My Hero Academia Thread

Why the dislike for this?

It's very average, but the fans overrate the living jizz out of it with their headcanons. Makes it out to be netter than it really is. Kinda like Rick and Morty, but less intense, definitely getting there though.

Even as a fan of the series i can understand a lot of the hate.

-Deku spent way too much time being a little bitch as the MC, meaning you had to get a ways into the first few volumes before he wasn't annoying which is something you want to avoid in the protagonist of a story.
-The shonen genre tends to get hate just based on how formulaic it can be/is
-A few of the characters feel either totally 1 dimensional, or are like characters that have been done before but better

For what?

My Hero Academia

"Average" in today's climate might as well make it an 8/10 considering all the shit we have to sift through.

because it's a really shitty manga

>by the books shonen
>fanbase constantly hypes it up so when people try it out they're immensely disappointed
>These disappointed people shitpost in BNHA threads and then the fanbase and these people argue constantly

I don't think you understand how the concept of average works.

Good to see you don't read the manga

My Hero Academia

You forgot the most important point:
-The villains for the most part completely suck ass

>N-NO HOW DARE HE INSULT MUH MASTERPIECE COMIC FOR TEENS

I admit it's a real nitpick reason for me not reading/watching it, but I really, really dislike the fact that the powerless protagonist got power inheritance. I thought he's going to go full batman and had to use his brain and tools against his opponents. When I knew that I instantly lost all interest in this series.

No I can see why, especially since it's in every other shonen ever. Nips have a hard-on for predestination but it's a really shitty trope.
When they showed the straw hat in OP belonged to Roger I lost all interest in Luffy's character.

Hard to care when the protagonist's power is above everyone else's power. The setting is dumb too and I hate special schools

Too mild, even the moments where i felt the hype should be at its peak i felt nothing, its really wierd, like, this dude deku is giving his all in a fight shouting "PLUS ULTRA!!!" while crying and saving a baby or whatever, in teory that should be very exciting, but in the mean time i was falling asleep and i think the reason for it is that i never felt that any of that crap was real or that they were in any danger in the first place

Because Ast/a/aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa is alpha unlike Decuck

Is this canon? Why is crying a copious amount of mucous?
Any infection?

It's not about predestination, it's more about the MC's strength/power. For me it's such a shitty cop-out when suddenly a hero said to the powerless MC 'hey you don't have a power right? here take my power' after all the buzz about being powerless means you're lower than scum. Yes I know he couldn't use his power fully even until now, but I was expecting he would build his batcave and started making crazy gadgets to fight the criminals and to show the other heroes that a powerless guy could also become a hero.

it combines the two things Sup Forums hates

shounenshit
and capeshit

It seems like a new phase that Sup Forums is going through. The new meme opinion is that you're supposed to hate BNHA

>I thought he's going to go full batman

>HOW DARE YOU NOT LIKE MY FAVORITE SHONEN MANGA
kid you need to leave

This is all because the mods let Naruto threads pass.
You give them a hand they take the arm.

It's not very good. I'm baffled that so many people accept this trite when it's no different from Naruto.

Different guy here, I would like to see something like a jap batman too. The idea could have worked in the early bnha world but a lot of retardedly op quirks have come out since due to power creep battle shonenshit. SnK is another manga that had potential for that underdog kind of feel until it quickly devolved into generic shonen cancer with titan shifting. The closest I ever hear anyone here call a jap batman is Darker Than Black Hei and he still has fucking borderline op superpower relative to its world.

For all their talks about "guts" and "believe in yourself!", japs fucking hate physical hard work.
Even series like Kenshiro or Jojo have characters who are superstrong because they were born like that.
The only one where it's focused on and looked positively is Mob 100 and it was made by someone who not too long ago was an outcast in his field.

I feel that has a lot to do with it too. Someone recently made a thread asking how to watch Shippuden from start to end without filler and within 5 posts someone was giving legitimate advice, I was stunned that it even got replies. DBS threads probably have the lowest iq posters on average for the whole board and they are everywhere.

People say they want a Batman are usually people who don't understand Bats to begin with. Anyone who reads comics can tell you that Bats is just as OP and filled with bullshit than anyone else.

What power creep. Among the earliest quirks introduce is a girl who can create anything just by thinking it.

That was the mangaka's idea, but then the producers told him it would seem boring, so they invented one for all.

These Injustice comics were pure shit just like the games

Quirk is magic with a few forced limitations here and there.

Oh believe me m8 I know that damn well. I don't read the comics but I know he pulls a lot of shit. In the DCAU tv shows I thought he was best in the early TAS before Superman was ever part of it, and by JL and JLU he was a walking asspull the writers were desperately trying to keep relevant but still had some great moments like with Ace. I despise the current ultra dark and edgy Batman and Robin in the new animated movies. I really liked the two Dark Knight Returns movies with him older, those were handled pretty well, also that Assault on Arkham movie.

But back to anime the typical shonen has so much more asspulling than pretty much any of the incarnations of Batman. At least western writers try to come up with explanations for how he pulls off the shit he does.

>Anyone who reads comics
>posts Injustice

So, not you then.

Quirks are practically divine intervention.
It's a convenient way to bestow power on a character and freely decide how powerful they need to be.
If you call asspull on anything in BNHA you might as well stop reading because the manga is built on a firm foundation of not questioning shit.
The criticism that would be valid is bad writing, but I've seen little of valid criticism in that way.

I'm not so sure that's it.
You've got 2 basic outlooks on life. One view is that the people who are great are born that way, the other is that they made themselves that way. If you're in a place like japan where it's so easy to fall into the cracks, which world view do you want to see reinforced in your comics?

Probably, because the last time I read superhero comics was ages ago. It's not becoming 'an actual/literal batman' it's more of the principle of 'being a hero without a superpower'. It's always fun for me when an MC beats superpowered fucks using the power of SCIENCE.

I see. Make sense when you're targeting kids and teenagers.

If you read the oneshot, you would know it would've been shit if he'd written it that way.

The second?
You realize pretty early in life if you're born with some kind of special gift or not, unless you're an autist who still hopes to be the long lost prince of someshit. So by 20 or something, you already know that if your life is shit you'll either have to work hard or stay in it.
With the hardwork way, you'll always have room to improve. It's actually one of the things that made Batman popular, kids could see themselves growing up to be him easier than thinking they'd be Superman one day.

Injustice is just unconcentrated Bat-wank. Its no different from the comics really

This Batgod shit is pretty recent though, probably started in the late 90s with Morrison.

Because its world building falls flat. 80% of population should have super powers and I want to see ambiguous crimes, like some people use mind control abilities to make billion dollar deals or use some pheromone abilities to seduce women. Just to make a comparison from just this season, Kekkai Sensen & Beyond (s2) manages to be a better super ability show.

>People have super powers
>they should be committing crimes

These are the types of people who criticize this manga folks

This. If too many people like something I just start to hate it.

11/10 in my book.

INJ2 had the most savage breakdown of his character in the latest issue.

>see mixed reception for BnHA outside of circlejerk threads
>w-why does everyone hate it?
fuck off

It became popular outside of Sup Forums.

The entire backstory of Japan's original problem was that!

You didn't understand a thing of what he said.
Not surprised that people who like BNHA can't actually read.

That's no better than liking something just because it's popular.

So?

>born great or made themselves that way
That line is blurred in pretty much every popular shonen. Early Naruto was all about hard work but he ends up being the prodigal chosen one with half of the best bloodlines in existence, early Bleach has this and more with all of Aizen's and yhwh's keikakus since his very birth, One Piece turned Luffy into the reincarnation of Roger, DB has Goku be a magical warrior alien, YYH had to have him be a demon, and Jojo and Kenshiro were already mentioned and are in the same vein as Berserk. The japs don't want to see someone start from the bottom and always be physically lesser than most of the others in the story. The only shonen off the top of my head that didn't have some ridiculous asspull or power gap was FMAB, where the only special ability of the MC was clapping and most of the side cast were superior to him in every way. It's tiring.

Beta male MC

So you shouldn't let popular opinion influence your own.

>You didn't understand a thing of what he said.
What's there to understand when you don't even read the manga

>Why don't people like trash
rather obvious OP

>still missing the point

Keep going autismo.

This comes from someone who has just posted in one BNHA thread before this one and has just watched the 2 seasons available of the anime.

Is it normal that I didn't like anything before the tournament (and that arc itself), but found the Stain arc at least interesting/decent? Like things seem to be finally going to get good? Plus, is it normal and acceptable to like just Tsuyu and Himiko among the female characters (despite the latter barely appearing at all)?

And I'm guessing it's normal to like the music, since it's pretty much something out of Gundam Build Fighters.

>He doesm't get it but I do

Are you done?

So the only people in bnha who commit crimes are retards causing explosions everywhere because they feel like it and those who join super secret villain alliances to work as underlings for some big bad to get beat up by pro heroes? There's no subtlety in the world, everything is black and white while the majority of criminals are supposed to be publically invisible and trying to avoid getting caught. Of course it would be hard to have a shonen focus on this as the main story but it's completely ignored.

What the fuck does it mean "Is it normal"?
You wanna know if you're normal even though you're a 20+ dude watching cartoons for teens?
No, you're not normal, you're way behind your peers. Stop with this bullshit and go find a job.

The Stain arc was the show actually having a tiny bit of self awareness, but it was short and the stuff that made it good was forgotten as the story returned to generic beat up the bad guy.

That's kinda the point. It's a lot easier to accept your life being kinda shit if you think you were just born that way.

I love how you frequently keep changing your argument because you realize how flimsy it is

Why not? Everyone does it.

Wait, so that's Nippon's culture? "My life is shit because fate said so, nothing I can do about it, I'll just fap for a few more years then commit sudoku"?

At least Asta never cries.

I'm not even the same guy as

How can you know he changed the argument if you don't even know what it was in the first place?

He's not even trying anymore

>doesn't even know about the wait time

Fucking kid pretending to be an oldfag.
That's the shonenfag here.

is My Hero Academia the Steven Universe of anime? It really all matches up, including the later backlash after it steps into a more mainstream light.

It was the predominant outlook on life before muh capitalism and muh century of self.
Genetic and social determinism is a fact, not a self-fulfilling prophecy. The only way to climb the social ladder is by trickery and servitude. Hard work has almost nothing to do with it.

>trickery
It usually requires hard work, physical one even, to pull some major cheating.

>Retards still don't know you can turn this off

I want to turn retards off, where's your switch?

>the Steven Universe of
I'm not sure you even know what this means. Just explain your case instead of using flimsy comparisons.

I'm getting lost in all of the layers of merely pretending and stupidity. What are you even trying to say?

It really doesn't, it just requires you to be willing to play the role of the prostitute or the pimp.

>pimp
>not hard work

Sounds like you just wanna have an excuse.

You couldn't have missed the point harder if you tried

I'm not playing this game user.

None of this crap is real.

Does it have a liberal agenda?

>>people mad deku didn't end up like batman, who literally does nothing but survive by sheer deus ex machina and plot armor

While I don't mind what we got, the Batman route doesn't seem totally impossible. Maybe I missed it, but it doesn't seem like quirks influence the person's endurance, speed or stamina, so he could be probably equip himself with a few gadgets and be able to hold his own in a fight if he trains hard enough.

>everyone spontaneously develops super powers
>"ya guys no one will ever ever ever think of using their teleportation to rob a bank or be tempted to use it in any other situations for a quick gain"

delusion general

There are some good versions of batman, the much earlier ones before the hype defined the character. It's more that people are mad that there is no batman equivalent at all in any manga/anime. Deku would have been a good chance to do it, the fact it didn't happen doesn't make it bad but it's still generic and plot armor filled anyway.

>in the BNHA world being quirkless is rare but it's not a big deal since most quirks are useless so Deku being quirkless isn't a big deal
>Deku bitchs and moans about it causing his mom to feel guilty which results in her aging faster and becoming fat
>Deku cries constantly and bothers a guy who doesn't like him even considering him his best friend
>The plot starts when Deku is handed the most powerful quirk ever
>Even after this he still acts the same
The protagonist is awful so it's no wonder no one here likes it

That's because the fights are won by the opponents being super retarded and not so subtle plot armor.

They should DELET bnha threads just so Sup Forumsmblr goes away

You can just filter threads that criticize bnha retard.

read more manga nufag

I want to marry Deku and make him the happiest person in the world

Glad to see you make stupid assumptions with no real evidence? I do in fact read the manga.

>I want to see ambiguous crimes, like some people use mind control abilities to make billion dollar deals

While it makes sense to think that would happen, keep in mind that society already had a lot of time to adaptate to heists, frauds and scams with mind control and transformation abilities. Technology and support items to detect counterfeit or test whether someone is under someone else's control must be commonplace, and also the vast majority of people have their quirks registered as little children and must keep it that way if they want to be a part of society. If someone mind controls someone else to make them take out all their money from the bank, the police has a list of every fucker with mind control to check who could have been responsable. It aligns with what we know of their society being highly repressive.

>If too many people like something I just start to hate it.

This is Sup Forums in a nutshell. A den of hipsters.

>in the BNHA world being quirkless is rare but it's not a big deal since most quirks are useless so Deku being quirkless isn't a big deal
He didn't even have a shot at being a hero without a quirk.

>Deku bitchs and moans about it causing his mom to feel guilty which results in her aging faster and becoming fat
He kept shut about his insecurities for years, while still harboring the dream of being a hero as a serious possibility until middle school's last year. How is that bitching?

>Deku cries constantly and bothers a guy who doesn't like him even considering him his best friend
Ok that was retarded, but when they were very little they were actually friends, Bakugou started to act like a shit the moment the world gave him leeway to do so.

>The plot starts when Deku is handed the most powerful quirk ever
>Even after this he still acts the same
So you would have be preferred him to be hyper confident and a master of his quirk and his life right away?

>The protagonist is awful so it's no wonder no one here likes it
The madman might not be the most popular MC, but he's well liked.