When did you realize that Japanese manga is better than American comics? It was 1995 for me

When did you realize that Japanese manga is better than American comics? It was 1995 for me.

Never. I always knew they were equally bad.

>I win because I hate everything

>bringing Sup Forums shit here
No, fuck off.

JoJo's ripoff comic

>that little fucked up fork

My point is that neither medium is better than the other, they are both equally good. There are a plethora of shit manga, much like there are a plethora of shit comics.

>they are both equally good
Wrong. The level of the average mangaka is higher than the average American artist. American comics have exceedingly simplistic paneling and an extremely narrow range of stories. Japan also has a stronger amateur scene, whereas America is dominated by a few major companies that barely produce any new stories and instead rehash the same characters over and over.

That's not a real opinion.
Just because there's some bad stuff on both sides doesn't mean you can't make a difference between the two.

>1995
Damn you're old

Clearly I know nothing about what I'm talking about, so I'm going to post a smug and pretend I gave a good counter argument.

Is that before you existed?

Marvels shit right now they went full sjw

Dc is pretty good with Rebirth and Metal and the upcoming doomsday clock. Their only sjw comic is batgirl though you can count batman white knight but thats a non canon else worlds story about Joker getting cured and being a sjw to take down batman. its not even that bad its got some references to the old animated series and movies.

The Indies are good but theres only a few indy titles that get main stream like walking dead and saga and god country

American comics got dealt a heavy blow with the CCA.

Manga is brewing a similar situation in the background.

>The level of the average mangaka is higher than the average American artist
Read more manga, is easier to find manga with objectively shit art that it is on american comics.

Read more American comics, it's rare for them to have art that isn't objectively shit.

Both scenes are shit with occasional good releases.

>American comics have exceedingly simplistic paneling
pic was just off top of my head. look close and you'll see a bigger overall image hidden in the smaller images within each panel.

>and an extremely narrow range of stories.
sounds like you're only familiar with marvel, dc, and possibly image.

That paneling is shit

>sounds like you're only familiar with marvel, dc, and possibly image.
Nah, I've been reading all that plus Dark Horse, Mirage, Fantagraphics etc. since I was a kid

Both have some good and bad content.
Honestly, the way that low budget american or comic artist in general do Web comics to get attention and fame.
With that, it was more harder to know some good comics out there (before big web site host). Because of that factor and low budget comic do not have a staff (only the artist do everything), people tend to find comics worse, in general.
The main stream comic is bad as main stream shounen or something target for big market.
There's a movement in web comics in Japan, but it's still lukewarm. We get "better" manga because there's a lot of magazines and staff to do, because the demand and it's a cultural thing in Japan.

>look close
it's obvious at a fucking glance and it isn't impressive at all

>American comics have exceedingly simplistic paneling
Simplistic != bad, not everything must be cool doodles and spread pages.
Shit like Pax Americana and Omega Men have better paneling than 95% of manga.

>Pax Americana
Get out, you're not qualified to speak with other humans.

the "average" manga is absolutely horrid. You only read material that got popular enough to merit a translation but most manga is straight up unreadably bad.

>the "average" manga is absolutely horrid
Wrong
>You only read material that got popular enough to merit a translation
Wrong
>but most manga is straight up unreadably bad.
Wrong

If it's so awful why are manga more lauded in France than American comics?

Watch people from Sup Forums catch wind of this thread and try to defend their shit media.
Western comics are garbage, especially in this age.

Japanese comics > British comics > American comics

I'm old and have been reading comics for decades

>Simplistic != bad, not everything must be cool doodles and spread pages.
Even the japs do that better.

Manga wins due to the sheer amount of diversity. There are manga on pretty much any subject.

Pax Americana is one of the best works of sequential art and you know it.

This is a highly celebrated American comic. Every page looks almost identical to this, though some combine two or three panels together. But the format never changes. Americans can't into panel flow or convey a sense of movement.

That's good paneling though.

>.
That's great paneling though.

This page alone is more legendary than any of your weebshit garbage, pleb

please avoid being intentionally aggravating.

the flow is good but the paneling isn't, having every panel be the same size is lazy and doesn't convey anything

you could make a point if it was only this single page that it makes it unique but apparently it's always like this

Just by sheer volume it's obvious that the nip comic scene is going to have a lot more rotten eggs compared to the sheer volume. The good ones comparatively outdo the bad ones, though.

at least everyone agrees that western cartoons are objectively better than degenerate anime

I'm generally curious, but are licensing issues a great deal or something that they can't implement a live-action property into a manga via a crossover? I would actually pay to see a Kamen Rider giving special lessons to the BNHA main cast.

>Read more American comics, it's rare for them to have art that isn't objectively shit.
Not really if you look at the average current Image/DC/Marvel/DarkHorse/AnyRemotlyRespectedPublisher the art tend to be at very least anatomically correct, and with some basic understanding of perspective, to find art as bad as the one you can find your average Yaoi manga you need to look into truly shit publishers like Bluewater or similarly irrelevant publishers.

>he doesn't understand why the 3x3 grid is important

Nah. The level of American comic makers is lower across the board. Japan may have more titles, but they have an higher average skill level. Japan is a country where comics have been a mainstream form of media since well before the 19th century. Consequently, they're standard is a lot higher and more developed. They even make comics for instructionals on what to do against North Korean missile launches. Comics are a huge part of Japanese identity. Americans are at a distinct disadvantage. Essentially, Japan is a country that specializes in comics.

Come on, don't go posting the recolors of things like that.

I could like it if it was only this page and it was supposed to mean something but if it's everywhere then it's just a shitty habit and nothing else

>early FKMT
don't cherrypick

>another Sup Forums attempt to save face

>Implying it isn't an Sup Forumsnon

Are you sure?

I like silver age comics more than most modern manga but modern manga over most modern comics

There isn't any japanese manga publisher as patrician and prestigious as Fantagraphics.

It can be both.

Why the fuck people love this shitty tumblr art so much? I don't want to go full Sup Forums but why hate your nose that much?

it's supposed to be bad I think (and it is)

>Why the fuck people love this shitty tumblr art so much?
They don't. It's selling really really bad.

>the art tend to be at very least anatomically correct, and with some basic understanding of perspective
No, not really. And something being anatomically correct doesn't mean it's good art. In fact, it often veers into uncanny valley level shit because of the fact that they try to go for photo realism. It's a western concept that is highly flawed and severely limited. Most western comics look like pic related. And that's not even getting into their horrendous photoshop coloring.

Holy shit what kind of abomination is that?

They don't want to admit they follow a SJW infected shithole of a hobby, were deviant tier art and twitter posts are things that guarantee you a career in the feild.

Is that a meta joke or something?
>several layers of high

The only joke here is professional American comic artists.

This is I, robot all over again.

That doesn't make sense, it's not like half the work published by Fantagraphics is produced by people who work there. They just distribute it.

Posting Power Girl is cheating.

Misquoted, meant for

Alan Moore is too, considering he isn't American.

Is posting anything from the '90s cheating, too?

>Liefeld

>comics

Are foreign comics considered cheating in general?

It's an American comic, dingus.

That kind of panelling isn't something you can just chalk up as a habit or laziness. It's a deliberate decision and really lends itself well to the comic's use of repetition and makes the multi-panel moments stand out a lot more than they would otherwise, not to mention how it stands out as unique among other western comics as well. A more restrained style isn't automatically worse than something more dynamic.

t. comic pleb who's read like 3 series

Is it really considered American if they had to hire an Englishman to salvage it?

>tfw used to love iron man until riri williams
;_;
When can they kill her off and bring Stark back?

I like The Killing Joke, but the paneling is bad. It doesn't add anything to the story whatsoever and it's hardly the only American comic to look like that.

>And something being anatomically correct doesn't mean it's good art.
I didn't say it was good art, just better on average, since at least they tend to have the basics down even if the end result is still lacklustre.
Also manga is not above shitty attempts at photo realism.

Considering that I've never been a fan of American comics...

>that manga section
This is bait, right?

I like both for different reasons. Really only plebs don't draw inspiration from both or have the ability to appreciate all comics from around the world. I don't appreciate your efforts to raise one country's productions as greater than another when art will always be about what people own individual shit tastes are.

Tintin representin yo. Capt. Haddock sends his regards.

>tfw so few can manage anything close to Toriyama

I like comics from all parts of the world but the Japanese comic industry is on a whole nother level compared to American comics. I grew up reading American, British and Japanese comics of all types.

I don't really see any glaring issues with anatomy or perspective there, main issue here is that the artist seem to be hellbent in drawing squirrel girl as ugly as possible, but that's just a (bad) stylistic choice.

It's like comparing apples to oranges. Japanese and American comics measure themselves against different metrics and cultural backgrounds. Americans comics tend to be much more character driven and explore the world around them. Whereas Japanese comics tend to be much more story driven and especially because of Japanese social collectivist culture are more about multiple characters interactions defining their personas.

Don't be a pleb.

>it's a "if you love manga then you hate comics" episode.

>Americans
Alan Moore is English. Brian Bolland is English.

>Americans comics tend to be much more character driven and explore the world around them. Whereas Japanese comics tend to be much more story driven

Alex, I'll take bullshit for 1000

>Japanese comics tend to be much more story driven
Jesus christ could you BE any more wrong

It's intentional though. It mirrors the opening panels in reverse to give a sense of closure to the story through a visual cue that feels cyclic. Alan Moore did the same thing with a famous issue of The Watchmen which was focused around Rorschach where the paneling was a mirror of itself at the halfway point of the issue (much like a Rorschach blot is reflection symmetry)

That you didn't immediately complain about it being the fucking horrendous new recoulouring of the Killing Joke from it's old high-contrast style for Nolan babbies shows your inexperience.

>It's intentional though
Yeah and it's intentional on the hundreds of other pages in the book that use the same exact layout. It's lazy and it's shit.

We can go further

You are too young and ignorant to understand the stylistic greatness of the nine-panel.

How old are you, kid? Don't lie.

32 years old.

Layouts aren't just about the panels themselves, but what's in them. The same arrangement of panels can communicate different things simply by what is placed within them.

What the fuck you're younger than me
Shut up and get out
Go read your shitty panels

>EVERY SINGLE PAGE IN THIS BOOK HAS AN ALMOST IDENTICAL 3x3 PANEL LAYOUT BECAUSE IT'S ARTISTIC

I'm of the mind that no one can top Belgian comics. Although in America a lot of them are not as well known, most of the world probably knows Lucky Luke, Spirou, The Smurfs, Gaston Lagaffe and Asterix the Gaul as much as Goku or Pikachu. The sheer density of world renown characters that have emerged form such a tiny nation makes them one of the most artistically dense places in Europe.

Also I'm pretty sure le Petit Spirou was an innovator in the reaml of /ss/ (straight shota)

yes

What's your problem? I'm just saying that using a repeated panel layout isn't an automatic death sentence for a comic, it can still be used effectively when you consider the composition within individual panels.

Japan has more famous characters across the world and is a tiny island nation. All the stuff you listed is only known in the western world (and pretty much only the smurfs is the only one known mainstream) whereas Japanese characters are known all throughout asia and the west alike.