What's the most masculine manga that you've ever read?

What's the most masculine manga that you've ever read?

probably Sun-Ken Rock

Ashita no Joe.

Boku No Hero Academia, mc is an absolute mad man lol.

Not the most masculine, but a good one is Holyland

Baki

JoJo part 5

Reading this probably increases test levels.

Shamo or Kokou no Hito. I had stopped reading Sun Ken Rock at vol. 16 and decided 2 days ago to get to vol. 19 and drop it since I already knew the ending was garbage. The fighting since were very good but the writing was terrible. It was >muh friends. I consider a manga masculine when it's about MC overcoming obstacles and becoming the best at what he wants. I liked Holyland but when Shougo fought MC for the 2nd time it all went to shit. Vagabond is also great.

Came here to post this

Too bad you read the fucking Wild Fang 'scanlation'.

>fighting since
fighting scenes*.

Terra Formars has its moments

Was thinking of this too but more Oyaji than others.

Came here to post this.

What a fucking great read.

Lone wolf and cub

Is Shamo good? I heard the ending and the arcs leading up to it were trash.

Yotsuba! What's more masculine than being a good dad?

B E R S E R K

Golden Kamui

The Breaker.

I want to change my answer to this. It was on the tip of my tongue but i couldn't properly remember it.

Shamo is the best thing I've ever read up to volume 19 (200 chapters). You should honestly stop there, because after that the artist and the author didn't get along and what basically happened was that the artist became the author and didn't know what the fuck we was doing. MC is the best villain I've ever seen. So much fun.

Is vol 19 the end of the boxing arc?

Checking my archive it seems like I have their release for the last volume only. I should re-read it so I'm going to look into what the best releases are and put it in my backlog again, it's been enough years now.

There are 4 main arcs:
>jail arc (like the first 2 volumes)
>Sugawara arc (until volume ~13 iirc)
>China arc until volume 20
>Garbage arc until the end.
China arc was good.

What's your favorite?

Sugawara. He went full madman.

Came to post this.

Akagi

I don't know if it's the most masculine but it's a god-tier manga.

>most masculine manga
>no Otokojuku
I'm dissapointed, user.

Baki
Toriko
Bastard

Baki I guess.

if the answer isn't Otokojuku, it is wrong

ippo

was going to post it but didn't know how to spell it

Vinland Saga. A manga about Vikings that doesn't fall into the trap of over aggression = manlyness.

title?

SAO Progrock, Fist of the North Star, Calvin and Hobbes Demonspear Edition, 3X3 Eyes, Baki Son of DOTY. Ninku, Firepunch, Deathsu marchu, Blade of the Immortal, Basilisk, etc etc etc

>Why no Berserk?
That's so gay, Griffinfags!

Ore Monogatari

Fuck I teared up for two whole volumes.

Lucky Star

The ending arc is a masterpiece of metafiction, but most readers didn't get it at the time. We had nice discussions about it sometime ago, but I don't have the text at hand.

Seriously, read it if only to get a lesson on story telling and on how to end a manga.

It falls into the trap of being a huge retarded dumbass = manlyness.

It just doesn't fall into the manliness trap.
>what is it to live a good life?
Start with the greek.

>metafiction

Ulysses is a piece of shit user and you should feel bad.

>It just doesn't fall into the manliness trap.

Manliness isn't a trap though user.

Cromartie High School

Probably some bara manga.
Why?

It's just decent. The author took on a far too difficult scenario, and it quickly devolved to bad historical cameos and poop jokes.

>implying Ulysses invented metafiction
You realize its a feature that preexisted post-modernism right? Hell the first verses of the Bible is metafictional.

It really doesn't matter when the "feature" was invented. It's still a garbage feature that pseudo-intellectuals like to champion.

Oyaji

good taste

go back to current /lit/
those of us with human souls would like to stay in the mode of old /lit/

>go back to current /lit/

Sorry user, I'll never go to your shithole.

This was a parody.

Could you elaborate? I'm genuinely curious here. I'm the user who first mentioned metafiction.

How and why a literary text being aware of itself be a bad thing in itself?

I mean, I took the bible for example: John 1:1 is the best example you could have of a metafictional discourse, and it is incredibly powerful, both from a theological and literary point of view.

It is specifically because it is not my place of residence that I would ask you to go there.

>Mary Sue shounen fightan bullshit
>manly

Masculine? Not really. Enlightenment? Hell yes.

>How and why a literary text being aware of itself be a bad thing in itself?

Because it ruins immersion in the text itself. Art is illusion, and it's entire point is to immerse the reader/watcher/etc. into whatever universe the work is a depiction of for the purposes of relaxation. If it ruins the illusion, then it's just bad art.

And if it's not art, but something to be used to teach whatever, then what exactly does it teach? Probably something actually retarded.

Also the Bible is actually not meant to be a story to be read in leisure, but it's purpose was of a history book. It was meant to teach. and was not regarded as fiction by whoever wrote it.

>Art is illusion, and it's entire point is to immerse the reader/watcher/etc. into whatever universe the work is a depiction of for the purposes of relaxation
>art is just for relaxation
That's stupid, you're stupid, and I don't like Joyce either.

>just

Relaxation is extremely important user. Don't trash it just because it's all you do.

When did I question the importance of relaxation?

icycalm pls

>just

And calling that stupid.

Look at all that crap, that image is a mess.

:^)

>Art is illusion, and it's entire point is to immerse the reader/watcher/etc. into whatever universe the work is a depiction of for the purposes of relaxation.
That's a pretty narrow definition of art and of literature especially. Also, self aware illusion is still illusion. What about Proust, for example? It is extremely self aware and is still incredible immersive.

But setting aside divergent definition of art, you missed my point. Metafiction needs not to be in-your-face, and that is exactly what happened with Shamo's ending.

I respect his opinion of art as illusion but there's plenty of art that's non-illusory that's also good, architecture for one
which does have some practical concerns sure, but it's still art

>That's a pretty narrow definition of art and of literature especially

What's narrow here is your understanding of the concepts you just greentexted. I'm sure you like to invent all sorts of retarded pseudo-concepts and spiral lots of different stupidities out of stupidities to appear smart and complex and on top of people you "teach", but all that does is keep you at a standstill.

>rock shaped into human form
>non-illusory

Are you even being serious here user?

>sculpture
>architecture
dude

Battle Royale (despite almost 1/2 of the characters being women) and Vinland Saga

with Kawada,Thorfinn, Askeladd and Thorkell being as manly and badass as guys like Takezo and Guts

My bad.

Still, it's not art man. Shaping a building to look nice is completely different from writing a story or painting a picture of a different world.

Were you touched somewhere bad by a lit-major?

Jokes aside, I feel like there's indeed a misunderstanding. What I am saying is pretty simple though: it is possible to maintain immersion while commenting on the medium itself. That is what Proust does over seven novels, and it works pretty damn well.

Lol, I guess I am losing my time here.

it's different, but it's still art
instrumental music is abstract too

Bastard!!

You're losing your time whatever you do.

>is abstract

Nigga, the words in books are abstract, but we still manage to use them to imagine a different world. Same with music, to a much baser extent I guess.

Strongest Man Kurosawa.

:^) time shared with people talking about literature is never lost, user. It's actually the only true life, according to Proust, funnily enough.

A shame then that you're still wasting time, since ulysses, and anything of its ilk, can't even be called literature.

being autistic to the point of exiling yourself from society is your idea of being masculine?

different forms of music produces different forms of emotional response, but it's the same for architecture
for example, look how the guys researching nuclear waste storage invented spiky wastelands that tried to scream "dread" with every fibre of their being

it's not like sharp, discordant violin noises actually remotely represent something scary, they just produce that effect for some reason

I like confronting divergent point of views though.

What do you hate about Joyce in particular? And what do you file under the umbrella of "anything of its ilk"?

>for some reason

For the reason that they are very unnatural and discordant sounding.

Bastard!!!, full stop

even then it's the same for architecture, a gothic cathedral is more "heavenly" than a normal building due to the vertically tapering and elongated forms simulating a stretching into infinity

what did Sup Forums eat today?

>implying that is not some god tier meal

Sure user, but the fact that a cathedral has very little to offer in the form of art, means that it's bad for the purposes of relaxation, etc.

Like how a broom has very little to offer in the form of transport. Sure, it might make putting it between your legs and running from point A to point B slightly more fun for children, it nevertheless is terrible if you're an actual adult.

I have to leave now, but nice bait.

Whatever you say user.