The philosopher king

Can such a thing as the philosopher king, or benevolent dictator exist?Doesn't absolute power tend to corrupt absolutely?

Attached: le-style-des-femmes-de-l-est_500.jpg (751x500, 54K)

Other urls found in this thread:

cbsnews.com/news/vladimir-putin-interviews-with-oliver-stone-assassination-attempts-destiny/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

there was one in 20th century.

Attached: Cr4_pdMVUAAwyfx.jpg (900x900, 120K)

It's quite possible, it's how we fucking survived for millennium.
>absolute power corrupts absolutely
Lmao certainly not true. Just look at the state of Congress, nothing but Pedos and murder apologists, disgusting grovelers.
"An absolute ruler may be Nero, or Marcus Aurelius. But the people, the people are always Nero."

Power reveals flaws in your character that were always present, but you just never had the chance to express. It doesn't corrupt, it reveals corruption.

Any answer but blatant NO seems preposterous. Remember the guy who just theorized about that? Killed by the state.

Not as long as the jews exist

No. That is an archaic (and probably mistranslated) term stemming from ancient Greece.

Who was that? And rare.

It's possible. They systems we have are at fault, they are open to abuse.

I prefer the other version, that positions of power tend to attract the easily corrupted.

No, partial power corrupts absolutely. When you get a taste of it, you want more. That's why so many bureaucrats are petty tyrants. An absolute monarch doesn't need more power, but if he wants to maintain the power he has, he better do a good job.

"I know that. Do you know what they say among the Russian people? They say that those who are destined to be hanged are not going to drown," Putin said.

"What is your fate, sir? Do you know?" Stone asked.

"Only God knows our destiny -- yours and mine," Putin said.

"To die in bed, maybe," Stone said.

"One day this is going to happen to each and every one of us. The question is, what we will have accomplished by then in this transient world, whether we'll have enjoyed our life?" Putin said.

cbsnews.com/news/vladimir-putin-interviews-with-oliver-stone-assassination-attempts-destiny/

Attached: putin.jpg (1200x630, 41K)

>Doesn't absolute power tend to corrupt absolutely
No.

contradictions the post

I think the autistic fag is referring to Socrates, in which case he is an autistic fag no less.
The architect of the christcuck morality had a way too comfy death.

Wasn't that one of the points that plato made?

The people most fit to rule are the ones who don't seek to gain power inorder to lord over other. The philosopher who seeks only to gain knowledge/wisdom and not power over others would make the ideal king.

Yes

Yes, but its meaningless if the people can't understand the reasoning of that ruler.

I don't think absolute power corrupts, I think absolute power attracts the corrupt.

That's why you always find leftists in moderator/admin positions: They're exactly the kind of corrupt individuals who pursue that sort of power, while the guy who wouldn't give a shit about it, doesn't pursue it.

The best dictator I therefore propose to be any person who doesn't actually want the job but does it out of a sense of duty and self-sacrifice.

That's why the best choice is the philosopher, because the philosopher wants to live a contemplative life not one as a ruler, right?

>Can such a thing as the philosopher king, or benevolent dictator exist?
Marcus Aurelius existed, so yes.
>Doesn't absolute power tend to corrupt absolutely?
He's a living reproach to that.

>edgy manbabby made a post

this

Of course he can exist and he doesn't need to have absolute power.

The more interesting question is, has our current democracy ever brought forth a decent "philosopher president"?

You're right but a philosopher can have ambition.

fpbp

>Absolute power corrupts absolutely
Turns out partial power leads to scheming and conflict for more power, thanks democracy. Now if only we had a metaphor meme to mock people who want to lock power away in clever constructs and constitutions.

Cucked power cucks absolutely.

A republic (or some kind of popular uprising) is the sword of Damocles that hangs above the head of all monarchs and despots.

There is no such sword for the career politician in a democratic system of government.

Friedrich II.
Charlemange
A bunch of romans
Victoria

Congress doesnt have absolute power.
What else did you misunderstand?

Yes and no, user.

But if the philosopher is truly iluminated he won't pursue power, he would merely look for the best.

Depends what you mean by benevolent? You don't get to be in absolute power without being ruthless, and taking out enemies. Then again, is it a bad thing that bad guys and subversives disappear off the face of earth?