So I'm watching pic related for the first time, despite having watched anime for many years...

So I'm watching pic related for the first time, despite having watched anime for many years, I put it off for a really long time. I'm on episode 9 and where does it get deep? Everyone says the end is an emotional feels trip and I remember people saying even back in 2008 Sup Forums that the end made them depressed, this and that, is it true or are people just overdramatically bullshitting? Am I just a brainlet? It's not to say I'm not liking the show but I don't really feel much from it so far. also i know it's supposed to be babies first anime but dont blame me for watching it now, nothing i can do now. I intend to finish it also.

also eva thread

toward episode 17ish

Also I remember this being an unpopular opinion but I really like Shinji

This. People also interpret episodes 25 & 26 as "deep" when in reality Anno just ran out of budget and slapped a bunch of random flashing images and called it a day. Watch the movie for the ending.

shit gets weird towards the end

Can I ask why? Is it the hands?

>Falling for "Eva is deep" meme
Evafag=RnMfags

yeah the best part is after asuka (fuck her) shows up and before episode 25 although i like the last 2 episodes

yeah its deep like your mums vagine

There ist mostly setup for more in depth shit like the explanation of the hedgehogs dilemma. Later that connects to many maybe even most characters in some way.

But until 17ish most stuff is more subtle, like.....You remember the ID card with the documents Shinji showed misato in EP1? Remember how fucked up that paper was? Shinji ripped that into pieces before fixing it, foreshadowing his fucked up relationship with his father

As a huge fan even I wouldnÄt say it's overly deep. It just embraces this concept of optimistic nihilism and touches at the surface of some philisophical concepts like freedom and direction.

The depression part kicks in from people not picking up the optimistic part of the optimistic nihilism

>nihilism
just stop

After you finish the series, watch the end of evangelion. All of it, don't skip any of it.
If you still remember your name after that, then you will have been enlightened.

Trust me, I got into the robot when I was told, like a good a son who is loved

It actually gets DEEP in ep.1 but the point with eva is that you will start getting something near the end, if you want to experience the real DEEP you need to rewatch it over and over again untill you finally put togheter all the small details and get the whole picture. Remember evageek is a firend

Yuis answer to Shinjis "Why am I here" is to not answer that but say to him that everywhere can be paradise as long as you live, implying the meaning is just finding happiness not something greater.

it gets weird around ep 16, starts getting little crazy starting at ep 22, then it goes completely off the rails for 25/26 and the movie.

just know that the earlier episodes are primarily about showing character interactions.

but if i find happiness in finding something greater
NIHILISTS BTFO

I'm not trying to argue for some worldview. Just what the show is seemingly trying to tell.

Yui actually did exactly what you said.

okay

Its depth is an illusion, only idiots think otherwise, but it does have some good emotional shit and character moments as it gets to the big finale.

this, its good but not 2deep4u

So how many of you have never actually seen Eva? How many of you haven't seen it since your teens?

Shut up Misato

You even got the 22s for it, that's some next level shit right there.

Speaking of Misato, she's objectively best girl.
Captain in the streets, NEET in the sheets

Everyone shut the fuck up
Lets talk about what's really important
Have you bought a pair of New Balance shoes today?

>rei has better fashion sense than asuka
lel

>>reddit

asuka is everyday chic
rei is trying too hard

asuka is where a slut choker, shinji looks like a tool and so does kaworu, Rei looks casual and the colors look good on her

You goddamn nerds will fight over anything

what i can't critique the fashion choices of asuka

EoE

You either get it or you don't. Forget about "deep", just try and enjoy yourself.

I watched it with some friends over the summer. It's even better than I remember it. A bit slow between episodes 11-17 but still really good. The ending is perfect. Anno may have just run out of budget, but I feel its limited budget cause them to have to be more creative with what they had. And i feel that the series is better for it. The scene about freedom was especially good.

Don't give (You)'s to normalshits and tourists, user

Word. I personally like rather surreal and "deep" movies/series but what's important is if you like it, not if you can brag how intellectual you are for liking something. While I love the deep aspects of Eva, what really makes this my favourite anime is not the philosophy or the psycho-analysis, but the fantastic characters and their interactions. And some nostalgia.

>ran out of budget
That's wrong. Stop repeating this shit

he ran out of time not budget

>ran out of budget
Thanks for just letting everyone know not to take your opinion seriously.

The entire studio faced many issues over the course of the show's 2 year long production.

>Watch the movie for the ending.
A thousand times this. Not only does it make the last episodes look like the trash they are, but it gives actual explanations for basically everything you didn't understand up until that point (which is probably a lot).

I didn't think the show itself was super deep, it's just they never really explained anything that was going on.

didn't they have to scrap an episode?

>*choke*
>disgusting
>fin
FUCKING MASTERPIECE 2DEEP4U

I think both are great. The last two episodes focus more on the characters while the movie properly concludes the story.

That was brilliant though

youre a fucking idiot
final 2 episodes literally explain everything to you big stupid face

no it was just random. the manga ending and NGE's ending were much better
and for manga ending im including the two final chapters not just the final

Yep. There was gonna be an episode set in a subway system, but then a terrorist attack happened in Tokyo's actual subway system in real life, and the network that aired Eva deemed the episode too insensitive to show. And thats just one of the many problems. Others include parents complaining abut the amount of violence in the show and getting it taken off the air for a while, the troubled relationship Gainax and the netwrok had throughout the production, just the fact that the show was being made in a time where Gainax wasn't even focusing their business model on animation due to the market crash of the early 90s, etc etc.

>the climax of the fim is Shinji deciding that human relationships are okay, because even though people hurt each other, they can love each other as well
>ending is him hurting asuka (strangling her), but her loving him back (caressing his cheek), and him stopping hurting her
There's nothing random about it, and it's extremely simple if you actually try to understand it instead of just insulting it becuase you'd rather bitch and moan.

>loving him
>calls him disgusting while looking down on him

The opposite of love is not hate, it's indifference.

Asuka is the only one for Shinji, only Wincest fans ship him and Rei.

yeah im pretty sure the opposite of love is hate
get your pseudo philosophy out of here

>gently strokes his face in an effort to calm him down as he fucking chokes her
>not showing love
Also note that even though she's calling him disgusting, she's still staying there with him. She's showing that even if he does disgusting things, she'll still be there for him.

Also also note: THE LAST SCENE IS FUCKING CALLED
"I NEED YOU"

yeah because being called pathetic and disgusting is love. thats harsh by most tsundere's standards
so they called tons of scenes contradictory things, and that title is from shinji's perspective not asuka

Yeah, they don't though.

>wow i need to help myself and not live for others
it doesn't really explain plot that well

Shinji himself believes he's disgusting. The opening to the film is him saying that. But again, despite Asuka affirming it, she still doesn't react violently, or even really reasonably, to him strangling her, and she still stays with him. In an ordinary, literal scene, she would be reacting very violently and emotionally to being attacked, and would be trying to get away from him. But this isn't an ordinary, literal scene. It's a visual representation of the message of the story and of their relationship.
>so they called tons of scenes contradictory things, and that title is from shinji's perspective not asuka
No, you don't just get to claim that it doesn't matter. The fact is that they named the scene "I NEED YOU" and that title fits the meaning of the story and what's going on in the scene perfectly.

look i dont feel like arguing over your headcanon.
you can believe what you and i can believe what i want

NGE's strength is in the emotional response it provokes in the viewer. I appreciate all the thousands of little details and the underlying plot, but the reason it starts with you is because of how you relate to Rei, Asuka, Shinji, et al.

*sticks with you

Last 2 episodes were garbage and everyone saying they aren't is lying
>inb4 "art" is subjective
No in this case it isn't
Don't forget watching the movies, especially EoE

Art is subjective

No in this case it isn't