Violet Evergarden

youtube.com/watch?v=BcgxyvX1rVU

Director: Taichi Ishidate
Series Director: Haruka Fujita
World View Setting: Takaaki Suzuki (Strike Witches World Setting)
Art Director: Mikiko Watanabe (Maid Dragon Art Direction)
Color Setting: Yuka Yoneda (Maid Dragon Color Design)
Director of Photography: Kouhei Funamoto (Violet Evergarden CM and PV 2 director of photography)
3D Director: Rin Yamamoto (Chuunibyou demo Koi ga Shitai! director of photography)
Little Goods Setting: Hiroyuki Takahashi (Hibike! Euphonium 2 instrument setting), Minoru Ooda
Editing: Keigo Shigemura (Chuunibyou demo Koi ga Shitai!)
Music Producer: Shigeru Saitou
Music: Evan Call (Jikan no Shihaisha)
Music Production: Lantis

Anyone looking forward to Fujita's debut? Hopefully she'll balance Ishidate out.

benis

This is the so called godly animation? It's nothing special judging by that PV.

Honestly not that impressive in terms of animation for a PV, but the art is gorgeous.

Will anyone ever catch up to Kyoani in animation? They are pulling further and further ahead and will be lapping the rest of the industry soon.

Saber?

>They are pulling further and further ahead and will be lapping the rest of the industry soon.
Hardly. (You're just baiting for yous aren't you?)

Previous thread

Why is saber there?

A few studios have higher peaks when it comes to animation. Bones, flophouse, trigger, sunrise, a1, even shaft. Kyoani is consistent but not the best.

Hey falseflagger.

Does anyone have that "how to kill a show" image?

I want to teach her how to smile gain

Please don't insert your shitty meme waifu here

This is all thanks to Netflix, the best streaming service provider for all your anime needs.

admit that she is a saber clone

This, but unironically.

And saber clone of Ramza.

It's worse than saber clone
This design was overused even before saber.
Same goes purple eyed brownie with red clothes.
Kyoani was always bad with original character design

ultimatemegax hates kyoani now for whoring themselves out to Netflix.
But then again, what would one expect from a studio run by women?
Westerners have strong large gaijin dicks. Not small little nippon micropenises.

KyoAni was always bad with any sort of original content, not just character design. And it still is. They don't have any auteur among their staff.

>Ishidate is cucked out of his own project
LMAO the Nolan fanboy is exposed at KyoAni. They can't trust him to solo this project so they bring up a new girl to actually do the work.

Violet Evergarden is 1:1 her LN description. It's a very well adapted design.

"Series director" is a mistranslation. Fujita is not a director (監督 - kantoku) but more like an assistant taking care of all the little details while Ishidate focuses on the big picture. Her title is シリーズ演出 which is more aptly translated as "series production manager".

>Director: Taichi Ishidate
>Series Director: Haruka Fujita
b-but who's storyboarding?

At least she's rising

I hope the threads won't be this cancerous when it airs

I don't understand moon. If it's the same position as the one Yamada had in Eupho then Ishidate is cucked and BTFO. Read the interviews about Eupho, Yamda did the heavy lifting while Ishihara was busy fucking around with the writer.
Fujita is fucking Ishidate out of his own project. Kek, he had it coming with his shitty debut.

didn't they changed the clothes and the colours of the designs? She look less like a saber clone in the LN design

The individual people assigned for that task on an episode by episode basis, usually the episode director, following Ishidate's indications.

>expecting a KyoAni show to not have cancerous threads
you should filter them the moment it first airs

KyoAni tends to give each episode's storyboards to a single episode director. Only Tamako Market was mainly storyboarded by Yamada and TLS was 100%Yamada. Everything else has multiple hands on deck.

Nichijou was ok

So ultimatebetamax and Kevin were wrong as always?

>KyoAni tends to give each episode's storyboards to a single episode director.
Oh, did not know that. Thanks.

Style over substance shit

>this meme again
What are Keion, Tamako, Chu2, Eupho and Maid Dragon?

That is just not true. Hibike Euphonium is very much an Ishihara anime, with Yamada's influence only visible in the finishing touches of the series, chiefly frame composition/photography. You just don't understand anime or film production, that's all.

To be honest it looks like full metal alchemist with girls.

Obviously.

They just guess things just like all the other gaijins.

>chiefly frame composition/photography.
Actually, just photography.

>Keion, Tamako, Chu2, Eupho
Extremely similar character designs. Same goes to Suzumiya.
>Maid Dragon
It was shit. Blatant renge clone ffs

>Ishihara anime
Compare Eupho with Haruhi S2. Or with Clannad. It doesn't have most of the Ishihara shots, the long blank setup scenes aren't there. Most of the Yamada shots are omnipresent throughout.

Of those only Tamako is an anime original, and it sucks.

Yamakan should have directed it.

We were talking about adapting character designs for anime.

But only one of those is their oc

The director is not involved only with the mise en scene details. Character acting (not just animation but also VAs), story progression, all this falls within the purview of the director.

I'm talking about the LN description. The LN design itself is less accurate to the description than the anime one, but it's not that big of a change.

As long as it makes my pipi hard, I'm good this overused design

I expanded that discussion beyond character design when I replied. Reply to the guy talking only about chara design next time.

Srs question. Why would you expect a single guy responsible for storyboards of the whole show ? This just doesn't happen outside of some really freak occurrences (Ping-Pong I think)

Nah Saber is a ripoff of Agrias

That's what I told you, Ishihara in Eupho spent most of his time with the Lantis guys, Hanada and Takeda.

Also, people's styles change over the years. Compare HIbike Euphonium with Chuunibyou, not Clannad or Haruhi.

And?

Even when you compare Hibikek S1 with Chu2koi you're going to miss most of the stuff that marks Ishihara since the Inuyasha days. The guy didn't change his whole career.

Chunibyo is more comparable to Phantom World. Solo Ishihara.

user believe it or not, I actually forgot that PW is a thing.

So is she a prostitute or something? She's pretty hot, but her design feels completely out of place.

I wouldn't have expected this show to have fapbait.

I think you're confused to be frank. Let's use a filmmaking analogy: a director can choose to shoot the film himself, or he can choose to delegate that work to a cinematographer. He can choose to design the sets himself, or he can delegate that work to a specific set designer.

That is what happened with HIbike between Ishihara and Yamada, and now with Ishidate and Fujita. Yamada was responsible for the technical details of the series, while Ishihara focused more on the flow of the narrative as a whole.

>To be honest it looks like full metal alchemist with girls.

Feels like it.

>Why would you expect a single guy responsible for storyboards of the whole show ?
Where did I ever imply I expected a single person to do it?
Have you watched more than 10 anime?
The usual behavior is having a couple of well experienced animators (either on the job of director, storyboard director, supervising animation director) overseeing the storyboard, while allowing less experienced or newcomers directors to compose freely on mid-season episodes. This can go from one to usually four different "storyboarders" on 2cour series.
When PVs credit someone for storyboard it's either the director or someone who's going to be responsible for key episodes. The lack of mention on this OP is why I asked.

I can already feel the man-tears falling

You're still missing the point.
> the Inuyasha days
He was only an episode director back then. His directorial debut is Air. Again: 演出 = manager (similar to line director/producer), 監督 = actual director.
And regardless, his style did change.

Why? Apparently the MC is not a robot but an ordinary girl. Women soldiers ruin my immersion.

Why?

To be honest, I, when talking about anime couldn't give a shit about the narrative. I want the scenes, framing, composition and cinematography (I don't understand what it entails). Anno directing Eva for me is the elevator scene, the Rei under the moon shot, the Berserk shot not the nonsensical story about boys and gods. The same for Eupho, the performance in S1, the mountain scene, the Kumiko fearing rejection scenes are what made the anime not the mundane daily life.

Looks like gypsie to me

I like that part where she stands at attention on the boat instinctively

Violet a cute

>with Yamada's influence only visible in the finishing touches of the series
Except Yamada's style completely overwhelms his presence on every significant shot.
If Ishihara's directing is only perceivable through technicalities, it's hard "his" anime.

Will KyoAni get rid of the huge axe shit?

I wish they the series stays more grounded instead of getting into the typical overly large weaponry.

Because I am aware the sex differences in physical aptitude exist. If you want her to be that strong make her not human in some way. A mutant, a super-soldier of some sort, a robot.
The differences in strength, especially upper-body strength, between the sexes is so large that 95% of men are stronger than 95% of women, that is to say, a guy that is weaker than 95% of men is still stronger than 95% of women. Even highly trained women athletes are incredibly weak. Biology is a bitch.

I know women beating up men is a thing in movies now, but it's usually played for laughs. In a drama it just ruins my immersion.

No, Ishihara's directing is quite obvious when it comes to characterisation and character acting, for example. Read the whole reply chain.

I think she'll use a bayonet instead

>episode directors don't matter
This is your brain on- oh wait.

Megax doesn't hate kyoani for "whoring themselves out", he hates this show because he is a crunchy shill that can't praise a show that is the competition's exclusive. Look at how much he ranted about piracy when crunchy was the only way to get anime legally but he still goes and say netflix and amazon are killing anime even if they probably pay more than crunchyshit.

>the mountain scene
That was Fujita, not Yamada.
>Anno
What you visually associate with Anno is actually Anno + Masayuki + Tsurumaki. Example,
>Rei under the moon shot
That's Masayuki.
>I don't understand what it entails
That much is obvious.

What a retarded post.

You are pretty bad with reading interpretation, aren't you?

Cause you mentioned 2 people responsible for the show as a whole. But I guess I misunderstood then.

Fujita, Oogawa and Yamamura's episodes all looked like a Yamada episode, so that's what,6 out of the original 13 that are so stylistically similar to the first episode?
Compare that to the Takemoto, Ishihara and Kawanami episodes that look all different and you'll see who was more influential on the look and feel of the show.

>Fujita, Oogawa and Yamamura's episodes all looked like a Yamada episod
Yeah, no. It looks like you're just a Yamada cunt-licker.

>all looked like a Yamada episode
WOAH, so they all looked similar to Ishihara's work?

Plot =/= narrative.

It's honestly for the better. From what I saw in Hibike, Ishihara managed everything concerning the show as a whole (artstyle, tone, designs, music) while Yamada handled the story and character more. If it's the same for VEG, I think Fujita will do a great job with the story and Ishidate will make it look great like KnK did.

what's the difference?

Plot = the sequence of events in a story.
Narrative = the story itself, in toto, including the way it is executed.

It was really hilarious seeing them all get collectively devastated in the butt when the Netflix announcement was made, and how ultimatemegax was totally wrong about who matters in a production committee.

All KyoAnus directors produce the same looking shit. I don't know why you fanboys bother arguing about it.

I think you are forgetting that Ishihara was Yamada's mentor so a lot of her style actually comes from him. Compare Hibike to Tamako and Chuuni, you'll see it's a lot more like Chuuni.

>Ishihara's directing is quite obvious when it comes to characterisation and character acting
I won't claim to be an expect on Yamada and Ishihara's styles but every kyoani drama follows the same pattern of animation when it comes to these two things. There are key scenes from Clannad that were clearly modified to show emotion through a subtle body movement rather than a cry face and the same is perceivable on most of keion's "serious" storyboards.

Not really, refer to Haruhi episode 2 TV order to see what makes a Ishihara episode. Refer to Tamako Market episode 1 for a Yamada episode. What do the Hibikek episodes that I mentioned look like? And I'm talking about how things are laid it not about art style.

They really don't, people get influenced by others though. It's a natural thing, no one puts Kobayashi and KnK next to another and claims they look similar.

I am not even a fanboy. The actual fanboys even got one of their buddies on the Sup Forums mod team to camp a previous VEG thread to ban me several times because they didn't like that I criticised their precious studio and pointed out they themselves are a bunch of scumbags.

>the same looking shit
It doesn't look the same to the trained eye, sorry to break it to you.

Keion was when Yamada was "green". If you want peek Yamada, TLS is her style. There's a big difference between the scene when Tamako runs away from the bridge in the movie and any Ishihara running scene.

Nice blog, whiny cunt.

You don't understand, an image macro from 2011 said all KyoAni looks same so it all looks the same.

This guy gets it. There's also the fact that Ishihara was himself heavily involved in K-On's production, especially the first season. (He's credited as "Advisor" but he did a lot more than that.)