Yu Yu Hakusho vs Hunter x Hunter

Which series is better?

come on,
the defining problem with yyh is its ending and how are we supposed to compare a weak ending with a [no ending]

Who says you have to have endings to compare shows?

anime is better than the manga for both cases

because they both have huge build ups but in the YYH case we got nearly nothing outta it.

Level E

Hunter x Hunter for me.

I can only speak for the manga though, I have never really seen the anime outside of the 2011 Chimera Arc.

But that may change, not really digging the Kurapika Arc outside of Tserriednich and his spooky beast.

I like the characters in Yu Yu Hakusho way better but HxH is the better series.

Neither of them are very good.

YYH suffers from a ton of asspulls and terrible, unnatural plot progression. Nobody dying when they're supposed to retroactively ruins every genuine emotional moment that the characters have. Kurama is a gary stu, and while he's an entertaining gary stu, it doesn't change the fact that he is one. Kuwabara is just annoying. The story initially starts off with a somewhat unique and interesting premise before quickly devolving into tournament arc hell. The ending is one of the most abrupt messes I've ever seen.

HxH has a good first half until they reach Greed Island, wherein the quality of writing nosedives very quickly. Greed Island has the least intimidating villain ever, and the premise is just straight up predictable and uninteresting. The second Gon and Killua enter Greed Island you know they're going to come out fine. And then there's the Chimera Ant arc which is a drawn out mess. The arc after that retroactively ruins the darker and more meaningful parts of the Chimera Ant arc, similar to how YYH would retroactively render all the previous action of its own arcs meaningless. The current arc sucks and is never going to be finished.

mindless fun > meh deep

I like both, but I prefer YYH because I'm an edgy faggot

HxH
but Togashi should kill him self

This

HxH
But Togashi should not kill himself. With him gone, SJ (and shonen in general) will be entirely dead to me.

its a joke that they're even compared.

YYH has:

- better main character
- better cast
- better fights
- better villains
- it actually ended with no hiatus

The one with an ending.

Well seeing how Quwrof's a continuation of Sensui in a sense and Meruem's not a villain...so far it's up in the air.

the one without O MY DEMON AVATAR

am I kawaii
Yusuke discussing eating people with a completely strait face was fun and probably worth it.

This

Yu Yu Hakusho at least has good character design

>when you lack so much creativity that you just do the same thing over again

As much as I'm a huge shotafag, even I'll admit YYH's characters were way more endearing and fun to watch.

The only issue is that terrible ending.

Yeah, Togahashi can't into character design but his character writings is the best shounen can ever be

OH
MY
RUBBER
NEN

I only wish hxh dudes would operate as a full team.

i've read 120+ chapters of HxH and...it's really ugly, empty and boring. especially the York Shin arc. a lot of people pretend it's an excellent arc but i'm tired of reading countless pages describing how each Nen works. i can't be the only one...

YYH any day.

This is where YYH peaked but it's also downhill from here.

I know maybe 3k words in english and had no problem with the wordiness. Some manga are not suitable for binging on is all.

They have their own lives.

YYH end was absolute shit

Hunter x Hunter has better writing but YYH is a lot more fun and has a much better main cast. As controversial as the final arc is it's still a joy to see how far Yusuke and the gang had come since the beginning

The one that's finished

Yu Yu Hakusho was the first manga I read, and still holds a special place in my heart. If you count that nostalgia in my judgement, I prefer it. Plus the main cast is probably the most loveable of any shonen series I've actually seen.
Hunter x Hunter has more world-building going on and therefore avoids the problem of crashing dick-first into its conclusion, so in itself I like HxH more, hiatus aside.

>YYH
>Ankoku Bujutsu tournament is awesome
>Sensui arc is cool
>I loved the anime
>I bought all the mangas because I wanted to see the beginning and the ending
>mfw the ending...

Hunter x Hunter is probably better in terms of narrative and overall creativity but I prefer Yu Yu Hakusho. It's simple but masterful. The author is the only weakness of both series but HxH is still going.

I feel like hxh gets a lot of praise simply for how jaded and edgy it is.

Gotta give it to yu yu, but its close.

Maybe, but I think it's genuinely pretty good. The art's garbage in the manga but Togashi gets a lot out of the concepts he uses. It's great for a shonen. The adaptation really elevates it.

I'd give it to HxH, but YYH has an ending.

YYH, easily.

What the fuck is with you newfags and this comparing everything to HxH?

HxH is permanently hiatused shounenshit with a lazy fucking author.

Come up with better starting points for discussions that aren't Shiter x Shiter comparisons.

HxH is one of my favorite manga.
Tried to get into YYH but I just couldn't for some reason.

HxH is the superior series, though YYH gets nostalgia points for me. I really like the fact that Ging is basically an older jaded version of Yusuke and a complete cunt.

What do you mean by jaded and edgy?
The only things that really comes to mind are the North Korea analogue and unironic use of briefcase nukes.

Most arcs in Yu yu hakusho are garbage

Yyh would be goat if it weren't for that shitty tournament ending. People complaining about him being the progeny of a demon are fags though.

How are Gon and yusuke alike in terms of Charcter

I'm comparing them because they're made by the same author and are similar in various ways cunt.

YYH>Level E>HxH
They're all good, but the main characters in HxH are shit.

YYH had a definite end, something that HxH will never have

Yu Yu Hakusho was great thematically but as much as people like to give shit to HxH for asspulls, there's much more asspulls in YYH that people seem to ignore. Go watch Yusuke vs Suzaku and try to keep a straight face with the amount of random shit going on there. The Toguro / Yusuke / Genkai angle is great and the atmosphere during chapter black is hard to top but as a whole I appreciate the writing in HxH in more. I think YYH wins for most people on nostalgia and also having a "cool" thing going for it that HxH lacks

YYH had a DNR because he didn't want to do it anymore.

Level E is the only one that had a definite end. And he said himself he'll end HxH on his own terms

YYH was lighthearted/funny enough that I don't mind the bullshit victories...
until Yusuke's super saiyan mode. that was some gay shit

You're better equipped to answer this then. He's comparing the two because they share an author, not because they share an animation team or anything. Mangaka technology hardly changed, but between Yuyu and HxH animation technology took massive leaps. Best to stick to manga for this.

The tournament arc ends at like episode 50 of the anime. There are 111 episodes. Sure, it was 30 some episodes of tournament hell, but c'mon, most of the series came after that. You're skipping the majority right now.

they are the main character.

I'd also have no ending than a shitty one. I like them both equally btw.

Yu Yu gets pretty boring but the first episode is probably the greatest 20 minutes in all of anime history

By that logic every main character is the same from Goku to spike and I said in terms of character not status

Implying there is one major main character in HxH.

Are you anime-only fag?

Killua has an arc without Gon, Kurpika is having a massive arc without most of them right now, all to himself and phantom troupe. Ging will presumably feature heavily in this arc. Gon and Killua were main characters along with Kurapika and Leorio up until where the anime stops. It primarily covered Gon AND Killua after just the first few introductory arcs. Pretty equal by the Hunter Exam and it never changed back. Then eventually they just left Gon behind entirely. But you're totally selectively forgetting all of that to make your point. We also frequently jump to perspective of the Spider Troupe for short bits in nearly every major arc. There are so many major characters is the main cast.

So to tally that up, we're now on our third main character with Kurapika taking over for the foreseeable future. And Ging is going to play a major role in the Dark Continent arc, but i'd be getting ahead of myself calling him the 4th.

It's just a silly and flawed premise for comparison. HxH has too many literal main characters, and has a much better main cast besides that.

Yu Yu Hakasho fights were like shittier DBZ fights for the most part. Less entertaining physical combat than HxH, lots of screaming and yelling to power up or the cancerous 'because my friends' shounen power up shenanigans, every fight won by an asspull. Nen is infinitely better than demonic/spirit energy as a battle system.

Agreed on better villains. Disagree on better cast, see first paragraph.

Solid point with ending.

2/5 points actually check out. Pretty shitty job here.

they had the same color palette and had some sort of crazy power spike to win the battle. better?

>better fights
I mean who cares really? HxH is about fights just as much as Gundam is about mech battles.

It's there and it happens every now and then but it's not really the focal part of the manga.

If HxH had characters half as likable as YYH's the series would have been a 10/10

No, not really. You just said what they're wearing which doesn't do the best job at describing Character in this context

O MY POND ALGAE

Fuck togashi and his asspulls

Your'e arguing that all wrong. When they do fight in HxH it's just better. Period. Nen is just a better system than the bogus and vague spirity energy system that leads to consequence-less 'friend' buffs and total asspulls at every turn. Nen is far more structured, far better explained, and leads to more entertaining interactions between the characters and their unique powers than anything that happened in Yu Yu Hakasho.

Bodies of water have algae isn't that common knowledge

Gon never gives up in the face of a challenge where he knows he will probably lose.
Yuske never gives up in the face of a challenge where he knows he will probably lose. Yuske learns a powerful move that lets him use a ball of energy to attack his opponent!
Gon learns a powerful move that lets him use a ball of energy to attack his opponent!
Both Gon and Yuske are the bland never quit MC's to their respective anime.

And because of that Gon permanently lost the ability to use his powers, because he was reckless in the ways you describe. So he literally got punished for that shit by no longer being the main character. Killua took over for a bit and now Kurapika is the major player, with more to come from Leorio and Ging.

Didn't Gon get healed by something? I haven't read the anime, so I'm not sure who is the MC anymore.
In the anime Gon gets healed by Deus ex machina and gets right back to it.

I prefer the fights in hxh but to say that all fights in YuYu were based on friend power ups is false.Yes, the toguro fight did involve a power up because of his friends, but was tolerable because: it was relevant to yusuke's arc, which is to actually start to care about things and have a drive in life, and It was made on purpose since Kuwabara knew making yusuke think he was dead would give him a better drive to fight toguro

I don't get the whole "YYH ending is shit" meme.

>Yusuke becomes self aware he has no strong morals and is just risking his life constantly for the thrill of it
>Entire arc focuses on Yusuke trying to find himself
>Ends with him wanting to finish his training so he could return to hook up with Keiko

The ending was pretty satisfying to me.

HxH characters, and the whole world of HxH, are pretty unlikable due to their sociopathic nature. That's not necessarily a "bad" thing, like that's just the world that they live in, but it's a bit taxing to watch.
YYH the good guys, or at least the two human main characters, are unambiguously good and their motives are positive.
Gon didn't even want to really meet his dad so much as compete against his dad (even if he did give the speech about wanting to ask him why he'd leave). And all the other HxH characters are 100 times more selfish

I guess I didnt get to the end. I saw up to that guy with the sunglasses getting super pumped and pissed during that tournament and Yuske winning. How did it end?

He got healed by Killua's little sister who can grant wishes.

BUT that turned him from a husk of a person in a vegetative state, to a functioning person who can never use nen again. And now we're on our second arc without, where his father and Kurapika have seemingly filled his roles for this arc, and he has no way of getting to the Dark Continent for the next arc.

TL:DR he's gone for awhile if not permanently but he's healthy..ish.

That's the third to last arc bud, you made it halfway threw the series

Gon is an emotionally immature kid. Yusuke is a unemotional punk. Gon doesn't really care about morality despite being friendly to most people. Yusuke has a underlying will to do good but is subdued by his pinkish attitude; but gets better as the show goes on as he learns to actually give a carp about others.
Bland MCs right?

YYH by far.

Kuwabara and Yusuke are both kept alive during the 4 saint beasts arc by their friends sharing 'life energy' as they used their life force as energy to defeat their opponents, and their friends shared theirs so they didn't end up dying. There are never any consequences from this even though it is directly state there would be. This is not the last time this happens either, Kurama dies like twice during the tournament. There are like 60 between this and the end of the series. It's a common problem, and it does happen frequently.

Damn, by then I was already getting tired of the story.

You have a point. It's such a slow character development that its hard to see it unless you look at the whole scope of it. I may have been wrong.

The manga wasn't far enough along for the show to say that Gon cant use nen anymore and I don't think the show did a very good job at explaining just how reckless the transformation was for his health. I still would have liked a better way to heal Gons condition than "o my little sister" but I can give it a pass since that's definitely coming into play with the dark continent arc

>yyh first arc
supernatural SoL
bretty good
>2nd
really fucking stupid detective nonsense made up on the spot without any planning, so the lack of world building is apparent in every reveal
shit
>team faggot arc
bretty good shounen 7.5/10, and when the boys rally for friendship its a 9
>DBZ style endless competition
mostly shite with a few flashes of excellence

HxH is better imo where the training tower arc is by far the weak point of the series

>Huge build up for Yusuke, Hiei, and Kurama only to be jammed in a few tournament episodes
>Hiei's potentially amazing death scene was never a thing because of some random chick pulled out of nowhere
>Yusuke asspulling Sacred Energy out of nowhere and almost defeated Yomi
Plus a whole bunch of other shoehorned shit.

You can definately see by Gons hand that he was seriously fucked up and probably going to die. If Gon cant use nen anymore I doubt it will last for long and he will be able to use it in the near future. He is too important of a character to let fall by the wayside in HxH

Also might pick up the manga sounds like a lot happens

dude you never even read HxH why do you even care?

the majority of YYH's fights are 90s bad (here's my trap card i bet you can't overpower this!)

Yusuke was the one who used his life energy and Kuwabara used some of his to assist Yusuke it wasn't like he just used the power of friendship to insta kill the boss. It was just assisting a friend why should there be a major consequence for helping someone on the same side as you

Jesus christ that does sound like garbage. Glad I dropped it (YYH).

This.
O MY RUBBER NEN is nothing compared to how almost every important fight in YYH ends in an asspull.
That and Togashi being too much of a coward to kill any character
>Toguro killed Genkai!
>Not really lol
>Toguro killed Kuwabara!
>Not really lol
>Yusuke had to kill a human being!
>Nah Genaki revives him lol
>Kurama killed a kid holy shit!
>Nah Koenma will take care of that
YYH is still lots of fun, mostly thanks to the character, but its way more flawed than HxH.

both are meh

You shouldn't be allowed to be this fucking retarded, it should result in execution

think you're looking for chapter 340 if you want to pick up where the show left off. in 5 years it's only up to chapter 370 though so who knows how long it will be before Gon's relevant again

we already have another O in the making too, though it's more likely for kurapica

>Have ultra broken ability
>Don't make use of it except to fuck around one time

>YYH
O MY DEMON ANCESTOR
O MY INSTANT S RANK DEMON TRAINING
O MY ALGAE IN MY EAR
>HxH
O MY RUBBER NEN
O MY ADULT GON BEAT THE SHIT OUT OF PITOU
O MY WISH GRANTING DICK SISTER
O MY etc

I prefer YYH because even though HxH is technically better writing wise, any sort of shortcoming is exacerbated by how much of a pedestal the manga/anime is seated upon while YYH is a solid shonen.

>Yusuke vs Toguro
>Yusuke vs Jin
>Hiei vs Bui
>Pretty much any Hiei battle
>Kurama vs Older Toguro

Give me one good HxH battle except Hisoka's fights.

I really enjoy YYH, but I'll admit, it's probably nostalgia.

Never watched HxH, but since it seems like most the cast are a bunch of children, I just can't get into it.

Never read either manga, besides just a few chapters of YYH.

>YYH
>O MY DEMON BLOOD

>HxH
>O MY INSTANT PUBERTY
>O MY LITTLE SISTER
>O MY RUBBER NEN

I really feel like Togashi's been going downhill since the second half of the Chimera Ant arc actually.

>It's such a slow character development that its hard to see
Yusuke literally died to save a kid in the 1st episode and Gon befriended a assassin within the first 10 episodes.
How did you miss this

This is exactly how I feel.
HxH is good, but everyone is a fucking psycho.
At least with YuYu Hakusho the only edgelord is Hiei and he still sticks around to help.

>O MY ADULT GON BEAT THE SHIT OUT OF PITOU
>O MY WISH GRANTING DICK SISTER

This is redundant. There were severe consequences to the former, and even after Killua's magic sister there still are, he has no nen.

The problem is that Killua's magic sister existed at all, and how easy it was for him to make use of her powers. That's the asspull there. Gon's powerup made sense and was justified with the enormous consequences. He'd have been better off dead after he transformed back to kid Gon.