Does anyone else ever prefer DVD (or in some cases, VHS even) to Bluray sometimes...

Does anyone else ever prefer DVD (or in some cases, VHS even) to Bluray sometimes? I'm not trying to sound like some kind of retro hipster just for the sake of it, but I think there are certain aspects of the work that can be improved, subjectively, by the reduced fidelity. Sure, by any objective measure, the Blurays or later remaster releases tend to be "higher quality" with sharper images, clearer text, and of course color correction is another matter entirely, but there's just something about how the fuzziness and artifacts of certain lower quality transfers that increases the "realness" of the recording, at least to me. When things start getting too high quality, I just start seeing them broken down as their component as paint and pencil on celluloid, and not the fictional reality they're meant to represent.
Thoughts?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=xbZMqS-fW-8
d.hatena.ne.jp/type-r/20120706
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

The only reason I ever buy blu-ray is for bonus content material.

youtube.com/watch?v=xbZMqS-fW-8

I see your point, but for me fidelity is always king. Preservation of artist intent is important when it comes to storage mediums.

That was pretty great, especially the explanation of how different types of programming come into or out of style depending on how television sizes and setups change over the years.

DVD looks like shit on a 4k television

If anything, we probably owe VHS (and audio cassettes) for the term "rewind", because let's face it, it doesn't make sense with current media.

Redness is a jibbly DVD thing though.
d.hatena.ne.jp/type-r/20120706
I don't read moon so I don't know how they excuse it.

This.
Praying for the day we get lossless anime video.

The mom looks less fat on the bottom pic.

>I'm not trying to sound like some kind of retro hipster
That's exactly what you come off as though. I completely disagree. I've watched VHS anime on an old CRT somewhat recently and it was worse in every way compared to watching a Blu-ray on a HDTV.

Eww.
Yeah that shit dosen't look right. Some of the newer Japanese Blu-rays for ghibly flicks have a special color correctio technology applied to them but I have no idea what it does or if it would work on a software player.

You can always find ways to make your shit look more terrible. The same cannot be said in the other direction. If you want to watch your Blu-rays in VHS quality go watch it on a crt or record it to a VHS. Then run that VHS through FF and a rewinder approximately 20+ times so you can get the full experience of tape stretching and degradation.

If you think fuzziness=realness, that's a personal problem you'll have to sort out on your own.

>That's exactly what you come off as though.
Well except that's wrong because I actually justified my position and I'm not just saying it for some kind of artificial "I'm old enough to remember VHS therefore it's better" hipster street cred.

>If you think fuzziness=realness, that's a personal problem you'll have to sort out on your own.
So weird how you're getting triggered and bringing personal problems into this, when you get emotional like this it makes me think I'm onto something.

I varies from work to work. Sometimes the BD mangles the look, sometimes it improves it. Shit like being a shoddy upscale and even the type of style of the anime in question make a huge difference.

People that say older is ALWAYS better or vice-versa are too dogmatic.

>not being extremely dogmatic in all your beliefs

>not being so dogmatic you become a dog

You're retarded. Nostalgiafagging should be a bannable offence.

Depends on the TV

You're a fag, but I do prefer it didn't get color corrected

Im conflicted, right one has more clean colors, but i do like the unsaturaded warm ones on the left one, but it has usually ghostling and frame blending as well of being an analogue source.

Oh nevermind, i didnt knew the warm red tint in old releases was the result of bad transfer, sad cause i kinda like the red tint in some scenes.....

Maybe if they could do a balance between the two color spectrums, cause i dont like when remasters do "bleach up" the colors to match modern anime.

This is because it wasn't meant to be seen at such high resolutions. Even movies have that problem sometimes you can see stage hands or equipment in the distance that previously was hidden by the lower resolution. There are plenty of ways to get the same quality reduction by scaling or noise/movie filters. Or just copying it onto a VHS.

Having as close to lossless formats is a good thing though as you can always reduce quality after the fact but it is very hard to reconstruct the original from a very lossy copy.

It just means you have a bad scaler.

>no linear scaling
>low bit rate & shitty codec
>shitty mastering

DVD is pretty bad these days.

>don't watch old anime if they didn't get a BD rerelease anymore

The early/mid 00s are like a black hole for me now.

>film resolution
>film projector resolution
>low

>make jokes
>get called triggered
Some people really need to lighten up.

The problem was that they fucked up the analog to digital transfer because they didn't do the color calibration correctly.

A lot of movies did get BD releases, though. I just watched Metropolis the other day and it looks pretty damn good. It helps that the Tezuka style works well with clean, digitally colored characters.

Scanlines and warmer colors really do help. Blu-Rays of anime are good because of what kind of remaster tech allows you to do nowadays but sometimes that high quality is just TOO HIGH and let's you see things you shouldn't be able to

It's not rare to see the shadow of one cel on top of another in BD remasters(pic related).

I downloaded G-Gundam BDs the other time around, resized them and put them in a dvd to play them on tv. The image quality is still there the resolution is just lower and the CRT works it's magic to make it the best experience.

Same happens with old games, that's why we have boards like

I cannot express just how much I hate pseuds who don't know what they're talking about like you.

Newer is better, GTFO

Old anime made use of the screen to get the best visuals out of it's image

movies are normally not stuck in the 480p hell

I think the problem with the remastering, not the issuing format.