Has the question of "which is more important to save...

Has the question of "which is more important to save, one person you know or a large number of strangers" ever been handled well in anime? It seems like the answer is always "NO ONE HAS TO DIE" being screeched by the autistic main protagonist, even when they were in a situation where someone was absolutely going to die outside of a plot convenience miracle.

Has any moral dilemma ever been handled well in anime? The protagonist is always an annoying faggot who's like "yeah he murdered my parents but if I kill him then I'm just as bad so I'll use the power of friendship that takes 30 episodes and puts all my friends in danger instead"

Death Note has handled it the best.

that's just batman

Do you only watch battle shounen, or what?

and batman a shit

That is true, he was pretty chaotic good.

Good point.
Can't think of a single moral dilemma that was memorable or handled well.

Who? I sure fucking hope you don't mean Light, because Light was literally murdering people for insulting him by chapter two.

kumo handled the moral dilemma pretty well, there's only one person that she wants to protect and doesn't mind sacrificing 99% of the world's population to save the world
although in that story being dead is actually more safe than being alive so the tragedy of death is devalued a lot

that's the wrong choice though

It's a cultural thing.
Baka gaijin wouldn't understand

I haven't read the latest wn chapters and I think the writer is focusing more on the ln now, but as far as I remember she's trying to fix the world and already had a lot of humans and demons die for it

it turns out this moral dilemma was just an allegory for WWII the whole time. the single, valued person represents Japan's pride, whereas the large amount of strangers represents Japan's relationships with the rest of the world outside of the Axis Powers. they used the bombing of pearl harbor to just the former.

space trek meme aside, this is the right answer. selfishness shouldn't factor into saving people

Why should you care about a bunch of people you never met? They're not going to make your life better, and you're not gonna be a hero. You just make your life miserable so others can continue with their lives. Great, amazing. They'll forget about you next week.

You don't follow morals for gains. That's why these are ethical problems and dilemmas in the first place, retard.

this always annoyed me a ton. I've watched several anime where the MC let the villain get away because "killing is wrong" and the villain proceeds to go on killing dozens of civilians

their death is on YOUR hands, isuca you dumb fucking bitch

im sick of MC's going berserk AFTER one of their friends gets hurt or killed. why can't they just fucking comprehend that their friends are in danger, and go berserk immeidately to prevent that shit?

there's an episode of highschool dxd where Issei even mentions "man I can only activate balance breaker after someone gets hurt, what a useless power"

>Has the question of "which is more important to save, one person you know or a large number of strangers" ever been handled well in anime?
They did okay in the first season and went full retard for round two.

what a miserable experience shingeki no bahamut became. it was quite possibly the best "based off of a shitty phone game" anime of all time, then I guess they just gave up because they wanted to put a boy in a dress

> selfishness shouldn't factor into saving people
How is saving another person selfish? Unless you're doing it specifically so that you can hang out with them or whatever, I don't see it. You just value X person's life more than Y's.

>someone you know or strangers
>someone you know
>you know
>you
gosh i just can't piece it together.

>making decisions based on your own priorities is selfish because the word "you" is involved in the description
Come on, make a better argument than that. If you save random strangers, you're still doing it because "you" made that moral moral decision.

I didn't say it was selfish, it's the opposite. You save people because morals because you're not selfish.
Well you could always argue that you sacrifice your personal pleasures for personal ideology (ethics, morals or whatever) which is still an interest of yours but that's besides the point I think.

The value of the one person you saved is entirely guided by your own perception, though. The only unbiased way to look at it is purely number of lives saved.

>you can choose to save your mother or 3 mass murderers (who you know for certain will never kill again)
>you choose the mass murderes

Wow user, you must be a very moral person. Thank you for solving all of our ethical problems with unbiased FACTS.

>you can save a thousand scientists who are mere days from figuring out how to cure every disease on Earth or your one cousin who molested you when you were six
You're right, always go with the person you know.

However as your mother's son you have a responsability towards her, you're not only bound to her by human social contracts but also family and group social contracts. Also you're not directly responsible for these 3 guys lives because you haven't asked to be put in this situation and the real person at fault is the one puling the strings.

Not saying you should choose to save your mother by letting, say, 100 people die either. I don't think there's a hard rule.

fuck utilitarianism

>then I guess they just gave up because the dumbass writer they hired turned it into her personal spank bank
ftfy.

>anime present the trolley problem
>acktully just I'll save both

enjoy being one of the dead people because a stranger wanted to keep his molester cousin alive then

No, I wasn't even arguing for always choosing your relatives, just against always choosing greater numbers. And even if I was I was it would of course people you like, not just people you know.

for all i know you're in a healthy gay relationship with your molester cousin. Who's to say the strangers aren't all good people?

I wouldn't blame someone who saved his relative over 2 or 3 people even including me. I'd blame the one who put us in this situation in the first place.

It's not the same if the guy has to kill me. In this case fuck him.

You meant multi-track drifting?

if you multi-track drift, you kill everyone though

Light is a stupid fuck who never would have been caught if he didn't let his ego get the better of him and kill Lind L. Taylor.

>people are surprised that childrens cartoons choose to sidestep moral dilemmas with a third option in which everyone lives

How about the dilemma of saving your beloved wife/husband (love of your life) or your children?You can have more children, or adopt or whatever, but you can't have your beloved one once is killed.

Yeah, but then you did not discriminate, automatically granting you full pardon for any action you did.

marry your child

Yuuki Yuuna is a Hero (and all the other LN's/VN's/Manga/Mobage does a fairly decent job exploring OP's dilemna

The Fate series (Zero anime + the SN routes, at least in the VN) handle it pretty well; it's kind of overlooked what with all the waifu wars and other plot points, but Kerry's harsh utilitarianism and Shirou's later decisions portray the topic in an interesting light.

I believe Madoka also touches upon it with Kyoko and Sayaka's conflicting ethical philosophies.

Depends on how well developed the child is at the point of the decision.

Ryuki

Wut?

>I believe Madoka also touches upon it with Kyoko and Sayaka's conflicting ethical philosophies.
Yeah I was thinking about that but couldn't put my finger on it. Sayaka is the UH HUH EVERYONE LIVES kid before she turns into the exact opposite. Kyoko is a bit closer to grey, she never goes too far in white knight or murderer territory.

This siscon here literally abandoned everything and went to save her

The answer is so obvious that asking that question is just stupid. Let me phrase it in words that any faggot can comprehend:
Which is more important to save, you're waifu or the whole population of Sup Forums?

Sup Forums.

Meme problem btfo.

It's a fucking trolley. I'll just switch to the right rail, run over to the guy, drag him off the tracks and make some popcorn before the trolley reaches him.

The Mass Effect anime was utter shit but the moral dilemma of whether or not the MC would save his waifu or a massive population of colonists that he personally formed bonds with was interesting because you almost expected a scenario where he would manage to save both. In the end, he lets the colonists all die while they adamantly claim among themselves that he would never abandon them.

I'll take the random anime tune.
>what did I get?

komm susser tod

re:zero did it pretty well

Penguindrum

Am I in a sexual relationship with the one person? Would one of the people in the large group be willing to be in a sexual relationship with me if I save them?

what's the problem?

>Save everything we have now, or let everyone be at the mercy of an invisible creator who is responsible for everything bad that has ever happened to you.