Do you like mecha? What's your favorite mecha anime?

Do you like mecha? What's your favorite mecha anime?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/Vizs0WQh_qA?t=50s
youtu.be/C4ytNL8AUmw?t=6m39s
youtu.be/dI-nHps5lXU
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

by far my favorite

Muv Luv but only because of the TSFs

Gundam 00

code geass

pic related, some mechs looks like from FM3, and i like FM3

I've never understood the appeal. I watched Gundam Wing as a kid and built some of the models but I just dropped the genre after that.

I've tried watching other Gundam stuff and Code Geass since then but I dropped them after only a few episodes. It seems to me that mecha, and its fans, are entirely distinct from the rest of the medium and its fans.

Mechafags, what do you like and why?

It's interesting how Toei and Sunrise made hundreds of mecha tv series and all of them combined aren't half as good as the two Gainax made.

One of my favs are pic.

Currently watching Fafner in the Blue. The mythological stuff is really goofy, but I'm digging the Festum. A lot of scenes feel empty, too.

So many faggots on /m/ watch Bleach and other shounenshit. Embarrassing taste.

I'm more annoyed that you think Gainax only made two robot shows, than I am at the rest of your statement.

I only go to /m/ for these guys

You're not fooling anyone.

Gurren Lagann

Only mech show I have ever watched and it was good enough not to watch any other ever again

I've watched every mecha anime.

King J-Der!

The Gundam IBO has been a fairly good for me

I'm not exactly the most /m/ of /m/en (as I grew up watching both Power Rangers and Sailor Moon while reading Knights of the Round Table), but mecha appeal to me mostly because they're robots, have that armored knightly appearance and usually fight in space.

Let's see you name 3 gainax macha tv series.

Nope, not really. I keep meaning to try Patlabor though, that sounds like something I might like.

This unironically

Macross Plus

All of them.

I'm fine with mecha, but I think the giant humanoid robot kind are stupid especially in military setting.

Gurren Lagann isn't even that good

>Do you like mecha?
Yes
>What's your favorite mecha anime?
Patlabor

Neither is mecha in general

Kill yourself TDSA.

I think giant robot are cool.

I like how they look, how they move and how they work. I like pilots, I like the grunts, I like cheesy heroics and the unnecessary, distinctly Japanese screaming. I even like the explosive bouts of good natures machismo. Even if a giant robot is about as realistic as a punk teenager becoming a ghost cop, I find them fascinating and fun.

I liked TTGL
But I am pretty sure anyone who is actually into mecha sees that as incredibly entry level or not even real mecha.

Yes and Genesis of Aquarion

I know basically nothing about mecha and hated TTGL. Should I try "proper" mech shows?

How should I know? I know /m/ doesn't like TTGL but I don't know if that means not liking it means you like proper mecha.

>tfw no power rangers animu
for what purpose. LightSpeed Rescue (the best season) has qt semen demon waifu, that'll make some dosh.
also flying train megazord. shits the most expensive toy ive ever seen

1. Armored Trooper VOTOMS

2. Genesis Climber MOSPEADA

3. Mobile Suit Gundam

Try the original Gundam or VOTOMS.

Found Schwarz

Is this why /m/ hates Gurren Lagann? Because if so I fully understand.

Partly. They also consider a rip-off, and not a love letter, of classic super robot shows.

I can understand how it could go both ways. Then again TTGL isn't that great to begin with, so it's not like it's a debate worth having.

Maybe you wouldn't like other Super Robot shows, but you might enjoy Real Robot shows

new robot boxing anime or manga when
youtu.be/Vizs0WQh_qA?t=50s

More like TTGL was a ripoff of Xabungle and Dendoh with elements of Dancouga and Getter Robo, because it was Gainax western fans fap to it, and supposed fans do not get the roots of why TTGL is what it is nor do they even bother. Even ANN never points out what mecha shows get referenced and just assume it's a giant genre homage despite Japan not even caring about it. It's not just /m/ either, mecha fans in Japan stopped caring about it after a while.

To be completely fair, I've never seen an Imaishi anime that wasn't an horrendous pastiche of stolen or borrowed ideas. I understand /m/'s disgruntlement, it's just that this is simply how Imaishi and his henchmen roll.

Imagine liking a niche genre and then a new show joins the group. It's slightly different than what you are used to and all casuals love. But it also turns out that it's vastly superior narrative-wise, character-wise, thematically and visually than similar shows you've been special enough to be able to appreciate this whole time. It puts in perspective how weak the shows you loved were all along. So you cope with cognitive dissonance by hating it and calling it a rip off.

Considering how plain and mediocre TTGL was, if this is true, it says a lot more about mecha anime than it says about TTGL.

Gao Fucking Gaigar!

Thankfully, it's wrong.

I occasionally watch mecha shows. I'm currently watching Gundam X for the first time and I'm enjoying it so far. My all time favorite is probably the original Votoms TV series.

>. But it also turns out that it's vastly superior narrative-wise, character-wise, thematically and visually than similar shows you've been special enough to be able to appreciate this whole time.
Now I DEFINITELY get why /m/ hates TTGL fags

youtu.be/C4ytNL8AUmw?t=6m39s

>163588357
You like to run away from truth I see. /m/ must also not value Eva highly then.

That's just a simple fact. Plenty of argumentative essays backing it up.

ZOIDS

True patricians only.

Jesus fuck you've got to be the poster boy of the TTGL fanboys

>Plenty of argumentative essays
I bet they're all published in reputable peer-reviewed journals and magazines

>No
>None
Because mecha is for autists and stupid little children. Even when I was kid I still couldn't understand how people can like those robots, they are waste of material.
If you need a tank you build a tank, not a fucking robot. If you need a plane you build a plane. If it is supposed to be a spaceship you build actual spaceship with armor and not unnecessary humanlike robots with unnecessary weak spots.
And what the hell do they need power swords for? We live in modern age, we use cannons and shit.
Mecha will always lose vs their nonmecha counterpart, just because instead of one mecha you could build 10 tanks with far less weak spots.

>King J-Der song is now playing in your head

Recently watched gunbuster I thought It was fun, the last episode is a work of art

mecha (or rather science fiction) is the heart of anime along with cute girls

Hope you don't like cartoons about super powered teenagers beating down stupid adults (who just don't understand amIrite), Anonymous.

gundam wing

>*Teleports behind Earth*
>*Unsheathes asteroids of justice*
Pssh...nothin personal, feddie

Zegapain is really good and all anons should watch it.

>mecha is for autists and stupid little children
Just like all anime then. Good thing we're all autistic little girls here.

I couldn't choose just one show. Each has its quirks and ups and downs.

Favorites: ZOIDS, Gundam Wing and 00, Macross (mainly SDF, 7, and Frontier), TTGL, GaoGaiGar, Gunbuster.

More recently, ID-0 was a fun ride too.

My favorite anime is mecha.

My top 3 favorites are all mecha. Gaogaigar, Gunparade March, and Gunbuster.

Mainly because they are toy commercials. What I mean by this is that because the selling point of mecha shows are the toys - this means that the creators are often given license to go nuts with the story, explore strange territory and fuse a bunch of elements together. It is exactly because it is the toys that sell that we have gotten so much creativity in the genre - because whether or not the show is actually well received, you can fund a weird ass mecha show that breaks lots of boundaries so as long as the mecha are appealing as toys. If you can sell the toys, you have license to do anything you want.

This is why Gundam was so revolutionary - Tomino moved the Mecha genre into new territory, and did many things that were jarring to the audience plot and story wise. Quite frankly, people did'nt like it - and yet the show would go on to define the decade that came after it. It managed this revolution because the toys sold, and it let it become a big enough phenomena that people learned to dig into these strange ideas and become influenced by them.

Think about Macross in 1982 - the story is about an ancient alien race that developed two separate races that rediscover each other in war. The story is about the more warlike aliens slowly learning about human culture and their culture shock, to the point where they freak the fuck out at men and women kissing and living together, and get entranced enough to be sitting ducks due to a pop song. A teenaged romance takes up almost as much screen time as the mecha action and plot, and an Idol story is a major sub plot. It's a weird and inventive idea, especially for 1982 - but it sold because you had cool mecha that made for good toys that were made appealing on screen. You hook youngsters who don't give a shit about conventions anyways with the toys and you influence them towards even more creative and outlandish ideas when they grow up and become creators themselves.

I have too many favorites to list.

Probably between GaoGaiGar, Shin Mazinger and Dai-Guard.

I can't wait for Shin Great Mazinger. It's definitely happening. Right guys?

Gunbuster I guess but I only like mecha really because of armored core

Do you mean my favorite Mecha series or my favorite Mobile Suit.

Cause Mobile Suit Gundam, and the Dom Tropen, respectively

Nanoha.

I love the designs of mecha but find 99% of action scenes in mecha shows boring and forgettable, so i honestly just watch them for the setting/story/characters.

I'm a simple man if mc get in fights and beat everyone and their dog into bloody mess then jump into giant robot to fight dinosaurs in mechs with huge dose of rip and tear that's enough to win me over.

Ramune. It's the best mecha ever made.
youtu.be/dI-nHps5lXU

Also it pains me that you abandoned the genre from just watching Wing and Geass - neither are well regarded titles by people into the genre.You ought to at least give these a try

Mazinger Z ( Or Mazinkaiser if you want something shorter that looks nicer)
Getter Robo ( Or Getter Robo Armageddon)
Gundam 0079 ( Or Gundam 0080 if you want something shorter that looks nicer)
SDF Macross ( Or Macross Plus if you want something shorter that looks nicer
Patlabor ( either start with first OVA or the TV series, the two movies follow the first OVA, and the 2nd OVA follows the tv series)
Aura Battler Dunbine
Armored Trooper Votoms
Megazone 23
Fight!! Iczer 1
Bubblegum Crisis
Gall Force
Gunbuster
Gasaraki
GaoGaiGar
Round Vernier Vifam
Giant Robo

Since a lot of people have mentioned it, what do mecha fans think of Gunbuster? The elements lifted from Ace Wo Nerae were obviously clumsy, since in a war setting it makes the coach seem very unfit to serve. But once the last three episodes kicked in, it was a nice blend of scifi and hot blooded action, I thought.

>Because anime is for autists and stupid little children
ftfy

Yes and G no Reconguista

This looks pretty nuts. I like how it is equally moe and hot blooded at the same time. I may have to pick this up when I'm done with Tekkaman Blade for my current 90s show.

Gunbuster is the best thing that Gainax have ever made.

eva fags BTFO

I fucking hate mecha.

More specifically, I hate all the mecha that pretend to be even 1% realistic.

I can get behind the "screaming volume equals power" kind of mecha. It´s just a cool way of translating the character´s willpower into actual power. Not much different than any poorly written shounen, but at least mecha pilots make allies for something other than "being nice" and have goals other than "I want to be the stronkest!" and the vast majority don´t have harems. They are still power fantasies, but they don´t rely on self-insertion and most MCs have distinct designs or live in worlds other than motherfucking HIGH SCHOOLS.

And I can get behind the mecha that run on fuel and ammo, like most of those in Muv-Luv.

It infuriates me, however, when a mecha show is all about arms races. Like, Gundam´s One Year War is pretty cool, I guess, until all those zany prototypes start showing up. I began watching Thunderbolt, and by episode five or six I was absolutely disgusted at all the bullshit I had to swallow.

Code Geass had this in spades as well, but at least the mecha were pretty irrelevant most of the time. Even when things hinged on mecha battles, it was more of a "characters fighting characters", instead of "MC is so fucking special!" And at least they made it interesting through Kallen and Suzaku´s rivalry.

I loved all of it - obviously many parts are to be taken tongue in cheek, but I happen to like stuff that is one part serious and one part goofy fun, and I think that Gunbuster mixes the two together well. It is cool that it shifts from parody to full hot blooded sci fi so seamlessly.

What about anime in general that pretend to be even 1% realistic?

QUICK CLAIM YOUR MECHAFU

A Y A T O

G
O
O
D
B
Y
E

To be honest it's a parody of RPG videogames, mecha and a lot of other things. Looks a bit like Mahoujin Guruguru, but more crazy and mecha. It has a lot of moe moments and hot fights, though. And I hope you are ready for the of any subs.

Same really.

I could never get past how stupid mecha is. It's toy robots pretending to be real weapons.

Claimed

If you look at the last decade even tank anime did better than normal mecha. It's all about cute girls, mecha musume and isekai these days.

On /m/ it's generally seen as a classic but it gets a lot of shit for sort of being a magnet for newfags and ~ironic weebs~

Ahem

Go fast or go home.

Remember when good cute girl tank anime existed

Conversely I don't understand why general anime fans, particularly new ones, automatically seem to hate it after watching one mediocre entry, or even before then.

Anyway, my favourite is Patlabor overall, but there are very few mecha series I've seen that I didn't like.

GuP and Dominion are both great though.

GuP is shit when it's about the main 5 girls instead of the other countries' girls.