After watching the first episode, I'm about to drop the series...

After watching the first episode, I'm about to drop the series. But I thought I'd see if other people on Sup Forums agreed with the impression I got and also give a chance for those who have read the source material to address my concerns.

Basically, I can't stand the relationship between Elias and Chise. I hate how she's treated as a pet and a thing. I hate how she accepts it and feels grateful. It makes sense given the (brief) backstory that we're given, but it's not the logic that bothers me. It's the fact that the author chose to make the story and their relationship like this.

It's a submissive girl's fantasy of being saved and dominated by a mysterious, powerful man, and giving up all agency to that end. As a humanist, I find this disgusting. Now, I don't blame anyone for enjoying this because it's their kink or whatever. But the story should probably give some sort of a hint that slavery and misogyny are bad.

Since I've only seen the first episode, I'm aware that my impression is incomplete. Feel free to show that things get better with manga spoilers (just make sure to spoiler them). I actually found the setting quite interesting, and honestly I'd much rather this turn out to be a thoughtful, enjoyable series and not a self-insert fantasy of internalized sexism.

I'd like to clarify that I have no problems with WHAT gets shown. I'm well aware there are plenty of anime that are darker and more gruesome. I've seen and liked quite a few of those myself.

My criticism is of HOW things are framed. Chise sells herself into slavery, and it is precisely because of this that all of her problems are solved. What kind of a message does this seem to send?

Go back to ANN
I actually agree that it's obviously a woman's self-insert fantasy but this isn't a place for actual discussion

I didn't read this post but if you are saying its shoujoshit then I wholeheartedly agree with you.

why dont you read the manga or watch more than one episode before mindlessly blogposting

Keep reading, you'll find that it's actually a mother-son relationship

what?

OP,
i just found the anime pacing to be slow. the art is great, and i like dr. skullheadface. but overall the show is molasses with bad lures, nothing hooked me.

Go start a tumblr about it faggot, this isn't your blog.
This show is good by the way, and your rant about sexism is embarrassing. This isn't the place for you.

>What kind of a message does this seem to send?
t. American who can't understand that some things aren't meant to be political statements.

Chise a cute

I watched the first episode, then when back to the OVA's. Overall I think the OVA episodes are a better introduction to the series.

Also the slow pace is the best part, its just good to sit back and relax while watching.

>it's copypasts from MAL
Thanks google, almost got a bit upset.

Nice copy paste from MAL, loser.

But why did he do it? To what end?

Maybe he was bored.

I'm actually really enjoying this show. The last episode made me feel things. ;_;

Chises' smile must be protected. I want her to be happy.

>Chise sells herself into slavery, and it is precisely because of this that all of her problems are solved. What kind of a message does this seem to send?

Don't kill yourself because tomorrow could be the best day of your life?

>It's a submissive girl's fantasy of being saved and dominated by a mysterious, powerful man
sexy

You are in for a ride.

Just leave.

Imagine being so content with your life that you can't even imagine being so unhappy that you want to kill yourself and so scared that you can't actually do it. I know this is a copypasta, but I'm genuinely jealous of the OP.