Just started watching this show. Is it meant to be a satire?

Just started watching this show. Is it meant to be a satire?

>Absurdly high casualty figures in the millions for relatively minor battles
>Fetishism for Imperial Germany
>Beautiful teenager, with a 'best friend' with who his relationship is incredibly homoerotic, is considered to be the greatest military genius to have ever lived
>Alliance is a absurdly cynical and corrupt
>Technology is outdated even for the time it was made
>Yang and Reinhard are supposed to be tactical geniuses but every battle seems to be decided by whoever has the most ships
>Depiction of space travel and space combat makes absolutely no sense and makes Star Wars look like a realistic documentary
>An incredibly campy tone

Normally I would just assume all of this stuff is intentionally satirical but the fact that people talk about this show like it's War and Peace in space makes me wonder whether I'm being crazy.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_space_opera_media
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harden–Eulenburg_affair
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

What do you think it's supposed to be satire of? Itself?
Most of those are legitimate complaints, though.

A satire of Space Opera and the 'great man' interpretation of history.

Its absolutely unironic and the best and the best anime ever made.

They have absurdly high populations. Why is it so far fetched to assume there are many people on each ship that explodes?

and?

>Beautiful teenager, with a 'best friend' with who his relationship is incredibly homoerotic, is considered to be the greatest military genius to have ever lived
can gays not be generals?

kind of a plot point of the story

why do you say this?

>Yang and Reinhard are supposed to be tactical geniuses but every battle seems to be decided by whoever has the most ships
I see you havn't even watched the first episode yet.

>Depiction of space travel and space combat makes absolutely no sense and makes Star Wars look like a realistic documentary
its an anime not a science book.

It's 110 episodes remember that. also it;s from the 80's my dude

>War and Peace
no one really eat this up but you OP. Anyway keep watching then find out, or just drop it if you dont feel like it. There are reasons why it get a lot of hate threads on Sup Forums.

>>Absurdly high casualty figures in the millions for relatively minor battles
They are two massive space empires user, imagine the amount of military ready citizens they must have.

LOGH isn't space opera.
I wish people on this website would stop using that term, because it's clear that nobody knows what it actually means.

A tactical genius won't win you a fight if you're underpowered. The best he'll be able to do is retreat,

Anyway, the point of the show is man's inability to progress. The author probably took inspiration from the wars opposing Greek and Persia, and tried to portray the same story on an interplanetal scale.

so anime never had anything of value to offer

>War and Peace
What

>They have absurdly high populations. Why is it so far fetched to assume there are many people on each ship that explodes?
Because that many deaths is still ridiculous, it's ridiculous that they have a Stalingrad size mass death every few weeks and no one cares. I thought it was intentionally ridiculous to show the absurdity of war

That's pretty gauche wouldn't you say?

>can gays not be generals?
But it's not played in a matter of fact way it's played up in a campy and homoerotic way

>why do you say this?
They don't have cellphones and have paper readouts for everything despite having computer screens. That and the fact people in the empire live like 19th century peasants

>I see you havn't even watched the first episode yet.
What the one where Reinhard's brilliant tactical plan is to exploit the fact he has more ships than his divided enemy?

>its an anime not a science book.
I agree but again it seems intentionally absurd

Satire doesn't mean bad it just means satirical

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_space_opera_media

>Anyway, the point of the show is man's inability to progress.
Yes I agree and it seems to me that stuff like the casualty figures and battle tactics seem essentially absurd to play up this fact.

It's what people want space opera to mean. It's deliberately very grandiose is ways that most 'actual' space operas aren't.

>can gays not be generals
God forbid he finds out about von Steuben or, arguably, Frederick the Great.

I don't know either. War and Peace is actually, unironically written more like an anime than LotGH is, in that the characters are more fleshed out and less dry, and also includes more domestic drama and shy schoolgirls.

>makes star wars look -
Kill yourself. LoGH is more real than star treck.
>b-but they don't overtly use vertical navigation during travel across the linear galactic plane
>b-but the fights are 2-d
They literally aren't- the screen will most often show 2d formations but many show 3d formations and their commands and discussion is in 3d space. Kill yourself science fantasynigger.

>Starship Troopers
>Space Odyssey
>Red Mars
>Revelation Space

Is this trying to tell me there's no difference between hard SF and space opera? What a shitty list.

If it's not pulpy, it's not space opera. Wikipedia can suck a dick.

War and Peace itself is an overrated novel

Overrated in regard of?

Pro-tip: Anime is the spiritual successor or Golden Era Russian Literature.
You know which other is a anime, The Brothers Karamazov

>Evil space nazi empire
>Not pulpy

It's overrated in the sense of being not as good as Anna Karenina or much of Dostoevsky's best. It's still one of the greatest works of literature ever written.

But the empire is neither Nazis, nor evil.

>Evil space nazi empire
>Not watching the show

>Because that many deaths is still ridiculous, it's ridiculous that they have a Stalingrad size mass death every few weeks and no one cares. I thought it was intentionally ridiculous to show the absurdity of war
The number of casualties and the impact they have on the population's emotions are inversely related. Whats a few million dying to a population of 40 billion. That's a ten-thousandth of the population, which is itself about 1/100 the proportional losses of Stalingrad.

>That's pretty gauche wouldn't you say?
The only real problem here is your tastes. Other than the fact you misidentified Prussian influences as Imperial German.

>But it's not played in a matter of fact way it's played up in a campy and homoerotic way
Read up on some actual homosexual generals. "Campy and homoerotic" is a perfect description of them.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harden–Eulenburg_affair

>They don't have cellphones and have paper readouts for everything despite having computer screens.
Even today paper still has its uses. Sometimes its helpful to read something without having to worry about its battery.
>That and the fact people in the empire live like 19th century peasants
They live that way because the court does and they want to emulate it to climb the social ladder.

>What the one where Reinhard's brilliant tactical plan is to exploit the fact he has more ships than his divided enemy?
After he annihilated the majority of the enemy fleet by luring them into a trap exploiting the terrain to his advantage? Regardless, Reinhard is the second best tactician in the show after Wang. His real genius lies in his ability to gather extraordinary competent staff around him.

Do you genuinely not thing of LOGH as pulpy? It's hardly hard fucking sci fi

Sure it's not hard hard scifi, what's your point?
It's not trying to be.

You don't know what pulp means.

this is like watching montogari and complaining about the loli

>complaining about the loli
Haven't you heard? That's what Sup Forumsnons do now.

Each side has populations in the billions. And they are nearly all brainwashed into supporting war from birth.
Quite the opposite.
>>Beautiful teenager, with a 'best friend' with who his relationship is incredibly homoerotic, is considered to be the greatest military genius to have ever lived
So?
Both sides are absurdly cynical and corrupt. These people have insane amounts of wealth and power, it corrupts them to insane levels.
Examples?
I'm not even sure whether you are trolling or not. This is just wrong, really wrong. Remember when the Alliance was decimated even though they had higher numbers because they refused to converge their forces?
It's not perfect but it far more realistic than Star Wars.
It's an old as hell anime. Just read the books or maybe the new adaptation will be better. In fact, I urge you to read the books instead, they are so much better than the show. The story is not what is at fault, but yes the anime is very campy and outdated.

I find this criticism rather odd as it seems to me self-evident that the combat was never intended to be realistic in the first place; it's clearly meant to be 18th/19th century warfare just projected into space.

So you're mad because the platonic relationship between too characters isn't obviously gay enough for your taste, and therefore it's campy and homoerotic? You're going to be really disappointed when you find out Kircheis and Annerose basically wanted to fuck each other and Reinhard was just an innocent autist who only thought about war the whole time.

You must be new to speculative fiction if that detail is a showstopper for you.

No, surely not? Surely not from postwar Japan? I can't imagine why! Not in a million years!

What the hell do they teach you in Classics class these days? Do you even ancient Greece or Rome?

From a team of writers who grew up in postwar Japan? I can't imagine why they might have lingering conflicting thoughts on democracy. Can't picture it at all. It truly boggles the mind, doesn't it?

You're right, I did leave the lights on in my planet-sized space station.
Thanks, I'll go turn them off so its battery doesn't die.

See and actually watch the show.

See first comment.

Did the word "campy" change meaning while I wasn't looking? Can you just not get over the art style being older? If you watch it with a fake film grain filter would it seem more authentically old?