Netflix working on 30 original anime series, 80 movies

>Netflix working on 30 original anime series, 80 movies

polygon.com/2017/10/16/16486304/netflix-anime-original-films

Do you welcome our new Netflix controlled anime industry?

Not anime

Not anime.

their definition of anime is just anything animated

Anime is anime.

Not anime, and most all of what Netflix produces is trash anyways. They're really fond of wasting their money I guess.

Anime is anything animated created in Japan for Japanese audiences.

This sounds like ... not anime

>polygon

Their definition of "original" means anything they bought exclusive licensing rights to. Kakegurui was "exclusive" according to Netflix.

What this means is we have to rely on fansubs for more shows.

How profitable is Netflix anyway? Don't most tech startups like this hemorrhage money trying to attract users?

Well, at least they won't make any moe garbage

Most of my normie friends seem to have a subscription.

anime ja nai

yeah, they are making moe gems

Do they mean "working" working as in actually animating them or just slapping their name as a "Netflix production" like they did with Sidonia and other shit?

Unless they move to weekly releases that's 30 anime that will be pirated.

>crunchyroll kills fansubs due to convince of everything being in one platform
>hulu, amazon, netflix and crunchyroll divide series
>the third age of pirating is upon us

Fuck off normie

Hey, some stuff "made for Netflix" is still aired on TV in Japan and made by Japanese people before it actually gets released on Netflix.
See Little Witch Academia. It was aired on Tokyo MX before it got put on Netflix. It's not really "original anime".
But if we're talking about stuff like that Neo Yokio shit, no. That's produced and written in America for Americans, it's just animated in Japan. Same goes for Voltron.

>$20 Billion In Debts
Pretty much only held together by investors because of the brand and a disclosure agreement with Disney.
Any day now.

How do they do it? Are they hoping more people will subscribe for shit like a live action Death Note? I figured that would be a movie for current subscribers to kill time/have a laugh.

I gave up on the future of this industry a few months ago. Enjoy your diverse, "ironic weeb xD" Twitter meme shows, morons!

As in they are paying for the production like Devilman Crybaby and those 7 other shows they mentioned on stage months ago

it's been like that for years already though

>Western producers
>Western production companies
>Western animators
>Western voice actors
>Western distributors
>Only Japanese involvement is "consulting"

Anime in the next 10-20 years will become like the music industry, where there are really popular ones that get spoonfed to the masses, but the people who are actually really into it generally dislike them and go for more 'underground' stuff
It's really fortunate that it's divided from Hollywood by a nation and a language otherwise it might be absorbed much faster than it is

get ready for
>no fanservice
>no lolis
>no harems
>no quintessentially Japanese hijinks
>muh western ideals
It's the beginning of the end lads.

What do actual Japanese otaku think about this kind of thing? Surely they must have some opinion on how popular their obsession has become with the mainstream American audience?

Japan won't stop making anime for its people no matter how big the american market becomes.

I don't believe you, and will need proof to even consider it.

I don't play videogames but I know it's a dead hobby for the western fans. Japan still has ecchi games and stuff that would trigger normalfags even though they have a market overseas.

They'll never care about it because it's western shit made for western audiences. You might as well ask how they feel about Family Guy encroaching on their market.

Have you even look at the line up they are producing and have licensed?

>Netflix
>polygon
Fuck off, shill

Forgot to add: hundreds of newfags spamming shit threads about their shit gaijin productions.

they like RWBY and South Park

Don't you link Polygon without an archive again.

This shit is not, and never will be, anime.

If Netflix was simply funding Japanese studios who did all the work then it would be different.

They had an operating income of $380M last year, as well as equity of $2.7B. They're doing pretty well.

Hungarian billionaire George Soros is funding Netflix as social engineering for normies.

That's kind of a weird statement. Obviously there's millions of westerners who care about "eastern shit made for eastern audiences" so surely there should be some Japanese fans of western stuff?

Granted, most westaboos tend to focus their fandom on American live action films/fashion/pop music, being attracted to the more "adult" image projected by western culture as compared to Japan, and therefore not as interested in "kid stuff" like western animation. That's my impression anyway.

I wonder how Sup Forums will feel when all that shit gets redirected over there.

lmao 30 more Toblerone Shows?

Fucking hell I think im gonna finish Supernatural and then unsub from netflix

too big to fail. they are tens of billions in debt from funding any show or movie they can get their hands on and they are still growing. might hurt them bad in the future though since every "netflix original" is pure garbage.

Little Witch Academia was a "Netflix original" show you damn stupid kneejerk reactionary fucks.
When they say "netflix original" they don't only mean shit like neo yokio dumbasses.

Netflix is better than Crunchyroll. Proof: They have Violet Evergarden, while Crunchyroll doesn't.
And now all the crunshills who tend to hype up KyoAni will have to worship the very ground that Netflix trots upon.

You think so? Obviously all the stuff that Netflix is making is shit, but what Netflix does doesn't necessarily reflect the trends of Japanese studios, so where's your evidence that Japanese studios are going to significantly alter the quality of their output?

Some people would probably say that the situation is already as you describe, deriding "seasonal moe shit" and claiming that most quality anime was made before 2000. But personally I still find tons of enjoyable shows coming out every season, and I hope things stay that way.

You mean they'll just use fansubs because Netflix is basically encouraging piracy.

Yeah, and LWA TV was such quality, huh?

>streaming

>Little Witch Academia was a "Netflix original" show you damn stupid kneejerk reactionary fucks.
Wow, an American-pandering show with little to no Japanese influence or common anime tropes was a Netflix original? You sure showed us!

Netflix borrows a shit ton of money and also about to get gangbanged by the old school players like Disney.

We're about to be fragmented again.

Hey I never said I liked it but I didn't see any other people bitching about it while it was airing and calling it not anime.

Netflix grabbing Violet Evergarden just means the show's dead in the water unless decent fansubs (read: not commie) come along.

Not anime

NottoDissuMeemuAgin.jpg

You guys aren't worried about the chinese. They just made their first decent show by giving the japanese all their money.
The chinese actually care about intruding into the industry, Netflix just wants to parasite off the weebs.

Netflix had literally nothing to do with the show whatsoever, except the fact that they aired it. Calling it a "Netflix original" just seems like a lie on their part.

Chinks don't try to take over it and impose their political ideologies on to Chinese cartoons

Isn't Netflix good for studios, since they totally foot the bill? I remember someone at PA Works saying that it didn't matter to the studio if Kuromukuro BDs sold well or not, since Netflix had them covered. Unless I just dreamed that or something.

Netflix original just means that they have exclusive streaming rights for it.

niggers arent anime

That's the power of having money user. When you have money you can do and say what you want.

or own it outright but they dont own any animes except maybe Devilman: Crybaby

>Isn't Netflix good for studios
Who cares? Studios are the enemy. They being exclusively reliant on otaku dollars is the best possible situation.

4 years, actually. I remember it picking that self-hate train picking up around 2012

scratch that its aniplex

>If Netflix was simply funding Japanese studios who did all the work then it would be different.
That's what they've been mostly doing so far. Hopefully it stays that way.

Based netflix saving anime

>Studios are the enemy
But user, think of the all the poor, overworked moe producers and animators just barely scraping by.

It's okay it's just a blackaboo.
>Kuromukuro BDs are not up for sale, because Netflix. PA Works also likely not care much about change in bussiness model since Netflix paid for production, as well the Toyama preffecture for tourist advertisement.

From an old Sup Forums thread
Netflix is redeemed.

Chinks actually want to make their own anime and are having chink animators learning and stealing knowledge from nip animators. After all, the chink market is worth billions of dollars, simply because of the huge size of its population.
All those hundreds of millions of teenage chinks who hunger for teenage cartoon shit that exclusively panders to them.

For now, the nip producers have to walk carefully. Not working with the chinks means losing out on millions upon millions of dollars. But working too closely together with chinks means that they'll be that much faster in their goal of setting up their own anime industry to cater to their own needs.
And perhaps worst of all, they might even then export tons of anime that will actually pander to westerners as well, jeopardizing the whole Cool Japan Initiative.

Sounds great. I can't wait for season 1 of Model Student Tyrone-kun, about an upstanding young black man goin' to church and goin' to school and gettin' his life together while dealing with the negative consequences of structural racism.

You forgot the part where he meets his white, conservative girlfriend and defeats her stuffy dad in a rap battle.

You guys meme about this but I wouldn't mind a Fresh Prince of bel air anime
No jaden smith though

>chink animators learning and stealing knowledge from nip animators
This is already happening a lot in the anime industry. Young Chinese animators have been working with really good studios/animators and some of them have already honed their skills to be among the better animators on the various projects they work on. It won't be long before they gain enough work experience and go back to China to train a new generation.

>>You guys meme about this but I wouldn't mind a Fresh Prince of bel air anime
I know, it would be totally weebtastical! I'll post this idea on Twitter so everyone else can ask Netflix for it!

Ok kiddo

It's still shitposting, even if you're being ironic.

>Wow, an American-pandering show with little to no Japanese influence or common anime tropes
user are you a fucking moron? Watch more anime if you seriously think LWA had no "japanese influence or common anime tropes". In fact, watch more media in general since you apparently lack the perspective to tell when something is japanese-made.

user 2012 was 5 years ago

>Watch more anime if you seriously think LWA had no "japanese influence or common anime tropes".
Well please, go ahead and list them.

And asking for a Fresh Prince anime isn't?

>nip producers have to walk carefully
They don't at all. Animegatari is the first chinese funded show I've seen this season that actually nails the troupes well. They've got good people over at JY animation, the studio doing it, but what they are doing can't exactly be called anime, it's more like a fan's interpretation of what anime is like.
We can't stop the chinese from doing this, but if you really think they're going to churn out something decent that is actually original I doubt it. The best they'll do is imitate South Korean webtoons, which is such a different form of entertainment that you can't even call it animation anymore. More like smartphone manga than anything else.
And then they eventually have to make stuff that they like and be creative. They can't do anime, they can imitate anime but they'll soon understand that as an artist the way you get better is developing your own discipline and troupes. It won't be something we'll understand.

I'll forgive anything if we get a faithful anime adaptation of ASOIAF.

Well the show is in Japanese, for one.

Soon we'll have twitter threads, and be just like Sup Forums. And by soon, I mean we already do

That's not really a trope.

is it somehow not a cultural influence?

It's just the language the show is in. I meant storytelling tropes.

>watching Sup Forums turn into Sup Forums more and more every day

Give the continental slanteyes some time. They'll crush the moonrune slanteyes soon enough.
We will soon all worship chinkshit instead of nipshit.
And we'll never be able to recognize the difference, because it's the same kind of shit anyway.

That reminds me, did that Jaden Smith anime "sell well"?

>ura-on and that file name
sup /jp/

user, nobody is going to sit here and start listing and providing examples of every "trope" they can find in LWA for you. If you seriously can't think of even one thing in LWA that you've seen in an anime before, then you need to get off of Sup Forums and not come back until you've seen way more shows.

It follows a pretty standard shounen story blueprint. Hero gets by mainly on the willpower to be the greatest and also some special inborn traits (in Akko's case, the shiny rod) and ends up defeating the big bad because of it.

>We will soon all worship chinkshit instead of nipshit.
Never. I already have too much time invested into learning Japanese. Also Japan is a first world country while China is a third world totalitarian shithole, so naturally I want to support Japan more. Can't fix that through cartoons alone.

Don't stop.

That's hardly a Japanese anime trope, though. You could find plenty of examples of that kind of thing on Cartoon Network or whatever.