"Philosophy is dead" - Hawking

Is he right, Sup Forums?

>At Google's Zeitgeist Conference in 2011, Hawking said that "philosophy is dead". He believed that philosophers "have not kept up with modern developments in science" and that scientists "have become the bearers of the torch of discovery in our quest for knowledge". He said that philosophical problems can be answered by science, particularly new scientific theories which "lead us to a new and very different picture of the universe and our place in it".[311]

Attached: 1047769A-9975-457C-853C-E6EE38DAB84B.jpg (381x376, 57K)

Fucking Russian spies unplugged his battery

No, Stephen Hawking is just a NWO atheist faggot

philosophy never dies, only sad and ignorant people like him

^this. thread

This. The same philosophical problems from 2000 years ago still exist today, by and large. If anything science regularly creates brand new, complicated morale quandaries that philosophy is tries to sort out.

I think that's a retarded observation. Nobody writes for themselves, nobody writes manifestos anymore because its always left "up to the epxerts". There are no public intellectuals, jsut marketers for the academic circles who need public funding like Neil De Grasse Tyson.

If Hawkings objected to this development, he was symptomatic of the problem. If the only people who can reason are experts, nobody can reason, because experts will be too lazy and sheltered to rock the boat and actually come up with 'new opinions".

Name me a single major trend or discovery in science in the last 30-50 years. Go on.

Physics? Chemistry? All created and 90% of it was discovered BEFORE the college system. The college system QUASHES individuality and free thought. Guys like Nash were the last of a dying league.

Hawking is dead.
Checquemate

Yep, everything is business and people tend to study one branch /field of knowledge resulting in a mess.

Philosophy is not about the "muh why", it actually implies all the knowledge fields. But people will brag about 100k per year like a good goy.

plebbit on suicide watch

Until a philosopher proves otherwise, yes.
Modern and postmodern philosophy is a bunch of monkeys masturbating into each other's mouths.

philosophy died because of the greed of organized religion.

Capped

Had to select 4 pages of vehicles
Check my mcdubs

You're a fucking idio-
>meme flag
Oh. Nevermind.

well, he was completely deficient in thinking outside of science (see his opinions on politics) so I think that was likely just another case of him showing his stupidity in that department

I can't really speak as to the state of the Sciences but philosophy has essentially become a Judeo-Marxist initiation cult. Rather than produce new philosophical works for the masses at large, the function of philosophy and the philosopher under the new system is to further refine cultural Marxist thought. Any new philosophical "development' is only introduced to a student after the introductory levels of brainwashing and indoctrination have been completed.

The field is fallow.
Should it be possible to forge science and philosophy into a new religion?

This means that in last 50 or so odd years the people doing the most good are capitalists

How can the left even cope?

I cannot believe you faggot kikes went to the expense of putting a meme artist on your payroll. Does Israel have so much money to burn, it wastes it on the JDIF? Why in the fuck are we subsidizing this bullshit? The Jews need to be cut loose. Let them fend for themselves.

Attached: 1518836302886.gif (255x190, 18K)

I wanna know who get's that chair and control stick he was using? Is it passed on? Auctioned to the highest bidder? Maybe some young hopeless Timmy rescues from a fall in a well? Conquering aliens for a trophy?

I hate to bring up shabbos goys but Peterson destroyed that argument years ago.

No. Pretending philosophy doesn't exist is an excuse to do morally inexcusable things as we see from every ideology claiming to be totally based on science.

I'm wondering if they're going to bury his wheelchair too?!

Attached: 1503984215406.png (800x769, 126K)

Bump

He doesn't realize that emotion drives logic. Take global warming for instance. It's all a lie and everyone knows it. But "scientists" want to believe it anyway.

Those problems are only perpetuated because modern philosophy isn't about truth seeking at all. (((Philosophy))) is alive but it's all about arguing for arguing's sake and learning to contradict and tear down established truths. In the past people might have studied with Socrates or Zeno or the Scholastics with the intention of changing themselves. Now philosophy is code for being able to counter arguments and stage "mock debates" where they learn how to lie well. Plato may have died 2000+ years ago but his theory of forms holds much more truth in it than "Master-Slave morality" and solecism. And atheistic "argumentarians" like Hawking, Sargon, and JF just add fuel to the trash fire that philosophy has become.

>have not kept up with modern developments in science

He's a fag but he was right about this

Philosophy is just academic midwits playing social games for tenture now. Just look at the shit young philosophy professors are putting out these days. They're all fags and Jews arguing about whose flavor of xenoMarxism sucks the fattest black cock

>Hawkings

He's sort of right, philosophy is becoming dangerously overrun by leftist cultural Marxist types that seek to undermine respect for objective knowledge like science and logic

They'll replace the Lucasian chair at Cambridge with it. The best future physicists of the next few hundred years will zoom around in it as their students use hover boards.

No, this is retarded. Science nigger doesn't understand the fundamentality of philosophy.

I guess Hawkings didn't understand the divide between Logos, Pathos, and Ethos

Science and Philosophy are 2 completely different fields. Science is purely based on fact and objective, there is no imagination or believe, its just data analysis.

philosophy isn't dead, its just not as a major subject right now as science is with mars colonization and shit. One of the biggest philosophical questions yet addressed is Racial Philosophy, as it is still extremely taboo to talk about race.

Attached: c56.png (1132x1000, 248K)

Attached: stop.jpg (646x646, 87K)

Attached: 1515597165365.gif (331x197, 1.91M)

Thanks for the Dank Peepee,swedebro

Attached: th (5).jpg (304x460, 18K)

litteraly who??

the question of what qualifies as scientific is itself philosophical so Hawking was a faggot and I'm glad he died.

Hi Vee

Not on your life anti semite.

Attached: WhatsApp-Image-2016-09-25-at-19.34.56-640x400.jpg (640x400, 66K)

>bong education

Uneducated fuck

Attached: 7B5FC0DB-389C-4C03-8A35-52236A5D40D1.jpg (242x208, 20K)

>Is he right, Sup Forums?
no. he's an idiot.

'philosophy is dead' is philosophy. poor phil too, this guy is bill nye-tier, just paralyzed.

>'philosophical problems can be answered by science'
science relies on epistemology, ontology, and logical systems to function in the first place. it is philosophy. surprise, pseuds all over pop culture.

philosophy hasn't advanced much past hume/kant, though I consider the field of phenomenology to have made some progress. mathematicians such as godel and schrodinger contributed quite a bit as well. godel fucking gutted logical systems forever, no healing from make believe. big barriers right now in phil is education, 99.9% of the world's population is HORRIFICALLY educated when it comes to understanding their first-person experience(phenomenological existence). 99.9% of people don't understand basic linguistic philosophy and logic. 99.9% of people rely on unfalsifiable positions without being aware of the falsifiability issues with their positions, this includes self-ascribed 'atheists' as well as the religious. 99% of people don't properly grasp natural selection.

as far as the field goes, physics is very important for advancing the understanding of our phenomenological experience. this might be what he's trying to say, but he's either being fucking retarded or he's dumbing down his language for laymen to the point where he's just saying wrong shit which is just as bad if not worse. you cannot conduct physics without philosophy. most STEMfags including physicists are within the 99.9% that have shit-eating education when it comes to first-person based philosophy and won't contribute well to our understanding of reality and will just record data.

teach your kids philosophy. start with the greeks. hume is important. teach them logic and linguistic philosophy. teach them biology. basic shit we should have solid grasps of by age twelve but most of us are stupid apes raising stupid apes.

Attached: 1479805409646.png (1716x1710, 2.93M)

Was I Vee on the part where I talked shit about atheists or the part where I talked shit about Sargon? I'm not sure what youre getting at

No they just used his body (If that’s even him)

heh

What has philosophy actually achieved? Science takes man to the Moon. Science cures diseases. Science keeps your house warm during winter. What has philosophy ever done?

It'll go on the next falcon heavy launch. As a fitting end, Hawking's body will be aimed at Sagittarius-A, where after a few billion years it will slowly be released back into the universe as Hawking radiation.

Attached: 1518312765393.gif (700x427, 3.74M)

>The college system QUASHES individuality and free thought.

Yeah. One of the main ways they do it is through specialization. Students aren't allowed to follow their interests, as philosophers do. They are given one specialization to serve in a limited range of occupations and their thought processes are hobbled elsewhere. when it comes to philosophical or political thought, they are brainwashed immediately upon entering college through "general education" courses in which they are trained to have opinions precede intellectual inquiry in order to prevent that intellectual inquiry from ever happening. Instead of developing worldviews based upon intellectual inquiry, they are taught to adopt them via socialization and they are penalized for holding views not approved by the college.

Students that have a science degree don't have any moral or philosophical basis from which to pursue their science. They are neuters that just take orders and are incapable of asking, much less answering the question of why they do what they do. Teenagers in the 1700's that were from families with the means to provide education were far more aware and intellectual than adults that have graduated with a doctorate.

Philosopher here.

>He believed that philosophers "have not kept up with modern developments in science"

That was already Bergson's claim more than 100 years ago. Don't worry, philosophy is doing fine.

>scientists "have become the bearers of the torch of discovery in our quest for knowledge"

If by knowledge you mean the discovery of functions that describe the truth, then sure. But that's pretty much a 13 y.o.'s take on philosophy. It's literally like hearing Sam Harris talk about religion or leftists talk about intelligence. They don't know the first thing about it.

>He said that philosophical problems can be answered by science

He didn't know what philosophy is, then. Pace Hawking, one can't be a great mind in every domain all the time.

>"lead us to a new and very different picture of the universe and our place in it"

Maybe he should have read a little more about philosophy than the equivalent of a couple reddit posts. Philosophy is not just formal logic - except for the poor minded, which he certainly wasn't, and the ignorant, which he apparently was.

Higgs-Boson, healing different cancers, discovering vast parts of our universe .

What a laughably uneducated comment.

Philosophy will never die.

Autistic scientists have been claiming philosophy is dead since Descartes and eet philosophers have still been behind every important and momentous movement in the world.

People who say "Philosophy is dead" just don't know what Philosophy is.

>now
Sure, but thats because the academia complex. Real philosophers are not the sort of people who would have done well in modern academia, they would have just called its bullshit and left.

The problem with philosophy is the academia complex ensuring every single kind of activity has a degree and that they control who gets them. Even trades are moving away form apprenticeships towards academia.

ah, you little dumbfuck...
there's actually convincing evidence to suggest that the moon landing was fake.
>science cures disease
so that people can live abnormally long lifespans, thus sucking up more resources and being obnoxious cunts into old age. have you ever interacted with people age 70-90? they can barely walk up a flight of stairs.
>science keeps your house warm during winter
so does a wood stove. you can stay warm by just lighting a fucking fire anywhere and stacking bricks around it. are you to say the creation of fire itself was an act of science.

look up the greatest physicists of all time, for example Schrodinger, they all gravitated towards Philosophy near the later stage of their careers. Doing Philosophy, seeking Truth, and understanding or creating Beauty, are the most important aims of life.

Everything else is to: eat, fuck, avoid cold, avoid illness...basic shit that even animals can do. why don't deer need medicine? because they're not weak, disgusting, diseased fucking city-dwelling rats like humans. the average human is no different than cockroaches, just aiming to survive, fuck, eat, and stay warm. These are very weak aims.

Philosophy, Art, the creation of Art, the pursuit of Truth through science, are all the marks of human genius.

You speak as if Science and Philosophy are in competition to each other, when in actuality the greatest scientists were all philosophical, for example, Newton and Darwin.

You fucking retard. I usually like Finns but you, oh you, you really are a special needs dimwit.

That's really weird, in Cute Girls Doing Cute Things WITH HATS ON Simulator 2006 it's the opposite.
>Physics is coming to an end. Our world was already rapidly progressing into an age of explanations and philosophy.

Attached: Renko and Maribel on shrine steps.jpg (911x1145, 186K)

Notice how you never answered my question.

go back to your containment board
>t. Sup Forums

I've never thought about this, but it would be quite easy actually.
Anyway, I think his brain is starting to atrophy too, because we actually still know very little about the Universe or even human mind. Have some humility, Stephen.

Here is the answer to it: philosophy has created the context in which science became possible.

Hawking is dead.
- Philosophy.

Science has so far not delivered anything on the subject of morality nor recognised it's importance in any way. Nor has it delivered a substitute or replacement for the moral institutions it has attempted to dismantle.

dis

As much as I hate you for saying it, that is an interesting idea. So youre saying that, in your opinion, science is basically what philosophy always wanted to be, or in neet terms, its final form?

His skin is attached to it

bump

No, not at all. I'm saying that science is an offspring of philosophy, and would never have been possible without it. Philosophy and other domains (mathematics, physics, biology, geology, chemistry, etc.) were always independent from philosophy epistemologically, but without philosophy they wouldn't have come to existence. What's more, they wouldn't exist if it wasn't for the Greek renewal in the Renaissance, so history plays a role in the birth of science too. This isn't just my opinion by the way.