Why do ppl hate on these so much?

I liked both of them and I'd like to know where the criticism comes from.

KnK doesn't really have much haters, or fans for that matter. GATE haters are mostly Sup Forums shitters triggered about muh Japanese military.

GATE had some of the worst character designs possible. They went for the idol crowd when both the manga and LN art is very nice. The story is meh and doesn't really improve until the Dragon fight but I could not bring myself to care about the anime.

GATEs MC isnt relatable enough for the neck beards to project onto so they rage

>manga art
>nice
lmao

GATE is shit but it's dumb fun

KnK was just pretty shit compared to what kyoani are usually capable of.
GATE I didn't see much of but the premise was hopelessly unoriginal so I didn't bother with it.

>unoriginal
I thought it was pretty original. At least I haven't seen very many semi-accurate (for anime) military shows that focus on modern army going to a fantasy world and steamrolling everyone.

But why was it shit? what makes it so? why is Amagi Brilliant Park gets better critical acclaim, for example?

That's new to me, but I can see how the variety in character designs in the source material is non-existent in favor of the bland A-1 look.

As an ex-millitary dude who despised the irrational and dehuminizing state of mind such a system projects, I could totally relate to Itami, and that's probably why this show scores higher in my books.

fSDJ eht nioj.

I actually liked GATE. I wished it went a little more into detail about how modern armies would fuck up a feudal one even if they had dragons and magic and shit. It kept jumping between stuff it wanted to show off. Most of it entertained me, except for the villain of the second cour, he was an "evil because he was evil" kind of villain.

Also the girls were great, other than the daddy issues elf. And even though the MC who was an "Otaku who used to be in the army" and nothing else, he was a go-getter which is almost always more fun to watch then you're typical Japanese pseudo-man.

'Cause GATE's bad, user!

What do these shows have to do with each other besides being some of the only ones you've watched? I can't speak for KnK but GATE absolutely ruins an interesting premise by being nonstop Japan wank. It's like those /tg/ stories about humans and aliens interacting where it's nothing but masturbation over the most mundane things humans are capable of. You have an episode where the existence of magic elves is exposed to the world, and all our side really cares about is their cute ears. Meanwhile they're blown away by basic things in our society like bathhouses despite the fact that their society is heavily inspired by ancient Rome who perfected the bathhouse. Every battle is just the enemy getting absolutely annihilated with no tension or conflict in the story. It makes you wonder why you're even watching since the only compelling thing about it was the cute girls and there are so many other shows that do that better.

GATE was just endless wankery of the JSDF. If you're into that it was fine, if you're not it was boring. It was fun watching tanks, helicopters, and machine guns shit all over common fantasy tropes at first, but the JSDF being literally perfect gods of war got old somewhat fast. There wasn't really any tension in the story because whenever the situation looked even slightly grim, a fucking airstrike or tac insertion or whatever took care of it instantly.

Yeah, it was really fuckin' Nationalist and gay.

>not liking Sao Satoru
How can taste be so shit? I mean, I fully admit he suffers from minor sameface but he's pretty much nailed military designs and how to handle fantasy races visually. He fully appreciates breasts and I for one dig this. And he's borderline /k/ with his own attention to detail for military related imagery so he's a perfect fit.

His rendering skills are pretty crap

"some of the only ones I've watched" is not true, but that's besides the point. I can easily see why people hate other shows I've liked, and vice versa, but in these 2 cases I haven't really heard compelling arguments that made me understand the hate towards them.

The power handling is basically the same as Overlord, which has an extremely powerful and overwhelming MC that basically gets no challenge from the surroundings, but that doesn't matter to anyone.

The minor historical details are not relevant when talking about a general opinion, that's just nitpicking.

What do you mean by this?

I don't understand why all the JSDF shit bothers so many people. My country celebrates our military very quietly, Its interesting seeing nationalistic military sentiments showing up in media like this.

I guess if you're an oorah fucking Ameriburger another country even celebrating or including its military in media at all is taken as an insult to your own garbage military.

>Why do ppl hate on these so much?

For the GATE anime the designs suck ass but im fine with the manga, they're great, that said i wish they stopped with the "Politics" and "Conspiracies" and "Attempts at drama" and just go full retard and start shootings fantastical creatures with tanks and shit, GATE is at its best when they're shooting dragons with rocket launchers, but i might be alone in this opinion

>GATE had some of the worst character designs possible

Idk how because the anime feels way superior to me

I also enjoyed GATE, both seasons of it. I'm guessing most of Sup Forums was butt hurt because of all the JSDF showboating.

GATE had A1 sameface type #1, type #2 is pic related

Personally, I didn't really like either.
Knk was okay, as far as battle anime go, but then I got to that one episode where the spirit or whatever really likes watching girls dance or something, and has the ability to flood stink juice. That's a really dumb weakness to give a monster, and the whole situation felt like fanservice for fanservice's sake. Even when I eventually got to learn about each character's secret past, I just didn't care. It was just generic persecution chuuni backstory. I don't think the show was bad, it just wasn't good.

As for GATE, I sorta liked the beginning episodes, but it started to stumble pretty quick. Having goth-loli be the signature style of the death priestesses makes no sense. Especially when magic users have the sort of robes you would expect from a fantasy setting. That said, the priestess was interesting, and seemed like she could have good interactions with the advent of a modern military. But as the show went on, it descended into grittier and more political drama, and lost some of the fun and interesting tone of the first part. It looked like it would develop into "fantasy land commits atrocity or attacks and gets carpet bombed," and "Earth governments are corrupt and greedy, and try to take advantage of the fantasy world."
Quite frankly, neither plotline appealed to me.

Gate's only interesting thing is a modern military beating an old military. AKA shit everyone already knows.

when KnK first aired there are few haters back then. but when Gate first aired its so shit, because A-1 murdered the chracter's design they omitted some scene.
fucking A-1, if they don't want too much rated 18 scenes, they should have not animated Gate.

Does Rory ever get dick?

GATE gets invalid criticism from asspained amerifats who can't handle a manga/anime showing america not being the best, it's actually good

The "GATE is Japanese propaganda" criticism is hands down the stupidest criticism I've heard for an anime.
S1 was pretty enjoyable but it got pretty stale in S2. The elf girl became stupidly annoying and the side story of the mage girl going to her college or whatever during the end of the season is just a lazy adaptation to get you to read the source.

Because the real JSDF is basically like a national police force. They aren't very strong and aren't even allowed to declare war.

>KnK
Kyoani can't really do urban fantasy, although they're improving and the movie wasn't as bad as the TV series. Also the idol episode proved that the series is better off being youkai-of-the-week SoL.
>Gate
Buthurt americans not allowing Japan to be a bit nationalistic. But that side, it's just not that good of a show, too much focus on Inami's harem instead of actually exploring the premise. Also even for propaganda purposes the other countries are just too retarded for the story to be believable.

>KnK was just pretty shit
Your tastes are shit.
The plot itself was generic as fuck but the characters and their interactions were golden.

this, and if a dumb fun show doesnt click its just dumb. its not even the JSDF shilling, hell that was the most interesting thing about the show.

KNK has only one speed and to divide people into the group who likes it and the one that doesn't only need the idol episode. It perfectly boils down the entirety of the humor in the show and does it with some fucking masterful comedic timing and just overall great package. IMHO KNK is pretty fucking great. GATE is good but honestly I wish there was more army/diplomacy stuff and less fantasy stuff. Just my personal preference.

I don't think either of them are generally hated, it's just that both of them are meh-tier forgettable seasonal trash that doesn't really do anything special to make it stand out among everything else.

It's the same with movies and tv shows about the US invasion of Iraq

Gate is fantastic.

>GATE
Here's some:

World lore is utter crap copy pasted random shit
Nippon military is basically gary stu, making gate world medieval armies and their conflicts pointless
Main girls are cliche shit
Shit plot
The usual borderline homosexual mc

Of course it's Japanese propaganda. It was written by ex-military far-right loon.