I go to school for aerospace engineering and we are forced to be fluent in both the metric and imperial systems because...

I go to school for aerospace engineering and we are forced to be fluent in both the metric and imperial systems because America has refused to progress into the metric system like the rest of the world has, This is extremely frustrating because learning the imperial system is like learning an entirely new language. What will it take for America to progress into the Metric system which is objectively a much better system of measurement than the imperial system?

Attached: 800px-Metric_system_adoption_map.svg.png (784x498, 96K)

Other urls found in this thread:

worldnewsdailyreport.com/trump-science-advisor-denies-apollo-moon-landings-ever-happened/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Lmao do you go to Ryerson you leaf.

UofT

Didn't realize Antarctica doesn't use the metric system.

Antartica hasn't been colonized yet because it is impossible to live there you knob

Actual aerospace engineer here. Stop being a little bitch. If you can't learn 2 systems of units then don't flip my burgers.

>I go to school for aerospace engineering

I'm a freshman in my second semester of college, haven't matriculated into engineering yet, and because of poor performance in basic math classes, will be a humanities major next year, which I will falsely proclaim is my true passion

FTFY, you fucking leaf

Attached: metric.png (543x4640, 2.17M)

Fuckoff shill. No aerospace engineer in the US designs or builds anything in imperial units.

I will take 5 hand lengths of lumber, user. The reason is that American's are too authoritarian to use metric units. Jimmy Carter tried to help, but the people refused.

No but your vendor does which means you have to convert all their units into metric

Not true user. furlongs/fortnight is an acceptable measure of speed in American aerospace engineering.

What is I-19? That whole highway is a joke.

tbqh with you, in my experience America is pretty much 50/50 on the systems when it comes to engineering. And since I intend to only use the metric system whenever possible when I am hired as an engineer in the near future, and I imagine most of my colleagues will as well, I would say that at least in engineering it will be phasing out. But in sports it will be a millennia until they learn. Places like Home Depot will also never change because they cater to hillbillies.

Oh yea you're right. I like to measure things in rods myself.

not sure if canada should really be on that list

we are waiting for you bass ackwards putz's to change to our system

Myanmar and Liberia.
our greatest allies

>and there is nobody living there and ordering supplies in any unit of measure
finished your retarded statement for you

What would you be buying in an aerospace application that's not designed to metric sizes just so you can convert? Aerospace, not building a junkyard go kart.

Never seen that....usually knots, m/s, or mach

Agreed for the most part. Like I said, vendors hive you imperial units and that's the only thing they understand. But all the numbers I crunch are in metric and no one has an issue with that.

I find links and cables to be easier to explain to clients. A combination of rods and links is helpful to avoid having to discuss fractions.

You have to know both imperial, and metric to pass high school in the US. "Why isn't it officially adopted here?" Because it's just not that hard to learn both systems, and we'd have to change a fuck ton of stuff to fully switch over. IE all of our mile markers would have to be torn down, and replaced with kilometer markers.

The motors I spec out are in in-lb...or rather that's the units the vendor supplies...also the damn mil specs.....makes no sense imo but its what I have to work with

The real story on metric is not that “everybody” “acknowledged” its superiority. You all converted for trade reasons to a standardized system. We didn’t because we have the least integrated economy in the world. Cost/benefit, internal trade > external trade for the US and US only.

Oh, and in the private sector, every factory would have to alter the containers for their products meaning entirely new assembly lines.

Whats so fucking hard about it?

Take a foot, divide it in twelve equal units called inches. Now take an inch and divide it in half, thats one half inch. Divade that in half...its a quarter inch...divide that in half, an eighth...divide in half again...a sixteenth, again...a thirty-second...again, a sixty-fourth. Which is small enough for most blueprints.

Bonus question: how many sixteenths are in an inch?
>Inb4 16

American machinists and engineers use our "base 10" standard system (YES- dumb-fucks- decimal inches- which is what we use, now, like we used when we built the first atomic bombs- is "BASE 10"!)

>we are forced to be fluent in both the metric and imperial systems because America
Deal with it.

Attached: 1520619092421.gif (220x242, 2.78M)

iso9000, go cry somewhere else.

Moron

Learning a couple of units is not like learning an entirely new language you fucking cuck

Yeah user, but how many U's are in a foot?

>american education

The scientists at the manhattan project used metric you absolute mongoloid

The penguins wont allow it...

:^)

no user no. They were proud Americans who were fighting the tyranny of metric countries. They used proper measurements.

if you're too stupid to not be "fluent" in both systems within a week or less then engineering school is not for you my friend

>This is extremely frustrating because learning the imperial system is like learning an entirely new language. What will it take for

True I go to pharmacy school and we use metric system

Myanmar is the same country that's removing kebab. Truly the master race doesn't use the cuck (((metric system))).

Flight level is measured in thousands of feet across the world.

We use it all the time anyway, leaf.

That quick Canuck wit never fails to astound me.

None

Quit whining you fucking leaf and learn how to convert units.

As is barometric pressure...

I see the only only country that can say loud "Fuck you!" to anybody trying to change the way things work. Literally the best country, even considering that I had to adopt after moving here.

Google fucking converts shit for you...that other leaf is just a whiny bitch

As is temperature...

American here. We learn both as children. Why can't you as an adult?

Are you trying to make a point to me? Or are you just pointing out details that I didn't?
Either way, there are plenty of things in aerospace that use the imperial system.

There are 48/7 U in a foot.

What the fuck is a metric?

this map is literally fake news

The metric system is for idiots that need things to be base-10 just to do math.

>OMG guys, just switch! It's soooo much easier.

Attached: Moon landing countries .png (753x466, 90K)

I work in a US machine shop and we use both standard and metric depending on what our customers call for. If a bunch of midwestern hicks can manage working in both systems, im sure any aerospace engineer worth a shit can do the same

This reasoning is why all Americans are either cowboys or Indians and still believe electricity is black magic

Nigga, we discovered electricity.

Attached: Ben Franklin.jpg (1280x720, 137K)

Fuck off to reddit, faggot

Machinest here, you know nothing.

Was about to say that.
>black magic
>Checks flag
Nigga, that's what you think economies run on.

If you're too stupid to learn the system or convert units, maybe you're too stupid to be an engineer (which is pretty fucking stupid, desu).

The latter

Also wtf is wrong with 240v that proper countries all use? Its just another example of Americans shooting themselves in the foot coz muh exceptionalism

Really? Go to NYIT they take any grades as long as you're willing to take out loans.

you are racist against burgers

Attached: jis3hd93ndlvpd-95ndh30g8.gif (4692x2568, 2.71M)

Fair enough.

UK doesn't entirely use metric either.

We can have an outlet in the bathroom, you can't.

So n AN470AD4-4 rivet is 1/8" in diameter and 1/4" in grip length.

Hope this helps leafbro

How many Ounces in a pound?

You tell em! If you wanna see the only Goddam county to land on the moon just build yourself a time machine and dial in 1972

Infinite

>Countries that use metric
>Countries that have been to the moon
>Liberia, Burma

Pick one.

depends on what it is

so for the fags out there, is it more common to measure length in decimal meters, or decimeters? i just rarely hear measurements in decimeters

>This is extremely frustrating because learning the metric system is like learning an entirely new language.

>hey bro can you pour me a 365ml of water

You morons like increasing the risk of fatal shocks. 240v is for stoves and dryers, not every outlet.

I've been shocked a few times growing up, I'd probably be dead if I was in a shithole country.

Also the Brits basically have Christmas tree light grade wiring in their houses.

Americans will be on Mars in 6 years bucko! You guys are losing another first to us. Pathetic really.

Insert pepeforkinoutlet.jpg

>240v is for stoves and dryers, not every outlet

Bongs want their 240v vacuum cleaners and bendy bananas back. The EU made them use low power vacuums and eat unbent bananas.

Found the sandnigger

And they haven't figured out how to mix hot water and cold water yet. You get one or the other. Warm water? Blasphemy!

How are we supposed to make fun of you for being shorter than 6-feet if we don't use feet or inches anymore?

we've been metric since the 70's, we just didn't compel local jurisdictions to make the change due to the burdensome cost; but there's also a much simpler reason as to why we continue to use imperial,
because we can.
What the fuck are you gonna do about it?

Your heart is probably weak from all those burgers. 240v shocks don't even knock me out

I ran a 10k race once, which was dumb because its only 6.3 miles.

>Alex. I'll take what is Russia for 100$

You weigh 22 stones you neckbeard

the perimeters of metrics needs to be slightly modified if it is to be of any use, there isn't a single form of metric unit that matches the length/width of any object that naturally occurs in nature

only an autist would have thought these abstract, nonsensical measurements would be useful in real life... go ahead, try using your metric ruler and see if a centimeter actually matches up with any naturally occurring object

An AN4-4 bolt is 1/4" in diameter, and 1/2" in grip length.

Hope this helps leaf engineer!

Your dick

Survival depends on voltage and how dry your hands are. Skin resistance goes from under 100k ohms to several mega ohms. luckily, my hands were dry, but if it was 240v, I'd probably have got more than just a strong buzz.

How many cosmonauts have landed on the moon, retard?

Russians never walked on the moon. They landed a toy RC car on it, but that was overshadowed by the Chad Americans walking on it.

refute my claim, nigger faggot.

Literally no one

worldnewsdailyreport.com/trump-science-advisor-denies-apollo-moon-landings-ever-happened/