HAM Radio - Fun?

Anyone do HAM radio? Is this different from listening to a police scanner?

I've heard it's a fun hobby - can you tell me why exactly it is fun? Can I listen to police chases and learn where murders are occurring? Or perhaps listen in on governmental activities?

Suggest a good starter HAM unit.

Attached: HAM.jpg (1043x677, 260K)

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.com/FT-70DR-Original-Yaesu-Handheld-Transceiver/dp/B06Y2697RX
amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B007H4VT7A/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1520833528&sr=8-3&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65&keywords=baofeng uv-5r&dpPl=1&dpID=41xV3DDhxBL&ref=plSrch
amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B004TB9JUI/ref=mp_s_a_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1520833656&sr=8-2&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65&keywords=yaesu ft-857d amateur radio&dpPl=1&dpID=514f2cyyzOL&ref=plSrch
amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00WOLPO4K/ref=mp_s_a_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1520833913&sr=8-2-spons&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=signalink usb&psc=1
m.youtube.com/watch?v=uPG3YMcSvzo
twitter.com/AnonBabble

thats where were migrating to when they shut down Sup Forums

Then you find out that The fucking boot kicking asshole foxchasers in the HAM community are just a geriatric version of SJWs who dox you for reddit posts...

Need a FCC license and classes too legally use

I'm a ham, it's fucking gay. Bunch of gray niggers complaining about life. Don't waste your time.

I'm with a local club and it's pretty fun to talk to people on the net. Get your general to talk to people overseas

This.

BUT:

Being licensed means you *can* git gud. And when you do that, you can communicate worldwide (or farther) without benefit of the internet and nobody can do much to stop you. Even digital if you want.

When erryfing falls apart, hams will still be able to communicate. Replaces newspapers and mail and the internet all in one tech.

It ain't easy, but what worth doing is?

Low energy, no-imagination path-followers need not apply.

Its fun because you can actually do shit. It's the same reason why people decide to hack computer hardware - jsut to have that power. This is the same. You're hacking analogue waves, radio. If you understand it, you know how to use it. Otherwise, assuming no apocalypse, its completely fucking pointless.

I've got my technicians license. Hang on, I need to find a link to the radio I've got.

amazon.com/FT-70DR-Original-Yaesu-Handheld-Transceiver/dp/B06Y2697RX
>This is the one.

>The fucking boot kicking asshole foxchasers in the HAM community are just a geriatric version of SJWs who dox you for reddit posts...
What?

Is there lefties on HAM radio?

Start with this.

amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B007H4VT7A/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1520833528&sr=8-3&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65&keywords=baofeng uv-5r&dpPl=1&dpID=41xV3DDhxBL&ref=plSrch

Then get your general and get this

amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B004TB9JUI/ref=mp_s_a_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1520833656&sr=8-2&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65&keywords=yaesu ft-857d amateur radio&dpPl=1&dpID=514f2cyyzOL&ref=plSrch

Add this if you wanna do data.
amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00WOLPO4K/ref=mp_s_a_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1520833913&sr=8-2-spons&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=signalink usb&psc=1

Some of them are real bootlicking pricks. If they talk to someone broadcasting without a license, they report them to the authorities.

Dying alone surrounded by radios is epic fun. Ironic they call it ham radio, considering their diet. Maybe you can get a QSL card from a dating website and find someone as bloated and socially isolated as you.

I have a amateur radio license though, it can be amusing in small doses.

>If they talk to someone broadcasting without a license, they report them to the authorities.
Fags.

Well, that ruined my perception of HAM. I thought the whole point was effectively electromagnetic shitposting.

Having a ball...with amateur radio!

Attached: kidsday.jpg (1024x768, 243K)

Sounds like you violated FCC regulations and got triangulated

It's pretty fun, I don't have my license yet but my friend has his and we've talked to a bunch of cool people and got stories from old vets and preppers in the area. Very useful in case of natural disasters in your area to keep tabs on evacuation and looting.
Currently practicing for the test on the Amateur Radio Exam Prep free app

I hate when nerds do this shit. It's like when some faggot gets in control of a forum and starts banning and virtue signalling wildly.

It's pathetic. So many betas have a warped sense of justice which always seems to put them at the top, them as the police, them in authority.

It's cancer.

Fuck these cunts.

And that means identifying your license ID periodically and on request and encryption is banned. Everything non-governmental has to be voice, cleartext or CW. OPSEC has to be real clever.

my dad made me take the HAM license when i was like 12
I've got a technicians license and don't do anything with it. My dad does it casually and really enjoys it.

Amateur radio can be as simple or complicated as you want to go. My dad has built an amp, put up antennas, and modified his rigs throughout the year. If you do those sorts of things, you will invariably learn all the technical stuff that you study for in the examinations. Otherwise, you can set up an emergency response network, or maybe make new friends to play board games with.

There are some containment frequencies, as far as I know.
You can always run a pirate radio station, legally, even

Could you run a numbers station if you used your callsign?

You're asking the wrong person. I've never done much of anything with my license

That rarely ever happens, though. Actually tracking down a broadcast signal requires that they stay online for a good long while. I use an sdr for all kinds of unlicensed tx, from drive thrus to Walmart employees to fm pirate radio to setting off hundreds of car alarms in parking garages, and while I've been threatened a lot I've never had any run-ins with authorities.

I used to listen to cell phones using a UHF scanner, back before they were encrypted. Fun times. I think you can still listen to baby monitors if you live in a close community or apartment building. Of course, that's receive only. Broadcasting to one could be pretty funny.

my uncle used to have the loudest signal in the CA bay area

i remember listening to all the coordless phone conversations in my college dorm on a scanner. Normies live in an entirely different universe to (us)

It's horrible, but hard to turn off.

I was thinking on getting a car one. But later figured out everything I want to do is against the law.

m.youtube.com/watch?v=uPG3YMcSvzo