How the fuck is it possible to make a protagonist this unlikeable?

How the fuck is it possible to make a protagonist this unlikeable?

He is likable. Not very interesting, though.

Probably because he’s a super nerd?

?????????? I can count like 5 way shittier MC right off the top of my head

Deku is generic / boring but he isnt annoying or retarded. Guy is so white bread there isnt really anything to hate him about

Fuck off Bakugou

>?????????? I can count like 5 way shittier MC right off the top of my head
why would you do that?

fpbp
Deku is a good dude and I felt for him at the start but he's bland as all fuck.
Also the whole "It's me narrating from the future and this is how I became the greatest hero" really kills a lot for me since I never feel like he's in peril because I know it works out for him anyway

Op implied that Deku is the worst MC ever made, which is a retarded ass point and he should kill himself for that clickbait shit

this.
shounen is a demographic mega genre

I only watch the anime, so not sure his personality in the manga. However, I was totally annoyed by him during his exam against Might. Watching him continue to bother and harass Baku was just cringe.

>dude, work together
>omfg, come on.. we have to work together, this guy is tough(no shit, dumbass, he knows what he's up against)
>omg, I don't care if you hit me and push me away, please work together with me. don't give up.
even naruto wasn't this bad with sasuke.

>Op implied that Deku is the worst MC ever made
No he didn't

I-I like him

Why are you so butthurt over BNHA?

>deku's single largest character trait is a young man's adoration for a male role model
>dumb femposters can't empathize with that
imagine my shock

Oh nice, is this a Deku thread?

How the fuck is it possible to make a protagonist this unlikeable? = I dont posses knowledge of any shittier protagonist = Deku is the shittiest protagonist i know

You find Deku unlikable? Who you find likeable then?

>"How the fuck is it possible to make a protagonist this unlikeable?"
Where did he implied that deku is the worst MC?

>How the fuck is it possible to make a protagonist this unlikeable? = I dont posses knowledge of any shittier protagonist
How in the flying fuck did you get to that conclusion?
Holy shit BNHfags are insufferable

>hairstyle is not permanent
>forever edgelord spikes
feels bad.

Shinji

>There are people who think that BNHA fags are a separate breed
>There are people who think that entry level fighting manga fags are different from each other for some reason

You know one, you know the others. They are all the same shit

Nice one, user

>There are people who think that BNHA fags are a separate breed
Fuck off bnhafag, you're not part of Sup Forums, you're just a cancer who rpetend to fit in.

Give him a lot of flaws so he has room for improvement?
????????????????????????

If you wanna witch hunt then go to the Dragon Ball Super thread, i am pretty sure that 90% of the niggas there are from Sup Forums

Spoken like a true BNHfag

>Also the whole "It's me narrating from the future and this is how I became the greatest hero" really kills a lot for me since I never feel like he's in peril because I know it works out for him anyway
Yeah, because it is common for every shonen MC to suffer big damages or die.

ask eyeshield 21 about sena

I honestly think he's one of the best shonen MCs in the last decade

Every day.
Every fucking day

Deku is probably the best modern shonen protag. At least in comparison to shitty protags like Asta from Black Clover. In comparison to him, Deku is BEST protag. And those two have pretty similar issues!! (not having powers in a society where pretty much everyone has powers) but Dekus motivations are a lot more meaningful

>Bakugo would be an infinitely more interesting protagonist
>BNHAfags will argue against this

>Bnh has a garbage-tier MC
In other news water is wet

>H-he's meant to be written like shit!

He will never improve as a protagonist because his biggest flaws aren't treated as flaws as all or aren't even mentioned because the author is too retarded to write a coherent character.

For example, Luffy is a moron, and that's a big flaw. But Oda knows that, his friend know that, and Luffy himself know that. That's not going to change, but it's fine because you know what to expect from him. You may dislike Luffy but you dislike him because of his character.

Meanwhile in MHA the author is a hack that ramdomly makes his characters smart or retarded depending on whether or not it fits the story. For example, Deku called for help in the Stein arc BEFORE knowing if there was a real danger, and that's smart. Next arc, he forgets to call for help in the same situation and nearly gets killed for it. And that was retarded, but it will NEVER be mentioned again because that's simply the only way the author found to add some tension.

Or for example, Deku never actually worked toward his dream before getting promised OFA and he never worked out with OFA to strengthen his control of it for months. And no one will ever call him out because that'd be pointing out the flaws in the story.

So, because the author is a retard, the end result is Deku being an unlikeable cunt and if you think he's a good MC you should fuck off.

And don't give me thoses piece of shit "H-he's just a _____" excuses.

To be fair, bnha has crippled a couple characters and has implied that Deku is a half step from losing his arms.

BNHfags BTFO.
Gonna use this as a pasta

>acts like a piece of shit to everyone because he developed an inferiority complex due to being praised too much as a kid
>interesting

this
Hows your reading comprehension user?

he's just a carbon copy of gon anyway, no idea why anyone watches this rip off

First off, he's nothing like Gon. Secondly, Gon is just a carbon copy of kid Goku but less naïve and less of a fighting autist.

because
>boyscout already at the peak of his ideal with no room to grow as a person
>i'm supposed to relate to this
is so much better

>Deku never actually worked toward his dream before getting promised OFA

I don't get why you faggots continually point this out as a flaw. What's wrong with someone not being fully equipt from the beginning? What's wrong with a flawed character that didn't make all the right decisions? As a reader, I would say that that it is much more relatable. Have you only made all the right decision throughout your life and never regretted any choices you've made? Because I certainly haven't, and I'm pretty sure making and learning from your mistakes is a very human thing. It's pretty obvious Deku was set up as having all odds against him. He was weak, and no one believed in him, not even his mother. While this is capeshit, I would still claim that that it's a rather realistic take on those feelings. If you've been put down and belittled throughout your short life, it would make sense that you would have hard time believing you could actually achieve your dream.
Also it's not like he didn't work towards his dream at all, he was still writing those notebooks, watching and analyzing other heroes.

Gon is nothing like Goku.

you know literally nothing, Gon's character has insane depth and complexity compared to Goku. You know, the qualities that make a character good

this. He's a good guy with good motivations, but the most interesting thing about him as a character was the whole aspect of him going from being quirkless to having a quirk that was so overpowered it would rekt his body whenever he used it. I wish Hori had found a more creative ways for him to mitigate the damage but not have full control over it, but instead we got "full cowl" and his level of control got turned into arbitrary "OFA x%!!" power level bullshit. I do like the shoot style development though, even if it doesn't fix the previous point.

>Gon
>depth
>complexity
Fucking hilarious

When does this complexity come in because I'm on the York Shin arc and currently he's just a blander Goku but even more of a Gary Stu?

Full cowl was logical though, I kind of liked how the protagonist realized he was just using his power wrong because he misunderstood it rather than the typical "just keep training and you'll figure it out or put yourself in a life or death situation and you'll have to motivation to succeed"

>What's wrong with someone not being fully equipt from the beginning? What's wrong with a flawed character that didn't make all the right decisions?
Because it's never touched upon as a flaw, since this is simply the author not thinking through his characterisation.

>Also it's not like he didn't work towards his dream at all, he was still writing those notebooks, watching and analyzing other heroes.
PAthetic excuses bnhatard.

It makes his “desire to be a hero” come off as fake. In his own class there’s Tail Nigga who got in by working the fuck out even though his quirk is tail.

Please explain how Gon is a gary stu.

Every other protagonist in shonen is this paper thin "I want to do good!" which is why Deku is just another disappointment. Gon has a dark side, he has passion to the extent that he loses control, and he's a perfect symbol of our own humanity and the grim reality of society. Only other protagonist to come close to that fantastic writing is Naruto but even then the "dark side" is the fox so it's not even naruto and then the fox turns good in the end.

And when Gon goes god mode he almost dies, which is just outstanding social commentary on the flaws of embraces that dark side. And I'd be willing to bet that Gon knew he was going to face those consequences and be did it anyway because he's a hero. Of course I'm probably just wasting my time explaining this. If you didn't realize it on your own you probably still won't be able to understand it now

his and bakugou's dynamic has potential to improve after he helps save Bakugou after the villain league kidnaps him, and after this they get into a fight and Bakugou learns about OFA and Dekus relationship with AM but Baku hasn't received a lot of screentime to interact with deku since then. Honestly half the reason this arc feels so weak is because they used the license exam as an excuse to temporarily write 2 of the most interesting characters (Baku and Todo) out, which would be fine if Hori used the opportunity to flesh out other characters, but so far it's mostly been focused on all new characters and deku instead of any of the established, likeable side characters, the exception being Redriot whose development came in the form of a poorly timed 2 chapter flashback in the middle of a fight's climax.

Yeah, I know that style of narration isn't a new thing, but I really dislike starting points that show where the main character ends up before the story hardly even begins.

I'd ask this, what could Deku have done to work towards his dream? He had no quirk to focus on

They wanted him to have started crossfitting at the age of 5

I agree, but it pretty much completely threw any drawback that we had previously seen for using OfA out the window. It would have been better if it came with a time limit or actually gimped Dekus analytic ability due to the focus required to maintain it or something. The problem is that once Deku discovers full cowl, he basically never has.an excuse not to use it, so his base power level is so much higher that it hurts what made the character interesting.

it just sounds hypocritical considering the guy spent almost a year training his body to be the vassal for OFA. That alone was more work than most other shonen protagonists.

>Replied disagreeingly with post that agrees with them
Spoken like a true retard that can’t read. Sasuga

Just working out as soon as he hits his teenagers years. But I guess you're a dekutard so you'll pretend this was somehow impossible.

Fuck you bnhatard, can you not realise that if your only arguments are basically I AM SILLY WAAAAH you come off as pretentious cunts?

Fuck off bnhatard, you're not at the level of shonenshit, I'd even put your retarded fanbase belows the isekaifags.

By going full Knuckleduster.

Gon could have broken his arm and killed Stain with that one hit he got in. Fowl Cowl just allows him to get more control over OFA by letting him enter into the range of power used instead of just 0% or 100%. I'd assume that he could still go 100% and shatter his arm in full cowl

DESU after Deku faced off with Shinso I really wished Shinso was the protag

If you’re going to argue, at least check your facts

Then again, that’s too much to expect

IT MOVED

He's good at everything and every character can't help but suck his dick.

>Just working out as soon as he hits his teenagers years
Sooo, he's what 14 when he takes the entrance test. You think he could have passed that if he'd been working out for about 2 years and just went for it quirkless?

I understand how full cowl works, my problem is that it turned a strong power with a drawback into a strong power with no drawback as long as some arbitrary percentage is below a certain amount.

This is amazingly stupid.

>Just working out as soon as he hits his teenagers years. But I guess you're a dekutard so you'll pretend this was somehow impossible.
I find it funny that you are criticizing Deku for not having focused on working out when he was younger, despite the fact that he spent a shitload of time training in the show explicitly to get OFA. Not to mention he even over trains because his drive is so strong, not just to get OFA or get into the hero academia but to be the best hero possible. His drive and passion are there in the show and he puts that into practice with training

I can understand that.

Not an argument.

I'll throw out some bait and say that Deku works way more for his power than any other shonen protagonist, at least arguably so early in the anime.

That logic is terrible.

Something bad doesn't become good because everything else is worse.

Rance is not a good guy just because every other character is worse than he is. You get what I'm saying?

But that’s consistent with their world. Sure you could argue that his quirk is “just a tail” or Kendou’s which are simplu “big hands”, but consider this: physical training with said tail or said bigger hands is leagues above physical training when you’re quirkless

I could even argue that all the characters that are pure physical fighters (non-quirk augmented) still base their fights around their quirk. Aizawa, Stain, and now Sir

He's the one that wanted to take the entrance test in the first place. On the justification that "there's always a chance". Nothing wrong with that, but making Deku in chapter 1 that kid who, even hopelessly, wants to be a hero and simultaenously never making him actually putting on extra work to compensate his lack of quirk AND never addressing how lazy he was before he met AM just makes him look like a lazy kid who talked the talk but never walked the walk.

This is basic writing, but I'm not surprised a bnhatard like you don't get it.

there's a reason hunter is ranked six best anime of all time faggot. It would be higher if more people weren't as dumb as you and unable to understand the great writing

Deku serves to make everyone else around him interesting, which seems to be a common trait for young male protags.

Not meant to be.

>F-fuck off BNHAtard
>You’re not at the level of shonenshit
At least fix your english first. But then again, I expect as much from someone who misread an entire post

>despite the fact that he spent a shitload of time training in the show explicitly to get OFA
keyword : to get OFA

Luffy trained for 10 years before going out a sea.
Naruto spent everyday busting his ass at a ninja school

Deku trained for like 6 months and only after AM promised him one of the most powerful quirks in the setting as a reward. fuck you bnhatard this is embarrassing.

I'll throw this out there, is it possible that it's just a flaw Deku has? That he had this drive to take the exam and get accepted but spent his time writing notes and not training because he it was easier and he had already given up?
We get a scene when he's walking home after the slime incident and he is literally telling himself that deep down he always knew there wasn't a chance.

HOLY SHIT HAHAHAHAHA
>inb4 nnot an argoeemuuntz

Not getting enough attention in the other thread, are you?

Imagine replying to an obvious bait.

>Naruto spent everyday busting his ass at a ninja school
AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
Holy fucking shit you cannot be serious. Naruto is one of the laziest fucking shonen protagonists out there. He didn't do shit until he went to train with Jiraiya and even then he was constantly bitching.

I do think it's a great manga, but gon is a simple, straightforward and bland character. Him getting mad once in a while doesn't change that

why are BnHA fags worse than BCfags?

I'll give you Luffy but naruto is nowhere near Deku or Luffy. He's a huge lazy shit with a deus ex machina chakra reserve that just lets him spam shadow clowns and rage win.

Also I'll throw in Gon. Little shit also didn't do anything to train until the Yorknew Arc.

because they are desperate to have their shonen be good while good shit already has been created

>is it possible that it's just a flaw Deku has?
It's a flaw if it's ever pointed out as one in the story in any way.

Which it isn't.

Sup Forums is such a wonderful place.

Good job mods.

Gon started training in Heavens Arena

Is the "Deku should've worked out as a 5 year old" also Grapefag shitposting or is this another tard?

That was more of a plot device than a character trait. MHA has a basic writing and even so anons read too deep into it.

BCfags don't have a shitposter shitting up their threads 24/7.

What do you want, All Might to go "Well young Midoriya, if you weren't such a lazy ass throughout your childhood, it would have been much easier lifting that fridge haha"?
Shonens are bad enough already at treating the reader as a retard

And Deku start training immediately after he met All Might and that's not including many years of data gathering.