Could the EU work with a US style democratic election system?

1. An EU president which heads the EU commission. The EU president is voted into office every 4 years in a general election across the EU. In each state people vote for electors which then go to Brussels to vote for the president.

2. Divide the EU into 500 districts, in each district the person who receives the most votes is elected the MEP of the parliament

3. Each state government sends two permanent EU councilmember to Brussels or alternatively let the people vote for a senior and junior councilmember for the EU council (like the US Senate).

Attached: most-spoken.jpg (650x607, 175K)

nah, the EU will be history soon

Nah, it’s good as it is without united statian influence.

US isn't a democracy though, it's electoral college.

Except the american system is piss. It's better with a european style democracy not based an the electoral collage meme. Like Finland or the other nordic countries but without a king

most second spoken language is gyppo language not English

Nah dont fix a broken system with a broken system.

Europe is on a fast path to third world status.
They are becoming more and more divided every year, just a matter of time before microstates start popping up. Catalonia meme was just the beggining

The US is a federation. The Electoral College is way that it is because it is supposed to be used by a federation, not a nation. Extra votes are given to smaller members of the federation as recognition of their sovereignty as states so that they won't be dominated by larger members of the federation.

With an electoral college as well, sure, if not for the fact we don't have a common identity. So no, it won't work.

How isn't the second most spoken language here, Germany France and sweden arabic?

>Germany 80 million people
>keep voting Merkel
nobody wants to share a nation with you guys, fuck off

Everyone would vote to leave.

>just a matter of time before microstates start popping up.
I hope not. All independence movements (with the exception of Flanders) tends to be more leftist than Sweden. It would be a disaster for Europe when new microstates start popping up and that's exactly what the EU wants. Less powerful and smaller countries means more power to the EU.

Parliamentary democracy with the PM calling the shots and an elected head of state handing out medals and making speeches?

I really honestly hope Europe gets its shit together, but division, and nationalism, and all that shit is not good for the continent.
America is doing good for now, but if we where to ever go back to our isolationist ways or lose massive military or economic power Europe has no protection.

can I join?

Read: Because when we redpill the normies they too will understand that the EU is a globalist piece of shit that wants to replace all Europeans with dumb MENA people so all EUfags need to get the rope.

No.

We should be adopting their first two amendments and then see where to go from there.

Hell no, US-style democracy is so byzantine and retarded that even they don't actually advocate US-style democracy when talking about or setting up democracy overseas.

fuck off to your oven kike!

After every EU presidential election there would be massive butthurt from every ethnicity because their nominee didn't win.

What if one ethnicity gets more precidential elects than anyother? Even if there was no chance of the elections being rigged, once an idea like that gets into peoples heads massive racial tension will rise from it.

Nah mate Swiss canton confederation are way better

The centralized authority of the EU is unpopular enough as it is right now - witness the Greek debt drama and Brexit, among other issues. In a certain sense, the EU is really just a big, complex trading agreement; the member states do have to accept the EU's rules of course, but individual countries still have much more sovereignty than states in the U.S. Remember, in Europe the borders have been there, in some cases, for the thousands of years, and Europeans have been living there long before that; obviously they will be sensitive to subsuming their nationality under a broader government. In the U.S, which has only existed a measly 200+ years, many of the states were settled as a part of the country, and the govt. was able to maintain broad federal control. Europe just has a different history so it seems unlikely a more federalized approach would have a chance.

On the other hand, perhaps you are simply suggesting a political structure similar to the existing one, just with some kind of different representational system, but I'm not sure why that would be an improvement; if you look at the EU's wikipedia page, you can easily learn about the institutions of the EU, like the EU council and the European Parliament, bodies similar in many ways to the US house and senate. As for the EU president, he is elected by the legislature, proposed by the European Council (the heads of state of member countries). Not a popular vote it's true, but a representative one nonetheless, since he is voted by those who are voted into office - which, as you pointed out, is also the system that we have with the electoral college. But the Electoral College in the US is an institution specifically designed to give out sized political weight to slave states - who were allowed to gain extra representative seats for slaves who could not vote (see the three-fifths compromise).
You asked, could the EU work with a US style democratic election system? Seems like it almost does.

Because we have less than 1 percent Arabs?

We have Turks, Kurds, Yazidis, Afghans etc. Inform yourself. None of them speak Arabic.

>but I'm not sure why that would be an improvement;

Dude, nobody cares about EU elections, no one can name an MEP. Nobody understands the EU election system.

Say what you want about the US, but 95 percent of adult citizens know A. you vote for a new president every 4 years, B. you vote for a House rep in your district every 2 years and C. you vote for a senator in your state every 2 years with a gap election every 6 years. All of which is first past the post.

Easy, coherent, understandable.

The EU mess isn’t even understood by experts.

>no one can name an MEP
Farage maybe?

I wonder who started this trend of microstates hmm

In a few years, English will also the top "second language" in the UK.

>95% of adult citizens know
Already pretty skeptical, don't know how many "adult citizens" you know, but I have a feeling a lot more than 5% don't know shit about senate races and gap/special elections. But even if 100% know, they don't vote; in many districts, as little as 20% of eligible voters actually show up at polls for house/senate elections, and in my experience doing political poll consulting I would say that maybe one out of five people could actually name their house representative, although about half of voters did know their senator. We never specifically asked if people knew when elections came up, but I never once saw a community where voter participation exceeded (roughly) 85%.

Obviously I'm not as familiar with the EU system, but MEP voting seems relatively straightforward. I can see that you might not love a system that gives greater representation to smaller states, but in the US it's exactly the same way, that's why the Senate exists, so what you have proposed doesn't seem like any kind of solution.

if you turn the EU into a democratic federal system then small nations will all be steam rolled.
Right now 1 Danish vote counts for 3 German. That way Danish interests see the light of day and its not just all about what the major populations want.
So no they EU should not be turned into a US style democratic system. The EU should be demolished or rolled back to being a simple free trade area. No social policy. No common borders. No shit like European courts. Just a single free trade area.
Also fuck the euro.

normal nationalist people who dont want to be raped by Germans and French.

>Dude, nobody cares about EU elections
depends on where in Europe you are. Danes dont care but that is because we got so many opt outs that the EU laws means much less for us than other EU members.

Just curious, you seem to be in favor of a single free trade area, but I wonder how you intend to enforce it without courts? How will workers and job creators move around without open borders, and how will goods get to where they want to go as easily? It's easy to say "free trade", but without international agreements, what's to stop a country from setting up high tariffs? And once one does of course other countries will have to respond, and before you know it everyone is just fighting over scraps. Instead we have the European Union, in an effort to at least work together for the benefit of everyone. Sure it's not perfect by any means, but why would you advocate for less co-operation - how will that solve anything?

>Just curious, you seem to be in favor of a single free trade area, but I wonder how you intend to enforce it without courts?
When I say free trade area all I mean is a tariff free zone. Denmark already got such a deal with the other Nordic nations before we joined the EU. There is no need for any laws or super national courts. Its is only if you want to establish industry standards for the trade zone you would need courts and laws. I am not in ANYWAY interested in sharing standards with the likes of Poland ans Spain.
>How will workers and job creators move around without open borders
They wont.
>and how will goods get to where they want to go as easily?
this one is harder. I am pretty sure that some inter state trade would be lost if the EU went back to being a simple free trade tariff free zone. However I dont consider this a big enough drawback compared to the disaster that the EU is now.
>but without international agreements, what's to stop a country from setting up high tariffs?
true but you do not need courts for this. International or interstate agreements can be made without international or supernational courts.
> Instead we have the European Union, in an effort to at least work together for the benefit of everyone.
that is not the purpose of the EU. The EU is a central European and American idea to end the hostilities between the European nations by making them economical dependable on each other. The EU in its core is about creating a federal Europe. Some would consider that a benefit I dont.
>why would you advocate for less co-operation
I do not mind cooperation but I wont give up my rights to self determination and the sovereignty of my 1500 year old nation. Danes are distinct compared to Europe as a whole and I want it to remain that way. So working together is not a problem until a point. That point being European law superseding Danish law.
>how will that solve anything?
what exactly is there to solve? In my view nothing.

wtf is up with norway??

Can confirm, that I speak French

They don't give a fuck.

No. Europe is too vast with too split cultures for it to work.

Even the US doesn't work with that election system