"The treatment of colour nearly always horrifies anyone going out from Britain, & not only in South Africa...

>"The treatment of colour nearly always horrifies anyone going out from Britain, & not only in South Africa. Unfort[unately], not many retain that generous sentiment for long." ― Letter 61 — Written to Christopher Tolkien who was stationed in South Africa during World War II

>"I have the hatred of apartheid in my bones; and most of all I detest the segregation or separation of Language and Literature. I do not care which of them you think White." ― From a Valedictory Address to the University of Oxford in 1959

>"I must say that the enclosed letter from Rutten & Loening is a bit stiff. Do I suffer this impertinence because of the possession of a German name, or do their lunatic laws require a certificate of arisch origin from all persons of all countries? ... Personally I should be inclined to refuse to give any Bestätigung (although it happens that I can), and let a German translation go hang. In any case I should object strongly to any such declaration appearing in print. I do not regard the (probable) absence of all Jewish blood as necessarily honourable; and I have many Jewish friends, and should regret giving any colour to the notion that I subscribed to the wholly pernicious and unscientific race-doctrine." ― Letter 29 — In response to Tolkien's German publishers asking whether he was of Aryan origin

>"It was Sam's first view of a battle of Men against Men, and he did not like it much. He was glad that he could not see the dead face. He wondered what the man's name was and where he came from; and if he was really evil at heart, or what lies or threats had led him on the long march from his home; and if he would not really rather have stayed there in peace." ― The Two Towers, "Of Herbs and Stewed Rabbit"

Attached: Tolkien.jpg (2000x1000, 333K)

Other urls found in this thread:

lettersofnote.com/2012/03/i-have-no-ancestors-of-that-gifted.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

i liked reading this, thanks

have another

>Thank you for your letter. I regret that I am not clear as to what you intend by arisch. I am not of Aryan extraction: that is Indo-Iranian; as far as I am aware none of my ancestors spoke Hindustani, Persian, Gypsy, or any related dialects. But if I am to understand that you are enquiring whether I am of Jewish origin, I can only reply that I regret that I appear to have no ancestors of that gifted people. ― Letter 30 — An unsent letter to Tolkien's German publishers in which he notes that "Aryan" is a linguistic term.

i found the full text
lettersofnote.com/2012/03/i-have-no-ancestors-of-that-gifted.html

in regards to the claim the TLOTR is allegory for WW2:
>The real war does not resemble the legendary war in its process or its conclusion. If it had inspired or directed the development of the legend, then certainly the ring would have been seized and used against Sauron; he would not have been annihilated but enslaved, and Barad-dur would not have been destroyed but occupied. Sauruman, failing to get possession of the Ring, would in the confusion and treacheries of the time have found in Mordor the missing links in his own researches into Ring-lore, and before long he would have made a Great Ring of his own with which to challenge the self styled Ruler of Middle-Earth. In that conflict both sides would have held hobbits in hatred and contempt: they would not long have survived even as slaves.

/ourguy/

Tolkien hated allegory, he considered it a crutch for weak storytelling, and he raged whenever anyone suggested that his story had any deeper meaning. If one wants to argue that writing doesn't exist in a vacuum fine but as far as Tolkien was concerned he wrote a story about a pair of midgets traveling to a volcano to destroy a magic ring.

Also he had LotR in the works decades before WW2 happened.

>I cordially dislike allegory in all its manifestations, and always have done so since I grew old and wary enough to detect its presence. I much prefer history – true or feigned– with its varied applicability to the thought and experience of readers. I think that many confuse applicability with allegory, but the one resides in the freedom of the reader, and the other in the purposed domination of the author.

Attached: jrr-tolkien-color-photo-outside-nature-hat.jpg (460x281, 31K)

Stephen Colbert flicking his bean to the idea that Tolkien wasnt racist while two orcs tag team his wife

>the idea that Tolkien wasnt racist

What an outrageous notion. Just look at his personal letters! Practically dripping with venomous hate for all non-white peoples.

Attached: WhatsApp Image 2018-03-16 at 22.04.05.jpg (1080x1193, 113K)

>Hated all non white people
Don't the quotes in the OP contradict that claim? Or am I missing something.

Ah yes the The Eternal Anglo lecturing you about "muh racism" while he lives in his 100% white community.

Artists do not own that which they influence.

>cucktholosism
Not even once.

Pretty easy to be a raging anti racist when your only contact with Africans is your black mammy in your all white suburb in South Africa.

>You should let Africans rape and murder you cuz that's what the good lord would wan't

Tolkien was born in South Africa.

No he literally owned the stories he wrote, that's how copyrights work.

--------the point------>
*your head*

Yeah I get that you're trying to appropriate Tolkien's work for your politics but authorial intent counts for something you know.

>authorial intent counts for something you know.
Not to me.

>I do not regard the (probable) absence of all Jewish blood as necessarily honourable; and I have many Jewish friends
Well, that explains the whole Elves (whites) and the Dwarves (Jews) becoming friends in his work.

And spent his time there in a white segregated neighborhood. But no doubt he was a Christcuck who would love to get hacked to death by one of his black Christian brothers, not before forgiving him of course.

He was born and raised in the Orange Free State a nation literally founded for whites until it was conquered by the Britcuck Empire because Cecil Rhodes and De Beers wanted dem diamond mines.

>authorial intent counts

It really doesn't when all he writes about is how great the Anglo-Saxons were and how horrifying the non-white mud people are. THere's a reason he chose to live and die in England and not in South Africa.

Attached: sab4europe.jpg (784x613, 259K)

Sorry to tell you brah but you'll never be a good artist with that point of view.
You don't "create" the art, it's not "yours", it was already there - ever story, every combination of words, ever chord progression, every song, every sound - it's all out there, it all already exists.
Artist simply discover it, and share it.

It reminds me of people raised in the wealthy, north side of Chicago who then say "hurr Chicago isn't violent".

Yeah go to the South side which is full of blacks and mestizos and say that you spoiled, pampered yuppy.

>he was a Christcuck who would love to get hacked to death by one of his black Christian brothers

This, Apartheid seems like a "terrible idea" until you realize it's the only thing preventing nogs from macheteing you to death for your shoes.

Attached: zimbabwe-white-farmers.jpg (1200x835, 403K)

>how horrifying the non-white mud people are

Ah yes, like we see in this excerpt from his work:
>
>"It was Sam's first view of a battle of Men against Men, and he did not like it much. He was glad that he could not see the dead face. He wondered what the man's name was and where he came from; and if he was really evil at heart, or what lies or threats had led him on the long march from his home; and if he would not really rather have stayed there in peace." ― The Two Towers, "Of Herbs and Stewed Rabbit"

Orcs are more like Negroids/Mongoloids

The "evil men" who had been corrupted were more like Berbers, Levantine, Assyrians, Anatolians, etc Caucasian people corrupted by some foul force (Islam).

Attached: aa5abfa092514a3de3cae053e2298379.jpg (1013x1015, 702K)