What do you think of RPG isekai series after reading how Togashi and Kishimoto shit on them in this interview?

What do you think of RPG isekai series after reading how Togashi and Kishimoto shit on them in this interview?

viz.com/blog/posts/togashi-x-kishimoto-discuss-worldbuilding

Other urls found in this thread:

ganma.jp/hoiku/411cab90-a190-11e7-a9d8-06e4e79605e7/0
ganma.jp/hoiku?storyId=da5bca40-ad5a-11e7-a348-06e4e79605e7
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

I dont wanna hear anything from Togashi unless it involves his dumbass finishing his fucking manga.

Togashi sure likes to insult things that are actually ongoing.

As if isekai currently isn't flooded with derivative garbage.

>implying togashi wont eventually win the record of longest running shounen

>Togashi beating Araki.

JoJo stopped being a Shounen with part 7.

Isekai anime IS mostly shit so i dont know why you guys are butt blasted over this.

Maybe you have shit taste

>

They should both think about the shit they did in their works too.

>I love it when the first page is packed caption boxes that explain the world.

Togashi...

Anything that uses RPG mechanics is immediately degraded to shit. It's an especially bad case of very lazy writing. The reason it is so prevalent in the current Isekai fad lies exactly in that. The vast majority of current Isekai anime are based on shoddily written LNs or WNs by amateur authors that do not have the slightest skill and do not know how to coherently and convincingly portray character development or do world-building. It's not easy to show a character progressing in combat capability through descriptive writing, so they resort to RPG-esque stats and abilities. Proper world building isn't easy, either. Far from it. So they resort to MMO-type cookie cutter worlds. Exposition? Fuck that, just have huge infodumps in the beginning! That's another reason for Isekai being a fad. You don't have to think about how to convey the state of the world to the reader, the ignorant MC from another world just goes around asking the question, receiving paragraph-length answers for the writer's convenience.
tl;dr the fault is amateur writers being shit at writing.

Someone should introduce Togashi to books, he might like them.

I hate him but love him at the same time.

Trollgashi.

I may not like the stuff they put out but I agree

>Togashi calls Kishimoto sensei.
Ah at least he recognizes the superiority of Naruto over HxH

Go to bakaupdates,go to new manga and sort by 2017,manga and new activity,you'll see a bunch of ''' was just somebody got fucked by a truck and then I woke up in X''

He just likes his art better. Which is fine because Togashi's character designs and paneling are worse than Kishimoto's.

> I’ve always thought that your art is really amazing. Very impressive that you can draw that level of composition in the limited amount of time afforded by a weekly serialization.

This should always be the main argument when people compare Naruto with HxH.Togashi had all the time in the world while Kishimoto was doing weekly storyboards,designs and drawings.

Let's be real though.
A at least 80% of all modern isekai is trash. Even Naruto and HxH has enjoyable bits to it.
Though hearing the world 'World Building' and those two in the same breath makes me fucking laugh my ass off.

Which is incomprehensible due if you compare the time restraints.
If you gave Kishimoto the same time as Miura he probably would be able to do a similar design

>two of the biggest hacks in the industry
>uses them for a source as if they're actually credible

though most Isekai are badly written

Kishimoto is clearly just a brilliant artist who has honed his drawing skill since childhood and maintained practice constantly. Togashi clearly spends most of his free time reading, playing video and board games and writing rather than drawing.

Is this the new isekai thread?

That said whats a story where someone got fucked literally by a truck?

I'd say Togashi's designs are better. Kishi rehashes design elements too much. The Akatsuki for example has no individuality in what they wear compared to the Ryodan.

They obviously haven't read mushoku tensei and overlord.

Probably exists

One group wears matching uniforms and the other doesn't. What the fuck does that prove?

They make up for it by having original jutsus and fighting styles.

Fuck your truck

Don't forget that ninja equipment is basically all the same shit and Kishimoto started falling into sameface territory

>Implying GI isn't better than all those RPG isekai

Sure

Someone give me an Isekai tier list

I like harems and lolis

>>two of the biggest geniuses in the industry
ftfy

Not really.

>Togashi and Kishimoto shit on them in this interview?
WTF, i love isekai now!

It's nice to see how Togashi and Kishimoto are friends with great respect for each other and their works. I'm pretty sick of people saying that Kishimoto steals from him when they're both shown to be influenced by one another.

Togashi actually does like Naruto. There was a Naruto reference in Yorknew iirc

Yeah, there's not much room for uniqueness so the designs feel bland and uniform. Togashi's designs aren't always the cutest but they tend to feel different.

>ninja equipment is basically the same

>Togashi: When I read the scene where Kakashi fights Team 7 while holding his book, I couldn't help but compliment Kishimoto-sensei, using that little detail to show the difference of experience between the characters made me realize that the author was really creative. Also Kishimoto has some really impressive drawing skills, I heard that in order to understand or evaluate the skills of an artist, you need to judge the way they draw hands, and the way his characters hold things in hand is impressive.
Did he self insert as Hisoka in this moment?

All that I'm seeing are two dinosaurs from an era where interactive fictions were yet to become commonly available.

ganma.jp/hoiku/411cab90-a190-11e7-a9d8-06e4e79605e7/0

Latest degenerate Isekai from Japan HOT OFF THE PRESS!

Post the most ''edgy' manga page from HxH

ganma.jp/hoiku?storyId=da5bca40-ad5a-11e7-a348-06e4e79605e7

main portal

>THE ABSOLUTE STATE OF HISOKAFAGS RIGHT NOW

Nice here's another one

Where's adult Neji?

A-Are you for real?

Yes?

Getting some long hard wood from behind.

It was never shonen in the first place so I'm assuming he meant longest running Shueisha manga

>dies by hitting the ground after slipping on a bananna
Well at least it beats dying by shock thinking you got hit by a truck

S-She's fine

Jojo absolutely was shounen for 6 parts.

I haven't read Mushoku Tensei but Overlord is maybe the most overrated piece of trash on Sup Forums.

Oh shit

Why would I care about the opinion of two stupid hacks?
Only people like Inoue are worth listening to.

>Vaguely implied death scene before hiatus so we're stuck in a limbo on if she's actually still alive or not for months before finding out.
Trollgashi for you.

Well, Togashi's designs are better in some ways. Namely, he isn't afraid of making ugly or silly characters and he puts some effort in making sure there is a variety of designs.

But they are worse in other ways. Particularly, in that he mismanages semiotic symbols, either not adding any, adding seemingly random or misplaced symbols for no clear reason or being a bit too blunt with them. Often creating character designs that fail to communicate reliable information and occasionally even communicating wrong information.

Sure, the Ryodan has a lot of variety in designs, but when you look at the characters individually, they are also quite a hodge-podge group for a team that is meant to come from the same city. For example:
Chrollo is overloaded with religious symbolism. But other than the fact that he leads a team of 12, and is betrayed by a member, there is nothing in his story that links him to those symbols. And he certainly didn't dress up with the expectation of being betrayed, I imagine.
Phinks occasionally wears what appears to be a rather uncomfortable pharaoh hat. This doesn't seem to hold any meaning to the story. Similarly, Bonolenov, Nobunaga and Franklin also appear to draw symbolism from mythologies and popular culture without it being involved in their character's backstory or role at all.
Machi, Kortopi, Feitan and Uvogin do have traditional designs for their archetypes. Which opposes Shizuku and Shalnark, who are nothing like what you'd imagine them to be from their designs.
Pakunoda's character design I would say is brilliant because of the way in which it both oversexualizes her and humanizes her, but there isn't really any role for her sexuality in the story.

I'd like to see Kishi and Togashi do a collab for a short manga where Togashi writes and Kishi draws and makes the character designs.

Didn't care about him desu.Was more sad because of Konan

They're not shitting on isekai, though. They're saying that the issue with a lot of new video-game-world-based isekai is that they focus on the mechanics of the world as a "game" and how they interact, rather than something that the average reader can relate to more, such as the character or elements of the setting (such as cell phones in hiatus x hiatus or streetlights in naruto)
Hell, they bring up what they consider "isekai," an entirely different world, a manga about kabaddi, and how you can still make it work if you have relatable characters and interactions, and bring it back to how the drama between characters in a sport manga are more important than the actual rules/mechanics of the sport itself.

I don't think what they're saying is inherently incorrect in that people are always the most relatable; I think that comes from a generation where there isn't a comfortable familiarity to game mechanics. But I don't think they're wrong in that relatable characters is much more important than game mechanics in terms of what makes an isekai successful. Even something like Log Horizon, which is heavily based on game mechanics, importantly has characters with relatable motivations, or pries into Shiroe's past guild.

Oh it is.
It's just that there's such a lack of world building in both series (Naruto VASTLY more so) so I just find it ironic

being on hiatus doesn't count as running for me

Well, whenever I see Togashi doing a drawing for fun, it is usually just one or a few characters striking a pose. Stuff that would take a competent artist less than 30 minutes. But Kishimoto actually seems to like to spend days drawing stuff like giant sky views of Konoha. Their love for drawing is on completely different levels, IMO.

Doesn't have to be dead. He could have taken her arm, tatted up and put on his mantle

>to come from the same city
To come "mostly" from the same city. I mean.

Yeah, good thing you added "IMO". I don't see him drawing for days at all.

Meteor City is a literal garbage dump isn't it? They probably got their clothes from trash piles

But the thing is, "hopeless NEET who gets launched into masturbatory power fantasy" IS incredibly relatable for much of the target audience of isekai.
>oh boy, this guy is a fucking loser, just like me!
>oh boy, you work you lose? He's just like me!
>oh boy, he wants to fuck catgirls, elves, and female knights? He's just like me!
>oh boy, now he actually gets to do so? I wish that were me!

I always loved this page, cause I just think of how badly Netero would utterly push Killua's shit in

Nothing is certain in HxH fights kek

that's depressing, i tell you what.

i think overlord and .hack are better than hxh and naruto regardless of popularity or longevity so whatever

Well, you can read interviews like this one, with Togashi politely saying more or less "I can't believe you actually do this shit to yourself every week" and Kishimoto going "I only became a Mangaka because I wanted a job where I could draw every day".

Well drawing everyday is practically a baseline requirement to be one anyway, so you got a point

>togashi is the happy-go-lucky, don't give a shit kinda guy

i was neutral about him before this, but i'm beginning to like him even more now

[laughs]

Why assume symbolism from character design? The Ryodan look the way they do because they come from a city of junk. Phinks' Pharoah clothing was either something he simply likes to wear and/or he and the hat both come from the HxH equivalent of Egypt.

Remember that the world of HxH is ours but with continents rearranged, and we've already seen the NYC equivalent - in its exact location on the NA landmass. Hanzo and Basho are all but confirmed to be from the Japan equivalent. With Phinks or at least the Pharoahs headpiece, it can easily be Egypt.

This

that's hardcore

FUCKING THIS!

Invalid, Togashi might not see jump as being worth the extra work. I know many animators that while great artist and talented like those stated in the interview give absolutely no fucks about paid studio production work.

Even key frame artist will not give a tenth of the same effort that they would give for a private project.

>Why assume symbolism from character design? The Ryodan look the way they do because they come from a city of junk. Phinks' Pharoah clothing was either something he simply likes to wear and/or he and the hat both come from the HxH equivalent of Egypt.
>Remember that the world of HxH is ours but with continents rearranged, and we've already seen the NYC equivalent - in its exact location on the NA landmass. Hanzo and Basho are all but confirmed to be from the Japan equivalent. With Phinks or at least the Pharoahs headpiece, it can easily be Egypt.
But HxH is based on the modern world and modern Egyptians don't really dress like that. Moreover, when Phinks isn't using the Egyptian garb, he is in a tracksuit, which seems completely unrelated to the Egyptian stuff (although more related to his powers)

And don't get me wrong. I just think Togashi's character designs are simply based on two things: rule of cool and easy to tell apart. He is probably content with the designs when those criteria are met. And those are important criteria, but conforming with them is still enough to make his designs worse than those of most popular Shonen artists.

Did I suddenly gain a bit of respect for Kishimoto?

He actually sounds pretty intelligent in this interview.

>I don't comprehend it so it's bad
Next you'll tell me you speedread it.

JoJo was published in Weekly Shonen Jump for 17 years you dope, and Ultra Jump for 13.

>RPG isekai series
But I've always liked them.

Pretty fucking hypocritical since Togashit based an entire arc of HxH around RPG isekai

Okay, what Isekai do you like, Sup Forums? I like cooking, agriculture and pic related