The heartwarming story of two lovers who were too retarded to look at the calendar or call each other until it was too...

>The heartwarming story of two lovers who were too retarded to look at the calendar or call each other until it was too late
Bravo Shinkai

This is why Kino no Katachi was superior.

Normies: but hey muh masterpiece!

Your name was more entertaining to watch, if you are willing to overlook plotholes.

you don't remember details from dreams, just gists

>heartwarming
i wish
i felt nothing
maybe because a huge chunk of their development was cramped into a 5 minutes long segment

>Kino
>normies
Quality thread. Fuck off, both of you.

They were able to write stuff down, did it never occur to them to ask the other why the date is 3 years in the past / future?

They never saw the year
go on your phone, unless you have it set up some autistic way, it doesn't show the year just the day date month and time

But on laptops and TV's and the news and weather and all of that shit shows the year nice and clear

Stop trying to make them look like they aren't retarded when they clearly are, also the MC just happened to forget about a giant fucking meteor hitting a small japanese town

Shinkai said it was shit himself, he wasn't wrong

I personally thought the visuals were so good they were sufficient to compensate for a lackluster plot. My biggest 2 gripes are with the plotholes and the total lack of development for the male character. We know jackshit about him besides muh architecture and nothing about his background/family.

Yes you fit in, stop trying now.

You generally forget your dreams altogether like three seconds after waking up. If you want to insist that the movie was just being "realistic", then it shouldn't have happened at all.

I feel like many people miss the fact that their body-swap experiences were dreamlike, they forgot most things about them very easily (which comes to a head towards the end) and they certainly didn't remember the small details they weren't specifically looking for like the year.

He had no idea he was connecting with a girl in the past. He only saw one message of her talking about a meteor, why would he link it to one from three years ago?

Yes I do. I remember having to walk over people in bondage gear having sex to use the bathroom or that I was having a bath with a girl I barely knew in high school.

Yeah, my thoughts exactly. We see his dad like once, and his friends and coworkers a bit but not as much as we see Mitsuha's life. Plot hole ridden and sappy but god damn was it beautiful as fuck and it almost made me cry some like a faggot bitch who gets sad at plothole ridden movies.

>Big meteor
>Only comes into Earth's orbit once every 1200 years
>3 years ago it broke apart and hit a town, killing hundreds.

If he wasn't retarded, he'd remember that

There's more than one meteor in existence. When he read the message on his phone, he just didn't think it was referring to that meteor, what's so strange about it? Would you immediately think a person who for all you know is living at the same time as you would be excited to see a meteor that passed by and fell three years ago?

Not texting/calling each other at least at some point was a bit strange, I guess they just found the notes-system to be too convenient.

As for the Calendar, I can kind of see how it might be possible to miss the year date unless you're looking for it, especially when you've got bigger things to worry about, but noticing the date as 201X instead of 201Y should be an immediate red flag for either of them.

Even assuming they missed the year, the Monday-Sunday compared to the Date of the month should unalign. Even if they both see it as the 8th of May, for one of them it could be a friday and the other a sunday. This should be an immediate red flag considering they are both on school schedules.

Although I guess maybe they did touch on this when they put the school uniform on and the sister asked why she was wearing it. He may have thought it was going to be a wednesday the 18th when it was actually a saturday the 18th or whatever.

I'd put two and two together

>The slightly regressed technology
>No songs on the radio made after the year 2013
Taki was just retarded and Shinkai wanted to shove in older woman/younger man (even if the difference is subtle) after Garden of Words wasn't enough

They say they swapped two or three times a week over the course of about a month, so they wouldn't be able to notice discrepancies in a daily routine at least. They were still in their own bodies most of the time.

>Shinkai
>some Japanese band nobody gives a shit about
>Yamada
>The fucking Who
It's clear who's the superior one

Name was a better movie and visuals.
Voice was a better story and music.

Details, in a dream nonetheless. Still, let's just agree to disagree. What are plotholes to you are small nitpicks to me, and I don't think there's any one way to look at it.

Yeah, makes sense I guess. Swapping a Saturday to a Sunday isn't much to notice. Nor is swapping a Tuesday to a Wednesday.

So if the "Why are you wearing your school uniform" was to allude to that I can believe that it only happened once and is possibly brushed over as "Is it Saturday? I guess so.. thought it was Thursday last but I guess not.".

I also consider knk to have better voice acting.

The main duo of Your Name did a pretty good job in my opinion giving that they had to voice their character and another character in their character's body. But other than that, I really thought overall the VA was good but not stand out.

Slightly regressed technology is quite hard to spot in a hodunk town in the countryside.

Hearing someone talk about "I just got the XPhone4!" could be brushed off with a thought of just "Really? But the XPhone6 comes out next month, man this really IS the countryside.". Same applies for radios, odds are out in the countryside like that they might ony have a few basic or local stations. Even if he was paying attention it's easy to not really notice a popular song on the radio from 3 years ago as anything but a popular song on the radio.

Reminder that Shinkai thinks KnK is far superior to his entire filmography. He's absolutely correct.

Shinkai just wants to fuck Yamada's near middle-aged cunny

I don't know about hick towns in Japan but I live in a hick town in America and even we get pretty modern technology while listening to the latest top 40 hits

Do it Shinkai. Her biological clock is ticking.

If anything, it's stranger than Mitsuha didn't notice that Taki's iPhone was a model not yet out in her own time, but by the same token, she's not shown to be technology- or fashion-minded and might have just thought things in the big city were naturally more advanced.

23 days till the blue ray dub gets released.

she's 32 according to wikipedia, hardly middle-aged

Stop saying Shinkai doesn't consider Your Name good, what he said is that due to its humongous success, it will be difficult for his future movies to top that even if he'll personally think they're better.

>also the MC just happened to forget about a giant fucking meteor hitting a small japanese town
That obviously wasn't his fucking fault did you guys even watch the damn movie? You missed all the times when he involuntary forgot shit? WHen the text messages disappeared before his eyes and he forgot?

>You generally forget your dreams altogether like three seconds after waking up.
You do. Most people don't. Or, well some people don't.

>Caring about literally who

I have an easier time remembering stuff dipending on the dream, and it gets easier if I happen to have the same or similar dream more than once like the characters "did".

>The slightly regressed technology
Even setting aside the fact that Taki was in a hick town where all the tech is by default greatly repressed and Mitsuha was in Tokyo where everything is brand new to her, you wouldn't notice a 3 year difference in tech regardless unless youre specifically looking for phone model numbers.

YN did a great job of showing both a femme side and masculine side to each Taki and Mitsu's voices, so well done to that.

Knk had the voice actress of Shouko pull off a mute-sounding way of speaking very earnestly which is impressive.

>dub

>32
Good god alive she's already a old hag.

Mitsuha is Very Cute.

Yeah, but even if you were listening to the radio intently, you really wouldn't be able to pick up on "Huh, where is that new Justin Bieber song that is always on the radio.", and if you did notice then it would be easy to blame on the radio station just being a bit out of date rather than going "Man, it feels like I'm in 201X again!"

Especially popular songs have a pretty long radio-life, so it's not like you'd hear songs and go "Psh, THIS song again? What is this 201X?"

One thing I delight in is that Mitsuha is going to get mating pressed by Taki soon after the end.

>this thread
I really don't know why I come here anymore. I am so much better than 99% of people on this site.

>Good god alive she's already a old hag.

Be nice!

Is Mitsuha (Taki) the greatest girl in the history of anime?

You're right.

I'm planning to buy the English release for the Earthbound LN when it comes out. Granted I also bought the movie LN and there were some bothering TL quality issues, but I still do want to read Earthbound moreso. Anyone else doing the same.

I recommend the Earthbound.
especially Yotsuha Episode.

GO-HA-N

>resolve plothole
>suddenly the emotional buildup that pervades the entire movie is now meaningless
wtf I hate Your Name now

J.J. Abrams is going to have fun with this

>This site

Congratz

>musubi runs in the family
>yotsuha will experience it too

Since when does Mitsuha have such big Mitsuhas

This probably sounds like a weird connection, but Your Name reminded me a ton of the Digimon movie (tonally).

I agree with the montage. While I'm not sure what a better option would have been (jumping weeks/months in time), having most of that time be crammed into a brief musical number felt more like a push to sell albums than a meaningful look at the characters.