Is this the most overrated anime ever made?

Is this the most overrated anime ever made?

Yes.

No

/thread

I like it and don't get all the hate,It's flawed as fuck except the last two episodes those are trash..and oh yeah it's fans are pure cancer

Overrated doesn't mean bad. It means overrated.

NGE was really good, but in a way it stained the anime industry in a way. Like Asuka creating the violent tsundere, it took Makise Kurisu to finally have a good one.

I actually like the last two episodes
it shows what's going on Shinji's head

I thought it would be continuously plot driven, but it goes full monster of the week for a lot of episodes in the middle.

That would be SAO

Those made me hate Evangelion and Rei.

i actually just finished it early today. its alright, certainly a solid 8-8.5/10, but i didn't see some best anime of all time quality to it. a LOT of interesting elements to the show with using endless exposition to explain them, and the pacing was pretty damn good too.

ultimately i thought shinji was a shit character though, and really could no longer sympathize with him after a certain point. by the time the final two episodes rolled around i couldn't wait for the show to be over since those episodes were ALL shinji

It's not overrated at all

It created tropes I don't like. Overrated yes, but the most overrated anime by western reactions is Cowboy Bebop.

only the most casual of casuals praise SAO. even someone who has seen a tiny bit more than that thinks SAO is shite

Don't worry, Shinji gets a lot better in EoE.

Not really

i'll take your word for it, but i'm pretty burn out on evangelion at this point. the ending alternated between some really cool shit and boring as fuck introspection. need a break desu

I just finished it and it's a soild 5/10

It's hyped by anime viewers I think. I've never watched it because I don't trust stuff that's ultra popular.

>Asuka creating the violent tsundere
Watch more anime dumbass. Tsundere characters were already a thing in the 1980s. Actually, read more stuff and watch more films in general. On second thought
>Makise Kurisu
Go back to plebbit.

It's not overrated because a bunch of contrarian goobers make a point of pretending it's trash, bringing the average rating of the series down.

Kurisu is the best tsundere, there isn't a better one. Protip: you can't
>plebbit response
not an argument my friend

>Kurisu is the best tsundere, there isn't a better one. Protip: you can't
You missed a line, but Casca

I don't need an argument. You're one of those morons who thinks Evangelion invented the tsundere archetype. Kindly fuck off.

It's definitely up there

It's the most overrated anime by "the critics" and people that don't really watch much anime, who think it single-handedly invented every quality of every anime that came after. It's roughly appropriately rated by anime fans; ambitious show with some genuinely interesting ideas, but also flawed and frequently gets its head stuck up its own ass.

>I don't need an argument
Yes, because shitposting before trying to disprove my point.

>You're one of those morons who thinks Evangelion invented the tsundere archetype.

Don't make me laugh, you people are always trying to prove that Asuka didn't hate Shinji and that she liked him. You folks are always saying Asuka created tsundere for the mainstream.

>Kindly fuck off
Being this assblasted because you know I am right.

Casca isn't attractive.

No, that honor belongs to Death Note

Also, Casca was raped by Griffith, so that immedialy disqualifies her as being the best "tsundere".

I'm not outright disagreeing with you, but when exactly does the show get stuck up its own ass?

Evangelion's problem is that it has fantastic characters trapped in a poorly crafted story. The writing in the series is very haphazard, and there are a lot of huge plot holes in the series. Example: how come Unit 01 has an S2 engine when the experiments to install one in other Eva units had failed. This is actually a double inconsistency as only moments later in the same episode, Unit 01 consumes the angel to absorb its S2 engine, which makes no sense since it already has an S2 engine.
There are also plenty of more minor mistakes, like Shinji's plugsuit being inside Unit 01 in episode 20 after he was absorbed into it even though he was clearly wearing plain clothes the episode prior to that because he had no time to change.
Then there is the plethora of retcons and ass-pulls within the series. Then there are the annoying "we have a 0.manyzeroes1%" chance of success" cheap lines in an attempt to build up tension that Misato or Ritsuko are so fond of and other similar such minor details that add-up over the series.

But don't point this out to Evangelion fans, especially the evageeks variety. These faggots have fanwanked the show to such a degree you cannot help but be impressed by their tenacity.

Who's "you folks" you retard? I clearly pointed out that contrary to what you believe, Evangelion did not invent tsundere, for "the mainstream" or otherwise. Anime-style tsundere were popularised by Rumiko Takahashi, starting with Urusei Yatsura.

Fuck off already. You're a clueless twit.

Why would anyone care if something is overrated? The only thing that should matter is if you liked it.

You folks that keep up with the waifu war and say how tsundere Asuka is and how she invented the tsundere archetype. I've seen plenty of anons in Evangelion threads that have largely suggested as such. Particularly LAS shippers and most Asukafags here.

>Fuck off already. You're a clueless twit.
No its the other way around, you don't visit Eva threads so you have no idea what I am referring to

I know all about that. They're morons, just like you. Evangelion is mainstream and it gets plenty of cancerous fags who think it invented every anime cliche in existence.

>plebian located

Did you even read what started that reply chain you imbecile? If you're not this cretin than we don't disagree. If you're him, you're clearly contradicting yourself now trying to brush off the fact that you were proven wrong.

Either way, you're cancer.

Because it's really well known, most people don't have an opinion on it that isn't tainted by it's reputation somehow, whether it's contrarians who say it's without merit or casuals claiming it's the best thing ever. Most Eva threads are just the same talking points over and over too.

Personally, I think every aspect of the show is at least good, if not great. The soundtrack is distinctive and has many standout tracks, the characters are well written and their seiyuus give off strong performances, and the scene composition is great. Sadamoto is one of my favourite character designers, too.

For its time?
Not too.
It was without a doubt the best thing I'd seen when I first watched, and for a few years after.

I never made it past the first few episodes of the sequel shit.

I recognize it's many flaws and weaknesses today through experience.
But when it was fresh, those didn't exist to me.

Not much holds up 100% over time.
Often when I reward my favorite things from childhood I can't see them the same way.

>denying Asuka created the violent tsundere archetype trend in romcom anime
Seriously? What do you think inspired Kirino, Taiga and Louise? There was a point were we've been getting a slew of worst girls in romcoms. Gainax even had spinoff manga and visual novels that even played out Asuka the violent tsundere.

Watch more anime faggot.

I want to point out that the original Lilith accused Adam that he couldn't handle her or satisfy her and rebelled against him. There was also banter involved, and something about Adam not acting like a real man. Also, she went to a beach by the red sea when she wanted to be alone, and fought off three angels by herself.
So that type of girl is literally older than the Bible. Anno simply gave her a name and some new outfits.

You have basically just read chapters 1-26 of a 27 chapter book. And chapter 27 is by far the best bit.

Nonsense. End of Evangelion is retcon of the last two episodes. Stop spreading this bullshit myth that it is indispensable to the series. Even the staff have said that it happens in an alternate timeline.

> something something timelines something
NGE + EoE work as a complete package. And EoE is the best bit.

>Do people say that NGE is a masterpiece?
No, most do not.

>Do most people agree that NGE is pretty fucking great?
Yes.

>Is NGE pretty fucking great?
Yes.

There you go, NGE is not overrated. If you want overrated then go look at SEL, Haibane Renmei, or Ergo Proxy.

>All these fucking pseuds who clearly loved it pretending to be better than it by saying it has flaws

Babies first "critique", try being an apologist once in awhile and you might learn to love something for once in your miserable life.

Almost

yes. and asuka is #1 overrated waifu

go give a blowjob to ano. His cum might fill you with his "artistic and intelecual" ideas faggot

Maybe /eva/ is just tsundere towards the show?

Not when Steins Gate, Cowbow Bebop, SEL, One Piece, Dragonball, Madoka exist.

Yes. Fuck. It's not even bad, it's actually really good, just still incredibly overrated.

For a minuscule group of spergs it is, by a wide margin. For the general anime fandom it isn't.

>Haibane Renmei, or Ergo Proxy.
Both of these are better than Evangelion.

Address this you pseud:

That remark was made after the fact. The last two episodes were low-quality garbage after they ran out of funding. EoE was the "intended" ending after they had money again. They later said "both are equally valid, enjoy them both!!" to avoid taking sides in a fanbase, as creators tend to do. You can't just take one modern comment as fact without context or history.

> EoE was the "intended" ending
This is nothing but a fandom legend peddled around by western fans.
>They later said "both are equally valid, enjoy them both!!"
Wrong. There are interviews with Anno in Japanese before EoE was released saying the series ended as he intended and that the only production issues were with episode 25.

you're thinking of Love Hina

EoE wasn't the 'originally intended' ending but neither was the TV eps 25 and 26. The show went through so many production nightmares that nobody knows what they really wanted to do with the series.
But the simple fact is that as it stands, EoE IS the final ending made for the series, and that's never been disputed.

I'm not the same user, but just a stranger. However:
It is all consistent, down to the details. All the inconsistencies are explained between the lines or by using visuals, sound and body language. The alleged retcons and asspulls are all foreshadowed several times. Some of them in the OP and the first two episodes.
Misato and Ritsuko are some of the best written female characters in anime. Sounds like you had a foregone conclusion and ignored what you saw or heard because it all already confirmed your suspicion.

>last two episodes are trash

pleb detected. Back to your DBS general

Contrarian
>A person who disagrees with the mainstream or accepted view because he believes it makes him look good and feeds his ego, not because his argument is well thought-out or rational.

You did not address a single issue raised in that post. I gave specific examples. Saying "Evangelion has no flaws" in so many words is not saying anything.

Ad hominem.

Evangelion has no flaws. There I said it.

>Argument from fallacy is the formal fallacy of analyzing an argument and inferring that, since it contains a fallacy, its conclusion must be false

And that wasn't even an ad hominem. The whole argument was about taste, so talking about it was relevant to the discussion.

There is no need to repeat yourself. Your retardation was obvious from the get-go.

People often ask me if I'm stupid so there's that.

These threads are always pointless because no one is ever able to actually come up with a decent argument as to WHY it's bad.

It's always things like "lol the Christian symbolism doesn't mean anything" or "lol Shinji runs away a lot." And although the first one is a genuine complaint (if overstated) fun fact about Shinji: he never actually runs away from a combat scenario. There's the first couple of episodes where he leaves afterwards because he doesn't want to be a child soldier, and then there's the episode where he doesn't want to work for his presumed prick of a father, but otherwise he never runs away.

Does Evangelion have flaws? Absolutely. Do these threads ever bring them up? No, not really.

I am not a contrarian. On the other hand, seeing as how you're incapable of actually having a discussion of any sort, I am compelled to surmise that you are an imbecile.

No one is saying that Evangelion is bad though.
>Does Evangelion have flaws? Absolutely. Do these threads ever bring them up? No, not really.
Same challenge to you, address this: So far all I'm seeing is empty bluster.

In the most bunt and unilluminating way, explaining to the viewer directly what the themes are supposed to be over and over instead of letting the characters act like people. People who act like seeing the finale as the 'patrician' ending is the natural thing for anyone with taste are delusional.

>overrated
name a more influential anime made in the last 22 years

It's not perfect the the impact it had was literally monumental

Not even close. At least Eva has some characters and a plot. Turdball Z is literally a religion in some countries despite being one of the most repetitive and shallow shows ever created.

This is something that I can actually concede to, for the most part, especially the bit about constantly adding tension with "lol there's a one percent chance".

The finale is only interesting from a meta-narrative perspective, as it is the culmination of the series' story completely falling apart during its last third.

>last third
I'd argue that it fell apart way after 16, which is actually my favorite episode in the show.

Also his presumed prick of a dad gave him the means of survival.
If you had to face danger, real mortal danger without the dance moves and catchy music, would you rather face it in a shelter, or inside the cockpit?

You know damn well that the same thing will happen here that always does in these threads. The Eva fans will swear up and down that it all really makes sense and that everything is actually clear if you paid attention, only to ignore clear ambiguities by acting like they just don't matter somehow. A decent portion of the time, you'll have no idea what what just happened happened, and barely any more understanding of to what extent the characters themselves understand any given thing (which is an absolutely, absolutely massive issue that isn't addressed nearly enough as it should be).

Being simply ambiguous is one thing, but all the things you just don't know pile on top of each other, forcing you to built a massive house of cards of assumptions if you want to understand any given thing. And this is not something that can be ignored. Basic things, like how much Misato actually, accurately knows about operations and what motivates her actions, are left up in the air in a way that makes it hard to properly understand her character, despite otherwise receiving the most development in the series.

But we do know what motivates Misato; that she's attempting to live up to her father and to do good by him. She has daddy issues in a show filled with people with mommy issues.

>all the things you just don't know pile on top of each other, forcing you to built a massive house of cards of assumptions if you want to understand any given thing
Yeah. And another pretty funny thing is how much of the explanations people come up with depend on extraneous material, material which is itself severely starved of details.
He's not talking about her overall stake in all this, but her moment to moment decisions, beyond comical explanations like "feminine intuition" in the more light-hearted episodes. Sure, Misato wants revenge but how is anything that she does actually related to that? "She has daddy issues" is not an explanation of anything. You gloss that from her relationship with Kaji and Shinji, and that's where it is most relevant. But that is not the only thing Misato is involved in, nor the only thing that matters.

You're ignoring everything else to focus on the interpersonal drama of the characters.

>gnoring everything else to focus on the interpersonal drama of the characters
This is the way pretty much every fan who puts Eva on a pedestal deals with its flaws. The fact that everything else that happens is the main driver of the drama between the characters is glossed over in an appeal to empathy.

You're going to have to be more specific when you say "moment to moment decisions". What in particular are you talking about? Her decision when it comes to operations?

>be more specific
For example why does Misato tell Shinji all the details about Second Impact and the Eva project but not Asuka. What does she hope to achieve by doing that.

>The fact that everything else that happens is the main driver of the drama between the characters is glossed over in an appeal to empathy.

Oh god, thank you for expressing something that I've wanted to for so long. This is just a huge thing that I find it bizarre how willing he fanbase is to shove this stuff in a basket of irrelevance when it is convenient, while at the same time holding the position that it's all great, deliberately crafted stuff that shows how deep the writing is when they can ignore all the details.

No, Non Non Biyori is.

It's the best anime ever made.

No, you're favourite anime is.

This is the kind of stuff I'm talking about. It's the things that the characters seem to deliberately withhold, choosing to not act how you'd expect a sane or consistent person would in their situation, given you assume they have particular knowledge and motivations, that tip off this sort of perplexity. When you're confronted with this stuff, you have two options, to either take for granted the the writers had some coherent reason for things being as they are that you don't know yet have to work out somehow, or you assume that things really are just that incoherent and that the characters are just crazy or the writers thoughtless.

You can't claim that Eva has fantastically written characters if you can't sort out this stuff on such a basic level.

>You know damn well that the same thing will happen here that always does in these threads.
>go ahead and do it like you always do

I'm not sure exactly which point in the story you're talking about (it's been a while) but generally it would be a terrible idea to tell Asuka anything and Misato knows this.

>which point in the story you're talking about
End of Evangelion.
>it would be a terrible idea to tell Asuka anything
Why. And how is it any worse than telling Shinji, who takes it awfully.

This.

Or Monster.

FMA:B is the most overrated anime ever.

Because Asuka is an unstable bitch. Shinji will take it inwardly, but there's no way to know what Asuka will do, considering her spotty track record

fight me faggots.

>Asuka is an unstable bitch.
So is Shinji.