Can we discuss the values of pacing and how realistic it is to expect good pacing with how the manga industry works?

Can we discuss the values of pacing and how realistic it is to expect good pacing with how the manga industry works?

I feel like Hero Academia had incredibly strong pacing that emulated classic US/Euro books for about four to six chapters before it slowed down to accommodate Jump's crazy release schedule, but even now people consider it briskly paced for Shonen. Could it do better? Should mangaka prioritize this kind of succinctness even if other aspects suffer? Maybe you can talk about MHA instead of you don't care, the other thread is dying anyway.

Other urls found in this thread:

twitter.com/YonkouProd/
imgur.com/a/pQ4Fh
youtube.com/watch?v=EgIdizdNIKo&list=RDEgIdizdNIKo
animenewsnetwork.com/news/2017-06-01/top-selling-manga-in-japan-by-series-2017/.116861
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Why was the thread deleted ;-;

I find unless something is made in advance, one week is NEVER enough to make something of quality. I'd rather have a page per week than something so fast paced it makes no fucking sense. Some of the Illegals chapters are just mindfucks.

It’s pacing is probably what threw off the hype this arc or license exam arc. The first few arcs really did its best in its pace to establish its world but now that we are past that, I hope Hori goes back to at least flesh it out more, even if we are stuck in Japan.

Shounen is shit

OTP!

Any place I could find the volume 16 art?

It was on page 10 and well over the limit, you doofus.

Unrelated, but someone last thread asked
>Do you think it'll get better?
It's just my personal preferences, but I don't think so. The thing that drew me in was the way the story was told and its priorities. It's drifted too far away from what made the opening chapters interesting and has too many threads open to ever really return to its original pacing and focus, not to mention that would probably kill Hori on a weekly schedule.

Then again I think the manga started to lose some of its strength by the time Deku throws the ball on his first day (the pacing suddenly drops like a rock into more traditional shonen beats and cliffhangers), so I doubt I have a popular opinion.

Same, the first half of volume one is polished to a shine compared to the rest of the series because it was clearly drafted far in advance. After that it seems things were much more loosely plotted and Hori falls back on genre conventions to pad for time and ease the stress of concocting everything from scratch weekly. It's a shame, but I think he'd only be able to keep the strong pace, a decent story AND not draw chickenscratch if he did chapters monthly, biweekly at most. You see the same thing far more subtly take root over the years with One Piece.

twitter.com/YonkouProd/

Bless you! Have a fine halloween. Or Tuesday if your outside of my burgerland

Thanks. No Halloween for me.

Apparently it was off discussion? I still have the link to the translated Illegals chapter, if anyone wants it.
imgur.com/a/pQ4Fh

You’re the best user

Two of the images have been swaped.

Pacing is so important, and i think people fail to realize that.

Which pages?

Nezu AfO body swap when?!

>Bakugo as a Nomu
I have this becomes canon.

>I have this becomes canon
I wish you could speak english, but we all have dreams.

It was just bait, user.

youtube.com/watch?v=EgIdizdNIKo&list=RDEgIdizdNIKo
Why does Endaddy have the best OST?

Decuck strikes again

Theming.

The show associates the idea of heroism with classic orchestral swells ala Donner's Superman, electric guitars and rock with youth, etc. So having angst rock with the orchestral backing reflects his character in the same way his visual design does. The instruments all coalesce into the swelling, "heroic" ideal but the actual meaning of the vocals creates a dissonance that makes it feel phony in striving towards that ideal but emotionally sincere. It also ties to his son really well and overall is a well thought out song thematically.

Because #2 usually gets good compensation

Did Hori pick names out of a hat what the fuck

>Kendou as MC trying to save/love Todoroki with Bakugou as the jerk people also ship her with and Ochaco as the bff

The page where C.C talks to Makoto should be after the one where Pop says that her costume is just for show

How many chapters vol.16 cover?

Bakufags btfo

BNH is garbage

I feel like everything would be better if manga followed a monthly schedule instead
Weekly schedule is what is killing the mangaka

What killed the hype?

I wish Bakugou would not be involved in autistic shipping wars. Sadly, fujoshits and other kinds of fans don't want to leave him alone.

Isn't that a reference to that one Harley Quinn cover

Maybe

Eri

Birb Frog is a meme but this is still acceptable. At least this person isn’t delusional about Bakugou

The problem is monthly, biweekly, and rotating schedules wouldn't be enough for Shueisha.

The breaks and pacing
If you ask what makes this arc much more disliked than previous ones, then that's another can of worms

Its falling into the same pacing and powercreep issues that originally separated it from the likes of the big three. This arc has really damaged the series' reputation of having learned from what people didnt like in older long running shonen battle series.

The most depressing part is that, knowing how Jump operates, going on Hori's own comments about reception from editorial and peers, and based on the series' huge surge into a suitable replacement cash cow for the decaying ark that is One Piece, a lot of this likely isn't Hori's doing. He's not blameless, but backpack loli of power reeks of Jump Editorial's standard reader lapse prevention techniques. This guy isn't stupid enough to buck convention and then go full Bleach; the comic is getting fucked by management.

Eri

HxH and FMA are exceptions to that rule. Especially HxH.

HxH is legitimately worse than YUH.
Having cool ideas and smashing them together does not a good comic make.

>freckled Kendou
I would

I agree, Yoda

Let's make this clear for you, once and for all, Miriofag. This is why we all hate Mirio:

Case #1:
>two different characters get the MOST COMMON qurik in the MHA universe - Fire**

a) Endeavor gets the Fire ability
>learns how to control the strength of his flames so that he can go from "fire that just knocks you out" to "fire that literally incinerates enemies through regeneration"
>able to create "flame weapons" in various shapes and sizes for precision attacks
>can Fire Walk With Me
>fiery punches
>can probably use his fire power to power up a jetpack and fly with it, that's how based he is
>becomes the #1 hero of Japan, saving millions of people in the process

b) Mirio gets the Fire ability
>burns down his dad's house and kills a bunch of neighbors before the firemen come
>never becomes a hero, dies of throat cancer after working some low wage slave job for 60 years

Case #2
>two different characters get the MOST OVERPOWERED quirk in the MHA universe - Permeation

a) Mirio gets the Permeation ability
>after 18 years of his pathetic life where he is the joke character of the elite UA university, some shitty non-hero teaches him how to count to 10 and how to move around a little

b) Endeavor gets the Permeation ability
>completely perfected the master of Phase-Jumping around - can go from China to the US within one minute
>complete control of what body parts he can phase, including what parts of his costumes get phased or not
>Phase-Punching with millimeter precision
>LITERAL INVULNERABILITY, no one on planet Earth can kill him, if he ever gets seriously wounded he just phase teleports to get a regeneration boost from his sidekick in his office, and then comes back
>can even use it to literally fly around to catch flying villains
>becomes the #1 HERO OF THE ENTIRE WORLD [his quirk does, after all, allow him to appear anytime anywhere!]

(**over half a dozen characters have this ability in the series)

The timing is a little odd for that though, most of this arc ran concurrently with the second season anime. The readership should be at an all time high, so it doesnt make sense to go into damage conrol mode. Series usually amp up powerlevels when they get desparate to draw readers in just cause things the op powers look cool.

>The readership should be at an all time high
Maybe it is but not as high as expected. Maybe it is underperforming for something with an anime

Using hyperbaton on the elements that make up a quality work isn't a Yoda thing, doofus. You should have pointed out I typed YUH instead of YYH.

No see, that's exactly it: they want to balloon reception and tanko sales while it's riding high so they can continue riding it out for years like One Piece. They want a replacement, a backup, not a reasonable success.

This talk of manga sales is pretty neat. So tell it to me straight, is one piece actually not doing well?

Pomf

Id like Deku to pomf Uravity behind an alley way if you know what I mean

Retard opinion. YYH manga is inferior to its anime. HxH is best

Eh?

It's doing phenomenal, but the cracks are starting to show. It's lost a lot of sales in the last few years but it's still riding high.

Interesting enough, relating to what
said, One Piece did the same thing at the same point. Around the end of Enies Lobby and into Thriller Bark, One Piece went supernova. It's sales started to WAY exceed its previous output, and it was around this time more generic Shonen aspects like Haki and the timeskip popped up, making it explode even further. It looks like they might be trying to do the same idea with MHA: "It's selling really well WITHOUT these tactics, so it'll make more money if we add them in!"

That's what it looks like from here, at least.

Here's a good list that covers November 21, 2016 to May 21, 2017.

>animenewsnetwork.com/news/2017-06-01/top-selling-manga-in-japan-by-series-2017/.116861

One Piece is still on top at #1, with 5,969,851 estimated sales and My Hero Academia is #6 with 2,097,08 estimated sales.

I wonder what normal people think when buying this.

Man, OPM is really doing well even without anime boost, unlike BNH

>B: Give me screen time already, damn it!
>K: There is no need to be impatient
>S: The time will come

Heh.

Best boy needs to save this god damn arc.

All Might is out of commission, he can't.

That is best man.

>Volume 1 notes by Hori say that he wanted to make Ochako a size change character but didn't because "having that kind of lead female would take the series to dark places."

What did he mean?

No seriously what the hell is that supposed to mean?

I want to ochako ochakos ochakos in ochakoland on a ochakoplane in a ochakonian way.

Can you imagine how much worse
would be if he allowed all manners of growth/inflation/etc to apply to her? These threads would be uninhabitable among the sea of blueberry Ochako art.

Just take it grapefag.

>man I hope some of my friends don’t see this.
Granted I’m talking if Viz decides to censor or not, they did replace a Mina in her undies on the back of a book with Toga for a State-side release.

We were doing so well, why did you have to respond

>Black Clover is at 20th
It truly is the new Toriko

>out for a couple of days
>coming back just to see OfA Kendou
Fucking best timing ever
I fucking love you Hori, that shit is my wet dream

Also
>aizawa trying to smile
>bakunoumu
kek

Oh I guess translations were two chapters behind?

Some random guys made this translation.
Viz and Mangastream are both at chapter 14

Bakugou my boy! I miss you so much. If you were in this arc it would be better.

I wonder why the official ones are lagging.

>Bakugo
>Making something better

He'd at least be better at calling out the bullshit.

>Childhood is idolizing Deku
>Adulthood is realizing Bakugo makes more sense

I hope it means the three will be together. With maybe Mina because Kirishima got his time in this arc.

is an adult, cannot confirm. bakushit is still shit

>He thinks hard work matters
Fuuuuuck yoooooooou

>only class B that features at something
Somehow i still think she will be at the bottom in the next pol, also when is it?

>implying

Just finished catching up on Illegals. The smaller cast gives each of the main characters a moment to shine and the plot is more tightly focused because of it's monthly release schedule.

Reminds me of the pacing of early BnHA, which brings back 's point. It's funny to see actual discussion about the series since there's a hiatus and the low effort posters, shippers, and fujos aren't here.

Not even Mineta deserve this

>is an adult
Easiest way to detect an underage or man child.

Viz started late and are doing one chapter a week until they catch up. Mangastream must have other priorities

They deserve each other

>No official All Might hoodie/onesie yet
What the fuck bros...?

both your assumptions are wrong, detective

It must be amazing being toei, your anime sells the most and is the cheapest to make.

Give it time

>Bakugou and Todoroki got hoodies first before All Might
They know that fujos wouldn't buy it.

>crunching down to kabedon
sonething so cute shouldn't be wasted in these two

Some times........
Things shouldn’t exist user. So please delet

Like you would actually wear that in public.