Houseki no Kuni

should i start reading the manga of Houseki no Kuni? after watching the first 3 episodes i am not sure i want to spoil it.

I read a few pages and it seems to me that the anime does a lot of scenes better. like Phos talking to the snail.

It's true, the anime does a great service to a few of the scenes, and is even better at the pacing, timing, and display of background information and development.
Should you read it? Well, it'll definitely spoil what's going to happen next. But who knows, maybe knowing what's coming will be... nice. To have the emotional impact hit a second time, but now in full colour.
It's a decent story, you'll enjoy it. I'd say do it, unless you really want what's next to be a surprise.

Another thing that's far more different is dialogue in the manga, since they actually refer to each other using a male gendered pronoun very frequently. Something that the anime seems to be avoiding at all costs for some reason.

>the anime
Only the subtitles. The Japanese dialogue is still heavy on pronouns like "ore", "boku" and "kare".

I'm just glad they're not translating it to she or xer.

Someone had a screen cap of a xer sub, not sure if it was just for trolling or not.

Wonder why the subs wouldn't stick with just using "he" like the manga does. Are people really that touchy about it?

Pretty sure that guy just edited that cap himself.

i have read the first 2 now and i dont see the male pronoun used. are there multiple translations?

also i will not rad the manga. the black and white is not doing any of this story justice. in the anime everything shines and looks wonderful. in the manga all the gems are dull. i will just read from the point where the anime ends.

I will always say read the manga.

Whatever floats your boat. Watching the first two episodes made me binge the entire thing.

so this is like steven universe done well?

Sure.
It's Steven Universe without Steven. Or any humans at all. And the gems act more like flippant teenage girls. And have more reasonable motivations and development.

Also we're only three eps in, but it's about to get a tiny bit dark, Phos is gonna see some shit, and some things.

In my opinion, the atmosphere the manga gives directly contrasts that of the anime. One is colorful and cheerful while one is silent and dreaded. I love the paneling and the creative use of contrast in the manga. Pic related is the scene where Phos is being put back together this episode.

They are similar only in the sense that the main characters are gem people, otherwise the themes and antagonists and plotlines are completely different to the point where they have nothing else in common.

I suppose to add to that Phos' development as a character feels a little similar to Kaneki from Tokyo Ghoul's, at least in the sense that both of them are fucking useless at the start but realizations that if they don't get their shit together their friends are going to die causes them to straighten the fuck up over time and eventually move from "lovable idiot" to "respected leader" status.

fuuark. i geuss iam gonna read ahead anyway

Kinda helps when you're constantly strapping on new, more powerful body parts.
Too bad about the side effects of that, though.

okay.
SO HOW THE FUCK DID THAT SLUG SURVIVE.
a slug doesnt get smaller from salt. it fucking melts and dies.

I like the anime better than the manga to be honest. If I were you I would wait for the anime to end.

3D animation is improving

You'll understand next episode. Or if you read the manga.
Your call.

stick to the anime to keep spoilers away.

sensei is some kind of god from the moon right?

this sorta implies they just melted him and put im in a cast. While the anime looks just like an artistic way of showing that they reasembled him.

which translations use male pronouns. the one on mangafox doesnt.

i believe fan translations start with mixed pronouns but then just use male ones altogether

snail a cute