Was Sailor Moon actually any good or has it just been nostalgia goggles this whole time?

Was Sailor Moon actually any good or has it just been nostalgia goggles this whole time?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=33UCkArnPZg
youtube.com/watch?v=Sgnyf8ecRBI&feature=youtube_gdata_player
animefillerlist.com/shows/sailor-moon
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

It's ok, comfy to watch on a rainy Sunday afternoon.

Filler is better then the main storylines.

I enjoyed it a hell of a lot more than I thought I would. I can't quite put my finger on why aside from just enjoying the relationship drama and cozy Japanese city living. Sadly it kind of feels like it was best when Haruka was making everyone question their sexuality and Seiya was hitting on Usagi because Mamoru was fucking dead and the forbidden aspect of THEIR relationship was way better than Mamoru being a college student in a relationship with a middle schooler.

Come to think of it, Mamoru's whole schtick would have been way better if he were hung up on the age difference as far as the dark moon clan arc instead of future him fucking with his dreams because fuck you that's why.

I like Sailor Moon and the manga and musicals too.

It was really nice, but that's what you get from times when industry was full of passionate and talented people

For me, yes it was nostalgia goggles, infact realizing it as an adult pretty much spoiled a good chunk of my childhood memories.

It's a lot more repetitive than you could imagine which really hurts any consecutive viewing experience. It's mediocre whenever it focuses on the plot too.

The slice of life comedy elements are pretty great though. And I feel like some aspects are pretty unique, like their constant craving for dick. You don't really find that in other anime because of the muh purity meme.

>And I feel like some aspects are pretty unique, like their constant craving for dick. You don't really find that in other anime because of the muh purity meme.

So much this. One thing I loved about the show was that they felt like an honest pretrial of teenage girls. Catty, boy-crazy, and yet still good hearted.

I feel ya, I remember watching it religiously as a kid with my sister. We had toys, the PC game, VHS and DVDs, ect. But two years ago a went back and watched the sub and dub and I realized how boring and formulaic it was.

the /ss/ doujins are fucking good

Even Ami-Chan got horny once in a while, its pretty realistic that way since 14/15 year old girls are ALWAYS acting lewd and talking about boys.

The what?

I unironically loved the dub.

It has that campy Adam West feel to the writing and performances, the S dub is also decent, not great but better than dic

Me too, I always thought they did a top job matching the voices to the characters. Well... most of them, Rini sucked at first, and Serena was up and down depending on the season. Also listening to the goofy dialogue is just so charming.

Terry Hawkes a best

Linda Ballantyne as Serena was one of the worst casting choices in history

Her Terri hawkes impression was great though if you listen to her interviews or watch the q&a panels of the voices actors. They all seem like good friends. They're not all passive like in DBZ panels.

yes

>Best voices
Lita
Raye
Serena (Hawkes)
Amy without British accent

As a slice of life show SM is as good as it gets, as a legitimate show, it gets pretty boring and sometimes takes itself too serious as the main plot of every season isn't the most exciting thing in the world to get behind.

The art and the aesthetics of the show is amazing. Early 90s Tokyo looks so vibrant and comfy. The sundown and the rainy days are amazing to look at as the warm water colors are visually pleasing and stimulate the senses.

Are the movies any good?

I dropped the manga after the first story arc.
Bland and generic characters, paper-thin story, not terrible but less than average.
I watched Crystal and apart from some ugly CG it was a pretty 1:1 adaptation. The second season was a bit better, about average.
I suspect most of Sailor Moon's popularity is due to the 90s Toei anime.

Would Michiru fuck a guy just to make Haruku jealous?

Apparently Crystal S3 is good, but yeah the manga is boring and terribly written.

Possibly, she does seem quite flirty and has been implied to be the alpha in the relationship.

Clearly, with how fast she was going to slut it up with Seiya.

youtube.com/watch?v=33UCkArnPZg

They're fun and standalone stories. I liked them.

I found them more entertaining than most of the episodes. I think hearts in ice was my favorite because it was so emotional and well written.

HII was fucking amazing
>Luna screentime and character development
>Interesting astronaut character
>Intimidating villian
>Funny
>Lots of feels
>Great, heartwarming ending

The Japanese version was better, English dub was decent but the Luna emotional breakdown with the old British lady voice was cringy.

>tfw you're waiting for Viz to announce a new Hearts in Ice dub in theaters

HII has already been established as great, but how are the other two movies?

Hearts almost has a cuck vibe to it as Luna learns to let the astronaut have his gf as she'll just keep the feelings and the memories. Also, moonlight destiny is a great song and the winter setting was comfy as fuck.

I first watched Sailor Moon in 2013. It's good.

All three movies are boring and unremarkable.

Sailor Moon is the standard bearer for Mahou Shoujo.

If anything it's the first movie that's the good one. The second one is passable and the third one is no better than the average episode of the series.

I've only seen the second movie because I watched all of S. The film was easily 10/10

I've heard the R movie is supposed to be really good. Are you supposed to watch R then the movie? Same goes with the other two are you supposed to watch them after you're done or Midway through the season or does it not matter?

All of Super S is average, it's the filler season

Ithe search for the Messiah arc in the first half of S was decent, kiinda dragged on a bit but the conclusion of that arc was pretty exciting. The second half of S was a bit of a cluster fuck as it got kinda 2deep4me and Usagi pissed me off during the confrontation with Mistress 9. Also the Pharaoh 90 twist was stupid and felt out of nowhere.

I like R the best. the movie would take place sometime probably during the Esmeralde arc I think as Chibiusa is there and she knows their identities.

What made that one the best though?

It's pretty good. It was never perfect, and these days it does show its age in a number of ways, but it's a decently solid show. I'll even argue that in most ways, it's actually for the better that it doesn't 1:1 follow the manga.

As others mention, one of the things that really makes it what it is is the slice-of-life aspects of the show. The monster-of-the-week stuff, while that does get repetitive and sometimes ridiculous, does give it more of a sense of being an ongoing fight against a set of enemies, and there's some pretty good social commentary in there too.

>Social commentary
Like......

It's mostly minor stuff, usually to do with the monster-of-the-week's target. The example that comes to mind is sometime in the first season one of the four villains is discussing with Queen Beryl about how people study like hell in primary school to get into a good middle school, in middle school to get into a good high school, and in high school to get into a good university. "And then what?" "I haven't quite worked that out yet."

Another example is the one where Usagi goes to the gym and they say people are obsessed with their vain looks or even in the first episode where they talk about people's obsessions with jewelry and shiny things.

You have to watch the filler to truly enjoy it. Ofc it's nostalgia goggle's but can you blame it ? Things have changed since then. it's not fair to compare

I'd recommend you watch it at any point after Chibi-usa is introduced.
I like the R movie simply because it has a good antagonist (more compelling than the S and SuperS movie villains, in my opinion), focuses on a character other than the girls (Mamoru), strong action sequences, good soundtrack, and well-written emotional moments that don't come off as overly saccharine or cloying. IMO it has the Ikuhara touch that the other movies lack.

I recommend you watch them for yourself and don't let people here influence your opinion too much, honestly.

Is there like a filler guide or sort of like a DBZ Kai cut where it's just filler?

I don't remember the original dub voices for Saturn and Pluto, were they good or not?

>Haruka made everyone question their sexuality
Except for Mercury I think. She was more flirty than Michiru, Michiru only really flirted with Seiya but Haruka flirted with Moon, Venus, Jupiter, Mars, and in the dub Darien.

I always felt like Jupiter would have become a lesbian or at least experimented.

I felt like her and Usagi tried scissoring at least once.

Usagi most definitely experimented with Makoto and absolutely with Minako

>Scissoring Usagi

nah man, Makoto and Ami though.

>Usagi
Mostly saved herself for Mamoru, maybe experimented with Minako once or twice
>Ami
Virgin, masturbating seems to embarrassing and dirty for her
>Rei
Probably fucked Chad(don't remember his Jap name) but mostly strict
>Makoto
Probably saving herself for her senpai, maybe experimented with Usagi but she seems more like a diddler
>Minako
Slut, lost her virginity probably before she became sailor V
>Setsuna
Platonic and probably doesn't care about sex
>Haruka
She's the bottom and probably likes being listed (there's a subtle gesture about this look it up)
>Michiru
The top, probably a very grateful lover but wouldn't mind being kinky

Jupiter probably flicked her bean that night as she god a good deep look at her.

Her and Ami seem like that perfect couple who never fight and always compliment each other in every way. Usagi Makoto or Usagi Minako would act more like buddies than lovers.

What about the cake teacher and Saturn?

Saturn is like 8 dude.
Haruna-Sensei is thirsty but she's pretty cute actually. Probably has a dildo collection.

I meant Hotaru

Hotaru is like 8 my nigga that's fucked.

Don't mind me, just posting best SM OP
youtube.com/watch?v=Sgnyf8ecRBI&feature=youtube_gdata_player

I just realized the Mars, Venus, and Jupiter are all doing the other's hobbies
>Mars shopping
>Jupiter practicing Shinto
>Venus cooking

>pretrial

?

My nigga stars is so comfy, it takes me back to 1996 to the days of playing ps1 and watching WCW

I never watched stars what happened to Mamoru and Chibiusa?

It's a good show, especially the first season. It has a very nice atmosphere. My high school years were literally Dragon Ball, Sailor Moon, One Piece and Naruto. No regrets.

What astronaut?

Was Mamoru even in super S? All I remember was it was the Chibiusa show and it was shit.

The first two seasons had such a comfy easy going atmosphere. S is where it got more serious, super S was sillier, stars was a mix of serious and fun

How do you figure?

Should I watch the whole thing? I've seen almost all of season one and all of S. I just kinda want to watch stars since apparently that's the best one of them all.

>don't remember his Jap name

Seems appropriate as a label as much as a name.

More of a hunch

Watch it from start to finish. It's a good investment and you'll see yourself getting attached to at least two of the senshi.

Another strong point: The music. I loved watching it at night. Even the American theme was surprisingly faithful to the original.

Based on?

Am I the only one who thought the "westernized" BGM and leitmotifs were actually pretty good?

He had his moments.

-Balloon monster falls for him
-Mamo-chan taking Chibi-usa out to someplace fancy to learn about her 'boyfriend' (with the other girls eavesdropping in especially obvious ways)

There were a lot of undertones in the show, and even the manga (made more intense with Minako and Rei hating men).

I didn't know Rei reads JoJo!

>Minako and Rei hating men

Explain.

Sorry, I worded that wrong. In the manga, Minako was touchy-feely with Usagi (Can't find the image) and Rei's father left her and her mother, leading Rei to hate men.

With Rei, she has issues with men on account of her dad being a jerk. With Mina, it's just a priority thing; she wouldn't mind having a guy of her own, but, like Mars, she puts her duties as a Senshi above all else. Both have more-or-less made vows of chastity, though in Mars's case it's easier to maintain.

No, they fit pretty well

JoJo reference?

If not an Utena reference

It's fucking Takarazuka Revue.

Utena-post here.

That's the reference I was getting at.

But he looks like a JoJo character though

Not actually a he.

Remember when Makoto acknowledged the power gap between moon and the other senshi in S and near the end of stars?

Power levels:
Sailor Moon

Sailor Saturn
Sailor Pluto

Sailor Neptune
Sailor Uranus
Sailor Mini Moon

Sailor Venus
Sailor Mars
Sailor Jupiter
Sailor Mercury

So what makes the inners useful at all after S?
Mercury kinda stands around and her bubbles are weak and shitty, she's also weak physically. Rei can use fire but she's not good at strategy or a fighter. Jupiter can fight and her electricity has some power, but I think she's too emotional and distracted. Venus has a kick and a chain, that's it.

So that training Lita did In S didn't really do anything as she kinda became 2nd or 3rd strongest inner senshi after moon got her upgrades and left them in the dust.

who was stronger Uranus or Neptune?

Have fun: animefillerlist.com/shows/sailor-moon