Which year in the past 10 years has been the best year for anime?

I went through my archive recently and counted up the number of anime I watched, finished and saved from each year. That includes only what I watched to the end and liked, since I don’t save anime that I dropped. My archive includes 540 anime that aired between 2007-2017.

Some things I noticed:
>a lot more anime are released now than 10 years ago
>Kill la Kill (2013) really did save anime
>2014 and 2015 were the best years for anime on date
>the trashiest anime tend to air during winter seasons
>fall seasons seem to always have the most variety of show types

Raw data:
>2007: 26 anime watched
>2008: 33
>2009: 30
>2010: 43
>2011: 40
>2012: 50
>2013: 59
>2014: 80
>2015: 65
>2016: 59
>2017: 55

the day that Dragonball made a comeback with DBS. So probably 2015-2017 are tied. Rest are garbage.

My observation in the Last 15 years of animu ist that more newer anime tend to start promising and make a crahs&burn during the First season. Can remember Animes from pre 2oo5 which did that on a large scale as now.

for me, best year was 2006 since code geass and death note. unfortunatly we are considering only anime from 2007

so, I would go for 2013, simply because of SNK

then: 2017 simply because of snk s2 and made in abyss

followed by 2011 (Steins gate)

and 2016 (Erased)

My archive: almost completed 190 anime (dropped around 60) since early 90s

>then: 2017 simply because of snk s2
Really dude?

just my favorite among made in abyss, im not saying i didn´t enjoyied some other anime (like maid dragon) and i also mentioned made in abyss

Did you only watch the three anime this year? This thread may be a little above your level.

What the fuck was good about 2015?
Off the top of my head I'm not sure, but I'd probably say 2011.

2007 was the rare time lots of good shows all airred in the same season, contrasted to the shit-show now. Fantastic year. I doubt any has been better since.

2008 was total shit outside of 1 or 2 things like Kaiba.

Pic related are what I watched and finished that year. Not every one is a classic, but there were a huge number of decently watchable shows that year. If I'm trying to be conservative about it, the classics of that year, IMO, were:
Death Parade
Saekano
Hibike! Euphonium
Kekkai Sensen
Shokugeki no Souma
Illya 2wei Herz
Umaru-chan
Monster Musume
Non Non Biyori Repeat
Overlord
Prison School
Gate
Kagewani
Owarimonogatari
Utawarerumono 2
Yuru Yuri San Hai

That's just from what I watched, again, but I can only compare what I watched one year to what I watched another year.

>the classics of that year
>classic
>this list
Holy hell.

>Toradora
>Code Geass R2
>Kaiba
>Aria
>Casshern Sins
>Soul Eater

>Hunter X Hunter
>Steins;Gate
>Usagi Drop
>Fate/Zero
>Madoka
>Kaiji Season 2

>Parasyte
>Barakamon
>Watamote
>No Game No Life
>Ping Pong
>Shirokbako
>Baby Steps

It's one of these three

There was a lot of shit that aired that year too.

Only stuff there I'd call great is Non Non Biyori. Hibike, Utaware and Yuru Yuri were decent. The rest? No way.

>Kill la Kill (2013) really did save anime
I don't see how unless you like shounenshit.

>the trashiest anime tend to air during winter seasons
Tell that to 2018.

Easily 2007. I remember there were several fun shows which took place after high school for a change (Genshiken, Nodame Cantabile, etc.) along with a solid batch of other shows each season.

You know what, dude? Fuck off.

The only reason I'm giving my own list is because my taste is pretty broad and has also stayed pretty much the same over the years (and I've gone back to find shows I missed in seasons where I had less time as they were airing). It's less meaningful if you tell me that you liked X anime during Y season unless you can relate that to other seasons, which is more what I wanted to get at with this thread.

>I don't see how
Then you didn't read my post.

Possibly 2011. A lot of the modern classics aired that year, a lot of megahits that at the same time also are of great quality, and many less popular but still good or interesting anime.

However I barely watch any anime so it's hard for me to tell.

Shit anime don't count.

2007>2006>=2010>2011>>>>>>shit>>the rest

>Nodame Cantabile
crap show people have applied a nostalgia filter to

I started watching anime to 2009 till 2013, and had a break from anime and Sup Forums 2013-2016
I missed some nuggets?

2014 is easily the best of the 2010s, maybe 2011 comes close

I agree there is some nostalgia involved, but it was far from crap.

try Space Dandy, Psycho-Pass, Madoka, Parasyte, Kill la Kill, Kurosaba, Barakamon, Watamote, Ping Pong

Oh, you're just a stupid kid. Should have pieced that together from the blogpost and thinking KlK is anything special.

tryhard faggot

2007, the 2000s were a special time for the genre

I don't know, I'm shit at remembering what came from which season. But I've spent the last few years wondering if anime has gone to shit or if it's just me. I've loved this year though. Your list just confirms there was fucking nothing for me in 2015.

This isn't a stealth recommendation thread. Stop or some faggot is going to get it deleted.

What the fuck

Why tho? I didn't pick up a single new anime during the winter season, as one example.

>all these plebs saying 2007 was the best year evar because Death Note and Code Geass
embarrassing

>80 watchable shows in 2014
>65 watchable shows in 2015
>vs. only 26 watchable shows in 2007

But I totally just pulled that statement out of my ass.

Madoka, Chihayafuru and Stein's Gate are great, at least. Tamayura Hitotose is also one I liked.

There are also some that I disagree on, but get a lot of praise from other people, such as Nichijou and Fate Zero, and some I haven't seen such as Hunter X Hunter.

I usually rely more on consensus than my own opinions when deciding quality of a year, so it's a bit difficult to defend only based on my own opinions, and it's possibly the only year I've seen enough of to be somewhere close to having any right to have an opinion.

Death Note and Code Geass both started in fall of 2006, though. 2007 was when Lucky Star and School Days aired. It really does boggle the mind that people think 2007 was anything but a very weak year for anime.

This, I can't take seriously someone saying KLK really did save anime.

>I usually rely more on consensus than my own opinions when deciding
This kind of attitude is what's wrong with the world.

School Days looks like a 90s anime I had no idea it aired in 2007

When the number of good anime increases by about 60% in the year after Kill la Kill compared to the year before it, then it's fair to say that anime was saved.

I wouldn't say it saved anime but it felt like a watershed moment and a lot of shows have felt different since

2014, easily.

There wasn't really anything exceptional about those years. I liked Mikakunin, Daimidaler, Twintail, and Gakkougurashi but other than these nothing stands out much. Big years for shounenshit if you're into it but that's not really my thing.

watched more than that ok, what else: maid dragon, aho girl, currently inuyashiki, konosuba s2 (weaker than s1), acca 13 etcetc

don´t make sense

Lucky Star and School Days weren't the only anime that aired in 2007. And Lucky Star is good, anyway.
There's also Dennou Coil, Seirei no Moribito, Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann, Hidamari Sketch and many others.

Haha he autistically replies to every single person that responds to him. What the heck.

>Hidamari Sketch
>good
top zozzle

When you can only list 5 anime, you don't get to use "etcetc" as if you're leaving out a whole lot else.

>Lucky Star

As with any season. The difference being now I only follow 1 or 2 shows and drop basically everything. Just look at that spring '07. God damn.

Holy shit kid calm the fuck down.

2007 had better series than anything in '14 or '15. You must lick toilets for fun if you thought there were 80 good series in 2014.

Isn't that what you just did?

>What the heck.
Go back to whatever PG-rated message board you came from, dagnabbit!

a lot of 2007 shows have aged really badly, stop being nostalgia fags

>2007
>Nostalgia
How old are you?

Not sure what that has to do with anything.

I remember 2011 being a particularly good year

2007 was almost 11 years ago user

Not him, these are both very good series. Not sure why you would thrash those, rare we get CGDCT that good these days.

I don't remember any good show from 2014
It was a weak year

old enough to not be a kid in 2007 so I don't idolise everything thing from the mid 2000s

>that spring season
please take me back

>Late 00s
>Nostalgia

Is it me that's changed, or Sup Forums ?

I won't defend it, because I haven't seen it, but the consensus seems to like it.

We can also add Bamboo Blade, and the list can be further improved by adding things I haven't seen, such as Nodame Cantabile, Darker Than Black, Baccano, Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei, Kaiji and many more.

Which wouldn't be considered nostalgiac unless you're like twenty. No wonder you like '14 and '15 so much, you must love shounen.

they're both okay slice of life shows which were improved on by the cute girl shows that came after them

Meant for

>almost completed 190 anime (dropped around 60) since early 90s
>190 anime
>since early 90s

Having a few great anime in a year is better than having a bunch of barely watchable stuff. In that regard, 2011 meet both criteria by having both great shows and a bunch of okay stuff too.

>2007 had better series than anything in '14 or '15.
A small number of anime that aired in 2007 made it to the "recommended anime" lists that people pass around, but it wasn't a very strong year, overall.

Claymore - way overrated, not actually that good
Kaze no Stigma - a little long-running, drawn out
Lucky Star - I couldn't even force myself to finish it
Seirei no Moribito - a neat anime, but not 10/10
Seto no Hanayome - rightful classic
Gurren Lagann - if it aired today, people would get sick of it sooner for being a hype train
Baccano - pretentious shit
Mononoke - rightful classic
Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei - pretentious shit
Dennou Coil - only like a 7/10 anime by today's standards
Clannad - takes itself way too seriously, is garbage when you know the writer's tricks

>10 years ago doesn't count as nostalgia
You're trying too hard to fit in.

>Luckystar Internet Defense Force in full effect

Name me a better year.

>Baccano - pretentious shit
Come on, user.

>Nodame Cantabile
ugh was that the music romance show that went on for like 4 seasons? Nobody even remembers it anymore because it wasn't very good
>Darker Than Black
lol awful, at least put a good action show like Black Lagoon or something
>Baccano
It's a fun 7/10 show, not a classic the plot is stupid and the characters are paper thin
>Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei
good
>Kaiji
very good

It got BTFO by tender toppings threads whilst it airred though.

>ad populum
>didn't watch hidamari, moetan, kodomo, karin, nanoha, gakuen, doujin work, nanatsu, shugo, minami-ke, bamboo blade
>"Lucky Star - I couldn't even force myself to finish it"
Dumb kid. Many of us dream for another year like 2007.

Not when you're thirty, no.

2007 was just the year you started watching anime, we all see that

My favourite "good year" is 1998 because it has so many good anime and masterpieces but haven't really seen enough of either to know if it's better than 2007. However I think the best of 1998 are rated higher than the best of 2007, and has more anime that's still relevant than 2007, or at least that'll be the case in five years.

Even the shit shows seemed more fun

Reminder that '08s will never not be newfags

>hidamari, moetan, kodomo, karin, nanoha, gakuen, doujin work, nanatsu, shugo, minami-ke, bamboo blade
every single one of these shows was bad, I mean seriously

I did in the OP. 2014. There were 80 watchable anime that year. Lots of classics.

Also, I missed Darker Than Black in - that was not intentional. I think it's a great anime. I just don't think the year overall was so great for anime.

You don't know what ad populum means. I'm arguing AGAINST ad populum, you dumb fucking animal. Since most people in this thread are voting for 2007 as the best year for anime, the ad populum argument would be to agree with the majority of people!!

>didn't watch hidamari, moetan, kodomo, karin, nanoha, gakuen, doujin work, nanatsu, shugo, minami-ke, bamboo blade
And you didn't look at the image I posted, either.

1998 is probably the GOAT year

Did you actually watch them as their airred in '98 though ? I thought this was a seasonal thread. I imagine subs were incredibly erratic in those years still.

>nodame cantabile

Everything in the post you are responding to I've watched since 2012. Before then I only occasionally watched shounen series from recommendations with disappointment, kept me out of anime for about a decade.

>>Kill la Kill (2013) really did save anime
So the meme was real after all. Thanks meme magic.

It was an excellent show, and you know it.

I'm trying to stick to the past 10 years because 2007-2017 was in the high speed internet age with readily available fansubs for almost all currently airing shows as they came out.

Gurren Lagann, Dennou Coil, Kaiji, Nana, Mononoke, Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei, Lucky Star
these are the only 2007 shows that have aged well looking back with 10 years hindsight

I know, kid. Girls, fun, and fan service suck.

Then why bring up "recommended anime" and fanbases influencing quality multiple times? Literally references to ad populum.

>And you didn't look at the image I posted, either.
It tells me that you downloaded some series. Your post however explains what you've watched, a bunch of kid stuff.

>80 watchable anime

Wait we differentiating between "good" and "watchable" now? Because it doesn't take much to be watchable depending on your standards.

what people watch during airing is not that important, it is the shows that stand the test of time and are still watched 10 years later that are the true classics

Watch more anime.

There's a big difference between shows that you just find watchable seasonally and what you can still consider good.

I can go back and maybe find 2 or 3 things a year that are still worth recommending to someone today. Please be more discerning.

I have watched more than you, tryhard

You haven't watched half of those.

I don't need to

Dumb kid.