How does one get into Gundam? There's like six gorillion different shows. Which ones are must sees...

How does one get into Gundam? There's like six gorillion different shows. Which ones are must sees? Which is a good starting point?

how old are you, this is pretty important for a good answer

begin from the first one from 1979 and go in the order they aired

This

How about the first one?

dont do this, nostalgia fag territory

I'm a newfag like you when it comes to the gundams.
I watched The 08th MS, then original, then IBO, then tnuhderbolt, now working on 00.
Just start somewhere, reallly.

Give a reason at least.

Looks like it aged poorly, that's why I am asking
I am 23

use this, start with 90 stuff and SEED

You already got your answer, what else do you want? Watch it in release order and skip Wing, SEED and AGE. That's it.

Start with 0079.
If you have the time, watch the tv series. Otherwise watch the films. The dated animation may be too much at first, but I can assure you that you will warm up to it over time.
If you really don't want to start with the old stuff first, then I recommend Gundam 00.

You watch war in pocket, that's the only good one.

just because it's a must watch doesnt mean you should start there

start with G-Gundam, the art style is better than mobile suit and it's better as an entry level to get a feel for the series

Thanks dudes

Start from the first one. What's so hard about this?

The animation is pretty shoddy, even given the time period, but the choreography and characters more than make up for it.

Oh no, it's poorly aged animation. The themes of the story are still pretty great, but you should watch the original recap movie trilogy (Mobile Suit Gundam, Soldiers of Sorrow, Encounters in Space) so that you can get the basics of the story, because literally every single show is either in the direct continuity of or is inspired by it.

It's ultimately still a pretty entertaining experience, and will allow you to actually comprehend better shows, like Zeta Gundam, Stardust Memory, and 08th MS Team while also helping you understand references and themes in Turn A Gundam, 00 Gundam, Build Fighters, and so on.

If you don't watch anything else, you should at least watch the original film trilogy.

macross is best gundam
next best is boku no pico

G Gundam is the worst show to start with because it might as well be its own show outside of gundam. Though I suppose due to that, you can watch it anytime without any knowledge of Gundam.
Basically it gives the wrong impression of the franchise.

Should I watch all 50 episode of 79 or just the 3 movies

movies, fuck the episodes with their filler nonsense

Thank you for all the answers, guys. I will delete the thread now.

The only episode that could be called filler was Doan's Island; and even that ep is enjoyable to watch, if only for the hilarious amount of QUALITY.

It's up to your taste. The series is obviously a longer investment, and its length might be offputting, but the recap movies do cut some plot important content but are still a pretty decent package, including some updated animation that makes it horribly off-model less often.

I started with the original movie trilogy, and as far as I can tell there isn't a significant plot event that I missed that was referenced by later entries.

>it gives the wrong impression

i would agree if we were still in the age of vhs but being a bit stand alone is good for entry imo, from here he could branch off into a direction he would like more without spoiling anything

Cool, I'll check out the movies. Can the same be said for the other shows? like Zeta

its has nothing to do with being standalone you fag, Ggundam is completely different from the rest of the franchise bar maybe build fighters.

if you want to give him something standalone at least give him war in the pocket or 08th ms team even if they are better after watching 0079.

It's bad as a first impression because no one in the franchise will amount to Master Asia.

All the other compilation movies are dogshit
You should watch the 0079 TV series by the way, the movies are alright refreshers but they skip a lot of character stuff

I've only heard bad things about the zeta films

dont watch the UC recap movies

To an extent. I haven't personally watched the New Translation films (the Zeta Gundam film trilogy) but I've heard that they cut a fairly significant amount of content important to plot and characterization. It also includes some reanimated scenes, but being that they were animated so many years after Zeta was released (1985 vs 2006) as opposed to the 0079 films (1979 vs 1981) the animation style and quality is vastly different, making for a slightly disorienting experience.

I'm not sure about the quality of the non-Universal Century films, so I can't comment there. However, if it's just an OVA series, I'd just stick to the OVAs.

Also, as an aside, if you plan on working all the way through the series, I'd watch it in Japanese. The English voices are inconsistent for the most part - the film trilogy was dubbed by a different group than the main series, the actors from 0079 to Zeta changed due to a voice actors strike, ZZ isn't even available in English, Char's Counterattack returns to the 0079 series actors, and then everyone gets new voices in Unicorn again (which also ruins a key scene at the end of the last episode that involves characters from 0079). You'd also miss references in other series: Ribbons Almark (00 Gundam) is voiced by the same actor who does Amuro Ray (0079), and the two mobile suits that Ribbons uses are direct references to 0079 (with O Gundam literally just being the original Gundam in the 0079 style, and the Reborns Gundam being a direct reference to the Hi-Nu Gundam).

/thread

Don't skip SEED. It has the best designed Gundam ever created. So good they used it AGAIN as the main in Build Fighters.

I might also be biased because i am a sucker for mecha utilizing upgrade packs

>it has nothing to do with standalone
>it's completely different

shut up retard

you dont start off with blue sturgeon when you're developing taste for caviar

you have to get an attachment to the series somehow

>Turn A Gundam
>regarded by many as a low point in the series
What the fuck?

>comprehend better shows like Stardust Memory and 08th MS Team
I really hope you mean "comprehend shows better".

If ya plan on watchin 00, I hold a weekly 00 stream each saturday at midnight.

I watched them in chronological order last summer. Marathoned them, really. I felt it was the right way to watch them, but keep in mind I'm not bothered at all by dated animation.