But what happens once we get there? How long will it take for an independent government to exist, if at all...

But what happens once we get there? How long will it take for an independent government to exist, if at all? Would it be willingly allowed to be created or would there be a unilateral secession?

Attached: mars.jpg (626x626, 166K)

Can't wait to watch them slowly go insane there. It's like Big Brother: Mars Edition. Only exit is death.

Attached: 1492193769600.jpg (425x283, 38K)

If Mars colonists wanted to be independent what would Earth even do? Send in the space police? There is a 20 minute time lag between communication so depending on Earth would be fucking stupid

Quaid ! Start the reactor !

If theyre actually stupid enough to attempt it in the next 20 yrs, this so much. once the feeling of being tens of millions of miles (at its closest from earth) away from anyone that can hear you scream their minds will break down. Cabin Fever, Paranoia, body degeneration.
It will be like The Shining, but in Space.

Attached: 1486764778126.jpg (423x525, 127K)

Mars is just the training mission. It's what comes next that is exciting.

Attached: rama.jpg (700x394, 61K)

Attached: terra-formars-racism.jpg (870x836, 185K)

>what happens once we get there?
set up base
>how long will it take for an independent government to exist, if at all?
Debatable, the initial colony will assumably exist under a military based hierarchy, since the first missions are being planned as military style operations - but very quickly after the first missions the change to what Elon called a "direct democracy" will occur.

Also, OP, Beware - This thread is going to be swarmed with shills and other naysayers.

Attached: Marsc2.jpg (461x640, 57K)

Attached: tr2.jpg (600x364, 22K)

Well said leafy. It's gonna be fun to see some liberal roastie video calling home: "Mommy, daddy please come get me home!".

Attached: 1519946293531.jpg (350x350, 40K)

why ask questions of something you will never know or experience? we're all old irrelevant dead men to the mars question

>military based hierarchy
The space station itself technically runs like this, but in practice it doesn't because the orders all come from the ground.

Mars is going to be the same way, even though comms will take time to come from Earth it will still be basically taking orders from Earth.

well there's the issue of self sustainability to consider. if the colony is still dependent on earth for food and air, but has something of scientific or economic value to send back in return, then maybe its realistic

I suspect Self Sustainability won't happen until at the very least Fusion on a smaller scale is part of the equation and somewhat economical. And that wont happen for at least another 30-50 yrs. Maybe sooner if investors are willing to be a little premature.

Stop sending food and supplies.

All depends on what exactly is there in the way of resources, and therefore how much Mars must depend on Earth.

But without a doubt, after living there awhile the people will become hardy, technically advanced, and intelligent at a level that dwarfs Earth born people. That's what harsh environments do.

50 years is impossible. Look at Earth, we have mines and minerals all over the planet. Mars would need the same to be self sufficient.

>the feeling of being tens of millions of miles (at its closest from earth) away from anyone
I want that feel

Attached: family camping trip.jpg (500x496, 90K)

I suspect it will be a lot like Antarctica, scientists and military personnel and if you want to go there you have to get clearance and have a purpose beyond "I wanna go".

who cares Sup Forums the chances are it will be an ethno-planet cause nogs are to stupid o be astronauts

the "i wanna go" phase will happen in about 20 years, no joke. Elon already said he wants to use commercialize the whole things so he can start to make some money, which will lower the cost of taking people there overall

It'll be an Antarctica situation with a few bases and some national claims based on old landing sights but mostly just science personnel. I doubt Elon will ever get his giant rocket off the ground and if he dose I don't thing the FAA will let him put people on it unless he builds a launch facility off shore or something.

If Elon himself is successful, then we’ll hopefully have a capitalist system. But i can guarantee you that any effort of this sort is bound to have at least some level of (((diversity))).

Ethnoplanet Mars then.