In a world where the government claims to be able to prevent crime 100% of the time...

>in a world where the government claims to be able to prevent crime 100% of the time... our heroes discover the horrifying truth... that it is only able to do so 99.9% of the time

wow

truly thought-provoking hard sci-fi that really makes you contemplate the nature of justice and the role of power in society

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=idJkLAB3-y4
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Murder_of_Kitty_Genovese
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

The system that predicts crime... IS PEOPLE

Yeah, that was even dumber.

>you thought the system was artificial intelligence... fool! it was actually semi-artificial intelligence! that produces the exact same results!

Considering how much chaos one person who is above the law was able to cause, it definitely is a huge deal. Imagine if you are immune to police weapons, and you go out killing random people. Wouldn't that be a problem?

Also, that one guy who is immune was about to destroy the entire country's agricultural system... oops. It was up to a bunch of misfit policemen using old fashioned guns to stop him.

How about you install locks to vital infrastructure and allow cops to carry old guns. Fucking hell, the premise is retarded

>being content having some deified "machine" condemn you to death on a whim
>what is the blackstone formulation

Is this worth the watch? I dropped it after 3 episodes.

>allow cops to carry old guns.
Are you dumb? The whole point is that the police shouldn't be able to act without Sibyl's discretion. Giving people guns would completely compromise Sibyl's point.

>Allow cops to carry old guns
That would make the whole Sybil system meaningless you brainlet.
The reason they aren't allowed to carry old guns is because that would enable them to circumvent the Sibyl system's judgment and make their own judgment.
The only reason the Sibyl system couldn't judge Shougo was because he was a multiple person just like the system.

>Mfw Psycho pass is legitimately 2deep4u for some people

How is employment rate at 99% when literally all of the neccessary supplies are fabricated automatically?

The problem was more the fact that many many people are enprisoned without having commited any crime.
In 1984 it's obviously bad but when it's less extreme and in the name of safety is that acceptable?
The only countries doing it right now are Cuba and North Korea

Fuck no.

>See a person doing a colorado
>Well I guess we must obey Sibyls judgement and not pull out this 0.38

Thats retarded. You can follow Sibyl and still detain problematic spreekillers

The antagonist is fine,but the othwr good character vanishes,so decide for yourself

And that's exactly what Akane did.
Giving a police officer a gun and saying that Sibyl is sometimes wrong would completely destroy the framework of the society.

Except if the system was possible to circumvent whenever the officers chose to, then there would be no meaning in having the system at all.
The point is that the system is going to make all the hard decisions while the officers are the ones enforcing the systems decision.
The system is cold and calculating and makes near-perfect decisions, a human is far from this reliable and would consistently make wrong decisions.
You are literally a brainlet who couldn't understand the premise.

Because people aren't put in jail or killed for crimes they didn't commit that doesn't happen in America

MURICA

>If we let our kids to smoke pot,listen to rock and drink booze the whole fabric of society will collapse!

They were right.

It's literally too hard for you to understand.

I pity you and envy your ignorance

Please read: The Sibyl system only works because people believe it's perfect.

Is it hard pretending to be retarded all the time or are you just naturally gifted?

>have flawless stun gun
>lol no you can't use it without Sibyl analyzing the guy's mind :^)
>why? it's non-lethal
>knocking people out is judging :^)
>fuck you
>also if the guy is really bad your gun is a instant death sentence
>why? we could just use the stun gun and have Sibyl judge after instead of analyzing their minds on the go when they're stressed which is proven to fuck numbers and is retarded by design
>CYBERPUNK NIGGA :^)

>missing the entire point

I have no doubt you people are retarded but I will explain

Since the system wasn't really artificial intelligence, what gave it legitimacy? What is different from it than the current system? What is right about a brain, or various brains whatever, choosing your fate?

Goddamn brainlets

Stress is a detrimental aspect of humans and needs to be stamped out, simple really.
If you cannot maintain a clear head in a stressful situation then you aren't worth the potential risk.

Clearly public knowing that a crime prevention and criminal system system only has 99.9% success rate would destroy the society. Its not like that the fact that its more accurate than current methods would matter at all. Clearly its either no system or everyone blindly believes the system

Youre all just too stupid to understand realities of life. Of course it works in shitty scifi but its still retarded no matter how hard you spin it.

Is the movie worth watching?

if you are a brainlet no need to answer

MY god the Sibyl system pissed me off so much. It was so fucking stupid.

There was alot of dumb shit in it.

>defenseless girl can't maintain a clear head right after being raped
>this means she'll get in another extreme situation someday and kill someone for no reason

how

It wouldn't destroy society you goddamn idiot, it would destroy THE SYSTEM and SYBIL DOESN'T WANT TO BE DESTROYED.

Holy shit you are an imbecile.

So do I watch S2? What about the movie?

doing things for people who are too busy doing other things for other people to do them themselves

>lol no you can't use it without Sibyl analyzing the guy's mind :^)
Yeah so?
>why? it's non-lethal
Stunning everyone you see in a dangerous situation is not a reliable way to keep society under control in the long run.

>knocking people out is judging :^)
It quite literally is.

>why? we could just use the stun gun and have Sibyl judge after instead of analyzing their minds on the go when they're stressed which is proven to fuck numbers and is retarded by design
Sibyl's decision making wouldn't change with more time. The increased numbers a flaw in the system and should be ignored by the police. It would just be safer to kill them there rather than to risk a failure that involved the stun not working, which did happen before.

>Its not like that the fact that its more accurate than current methods would matter at all.
Obviously people would agree with it, but to wholly trust in it in every facet of your life and to be completely broken in by the system would require a belief in it's absolute perfection.

please fucking read this:

Yes, the public and law makers would discard a system that has 99.) % succesrate because some people are immune to it. Why would army use artillery if there are tanks?

>implying Sibyl wants to give fair judgement

It just wants to eliminate crime you retarded nigger. It doesn't care that it gives bad judgement. Oh my god the level of stupidness here is beyond what I expected.

He literally explained it to you. Just because of the "potenrial risk" they would get raped. Stressed people makes other people stressed too and that bothers the perfect system Sibyl has created.

Holy shit dumb niggers

Would only destroy sybil's bullshit

Why would everyone blindly accept stupid ass AI overlord to be a 100% accurate God anyay? Premise is flawed from the start

This show also introduced me to an amazing band which is Ling Toshite Sigure of course.
youtube.com/watch?v=idJkLAB3-y4

You're not a real fan unless you have the entire discog including TK's solo and film works.
Don't be an animefag that only listens to the op's because UR NOT A REAL FAN IF YOU DO.

>Why would everyone blindly accept stupid ass AI overlord to be a 100% accurate God anyay?
When your world if falling apart before you you'll accept almost anything.

>S2
Only if you want to watch literally the worst anime sequel ever made

Because even that 1 percent difference can make an extreme difference in people's minds. Sibyl demands absolute subservience not just a general respect that can be ignored at times.

Just because you want everything decided for you doesn't mean everyone wants it.

The system literally only works because people believe in it. Of course some people (like you) would still agree to it. Did you even watch the fucking show you retarded?

Because that's the point the main fucking character does you fucking stupid nigger. She still prefers the Sibyl system because it's the closest they've got.

Holy crap have you realized how retarded you are yet? Because i'm out. Some other anons can explain everything to you if you still haven't got it, dumb nigger.

Can all of you people stop being so aggressive? You are all starting to cloud my Psycho-Pass, and I don't really want to deal with therapy again. The system is fine.

Why doesn't Sybil use a camera to judge people when it can't read their minds? Surely seeing someone kill someone else is enough to judge them guilty.

>Why would everyone blindly accept stupid ass AI overlord to be a 100% accurate God anyay? Premise is flawed from the start

Well... Why would people blindly believe in politicians? Well, they do anyways.

Fucking retarded

They did though

I don't know why people think it's that bad. It continued the themes of the first one.

Oh yeah, there was no gay homolust protag and antagonist. People miss the guy.

Fucking superficial reasons if you ask me.

Our modern worlds is and has sometimes been absolute subservice already user. Were doing okay and our error margins are much higher.

>The system literally only works because people believe in it
People would still believe in it. Nobody goes "Oh no lets scrap our justice system because 0.01 percent error!"

>Its the main point
Yes, and the show is retarded

>Since the system wasn't really artificial intelligence, what gave it legitimacy?

The fact that it worked?

Which system would you rather live in?

>Sibyll prevents crime 99.9% of the time, the other 0.01% is dealt with by police officer judgment
or
>today

I know what I'd choose.

They didn't when it was Makishima doing it.

>Yeah so?
So cops are utterly defenseless if they can't reach Sibyl for any reason. Telecommunications aren't magic. Processing also takes time. The whole process to analyze people on the go is bullshit.

>Stunning everyone you see in a dangerous situation is not a reliable way to keep society under control in the long run.
Yes. Instead of that, let's do the exact same but only after sending a webcam picture of them to our supercomputer so he can determine their mental state in depth. THEN we can stun them after they've had the time to stab us.
>a-at least they don't stab people for nothing
Instead of using this 100% non lethal efficient method, they PIZZA the shit out of people when they're bad enough. Because that's guaranteed to make people feel safer, death and blood aren't stressful.

>Sibyl's decision making wouldn't change with more time
It fucking does. You wait 30 seconds and the guy is suddenly okay. Then he's a murderer. Then just a stun candidate.

It's fucking retarded. Using the stun or the lethal gun shouldn't be a matter of how evil the guy is. Judgement logically happens AFTER you caught the guy, not DURING. You might need to take down an okay guy if the situation asks for it. You can even do that with your bare hands but stunning them? No way. On the other hand someone who seems bad might not be an immediate danger and needn't to die right here.

My point is, it's not about how evil you are. The whole concept is stupid.

>Our modern worlds is and has sometimes been absolute subservice already user. Were doing okay and our error margins are much higher.
If you won't read: There's no point in arguing with you. The Sibyl System's incredibly high accuracy makes it all the more important that they can't make an error. If you want to know why read the fucking image

That's not employment user.
They're given roles in society to follow by a machine that they defer to for nearly all things in society. That's busy work so they can earn a useless allowance.
A feudal system created solely to put people in their place and certain people(and "people" if you can call sybil human)at the top.

>Our modern worlds is and has sometimes been absolute subservice already user

Not really user. Not even close to Sibyl's system. And it's exactly because the system doesn't demand us that much and give people a degree of freedom is the reason the system works.

If it didn't work for the majority of people, it would crumble.

Just because you are a subservient rat doesn't mean everybody is, user.

>If you wont read my pasta then youre wrong!
Okay

>The Sibyl System's incredibly high accuracy makes it all the more important that they can't make an error.
Thats retarded. Youre fine with less accurate system because system with higher accuracy makes errors?

It's not the same kind of blind belief and you know it. A politician's power is limited. And even a retard like me on a chinese cartoon imageboard can see the obvious, glaring flaws Sibyl has. In PP, everyone agrees to make Sibyl top dog, master of everything.

I like Psycho Pass but the foundation doesn't make sense.

Every orwellian distopia makes you think "how the fuck did they let it happen", the point is not to make it believable (that's why it's called a distopia, the opposite of utopia), but to showcase and explore a society that somehow got to this point, and how people would behave and deal with its unique problems.

>girl gets beaten to death in broad daylight
>neither people nor robots react because they have LOST THE CONCEPT OF CRIME

Have they also lost the concept of accidents? What if instead of a human, the girl was being beaten by a, I dunno, malfunctioning industrial robot (which was a thing in the story!)?

>Just because you are a subservient rat doesn't mean everybody is, user.

Deontie detected. Living in fear of street gangs is the same as living in fear of the NKVD. You can't say about the former that "at least it's free!" because that isn't freedom by any meaningful definition.

Fair enough but usually you make that kind of stuff slightly more believable or take longer to happen

Have you considered the fact that author was a hack and his work is only parroted by people with brain damage?

I don't think they lost the concept of crime but certainly gained overwhelming amounts of apathy towards it. "It's never gonna happen, not with me, not in this country, not with Sybil in place." They self-brainwashed to the point of doubting what was going on in front of their very eyes. "It must be a prank, a movie, its a movie right? RIGHT?"

Anyway thats how i saw it.

>So cops are utterly defenseless if they can't reach Sibyl for any reason. Telecommunications aren't magic. Processing also takes time. The whole process to analyze people on the go is bullshit.
Sibyl doesn't use normal telecommunications if you didn't notice.

>Yes. Instead of that, let's do the exact same but only after sending a webcam picture of them to our supercomputer so he can determine their mental state in depth. THEN we can stun them after they've had the time to stab us.
Did you not watch the show the time delay was almost non existent. The system judged that the time delay was worth not giving police the right to judge, which if you actually watched the show made sense.

>It fucking does. You wait 30 seconds and the guy is suddenly okay. Then he's a murderer. Then just a stun candidate.
That's the point. The system isn't all powerful and that's why the system doesn't want people to question it. It's what made Akane's ability to understand the flaws yet still follow them perfectly make sense.

>Judgement logically happens AFTER you caught the guy, not DURING.
Why?

Did you even watch it? It was a train wreck just short of being so bad it’s funny. Awful villain, awful new characters, anything interesting from the first season removed, and no logical thought from the characters.

I actually liked S2's OP. At least once all the distortions kick in.

I can't shake the feeling S2 was a pure cashgrab, but I dont even know if S1 was that successful to warrant this kind of tactic..

While extreme, there is some basis to it. Especially considering the fucked up society they are in.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Murder_of_Kitty_Genovese

>And even a retard like me on a chinese cartoon imageboard can see the obvious, glaring flaws Sibyl has.
That's because you see literally the worst of the society and the Sibyl system isn't actively employing its information control over you.

This is the first actually good criticism in this thread.

Listen to the rest of the bands music.

Apparently they were just trying to kill time and keep it in public mind until the movie came out.

Is that a recommendation or a "you'll realize you were wrong"?

You linked that article but did you read it? It clearly says that the "bystander indifference" was basically a hoax.

>world
It was only japan and they cut themselves off from the rest of the world.

I like how much worse this thread is on Sup Forums than when we had the exact same thread of /lit/ where people used actually good argument

A recommendation. They're quite a unique band.

Well in the movie, the system is starting to spread to other countries. And even after it was convinced not to rig the election, it's puppet won anyway which probably means it'll spread even more.

So you would choose a system that could without you properly understanding it decide that you are clouded enough to be killed on the spot despite you personally feeling fine only that you were slightly extra stressed out this particular day?
Cool beans user.

>Sibyl doesn't use normal telecommunications if you didn't notice.
What do they use then? Magic is the only thing that'd be 100% reliable. You might bullshit that Sibyl is 100% reliable when it's clearly not and people sometimes kill each other on the street but you can't bullshit that they can always transmit the insane amount of data of one person's mind and make a judgement in a matter of seconds when they have a situation.

>That's the point. The system isn't all powerful and that's why the system doesn't want people to question it. It's what made Akane's ability to understand the flaws yet still follow them perfectly make sense.
That's also my point, why would Akane be the only one to see this?
I'm alright with a dystopian future not being very believeable but why create a system that's very obviously full of shit and relies on magic to work for no benefits (judging people on the fly brings nothings except shit) then have 2 or 3 of your characters notice how bullshit the system is while the civilians remain dumb as videogame NPCs?

It's not clever: the characters who notice are barely average, it just proves they're not dumb.
It's not a social comment, because the civilians really aren't humans. They're writer plot devices who act like they do to allow the story to exist.
What's left? Funny cop shenanigans. That's the good thing about PP.

Man, thats a lot of money and time spent just to keep it public... And it completely backfired

>people are actually defending system built of psychopaths and sociopaths
I'll take sociopaths with faces and limited lifespan over the immortal brain psychos.

And then as a bonus, S2:
>people are actually defending a system that kills a good chunk of itself and can actually be self-judged into basically oblivion

>>Sibyll prevents crime 99.9% of the time
How do you know it prevents crime 99% of time?
How do you know it doesn't actually murder a good chunk of extra people?

I mean I think it did alright. I'm pretty sure there are people waiting for an S3.

You're right m8. It's a good thing we live in a society where law enforcement never kills innocents on the spot, lol.

And yeah, instant execution is a dumb feature. But it doesn't have to be an essential one.

so is this just anime minority report?

Read 1984.
Brainwashing through control of all aspects of a persons life from brith conditions people into not questioning the system and believing in it wholeheartedly.
How are you so dumb that you are incapable of imagining a system like this?

Also it is a fucking sci-fi where they have hyper oats and sidearms that are capable of firing bullets that disintigrates combat robots.
Snipers that can fire these bullets through walls and pizza people.
The telecommunications aspect doesn't have to make sense using our own merit because it is a sci-fi fucks sake.

The conclusion wraps up the setting nicely. Oh wait, this series has no conclusion and never will.

Dude, go take a literature course or something. Most of Psycho-Pass's ideas are heavily influenced by the writings of Jeremy Bentham and John Stuart Mill, it's a direct criticism to the ideal society those two authors set out in their Utilitarian philosophy. How realistic it is is irrelevant; the sole purpose of the work is to present the failings of their ideology. There is literally no way Urobuchi could achieve that goal without actualising the world they wanted to see in his narrative.

In the first place, realism in general is irrelevant to art and literature because the purpose of those things is not to present the world as it actually is but to express a set of ideas through a narrative medium, which sometimes requires symbolism, metaphor, or suspension of disbelief. Seriously, go read Kafka or something, none of his stuff is grounded in any sort of reality because it's all a way for him to express absurdly his feelings about his life. Any piece of art which presents a world exactly congruent with the laws and mechanics of the world we understand would only ever do so to make a specific point revolving around its ultra-realism, that's how difficult it is to create realistic art.

You've not only missed the point of the work spectacularly here, you've done so in a way that would have been a poor criticism even if you hadn't missed it.

>but you can't bullshit that they can always transmit the insane amount of data of one person's mind and make a judgement in a matter of seconds when they have a situation.
Except they did. PP isn't exactly the hardest sci fi.

>then have 2 or 3 of your characters notice how bullshit the system is while the civilians remain dumb as videogame NPCs?
How could they notice. Sibyl System hides all the dirty work behind smiling holograms.

>then have 2 or 3 of your characters notice how bullshit the system is while the civilians remain dumb as videogame NPCs?
Indoctrination is one hell of a drug.

>>people are actually defending system built of psychopaths and sociopaths
It works. Who cares how?

>immortal brain psychos.
Hey man. The cyborg guy said they only could get 150 years out of a brain.

>Officers who kill innocents based on various amounts of circumstances is the same as a system saying that you are to be executed
You literally cannot be making this comparison seriously because that would make you really fucking dumb.
Our society doesn't have street cameras that can scan you and instantly notify the death squad to come clean you up.

Others have addresed your other points so I'm only going to add this in. What makes you think others AREN'T questioning the system? It just so happens that we see these people specifically since they are what the plot follows. For all you know, thousands could be doubting the system behind the scenes but do nothing to stop it.

We see plenty of instances of it not working though, like a rape victim who was nearly killed because she was panicking from just being raped and having the rapist get splattered all over her.
She didn't deserve to die but if Akane hadn't knocked Kogami out, she would have.

Man, you guys feel so strongly about your opinions huh? Some of you mock that its supposed to make you think yet it doesn't, but look at this thread and what you are discussing so passionately about. And don't bullshit me, all of you are thinking about it, about which type of society would be better, or if it is even that different from our own.

Sounds pretty thought-provoking to me, Anons.

Utilitarianism is a defeatist's ideology that robs the people of their own autonomy and their desire to own up to things.
Luckily Akane senpai sees this.

And then theres the episode where an entire shop full of civilians and an officer all get slaughtered because their psychopass had risen due to watching a crazy guy torture and beat people to death.

>Officers who kill innocents based on various amounts of circumstances is the same as a system saying that you are to be executed

Yes. In both cases, you die.

You are right: I don't want to live in a system where I can't be sure if I live or die tomorrow. Which system gives me more certainty?

1984 worked better for me because the control is actually omnipresent and everyone is labor from birth to death with no alternatives. PP's society is a lot more chill, so it just boils down to people being retards because of plot convenience (which hinders the social comment) and not indoctrination.

1984 is totalitarism, PP is "it just works"

>For all you know, thousands could be doubting the system behind the scenes but do nothing to stop it.
The problem is all the people who doubt the system get sent into therapy or just get killed.

I-it's not like I wanted to question our government or anything with you.

If you weren't clinically retarded you would understand that the difference between 100% and 99.9% for such a system is huge.