to Enokido, the people around him got angry and gave him cold stares.

Normal well adjusted people want to see Rei saved precisely because Rei is the image of a good girl who tries to help out and suffers a lot for it. Anno, not being such a person, would probably be unable to come up with that idea himself.

I just don't want to believe that someone with his position can be so petty and downright pathetic but you do make a good point about that (((Hollywood))) guy.

Thought experiment:
We give an Sup Forumsnon eva fan the reins to the Evangelion project. Wouldn't this Sup Forumsnon try to subtly change the eva works to his or her favor?
What's stopping Anno from doing the same?

Well, not to offend you, but most people are lemmings, and that includes me I guess.

We have all our needs satisfied, and if we introduce such a horrible idea that someone at the top is doing something to undermine the rest of our society, regardless of how small it is, we won't want to believe it. In fact it'll just make things more difficult. So we let it slide, and look the other way.

If we really want to get serious, Anno has been doing this a lot, and not just with the Rebuilds - hasn't every one of his non-EoE works featured a drastically reduced Rei in some aspect?

If the Roboterjud wanted to sell me something, he failed miserably. Characters that lack real passion and drive have all the sexual attraction and attractiveness of a syncro chart.

>OY VEY THE GOYIM KNOW
>SHUT IT DOWN

You may not have drank the kool-aid, but you at least took a sip.

The rampant popularity of the "new Asuka" merchandise and the "new Kaworu" merchandise as well as other merchandise proves a lot of people downed it bottoms up. They could have probably sold more and become bigger, sure, but that would have taken actual effort.

I could understand these arguments, but the point is that Anno changes everything. No more flashing images, no more narrative and plot continuity, damn, even the aspect ratio changes to 2.35:1 for no reason. Sounds as if Anno left in order to fap to Asuka drawings, and some random guys completed the movie.

Also, this is no longer Evangelion, but Space Battleship Yamato. I am afraid that this guy is no longer our idolised director.

>Normal well adjusted people want to see Rei saved precisely because Rei is the image of a good girl who tries to help out and suffers a lot for it.

The rebuilds did a pretty good job of showing this. I never got that sense from the originals. It's funny because if his intention was to make a 'perfect waifu' and dangle her in front of his viewers only to rip her to shreds in our faces. He was successful. Ayanami never felt more like a proper likeable character than she did in 2.22. Before that movie, there wasn't a lot going for her. It really backfired on him because I think the amount of people that liked Ayanami was likely a lot lower than those that liked Asuka. After the movie that likely shifted in Ayanami's favor. Another thing that never made any fucking sense to me was how Misato reacted to everything in 3.33. Misato was the number 1 shipper of Shinji x Ayanami going so far as to push Shinji into being selfish and just saving the girl he likes, fuck the world and all that. Then suddenly she goes full Hitler and acts like Shinji was to blame for everything. Like Anno was self-inserting as Misato in 3.33.

That title is implying all sorts of implications, and it also spoils the entire movie. No wonder they changed it.

The action was the biggest clusterfuck I've ever seen. God damn the ending jumped the shark hard. My friend walked in on me watching this shit and neither of us could understand what the hell we were looking at. Didn't help that they were rapid firing all sorts of confusing jargon. It was his first Eva experience and his last.

Well, this:
> I never got that sense from the originals. It's funny because if his intention was to make a 'perfect waifu' and dangle her in front of his viewers only to rip her to shreds in our faces. He was successful. Ayanami never felt more like a proper likeable character than she did in 2.22. Before that movie, there wasn't a lot going for her.

Is just some subjective opinion you've convinced yourself after the fact. It makes no sense to call Evangelion's de facto most popular character "unlikeable". A lot of people, a vast majority of the intended audience in fact, find Rei likable to this very day. Also, before 2.22 was made, people still wanted to see Rei saved or helped in some respect, which is actually what gave rise to the existence of the salvation scene in the first place.

Personally I found Rei very likable as a character in the original, and so did virtually everyone else I know. The only exception are the hardcore otaku in the fanbase who need to convince themselves they don't like Rei because they like Asuka or another character.

but this:
>Then suddenly she goes full Hitler and acts like Shinji was to blame for everything. Like Anno was self-inserting as Misato in 3.33.

Yeah. That definitely adds up - Misato and the other characters are being turned into mumbling idiots simply to please the hardcore nerds that hate Rei and didn't like that Shinji tried to save her.

>Asuka was a condescending bratty cunt the entire time
I recently checked Neon Genesis again, and I realised that Asuka was the most fragile of the girls. All these barriers are there to avoid pain.

>when you realize that the waifufags, asukafags and kaworufags defending Anno are the same people that would defend Weinstein

>Is just some subjective opinion you've convinced yourself after the fact.

Yes, I know but my point is that 2.22 fleshed Rei more than anything else in the franchise. I'm not saying people didn't like her before, but in the case of people like me who didn't care about her. It helped me see her in a different light. Those slice of life parts of 2.22 were probably my favorite NGE related thing.

Be that as it may it doesn't change that her personality was complete shit. She wasn't the only one that was fragile. Literally everybody in that series had a lot of baggage they were dealing with.

I had to google what it was. What the fuck does it have to do with ANYTHING?

>Yes, I know but my point is that 2.22 fleshed Rei more than anything else in the franchise.
It didn't do that at all though. Rei has far more content where she questions herself. The difference is that she doesn't go cooking, and Rebuild is missing a lot of Rei content.

But it's not like I don't get your point, because 2.22 is more concentrated Rei and maybe just needed to rewatch NGE to get a feel for Rei again.

>he had to google one of the biggest scandals in recent history
Do you like live under a rock something? Point is, everyone knew what Harvey Weinstein was doing, but everyone kept their mouth shut about it.

Exactly how people know exactly what Anno is doing when he's butchering Rei's character and glorifying Asuka's. Asukafags and Kaworufags are piling together to keep things quiet because it's good for them and their interests.

Are you like, 12 or something?

>Seriously, what the fuck happened?
Uninspired cash grab.

>Where is my real Evangelion movie?
Just watch the TV show / EoE.

>Anno, are you insane?
He's always been insane. Only insane people can come up with this in the first place.

How does it spoil the movie?

He's a Sup Forumstard with his tinfoil hat showing. This thread is full of it.

>Where is my real Evangelion movie?
right here faggot

Just because I couldn't give a single fuck about the abuser, doesn't mean I don't empathise with the victim.
Also, why should I get emotionally invested in something just because tv told me to? Isn't one of the points of Eva deciding for yourself what's important or not. I could think about a fat, rapey, unhygenic jew I never met or I could think about the people I really race about. Everyone's fucking choice.
I may consider neural lacing and m/m interfacing something important that's going to change all sorts of jobs including creative ones, but I'm not going to insert it in every unrelated conversation just because.
And as far as mental age goes you know exactly what it is.

>butthurt brainlet living under a rock
Mad asukafag detected.

>all this incoherent rambling as a pathetic attempt to justify living under a rock
>all that babbling to pretend he didn't get the simple point that otaku nerds are protecting their moe drug supplier, anno
Wow, I'm sorry about your condition.

And for the record I do live under a rock. I only watch the news and avoid/ignore everything that tries to tell me how to feel, what to think, or how to replace or modify reality.
I'd rather spend time in nature, breathe or just be there for people instead of leading a false existence being influenced and avoiding influence. If that puts me into the bright, orange zone labeled anta baka, so be it. Stupid people are happy.

Watched the original + EoE, should I bother with the rebuild?
What is the point of these movies?

what the fuck is this tumblr art

And you reveal your true colors at last. And those are low empathy, low reading comprehension, and lack of regard for others.
If anyone should be sorry it's me.

>Reitards are actually Sup Forumstards
Makes sense

1.11 and 2.22 are a nice tribute. 3.33 is a big nono.

m0*t the cuck is an asukafag.

What's the point of watching them over the original? From what I've seen the animation & artstyle are worse.
And what's the point of the new girl?

this so called cuck has been supporting this shithole for you to post for 12 years by spending his own money and time
also
>unironically using the word "cuck" on Sup Forums
just how fucking new are you, Sup Forumstard?

3.33 is actually good because of how different it is

it certainly has issues but at least they tried to make something other than the same shit over again with sexier animation

waifuism, in general, if the movie was a rei jack off fest it would have sucked too. the movie was a asuka jack off fest and sucked, they focused on the girls and not the plot.

Shin Godzilla shows that Anno is still perfectly capable of writing and directing a good movie. He just hates Evangelion and wants to shit on the franchise as a final 'fuck you' to the braindead fanbase.

yeah, he doesn't like making Eva any more.

What's the point of watching them over the original? From what I've seen the animation & artstyle are worse.
The original scene redrawings are slightly better than the BluRay remaster. The general animation quality is better. Some scenes are different... Obviously it will never have the 90's anime magic, copied to a VHS and watched in a CRT TV.

>And what's the point of the new girl?
Selling more toys. The same for the new Eva 02 Cat mode, and the new Mark X units.

I unironically liked that Godzilla version. It is more Evangelion than 3.33.

they should do a complete remaster of the original using the new art from the rebuilds

No. Because no.

why not?

The last thing Eva needs is another lazy money grab

All this talk about Anno's anti-Rei and Shinji conspiracy plan over the Rebuilds really reminds me of just how Eva is allowed to be a full and rich story when directed by someone without these damaging attitudes towards their own characters.

Sadamoto's manga version was really allowed to flourish because of this.

The original designs are better.

true, but it wouldn't be bad unless they changed scenes around, what i meant was remaster show in the new art-style

yes but it wouldn't be bad, although the new art style did fuck up a couple of scenes, like the rei smile scene in 1.11

>Sadamoto's manga
I liked that costumbrist and "daily life" feel. Also, Kaworu is a lot better developed here.

is the manga worth reading?

Not for our Reibros though, they seemed to be disappointed with it

>Obviously it will never have the 90's anime magic, copied to a VHS and watched in a CRT TV.
Fuck VHS. It was shit even back in the 80s. I'm talking about the Blu-Ray/16mm film quality. it really makes the art look good.

Absolutely.

does the manga follow the anime (since the anime finished before manga)

That must just be oldfag autism from the trauma of Rei's death in the manga which, admittedly, was a strong scene but one that served the story immensely by portraying Shinji's second loss, only this one giving him hope. There's absolutely no need to feel upset about Rei's portrayal there if you're a Rei fan and not just an otaku waifufag loser; she's the most important character besides Shinji, the most important person to Shinji, and the key to the entire answer of the plot.

Neither was it an "Asuka end", and only a waifufag would call it such. Shinji from the end of the manga isn't even the Shinji from the manga, he's a reincarnation in a world given hope by his old self and Ayanami, who is now the snow that falls over everything. He met with Kensuke, yet not Toji either -- they're chance meetings of the eath. It's a new Shinji with a new world and new beginnings, not the same character.

Rei's never been treated better as a character. He story is one of sadness and suffering, yet never has she and Shinji been so important.

It's close to the anime, but some scenes are completely different. Actually, it's the vision of Sadamoto instead of Anno's.

ah, sounds nice.

yeah waifu otaku fags ruined Eva.

Rebuilds have a cheaper visual style with no shading, solid colors without noise or weathering, and a lot of composited smoke/lights/etc to hide how simple and basic it really is. Just because something is high budget does not magically mean it is also high quality.
In terms of character and creature design, everything is simplified compared to the original. Less detail, less shading, less depth and purposefully made to be easy to animate. Same goes for mechanical design and architectural side of things.
In terms of animation, much less attention is given to the character's body language, visual cues and posture. Again, this is hidden with a lot of compositing tricks which are basically there to provide distraction. Lots of smoke, bright lights and fast linear movements. These are easy enough to make and keep the viewer occupied, and you basically just have to composit them on top of the frame. As long as you remembered to give the effect a semitransparent edge, it will look good no matter what you do with it. Same goes for filters and vignettes.
Choreography I guess. Fights in Eva were fast and savage, with periods of anxious, careful waiting and observing between two action scenes. Time itself was used as a medium. In Rebuild the fights are non-stop action, all at the same pace without ups and downs. It's also animated like a dance or a performance, there is nothing in the pilot's or the eva's movements that would cue the viewer that this person is fighting for their life. Even when a character gets excited and has an EXAGGERATED close-up, it all looks like a performance and not like a fight.
Music in Rebuilds doesn't serve the movie or create an atmosphere, it exists in its own right, turning each fight into a profesionally made amv where the characters and relationships are subservient to the audio.
Same goes for use of colors and color correction. Full natural palette versus deutsch metal eye rape.

good point

>1.0 was released closer to EoE in time than it was to us.

Pretty much. This fanbase is full of idiots who hate Rei because she's popular, just look at this thread, the Asuka and Kaworu fans are really going at it.

tfw no comfy summer evenings, listening to the sound of cicadas with your friends.

Damn, I nearly cried with "that" scene...

>this falseflag

fuck, rei conspiracy tards showed up time to abandon thread

It's not just this thread, the absolute lowest point of discussion inevitably comes when the Rei-haters try to defend their fan fiction, and 3.33.

Saw this in another thread:
observe how the asukafag/kaworufag clings to an intentionally lesser interpretation of Rei because they hate the actual Rei.

jesus christ, do you have to do this in every Eva thread.

I'm not doing anything, look at those posts and your own - do you really want to do this every EVA thread?

Because every time someone is going to point out that Rebuild sucks, and blaming Rei fans, the only group that had nothing to with Rebuild at all is just beyond retarded. Just accept that Asukafags and Kaworufags are cancer, and that if you're a part of it, that you are too.

I accept that you are cancer. Is that good enough?

They are spoofs of the art style of a political cartoonist who's name escapes me. Mc something... idk

Why is the Evangelion fanbase full of waifufags?
The girls in the series are broken characters full of flaws, and trope breakers at that. When watching the sereis for the first time, it barely crossed my mind to argue who the best girl. The show had much more to offer than that.

Get a life dude, or you're going to be stuck doing damage control for your idol Anno till the day you die.

>Seriously, what the fuck happened? Where is my real Evangelion movie? Anno, are you insane?

He's rich, free and doesn't give a fuck any more. If he can make big bucks pandering to otaku that like Asuka and Kaworu, he will. Those idiots will eat from his dick as long as they get the pandering they want.

>tumblr
>unable to recognize Kelly
>crying_lady_of_liberty_in_the_background.png

You're a total faggot and the cancer killing both Eva and Eva threads. Once again, off yourself. And here's a picture of Asuka, since everytime you see her you get unbelieveably butt blasted. It's hilarious how immature you are.

It's the characters' flaws that make them so unique and appealing. They're like real life people, they're all deeply flawed and can't live together effectively, but have the potenial to improve. The rabbid flamewarring Reifags missed that point and think that their waifu is perfect and shit on everyone else

The absolute state of Reifags

You're a total faggot and the cancer killing both Eva and Eva threads. Once again, off yourself. And here's a picture of Rei, since everytime you see her you get unbelieveably butt blasted. It's hilarious how immature you are.

>when Asukafans get mad at the mere sight of Rei

>I know you are, but what am I
Seriously, user...? You've been btfo three threads in a row, just kill yourself. You fragile delusion of Eva centering around Rei has been broken, she won't get a happy end (who the fuck in Eva does, faggot), you've lost everything. So end yourself. Not even all Reifags, just you and your butt buddies specifically.

Anno got money, stopped being miserable, and his work dropped in quality.

An artist must suffer for their art. That's why they call it pain-ting.

>it's the same butthurt asukafag that throws a tantrum every time Rei is posted or discussed in the thread

But does that mean an autist must suffer for their >>/out/

>implying Anno didn't know what he was doing with this character

Holy fucking shit these threads are hilarious
Don't forget to report!

It's a shame Reifags self insert as Shinji and hate everyone else in this image because they interfere with Reitime. I, a non insane Eva fan, enjoy all the characters. Their flaws make them worthwile.

True, I feel pity for them

Good user. I'll post some pics of the characters for you