Pre-2000s Thread

Get in here oldfags. What are you watching?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=x15FB1xKcOw
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Started Dominion.
eventually are these gonna be pre-2010s threads?

Literally watched The Cockpit yesterday for the first time.

Didn't know I was going to see Captain Harlock : 1940 Boogaloo.

That dragon maid anime and the new kino no tabi

I don't think so. 2000 works as a good cut off point because that's roughly the point of transition from cel to digital.

I'm Going to finish Devilman Lady tonight. It is a shame that the show had cheap art and animation at times, but the writing is fantastic and it never falters in maintaining the dark and tragic tone it was going for. Jun was a really well written character and they did a great job making her character arc, the plot, and the themes fit together so tightly.

I rewatched BGC recently, still has my favourite mecha designs , and some of the hypeist battle choreography ever at times.

I also watched the 93 Minky Momo ova, it was pretty damn sweet and magical. I would definitely recommend it.

Wanting to reminisce about Punie-Chan and Ramen Fighter Miki on Sup Forums is suffering.

I'm watching KOG and ZZ Gundam back to back right now.

marathoning DBZ for the time ever (only seen out of order episodes as a kid before this) and gonna see how long I last.

Random thoughts for whoever cares:
It's slow like everyone says, but not THAT slow. It crawls along at a pace that always gives you a few cool moments in an episode.

Masako Nozawa is a little more convincing as an young adult man that I remember, at least she she's not screaming.

Some of the filler's really bad, but I like some of it. It turns half the Saiyan arc into a sol/comedy (fine by me because the manga's a little TOO nonstop action oriented from me) and gives you a calm-before-the-storm vibe before shit hits the fan with Nappa.

Really good looking show. Lots of grimy sketchy linework and shading, good looking background paintings, etc. I like that first episode where "nothing happens" because it convincingly sets the tone that the world here is a big swath of untamed wilderness.

let me un-butcher this sentence
>Masako Nozawa is a little more convincing as a young adult man that I remember, at least when she's not screaming.

Finished Utena yesterday and overall I'm just really unimpressed. I know I for one wasn't ready for THREE fucking recap episodes in a 39 episode series, especially one thats so damn repetitive. Like, yeah okay the last one had some merit since they super casually swiped Utena's V card when no one was looking but still.

Why was Anthy so insufferable from beginning to end? Was I actually supposed to feel sympathy for her?

Why was Nanami the worst female character ever created?

Why did Chu-Chu hatch out of Nanami's egg? He could've picked a surrogate who was far less likely to get him killed if he'd picked any other character. And what was he? A demon, a god, a regular monkey who didn't hatch out of the egg at all?

I went looking for answers online and I was told Utena took Anthy's place as the Rose Bride but thats not what I took from the finale. So where did Utena go? And even if she DID take her place, she wouldn't have just disappeared right? I mean, Anthy was at the school as the rose bride so why couldn't Utena be there too?

How is the manga compared to the anime? How much of this nonsense was just Ikuhara being lol so eccentric? I have a feeling the manga was much more straight forward and easier to digest because you can't waste pages doing the exact same thing 40 times without getting canned. inb4 2deep for you. It didn't even make complete sense to the people who seem to have sat down and studied it, it was literally just Art House; The Anime and Ikuhara's eccentricity detracted from the story.

Basically this. Every period of time has a different feel and general approach to production, but there's basically no replicating the look of the methods required for handpainting and shooting physical objects like cells captured on film.

>eventually are these gonna be pre-2010s threads?
Hopefully fucking not

>Why was Anthy so insufferable from beginning to end? Was I actually supposed to feel sympathy for her?
Yes, probably. She's basically a non-character for a majority of the show because when the mysteries surrounding her are revealed, and the actions she takes in the final arc of the show, are meant as a feminist statement.
>Why was Nanami the worst female character ever created?
She's a parody of shoujo brocons.
>Why did Chu-Chu hatch out of Nanami's egg? He could've picked a surrogate who was far less likely to get him killed if he'd picked any other character. And what was he? A demon, a god, a regular monkey who didn't hatch out of the egg at all?
That one I can't answer. Just a gag.

This is the most typical pleb response to a first watch of Utena.

Anthy is a brilliant character. She seems passive, but is controlling a lot of characters in subtle ways. She is easy to write off a boring and insufferable, but as we learn about her past and see the abusive relationship that she's trapped in, these insufferable aspects of her personality become tragic and almost pitiable.

Nanami is the best fuck off.

Utena didn't become the Rose Bride, she left Ohtori, which isn't really a place at all but some kind of metaphorical realm of adolescence. She saw past the illusion of this world of princes and rose brides and was able to leave and inspire Anthy to do the same.

Space Adventure Cobra (1982) as part of a group-watch thing somebody on /m/ started. I'm enjoying every minute of it.

This has been one I wanted to watch for the longest time, but I am only now getting around to it. I just finished watching all of the pre-2000 stuff last week, about halfway finished with the newer series.

i downloaded this inspired by the /m/ watch but haven't actually started it yet

There is so much symbolism and nuance packed into Utena that you can't be faulted for not understanding it all the first time around. That's what makes the show so great, however: it has raw entertainment value, but also actively encourages you to rewatch it. Go watch it again a couple of months down the track and watch as everything gets recontextualised.

To be fair, you have to have a very high IQ to understand Utena. The humour is extremely subtle, and without a solid grasp of theoretical physics most of the jokes will go over a typical viewer’s head. There’s also Utena's nihilistic outlook, which is deftly woven into her characterisation-her personal philosophy draws heavily from Narodnaya Volya literature, for instance.

Please don't get reddit all over everything.

It'll be pre-2020, and the transition from digital to CGI

Finished Dragonball and got like ten episodes left of Joe part one after that I'll probably rewatch Bubblegum Crisis since I have the BDs and the first time around I watched the DVD version and I've been in a rewatch mood lately. I'll probably finally start either Takarajima since I'm nearly done with the book or Onisama e...

What are some shows you wish would get a BD release? I think Dirty Pair would look amazing especially since it has a lot of nice mecha designs and the backgrounds are awesome.

ikuhara is a good director but a shit writer

hxh definitely

Recently watched Tokyo Godfathers for the first time since it was the last remaining thing I haven't yet seen from Kon. Wish I had watched it sooner since it was pretty funny, the homo easily made the movie. Though I feel the ending is too abrupt.

Also watched the escaflowne movie and didn't like it at all. Not sure what the point of the movie was.

Sadly, this may not be far from the mark. The industry seems eager for CG to master the faux hand drawn look... Toei gets a little closer every year, and they're nearing the point that casual viewers won't notice/care.
I think some studios can hand on to the boutique model of keeping 2D around (similar to the few studios here and there which have specialized in stop motion animation)...

>Why was Nanami the worst female character ever created?
Ah, shit taste. It transcends generations.

Ugh that Escaflowne movie. Painful.

Slayers badly needs a remastered BD release. I hear rumors that the original film masters don't exist anymore but I don't know if that's the reason it hasn't gotten one yet.

I'm not an oldfag I'm 24
and I've been rewatching Burn up!

I want to exterminate CGfags

the only CGI that's acceptable is in the Lensman movie and that's it.

picked up

another thread made me start re-watching some Dirty Pair. And Im gonna be honest, not really a show you want to binge watch. I mean I like it and it's fun and shit but you can only take so much of their bickering and thirstyness. Pretty much every episode is SQUABBLE SQUABBLE I WISH I HAD A HANDSOME DICK IN M.

well it's an episodic TV show, not a netflix thing

People need to stop with the FILM WAS LOST IN A FIRE HURRR rumors...
The reason your favorite show wasn't remastered is because studios are cheap as hell and don't want to drop the cash to rescan the negative (or positive, if they want to save $ on some steps) and pay for proper color timing and mastering (which starts adding up real quick on a TV series, for example)... and of course the rights issues often involved (for example if one member of the production committee ends up with the negative but no longer want to cooperate with the other years down the road, it could be more trouble than it is worth for a low selling title).
Films can go missing... Project A-ko was the only film in the set not remastered for DVD on the jp release, and when CPM and later discotek inquired, the reply was that the negative was still not found.
It can happen, but usually it is simply cost/indifference.

Im cool with the episode thing and like I said I DO like it. I just need to try and space the episodes out more

Dumb bitch.

I'm watching Maison Ikkoku right now and it looks gorgeous in HD, the art detail and character animation is really impressive for a 96-episode TV series.

What other pre-90s TV anime with high production values are there? Only Space Adventure Cobra and City Hunter come to my mind

I liked Burn Up, it's a shame that Burn Up W was kind of disappointing in comparison, though the the 2nd episode with the cyber idol and Eva was really good. Burn Up just felt like classic girls with guns OVA fun, W seemed kind of cynical in comparison in just how little effort seemed to be put into anything other than the fan-service.

How are Avatar's subs? It's the one I've got and I'm considering making this my next lengthy series.

Ashita no Joe 2 and Zeta Gundam look great

What's not to like?

Man things got super dark super fast in that show.

Finished Gunbuster yesterday, pretty silly at first, but last two episodes were absolutely worth the (short) wait. It was great seeing some Anno's trademarks too. I actually did see it some 20 years ago but it was in utterly shit quality and I didn't remember a thing from it.
Is Diebuster worth my time?

Diebuster is a lot better than Gunbuster but it's still not very good

>Diebuster is a lot better than Gunbuster but it's still not very good

I've been watching Bakuretsu Hunters and burning through my backlog. This is the first anime season in years I'm not watching everything so I have so much time for other shows. I picked this show up just because of how hot Chocolate looks and I am so far not disappointed.

It's much a better paced story

Gunbuster is one of the worst anime I've ever watched so it's not difficult to top

>It's much a better paced story
Pacing's not everything
>Gunbuster is one of the worst anime I've ever watched so it's not difficult to top
t. homosexual

Yes.
No.
It's much a shitter story.

Been watching the first Sailor Moon. It was one of those series that I saw a few episodes of as a kid, but never was able to sit down and watch the whole show. So, now I'm doing that and if I like it well enough, I'll watch the other Sailor Moon series.

I love the OP so much. Moonlight Densetsu is my fucking jam.

>fine by me because the manga's a little TOO nonstop action oriented from me
Wasn`t there a recent interview with one of the writers who had to make episodes out of one page or something like that?

>Pacing's not everything

It's a very large SOMETHING though. I ain't saying Gun don't get higher highs but getting to the last two and half good episodes is more of a slog than it needs to be.

Also

>Hur dur he doesn't like an old anime as much as an old one I better call him a fag for no reason because that makes sense as an argument regarding a shows quality.

>Hur dur he doesn't like an old anime as much as an old one
I don't get it

this show is fucking terrible but the OP kicks ass

Decided to revisit the original Tekkaman after finally getting a hold of the HK subs. They're surprisingly decent for being HK subs too.

Diebuster is fucking awful and I don't know why they made it. Other than perhaps some disturbing effort to try and deliberately tank their own reputation.

I got around to watching Do You Remember Love recently and it was infinitely better than SDF but that's not a very high bar to jump.

Saying inb42deep4u doesn't make you any less of a faggot. Honestly, if you've never read a book before, like actual literature and not Harry Potter or Game of Thrones or LOTR or some other shit genre fiction, you'll never understand Utena on your first watch.

Utena is semotic masterpiece. Every single episode, every single, every frame is more than just its face value and it all connects to eachother. And yes, even the episode where Nanami is a cow and the episode where she hunts an elephant. Nanami is a black tinged moe character who is struggling to hold onto her innocence, she mirrors Utena in a lot of ways. Not innocence in the sense that she is “good”, but innocence in the sense that she has some purity she clings to and wishes to keep uncorrupted. I could honestly talk about Nanami for hours. I just love the way the series take this tender character that is completely stomped all over while at the same time having Nanami come out of it as probably the most relatable and sympathetic character in the show.

At lot of people complain that Utena's conclusion sucked and a lot of the characters never went anywhere. But that's the point, in the grand scheme of things, Nanami really does not matter too much, but her journey and character really stuck with me throughout and I love her for that. Utena is about the about the characters and their journey, not just the ending.

Pretty much this.

youtube.com/watch?v=x15FB1xKcOw

What am I supposed to do until BakaBT opens up registrations again?

I can't watch anything old, no torrents anywhere

I cannot read or hear "Utena" without thinking about female incontinence products.
Makes it really hard to take it seriously when the main character sounds like she's named after a brand of diapers.

stream it

Nyaa. This is like the 4th time today I've had to direct someone to nyaa. user, you sure have lost your touch over the years.

Nyaa they say, Nyaa, nyaa.
You think I haven't checked it yet? It's freaking LACKING, man. Downloaded Key the Metal Idol, all it has are fucking ITALIAN subs! I don't fucking speak Italian!

Nyaa doesn’t have shit

Only animebytes has a decent collection of old anime now. The scene is a shit show

Also good luck getting an ab invite, and good luck remembering to constantly log in or they’ll lock your account and bitch at you for not logging on even though you’ve been seeding

This is why I’m on a break from anime. I don’t want to have to jump through fucking hoops to get something that isn’t current season or older shonenshit

Disregard that, I suck cocks.
Apparently I just downloaded the wrong version. Fixing that right now.

Still, Nya mostly sucks. When will BakaBT open up again?

I just searched for Key and the ED release is right there in English. Are you retarded?

I really think it was 2deep4u. You seem to want all the answers spoonfed to you, instead of trying to figure things out for yourself. The show is meant to make you think, but all you're doing is whining.

I told you in a previous thread not to take the show at face value, but it's clear you ignored me since you continue to see the show in a completely literal light. The fact that you are so focused on the egg episode (a throwaway joke episode with no relevance to the plot) goes to show that. Utena is a satire, but you have taken it completely seriously, and that's why you didn't like it.

everything is on KM

But I just got everything I wanted off nyaa today. Gunsmith Cats, Dirty Pair, that other manga the Gunsmith Cats guy did that isn't Bean, Blue Submarine No. 6. It can't be that bad.

Sorry for not lurking - but KM?

That’s all well known, soon you’ll see the drought

I wouldn't call it just a satire completely though. It definitely has elements of satire and Nanami pretty much bleeds satire. Chu too. Like Nanami is just SO BAD at planning and being cunning. She's trying so hard to be the top of a social hierarchy but she's literally a nornal highschool girl competing with deception masters. She's just sooo normal compared to everyone else, it's great. I could never hate Nanami or think she's useless because of how precious and not dangerous she is.

The episode where Nanami turns into a cow and Utena's duels her as a bullfighter is just completely genius. It's an illogical situation solved my a logical resolution. It's just so slapstick in such a serious show that I love it. Even her turning into an animal is important because in the very next episode, someone brings up the idea that humans really are just animals acting on endocrine. I could go on, but essentially Nanami is used to downplay a lot of the real shit going on with her silly antics.

>friend is watching Utena for the first time
>"Why is Anthy smiling all the time? Does she have brain damage or something?"

Ranma looks great.

it's been a long while, so i'm going to rewatch martian successor on the DVD collection i forgot i had. gonna follow that up with irresponsible captain tylor. haven't seen em in so long, i've forgotten nearly everything about them.

Watched Assemble Insert the other day. It is a goofy little thing and I enjoyed it, but it wasn't all that great.

I'm currently at episode 37 of Hokuto no Ken.
Shin arc (first 22 episodes) sucked imo, everything that happens after is better.

Currently watching.
It's okay. Honestly just want to finish it so I can delete it because it's taking up a ton of room on my hard drive. It's okay though.

Kimagure Orange Road has pretty good animation as well.

>Anthy is a brilliant character. She seems passive, but is controlling a lot of characters in subtle ways. She is easy to write off a boring and insufferable, but as we learn about her past and see the abusive relationship that she's trapped in, these insufferable aspects of her personality become tragic and almost pitiable.

Honestly, no. The fact she's manipulating things behind the scenes and acts the way she does BECAUSE she's in an abusive relationship makes me hate her all the more because wow, what an original reason to make someone act like a complete cunt. In the first few episodes I said 'wow, why is everyone hitting this bitch?' and at the end I said 'stab her with a few hundred more swords, she deserves it'. She may have had some sympathy from me at the very beginning but as things progressed I grew to hate her more and more. And I'm not even sure if I hate her or Nanami more because both were shit, but in different ways.

>she left Ohtori, which isn't really a place at all but some kind of metaphorical realm of adolescence

Good answer, I'll take this into consideration the next time I dwell on the series. That certainly adds a different perspective to the setting but that doesn't really explain why Anthy was suddenly able to leave. If she's still the Rose Bride then she's still chained to that title and the rules still apply to her. I found information that said she and Akio were Hindu gods and if she can leave while still being the Rose Bride then why didn't she do it before? Even a goddess labeled a witch still has enough self awareness to choose not to go along with it. Or is the Rose Bride just an allegory for something else and not a real thing in the first place?

I was born in 1990, Utena IS my generation and Nanami still a shit.

My favorite book is One Flew Over the Cuckoos Nest. Utena was just try hard drivel from my experience, it just stuffed so many metaphors and allegories and symbolism into every single episode that it took away any deeper meaning it may have had. If you have to watch or even read something multiple times to even understand the basic story line because its so convoluted behind the walls and walls of subtext then you're doing something wrong. A pleb should be able to watch this and enjoy the story even if they don't understand the subtext. Thats what makes subtext so great, you don't NEED it to get something out of the story but instead it adds onto the story, it compliments it to give a deeper meaning to those who see it. But by no means should a Symbolism 101 class be necessary to derive any and all pleasure from a work. Thats called being factitious.

>struggling to hold onto her innocence

Nanami lost her innocence the moment she murdered a fucking cat out of jealousy. Thats not something sane, let alone innocent, people do. Its just not. She was rotten from the very start and no amount of character arcs can redeem her.

No, thats where you're wrong. I did listen to you. Thats why I went searching for some insight because I was clearly overthinking the symbolism, at least in the first half, so I wanted to know what to look out for. It didn't help because everyone is interpreting this a different way so my experience is clearly going to different from yours and everyone else whose written on the subject. Like I said, someone said Chu-Chu was likely some kind of other being like Anthy and Akio and him hatching out of the egg was proof of that, not a 'throwaway' episode like other user said. Also, I found information that told me Utena took Anthy's place as the Rose Bride and thats why the latter was able to leave the academy but that is not the case according to the anons here.

There's no km.

You're just retarded. There are plenty of DDL sites, IRC, and at least one torrent site that's currently accepting registrations. BakaBT going private really separated the wheat from the chaff, if anything. And you can still get in if you just go to IRC and do their faggy 5 minute interview or whatever.

Get good.

Does Conan count?

can not find a torrent anywhere ;_;

submitted on nyaa 4 days ago

you can almost every good retro show from either nyaa or piratebay

yeah they don't have the really obscure shitty stuff but it isn't even worth watching

I think I watched BubbleGum Crisis: Tinsel City (OVA 1) about forty times.

Finished Zeta Gundam a few days ago, shit man that sure was a ride
ZZ is fun so far

I will never understand the giant hateboner that the people on this fucking site seem to have for streaming.

There's nothing wrong with it. It looks and sounds perfectly fine. And unless you intend to rewatch a show/movie more than once, why wouldn't you simply stream it?

>There's nothing wrong with it. It looks and sounds perfectly fine.

Honestly the thing I have against streaming sites is mainly because they're trying to turn an illegitimate profit from the ads they place on their sites.

Yes, I know I can just use an adblock but avoiding giving their sites traffic works just as well.