Discuss, Sup Forums...

Discuss, Sup Forums. Why does Retro anime look better than the new cookie cutter light novel adaptations that the anime industry is milking to death?

Depends on the retro anime and depends on the new anime, chances are it's because of the people who worked on it and the amount of time and money allotted to its production.

but the '10~ girl is cuter

I miss the way they used to draw boobs. They looked soft and natural. Now everybody is obsessed with lolis or balloon tits. Nothing bugs me more than when a girl with an average chest takes her shirt off in anime and suddenly her modest breasts transform into DDs.

Both can look good.
Though, seeing bad examples of the modern style is more annoying cause they are ever present.

I'm glad the contours of the head have softened. 90s cheek bones didn't even make sense.

Newsflash: Time continues to march on and styles change along with it. Budget or muh cels have literally nothing to do with it.

THIS!
We are in the age of cowboobs with terrible jiggle effects.
I don't want to imagine how bad something like Jungle de Ikou would have looked if made today.

This will be all anime in the '20s.

I can't stand 90's mouth jammed right up under the nose, I genuinely hate it.
Also not fond of 90's hair volume.
10's would be 'perfect' if 90's nose and pupil contrast was kept/brought over.
However despite my dislike of 90's, it does have more 'character' than 10's despite being the same person.

wide revolution

>not CGI abominations
Better than I'd expected

I don't like dotnose

Cel to digital transition in the 00s killed the earlier "rough" look of anime I reckon, that being said what is considered "cute" evolves with time so there isn't anything wrong with art following suit

Because nostalgia.

No this will

or this

The girls actually had proper bodily proportions, which even when as degenerate as I am, makes them more attractive. Their bodies have proper shape, so it's easier to imagine touching it. The animation to the right looks like it's soft, sure, but part of actually touching humans is feeling their muscles and bones underneath their skin. It's the contrast of soft, firm and hard that makes girls so attractive and good to touch.

CGI is our new overlord.

man that is not an extreme case of 90s

I like a variety. I appreciate the different forms of art for anime and unless it's actually bad art, I hope they keep producing different styles. Homogeneous animation is boring.

This looks good.

I miss the voluminous hair styles of the 90s. So much more interesting character designs back then. Now everything just looks like same-face + generic hair-down ""realistic""" shit, only difference being different shades of color.

This

I mean this season alone has so much variety-
and pic related are three shows I'm watching all with wildly different art style and character design and I love it all

Why did they drop the nose anyways? I'll never understand this, looks disgusting

Dunno but depending on the artstyle it looks better without it see But in other shows and styles its still there, see pic related.

Fuck I loved the animation for Kakegurui, when they went sadist-smug it gave me such a big grin. Surprised how much I liked the show, ended up watching the whole season in one sitting. Also, the ED is captivating.

Dot pupil is literally the best that could happen to anime
Loss of contour and nose are a shame tho

Moeshit was a mistake

>muh cels
Enjoy your CG faggot. You youngfags will have it rough yes indeedy.

You can have CG with cels, dumbass.

>CG anything
Spot the youngin.

What are you even trying to say you stupid faggot?

Calm down youngin you have plenty of CG to watch.

Don't tell me to calm down retard, I can get as angry as I fucking want.

Calm down youngin.

At least write something new, I can't get mad at the same post twice.

Currently there are no major anime studios who do cell animation.

I watch literally any old anime that has a good BD release just because I love the quality of the artwork. It's really a lot to appreciate and there are some things that are impossible to emulate digitally. An obvious one is how lighting works off devices in cel-shaded shows. As I understand it (someone correct me if I'm wrong) they literally put a light source under the cel when recording the frames.

I know, but even when cels were the norm some studios and directors still experimented with CG, the only reason it wasn't more common is because the technology was very primitive. It has nothing to do with using digital coloring.

It honestly just depends on what you're watching. One piece's animation was shit, for example.

New is better

Because you like different art styles, come on you aren't even trying anymore.

You lost son, Sup Forums is two blocks down.

There was shit in the 90's that looked like garbage. There is shit now that looks like garbage. You are retarded.

Because the faces have to be as flat as possible.

New is better, nostalgiafag.

things just change
if you like new just watch new shows
if you like old there are a lot of old shows to watch, it will take years to watch all the good old shows
and, as it was said , you have bad shit since the stone age

I'm gonna say it was a mix of anime aimed at older audiences being pretty niche, having to get very creative with the way you animated stuff since CGI was also very rare and trying to appeal to newer audiences, therefore evolving with the medium or literally flopping as a studio.

Mixing both surprisingly doesn't look like garbage.

This. In fact their whole bodies used to look more soft. I'm not sure why but they just did.

But they don't. Most old anime are ugly as fuck

Old pros: Noses, realistic sized breasts, no meme shit like stupid heart pupils or fugly 4 part haircuts (looking at you kemonos)

New pros: more human like skull shape, no more eyes going off the side of the head

I much prefer old. Not like everything looked like OP anyway, the anatomy was generally better. I've never been an unironic waifu fag, I have sex with real women and the anime characters I like the most are the ones like real girls

suddenly cuter than left

Your greasy body pillows are not real women, you delusional nostalgiafag. No anime girl parallels real girls’ personalities. Get out of your mother’s basement and quit fucking your pillows.

>No anime girl parallels real girls’ personalities
This virgin believes this. Then again you are probably an American. Worst country in the world

Most girls are cute and feminine all over the world

somebody post otaking's wank on shading
because it's basically that and cost cutting measures
studios still occasionally make "retro" styled anime that looks awesome, the problem is 90% of the time you either A) have to dump a bunch of money into it or B) hire slaves, and Japan has been slowly getting dragged kicking and screaming into the 21st century regarding B.

The anime industry is no longer ruled by like two key animators or directors/authors.

>Most girls are cute and feminine all over the world
What country do you live in?

>implying the left one looks better
Get that troglodyte shit out of here, grandpa.

Lel. Fuck off back to your third world country.

>Most girls are cute and feminine all over the world
Haahaahaaa

Had more personality.

This is factually wrong. Simpler clearer character designs look much better and aesthetically pleaseant than more complex character designs. See old Kino vs 2017 Kino.

>As I understand it (someone correct me if I'm wrong) they literally put a light source under the cel when recording the frames.
You are correct.

Exactly! I like the personality that the right's face and hair has, but like the eyes and soft colours of the left more.

What if WIDE 3DCG?

>See old Kino vs 2017 Kino.
They're both simple designs, user. Kino's a poor example since she has such a simple design. Very effective, but simple.

soon anime charakters will be circles, how sexy

everything becomes more minimalistic because people lack more and more artistic skills

look at old school buildings with all the tiny nuances and decorations

today, everything is flat and bland

it's the same with cars, they all look the same

looks a lot like tsurezure children but maybe that's just me

I think this is the evolution of cute.
I'm afraid to think of what will transpire in the next ten years.
How cute can they get?
Does moore's law apply here?

That nose though.
It's like those anime geared toward girls.
Most of them have similar art styles.

>shoujo protagonists are always extremely cute as fuck
This cannot be a coincidence.

Go be fujoshi somewhere else.

Reverse traps are the best. Oscar, Haruhi, Kino, Naoto, they're all the best. Just the best.

>Why does Retro anime look better than the new cookie cutter light novel adaptations that the anime industry is milking to death?
To put it simply, nostalgia

Opinions are opinions.

Wrong, reverse traps are gross. Traps are the best

Girl with vagina who is so naturally beautiful she outshines arbitrary features such as hair length and clothing > man with penis who wears female clothes and makeup but is still a man.

how can you be so wrong? modern anime titties are drawn with natural shapes and movements. boobs in old animes were usually just tennis balls that bounced randomly. compare this with naga from slayers or ryoko from tenchi. it's not even close which is better.

Dare say to me that bounce isn't one of the most aesthetically pleasing bounce you ever saw.
And it's not even the best in the OVA

And yours is wrong. Go back to your third world shithole.

I'm more than okay with that.

>vagina
Gross

It's also completely nonsensical, unless the entire ship just abruptly slewed up six inches as she stepped through the door.

/ic/ is shit, how do I get good at drawing anime

get "How to draw Manga"

The future of anime is a flawless application of 3d to create 2d animation.

To be fair, you have to have a very high IQ to understand retro anime. The concept, genres, and ideas are extremely subtle, and without a solid grasp of theoretical physics most of them will go over a typical viewer’s head. There’s also many religious, philosophical, and psychological themes that have 2deep4u overtones in anime such as Evangelion, which are deftly woven into the characters' personal philosophies drawing heavily from propaganda, soul-searching "ownership" of Rei's body, and literature (e.g.- Animal Farm and 1984) for instance. The fans understand this stuff; they have the intellectual capacity to truly appreciate the depths of these factors, to realize that they’re not just funny, almond-activating, tragic, or indifferent- they say something deep about LIFE. As a consequence people who dislike anime truly ARE idiots- of course they wouldn’t appreciate, for instance, the spiritual love that is alive and crosses the boundary between 2D and 3D; the "I came here to laugh at you" line which itself is a cryptic reference to Ella Wheeler Wilcox's epic "Solitude". I’m smirking right now just imagining one of those addlepated simpletons scratching their heads in confusion as Miyazaki’s genius wit unfolds itself on their television screens. What fools... how I pity them.

And yes, by the way, I DO have a Ranma 1/2 tattoo of the titular character in her female form- nude. And no, you cannot see it. It’s for the ladies’ eyes only- and even then they have to demonstrate that they’re within 5 IQ points of my own (preferably lower) beforehand. Nothin personal, baka.

>NO U
Great argument; I wasn't even him.

some hated the closeups but I loved them, and yeah OP/ED were both really good

S2 when

These three screencaps all have the same softening haze/blur effect and a cold color palette with some kind of a gradient overlay. Also uniform line weight and a lack of contrast, note how there is no pure black anywhere in the images.

>sprites just randomly instancing and deinstancing
Dear god.

It's not a matter of skill. You could have your gothic cathedrals with gargoyles, chiseled granite oranaments and whatever you want, but you have to realize that those things took hundreds of years to build. Not even the most wasteful government projects spend so much time and money on something. We actually pour our resources into things that are useful.

Back then civilization was advancing slowly, so any organization that made a profit didn't exactly had a stock market in which they could invest the money. At some point you just funded wars or built vanity things.

The closest analogy you have today are gold-plated and maharani-furnished yachts or neo-gothic castles of some billionaires and similar luxury items.

Who cares as long as it looks good. That monogatari webm isn't even physically correct.

I loved KemoFure but i seriously hope Yaoyorozu goes back to their rougher MMD style like with Gdgd Fairies and Tesabu. Now this is what true peak performance looks like.

>They looked soft and natural.
>post this
you better not be the same user, otherwise I'll have to call you a retard.

Most girls have inhumanly thin designs these days. They're basically scaled-up, non-murrican 12yos. But I have no problem with that.

thats because the sun is in the way