Light was right

The pros outweight the cons.

Other urls found in this thread:

deathnote.wikia.com/wiki/David_Hoope
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

It would never work.

>has an untraceable murder weapon
>still gets caught
Do you really want a literal autist running your country?

If weaponised autism can get Trump into the White House it can catch a killer with an untraceable murder weapon.

Pro: It rhymes.
Con: Nothing, you can't argue against that.

Light was right until the author started to turn him into an idiot

So like the first episode?

More like first chapter

t. idiots

t. brainlet

The show should have ended after Ls death or L should have defeated Light. The other characters were uncreative asspulls.

Light is right and yet Light is dead by the end. what does this say? That this world is stupid, chaotic and beyond saving, that even if there are good people like light who aim to bring peace, turn this world into heaven, they will be eliminated. Death note is cautionary tale to those good willed people that saving this godforsaken world is just an elusive dream and not worth it

Assuming his intention really was making the world better and not just catering to his god complex, then he used the Death Note in one of the most idiotic, sub-optimal ways I can imagine. Even becoming a paid assassin and donating money to certain charities/organizations would be orders of magnitude better than just killing criminals (most of which already imprisoned besides). The best thing he could do was to just hand over the DN to some trustworthy scientific organization to reverse-engineer, and if that didn't work (because magic), then just abuse its rules to the extreme. Death by DN happens ALWAYS on time which implies FTL. If you can send DN, alongside a remote control mechanism to write in it, far away into space, then you could use the deaths to send information back in time. If Light wasn't arrogant and egoistic, he would realize that.

>Death by DN happens ALWAYS on time which implies FTL. If you can send DN, alongside a remote control mechanism to write in it, far away into space, then you could use the deaths to send information back in time
Does this make any sense? Do you even realise that the delay between the information and control signals sent from earth and for them to reach death note far away in space is going to be very large in the order of years at best(considering successful transmission). What's this nonsense of sending information to past?

Only immature retards think Light was doing the right thing.
His plan is basically "Kill all the evil people until only good people are left."
Mikami even says something like "People are devided in 2 groups, good and evil." at some point.
"Evil" and "Good" people/actions happen due to circumstances.
The only way to improve the world is by making sure everyone grows up to be a responsible and moral person living in an environment they have to chance to lead a good life in.

Light died like a bitch.

light was not right, after killing one bad guy he is just as bad as any killer

Nah, that's not possible as long as these evil and bad people exists in this world. The only plausible way is to kill all the bad people and then make sure that nobody deviates to becoming bad people

This.
His ego was bigger than his intellect. He wasn't careful enough.

Nah, you shouldn't associate the act of killing to bad, rather look at the benefits that the act can bring. Killing bad people who harm the society is same as getting rid of pesticides that damage crops

*pests

Been thinking about rewatching this since my first watch a decade ago. It sucks that I can still remember virtually every plot twist/development. Death note was all about tuning in week to week to find out what happened next.

I am very smart.

This. But you're arguing with a bunch of level zero readers that literally can only reiterate what the author wrote out for them to think. So good luck.

I am genius.

>no Misa
>no Rem
>no second Death Note
What happens?

Nah. Light was an idiot. First of all, many of the criminals he killed were already apprehended, tried, convicted, and serving in prison. Secondly, Light wasn't omniscient, which meant there were plenty of criminals who evaded Light's punishment, and they probably knew it. Also simply having a severe punishment for crime isn't enough to deter it. There have been plenty of societies that were much more brutal towards convicted criminals and yet crime still existed. You can't wipe out crime by simply killing criminals, you need to look at why people commit crime in the first place.

Light was just an egotistical teenager who didn't even do any real crime-fighting work. Half of his work was already performed by police agencies who apprehended the criminals. He also followed his own arbitrary views and had no power to actually determine the guilt of his victims. There's already a system in place to deal with criminals, and while it's not perfect, it's not like Light was replacing it with anything better.

The thing is, the Death Note could be a powerful crime fighting tool. Using it in hostage situations can save lives among other situations. But in that capacity it just becomes another tool of the trade just like a sniper rifle would be. It would augment the system already in place to fight crime, but Light wanted the Death Note to be the system itself or at least an extension of himself who would become the new system. And that's the real problem. Light overrated himself and the Death Note.

>Light wasn't omniscient, which meant
I'm very well aware what that word means. Thank you very much

Utilitarianism is not a valid system.

this to be honest

I wasn't defining the term but explaining the ramifications.

Nipping the weeds is fine, but Light went as far as killing those who have been on the side of justice, signifying him straying from his path, also his ego took over. Light was right on the first part of the series however as it went on he's starting to get more cocky and eventually thought of himself as god, which makes him no more than the murderers and criminals he have killed.

Light got most of his targets from the mainstream media. Sit there and tell me they wouldn't manipulate him to erase people they deem undesirable regardless of whether or not they are a criminal.

I think what you did was silly too. At least one thing we agree on.

>Death Note in Japan
>"We must catch Kira because muh justice!"
>Death Note in USA
>Kira's support is so strong Light feels safe to tell L who he is
Wingard did nothing wrong.

>yfw light would've killed donald trump

>There have been plenty of societies that were much more brutal towards convicted criminals and yet crime still existed. You can't wipe out crime by simply killing criminals, you need to look at why people commit crime in the first place.
It is clearly stated in the story that Kira reduced criminality by a ridiculous amount. Even he realized he couldn't completely eradicate criminality, but the world was objectively a better place when he acted as God

No, Light was a child who thought that there was such a thing as "good people" and "bad people". Sure there are deranged people more prone to commit crime, but in general most people are equallly capable of evil.

>but the world was objectively a better place
Reducing crime rates doesn't mean the world is a better place. Like I said before you have to look at why people commit crimes in the first place. Also the definition of crime is too skewed to what Light views as a crime or not. People were killed in the streets by Kira supporters. I wouldn't really call that a better world. When is something justice and when is it injustice? A guy who murders someone is injustice, but is a guy who steals to feed himself or his family injustice? Its a hard issue to decide but the problem with Light's vision for the world is that it's not open up to debate for society because Light kills whoever he wants with little to no investigation.

>It is clearly stated in the story that Kira reduced criminality by a ridiculous amount
Because the story is retarded. You said it, by a ridiculous amount. It would never work in a realistic setting because Kira's ideas are basic af, literally those of a child

This

Well, his dad was a cop and a moralfag
Soichiro is the true villain

>Reducing crime rates doesn't mean the world is a better place.
It's a pretty good indication. If there were 100k violent murders a year before Kira and only 10k after, then him acting as a deterrent for violent crimes is alone a good argument for him making the world a better place. Criminals that got away before because they thrived under a lenient justice system now had a reason to fear.

>When is something justice and when is it injustice?
It's not like one man alone can decide that, but Kira was right in his reasoning that he was simply giving people what they wanted. They rallied behind him out of their own will after seeing his actions, not out of fear.

>A guy who murders someone is injustice, but is a guy who steals to feed himself or his family injustice?
When has he murdered anyone for minor offenses like that? He was using the broadcasted criminal names to kill them, you got your name broadcasted for murder and rape, not "stealing food to feed your family"

>They rallied behind him out of their own will after seeing his actions, not out of fear
They were violent greedy rioters. Rallying behind Kira gave them the cult pros starter pack.

So like literal Hitler?

This

Reminder he the best character and anyone who hates him didn't understand him and is upset about "muh quirky emo" not winning

Fucking this

There are cultural and societal structures in place that guide our behaviour into someone who would not commit crimes. Understanding crimes is to improve and strengthen these structures. Even then criminals will surface and commit crimes, so instilling terror is the way to suppress these crimes that occurred due to failure in these structures. Kira is supposed be this symbol of terror

>get Death Note
>don't get the Shnigami eyes
What's the point? I wouldn't sacrifice half my lifespan for that but I also wouldn't want to use the deathnote
He did kill the president, just not using the death note deathnote.wikia.com/wiki/David_Hoope

A world ruled by Kira would have given me the will to be a good person and not the piece of shit i am now.
I would have worshipped KIRA.
He gave order and peace.
Only criminalsand Neets lived in fear.

>It is clearly stated in the story that Kira reduced criminality by a ridiculous amount.
And that's a huge plot hole, because Kira could only punish people who were already going to be punished anyway even without his help. Why the heck would crime be reduced?

>the world was objectively a better place
Even with 0 criminality, a totalitarian government is never a better place.

>Light was right

he was baited by L with the most basic 1st class in police academy dragnet investigation shitck there is. hes actually pretty dumb for somebody who's supposed to be smart.

>Death by DN happens ALWAYS on time which implies FTL.

pretty sure that's wrong. in the rules it says something like death happens within xyz seconds....

>this "L" person has absolutely no idea how you kill people and most likely thinks your alias "Kira" is just an organization of vigilantes
>better fucking show that you're one person with supernatural powers

>I would have worshipped KIRA.
that would have been the way to go. kill ppl in a way that literally spells out: I'm god, I'm tired of your shit, behave or you're dead!

there are plenty of religious folk who would accept this and they could become your "police" going after the cops etc. who don't believe in your godhood and want to catch you.

in ay case, proclaiming you are god isn't even that far off since the DN clearly is divine magic and it's existence means there is something as a god.

Is it bad that I never sided with Light? I felt like he immediately had a god complex. Maybe I'd feel more sympathetic towards his ideals if he didn't talk about wanting to become God in the first episode

exactly. he's like the guy in high school who asks his crush out but she says no "because you're too skinny" and then starks working out and doing steroids to prove her wrong... puerile and stupid.

Just a little. He really was doing it out of a good place in his heart and the police only cared because it's their job to but his let the ego take over.
Everyone would be better off in the Kira world.

>Is it bad that I never sided with Light?

there was no character worth siding with. L and Light were mary sues in every possible way. light's family were mongoloids. missa was insane. the FBI couple were IQ45 abbos. Kira's henchman and women were zealots akin to IS. Mello was no smarter than L/Light but was twice as ridiculous. and near was just L going super sayan.

>and the police only cared because it's their job

you ahve a strange understanding of the cops, government, force and law dude. I hope you get along IRL because that kind of assumption of the real world gets you into trouble quickly.

I feel like it would've been a lot better if Light slowly and slowly did more deplorable actions as he questioned himself and his morality, because honestly I didn't really feel sympathy for him until the end and when he didn't have his memories

Regardless of your personal moral values, the moral values of a single human should not overrule those of the consensus, because the individual human is limited in experiences, knowledge, understanding, and processing power.

Fuck the police

No. It means you're not an ethically retarded 12 year old.

Entire governments and most of the force itself quit the investigation.
The few that stayed did it only because they had a real strong sense of justice yet even they noticed all the benefits Kira brought.

>Fuck the police
my point exactly. just an anecdote from an incident I've seen in my long career of being a political agitator: ANTIFA agitator walks up to a woman and spits in her face right in front of a cop. cop turns around trying to pretend he didn't see it. guy screams at cop: You asshole saw that, why aren't you doing anything you worthless piece of shit?!?! the guy was arrested and prosecuted while the guy who assaulted the woman wasn't even questioned etc.

Morality is subjective
One person shouldn't be the sole arbitrator of what is right or wrong

>One person shouldn't be the sole arbitrator of what is right or wrong

majority of ppl in the world disagree with that.

Mello's conflict with Near was shit but he was kinda cool.
Near wasn't a good character but he made Kira angry by trashtalking him over the phone in front of everyone. And then he did it again but with Mello. That's good.

Is it that far fetched to believe would-be criminals would think twice in a world where a God-like entity (minus to omniscience) punishes crimes by death?

Justice can be corrupted, bought, lenient, so a definitive death sentence for ALL crimes would definitely reduce criminality.

As Kira says, impulsive crime would not erased, but premeditated would.

Do they?
Pros: you kill shitton of people who are in prison
Cons: they are already in prison, while you cleaned up genetic trash they have already committed a crime and you haven't done anything to stop new ones besides promise of even more punishment so no people will be inspired by difference you made and should you loosen your grip once on criminals those who survived would start wrecking even a bigger havoc and criminal society whipped by just one man would destroy all works you've done in matter of hours.

What I mean is he's just an electric chair that seeks out people who have already committed crime. But even with risk of getting death penalty people have committed and will commit crime.

>Is it that far fetched to believe would-be criminals would think twice in a world where a God-like entity (minus to omniscience) punishes crimes by death?
No, but only for a time. The good thing about the Death Note? It's weird and literally magic. That makes people unsettled. The thing about magic though, after a while it's just another nature law. Not scarier than death sentence.

He had a retarded concept of justice. You can't just kill all criminals without considering the crime. If you do that you turn all muggings into murders, ie. you're going to die if you're caught, so make sure there are no witnesses to reduce the chance of being caught.
Instead he should have fit the type of death to the crime. For instance, a mugger would die peacefully in their sleep, while a murderer would die tearing out their own intestines and hanging themselves with them.

he wouldn't get caught unless he makes a huge mistake or L somehow found out the deathnote could kill outside of heart attacks

No his is an idiot.

I'm surprised they haven't rebooted this in some manner.

Having some teenager with a God complex dictate what is right and what is wrong isn't "right." There's no such thing as a perfect system, but his is extremely biased and built to fail.

He was just a glorified psychopath who wanted to take justice into his own hands. Still, would have been great to see him win though.

When you begin to generalize large groups of humans into 'pesticides' or 'weeds' you're already in the wrong. Individual men with limited experience and thought have no place projecting an ethic on all mankind and arbitrating death to something as complex and varied as life.

aka. kill all greedy psychopaths aka. bad ppl

He was right m8 dont be delusional

what pros? research points to harsher sentencing having little effect on crime rates.

If you support Light you are unpatriotic
No country should be okay with having their sovereignty violated by some punk highschooler who thinks they know better than their own laws and courts

The point is MUH MAGIC GOD NOTE IS WATCHING YOU
not that it wouldn't work for a while but 70% crime reduction is stupid

but light can only kill people he sees in the news.
if anything it would increase crime rates as the legal system would be forced to work around itself in fear of a pre mature conviction. pretty sure I remember a few studies showing the juries are less likely to convict when death was on the table.
then people would eventually figure out the magical deaths work only on media perception and kill each other with media slander. think light has the time to verify the validity of all of his murders?

How do I steal Light's look?

Because Death Note is badly written

You're right, what I'm saying is that the idea of a magic God killing criminals would be an okay deterrent for a while until people figure out the trick.

You get handed the ultimate weapon and you want to give it away?
The modern liberal everyone.

Sure. In today world will be great if you want to purge every male.

>so a definitive death sentence for ALL crimes would definitely reduce criminality.
This is the dumbest part.
if a cop knew that bringing in a bicycle thief into the station would mean he would die from a heart attack, he wouldn't make the arrest.
on the flip side, corrupt cops with nothing but a false report now have the power of judge and executioner.

The more I think about it, the more I'm thinking a Light like existence in the real world would cause crime to explode.

>Morality is subjective
"muh post-modernism"
>One person shouldn't be the sole arbitrator of what is right or wrong
That's stupid, someone has to take the matter in his own hands.

adolescence is idolizing Light
adulthood is realizing he gave away his identity to L in the second fucking episode what a retard. The moment L knew of the existence of Light it was already over and the rest of the show focused on the problem that L's pride had him try and prove it legally since there's no proof other than "I have a magic book that kills"

There is nothing wrong with having an ego, if there is such a thing as a God I don't think he would want you to live such a boring life.

Not someone, society has to

>That's stupid, someone has to take the matter in his own hands.
how do you decide who that person is?

>someone has to take the matter in his own hands.
That would be a dictatorship.
Society as a whole should decide whats right and wrong.

>Individual men with limited experience and thought have no place projecting an ethic on all mankind and arbitrating death to something as complex and varied as life
>...but I, an individual man, have the experience and thought to tell you what's right
Hmmm

And why is that?

That would be "ad populum"
The majority of people aren't fit to dictate what's right or wrong, only the chosen ones have to.

>chosen ones
>light