Why is bullying so hardcore in Japan? I don't know if I was lucky or whatever...

Why is bullying so hardcore in Japan? I don't know if I was lucky or whatever, but while I was studying I never saw bullying. Fights did happen (rarely), but the guy getting beaten usually deserved.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Pq3cC5-rFh0
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

anime ≠ japan

not so much now, but back in the 90s there was hardcore shit going down.
at least thats how this documentary in youtube depicted it

That logic doesn't really hold up against shows like 3-Gatsu no Lion and Just Because, which have realistic situations where realistic characters act in realistic ways.

This anime and manga addresses a lot of the societal problems with Japan. The adult reaction to bullying here is the norm for most of Asia. For as bad as PC and victim culture is here, at least most cases are taken seriously, and real victims get the relief they deserve.

Well you don't see bullying out in the open. It happens closed doors. It happens everywhere and it happens often. My friends little brother got bullied so hard that he almost killed himself in the school bathroom. Kids are cruel man.

I thought we're done with this discussion.

One of the problems of Japan is their social problems, there are many

I wouldn't be surprised if bullying in places like Russia makes the kind of bullying depicted in Japan look like light teasing

russians are sub-humans

Post that video with the russian girls
You know wich one

Bullying is part of social education. There is no harm in bullying that doesn't physically hurt bullied person. It is preparing her for life because if someone is a bully target at school she will be forever bullied anywhere. It is a problem when some kid lives in happy comfort bubble that will disappear when she hits adulthood and meet reality. And as a kid you heal faster than an adult.

Looks like you were one of the bullies, OP.

Normally no one would throw a rock at another person and a teacher wouldnt just go "lol she just imagining things" as happened in gatsu. They're just condensed versions of reality where bullying can happen for years on low intensity, but which would be boring to show in a manga or anime.
You just want the reader to immediately think "rock thrower guys = evil, feel sorry for the victim" with no subtlety.

>bullying is okay because others will bully you anyway
Fucking hell, the shit people come up with.

>but the guy getting beaten usually deserved
Lol, you are just on the side of bullies, not bullied.

It's nothing compared to the fiction that dying of old age is fine.

>And as a kid you heal faster than an adult.
Doesnt really apply to psychological problems. Having shocking experiences as a kid can fuck you for life, while an adult would be able to brush them off.
Stopping bullying doesnt mean making kids live in a fake happy world, normal conflict will always happen and should happen to make the children adapt to their situation. But bullying isnt normal conflict, because it doesnt have to happen for a reason and because of its persistence.
If you think it will help a child grow if they are tormented by their mates every single day without a real reason, you should reconsider your position.

I'm not an expert on this kind the whole child psyche and all that shit and the whole societal norms and what not, but I am pretty sure when a kid wants to kill himself because of being bullied then I think that Bullying in of itself is wrong even when it is part of the whole "social education."

>bullying is okay because men are mortal
You sound like an antisocial character trying to justify your own misdeeds. Either that or some wannabe edgemaster.

From what I've read, at least on the higher school grades, I believe that part of the causes of bullying is the high pressure on the students and the competitive educative system. Those students usually end up "letting off steam" by attacking others who won't likely retaliate.

This is just my own opinion, though, just a more ground-leveled conclusion based on the view of the issue in anime, which is usually very extreme

What's the point of your fucking argument? Reality is fucking cruel. Of course you should help victims in extreme cases, but bullying is just a reality check. Life is full of suffering and unfairness and you would be blind to deny it. The way you deal with these things is by making people courageous. The way you become courageous is by overcoming suffering in your life.

If you are bullied and you learned nothing from it then you will always be a victim, until you take responsibility for yourself and improve yourself. And you only have yourself to blame, because blaming reality and the rest of society is unhelpful to you

>>bullying is okay because men are mortal
>What?
Are you retarded?

I heard that hazing in the russian army involves butt rape

This one? youtube.com/watch?v=Pq3cC5-rFh0

Think of bullying at school as a vaccine. Of course you can get overdosed and get killed. But on the other side if you live in a place in which the disease exist you need some vaccination to get along with it. World is not one big hospital and you can't be healthy by pretending that the disease doesn't exist.

Interesting. So this is how the bullies justify their bullying. Edgiest thing I've read in a while.

That sounds good in theory, but kids are stupid and need to be moderated by adults. Most bullies, left unchecked for too long, will take things well beyond the point where the victim can learn anything constructive from it. Life isn't like a movie where the victim can decide to man up one day and the bullies respect them enough to leave them alone.

So what exactly is this disease that you speak of that needs to be vaccinated? I am trying to understand what you are saying, but it just sounds like a justification to indirectly make someone kill them self. If you are saying that people who are different (skin color, accent, weight) should be "vaccinated" then I am sorry, but your reasoning is extremely flawed.

Actually that blind girl we had in class learned to play fetch pretty good.

>Reality is fucking cruel. Bullying is just a reality check.

Is this what you tell yourself when you kick puppies and murder baby seals?

If you guys see that as a good thing then you have problems.

He's partially right but you're right too.

I think that position is more kneejerk backlash to "PC nannystate culture" than any sort of principled conclusion.

>That logic doesn't really hold up against shows like 3-Gatsu no Lion
Just from what was shown in the series, the extent of the "bullying" seemed to be social exclusion, along with bag and shoe theft, followed by stealing Hina's shoes after Hina literally physically assaulted one of her fellow students out of nowhere for saying the wrong thing.

I wish this whole social exclusion=bullying idea would disappear. You don't have a right to be my friend any more than I have a right to be yours.

The manga did a much better job at portraying it and gave better examples.

That's fucking ridiculous. Bullying is and will always be a bad thing. Sure, if you can overcome it then you will become a better, stronger person and that applies to pretty much every hardship in life. But not all kids can do that, in fact, most simply can't reverse the situation and while some can endure them, some can't. By your words, those who can't stand up to bully can just stay that way, it's fine to let them suffer or worse, kill themselves, for the sake of their education.
And the part about needing vaccination and "you will always be bullied" is horse shit. First, having experience with bullying as an adult is a much easier time than having them as a child since you are way better equipped to deal with them. Second, I was bullied in primary, middle and high school, not to the extent of kids who are basically classes' punching bags, but still bullied regardless. I didn't do a shit aside from enduring and avoiding attention to myself and now that I got out of those toxic environment, I haven't had to deal with them again.
Stop insinuating that bully is somehow acceptable because "that's just nature". It's a nature that needs to be prevented.

I understand the whole argument that children shouldn't be coddled, but there is a big difference between teasing and bullying. Bullying is the kind of thing that can seriously damage a person's mental health well into adulthood.

You're right about the moderation of adults. Adults undoubtedly play a big role in school bullying, but there is workplace bullying that can lead to horrible places too.

You're wrong about how a victim can't decide to man up one day. It's a very time intensive process to grow as a person. But at the bottom of manning up is exactly that. There is a point where you decide that there is something you want to change about yourself. Something that could be better. Even if it takes you years of hard work and consistent failure, at the bottom of it all is the decision to change your life. That's the moment where you man up. And yes, it takes a long time and a lot of work for it to bear fruit.

The disease that needs to be vaccinated is victim mentality. More specifically the feeling that "there is nothing I can do to improve my situation, anything I can possibly do will be pointless". If you get into a tragic situation in your life or if you meet someone who is acting evil and really out to hurt you and you have that mentality, you will end up seriously hurt and/or killing yourself.

No, it's at the bottom of what it means to act good and to act evil. Being evil means using power to hurt. Being good means using power to protect. If you are a bullying victim and you don't do anything to help your situation, you are neither good nor evil. You're just useless. And you are also the only person that can change that.

It's not good that people are bullied. But we live in a world where you NEED to be strong.

This is the ultimate form of bullying in shoujo because women are biologically wired to evaluate themselves based on social standing.
Males are depicted as being able to scrap out their problems and be best buds the next week, but physical violence is distinctly male angst, honestly.

>make someone kill them self
Why are you always going to that extreme? Moderate bullying helps, too much doesn't. Why is this concept so hard for you to understand?
>If you are saying that people who are different should be "vaccinated"
If that difference is likely to cause you problems in your adult life, then yes.

If you are living in a world where noone will harm you for what you are, then no.

Is that clear enough?

Does moderate groping help us deal with emotional impact of rape too?

>which have realistic situations where realistic characters act in realistic ways.
They don't

He was sarcastic you retards

I was sarcastic too, retard.

>The disease that needs to be vaccinated is victim mentality. More specifically the feeling that "there is nothing I can do to improve my situation, anything I can possibly do will be pointless". If you get into a tragic situation in your life or if you meet someone who is acting evil and really out to hurt you and you have that mentality, you will end up seriously hurt and/or killing yourself.
Bullying is usually where that stems from in the first place. If the victim is vastly outnumbered, any attempt to do something will be quickly shut down and teach the victim that attempts to improve their situation will end in failure.

:(
looks like the girls older than the guy and thus bigger and more confident. Poor kid is going to grow up fucked up and probably stab some woman at some point

I hope he gets bigger, goes to the gym for a few years then tracks down this girl and beats her to death honestly

Again using extreme situation to prove your point? All I am talking about average bullying and its impact on average person in her average life. Rape is not average neither is making someone kill themselves.

>You're wrong about how a victim can't decide to man up one day
Real life proves that you are wrong, deadly wrong. Hell, I don't even need to bring up anything but pointing straight at your argument "it takes you years of hard work and consistent failure". So you say one day you wake up and think to yourself, "I'm going to man up!", that's cool and all and then you go to school and you are bullied. Fun time. Years of suffering don't always end in a happy note friend and it will definitely leave scar afterward (internally and even externally), scar that could have been prevented by an adult stepping and lending a helping hand.
I'm all against the victim mentality, I'm not even disagree with many of your points but the tone you are taking is what I take most problem with. Imagine yourself a bullied kid and some adult tells you "suck it up kiddo", how would you feel? No, forget about that, think: does it help you one bit? No, it's fucking useless.

The absence of firearms means that there's no negative consequence for the bullies if they push their victims too far.

Also, .

Victim mentality I agree is bad to have. If one does not get out of that mindset, then that person is bound to be into situation in their life that is inescapable. But, I believe this does not apply to children. Children don't have the mental capacity of adults, which is a fact, and therefore cannot critically think through certain problems or situations. If one were to put a child into a situation where bullying is a factor, the child won't be able to properly react. This could majorly effect their mental growth. What you are describing works with adults, but not with children.
The reason why I am always bringing it to the extreme is because the extreme is bound to happen. It has been seen multiple times throughout the past couple of decades in the United States that bullying can result in some devastating results; school shoots and suicides. Bullying is a serious subject because children do not know what moderation is and this often leads to very undesirable situations. Am I saying that the world should have no form of hardship so that everyone may live in a safe bubble? No, I am not saying that. I firmly believe that hardships are what shapes people into who they are now. Bullying is a form of torture. Some kids are able to grit their teeth and bare through it, others just except it, some fight against it in either a healthy or unhealthy way, and the remaining die from it.
>If that difference is likely to cause you problems in your adult life, then yes.
Let me pose you another question then. What if the child being bullied is someone from different ethnicity, race, or color? Do you think that they should still be bullied for something that they can't correct or fix?

I always wonder if these people are hyper-alphas or wimps with stockholm syndrome.

I think that's an baseless assumption. Bullying is where that mentality first becomes obvious, but it's usually instilled by parents and the home environment. Siblings bully one another too, for example

You can see this in how some children don't get bullied or successfully overcome attempts of bullying them. They are capable enough to defend themselves and maybe even their friends. Where do they get this from? The only answer is from when they were younger.

In addition to that, bullying doesn't start at "tomorrow we'll make you kill yourself" but at a lower level and then it escalates further, as the victim doesn't resist. If this wasn't the case, suicide would be far more frequent.

And I'm not denying that there are situations where you can be simply overwhelmed. But that's exactly why you need to be strong. Though I understand that you can't be all powerful to defend yourself. But that's just part of the tragedy of life, some people WILL be in a miserable situation and there is nothing they or you and me can do about it.

You're right, that kind of way of "helping" the victim is completely useless.

It's very hard to teach this to children and I personally don't think a teacher can do it (without a miracle).

But I think that how not all children experience bullying and how siblings that bully one another excessively can lead to similar results as bullying in other places are signs that children ARE capable of acting out the mindset I described. Hopefully they learn this at home, but reality shows us that they do so less than in the past

I think it's people who were bullied as kids who try to tell themselves they came out stronger because of it, while sitting on Sup Forums discussing anime.

Bullying is an integral part of Japanese culture. Just look at their variety entertainment shows. Most of them are in some way based on laughing at other people's misery. The Mitsuhiro Ichiki incident was intended to be entertainment as well.

>no negative consequence for the bullies
Well it weights on their conscience if their victims suicide. I mean we are talking about school bullies here, they are mean but they are not fucking evil.

>Why is bullying so hardcore in Japan

I understand what you are saying, but there should be better ways of teaching children that having a "victim's mentality" is bad. Bullying is the worst way for a child to learn that being okay with "I can't do anything about it" is wrong. I'm not an expert on childhood development, but there has to be other ways to teach children that. Like, having the child go through an exercise that they can't complete with moderate effort. I don't know, I just think bullying is wrong and that no kid should have to go through that.

>The reason why I am always bringing it to the extreme is because the extreme is bound to happen.
Then people should not drive cars because accidents are bound to happen? Some people get into school shootings but more people don't. Too bad noone writes articles about average lives. Life is a lottery, universe doesn't care about human justice, deal with it.

Class is a sample of society. If you live in a society that disrespects your race, you have to learn how to cope with it. What you want is to turn that class into magical safe space that doesn't exist anywhere else. You want to tell them lies.

>There is no harm in bullying that doesn't physically hurt bullied person
Yeah, until they snap.

3-gatsu fans have no idea what "realistic" means.

In fact, most manga fans don't know. They think that just because it makes them cry is realistic.

I think after all these replies we can all agree on a few points:
>bullying is bad
>adults should assist the child in resolving his situation as a guider and a safety measure
Obviously this is very hard with risk involved but it's not something we should shy away from, that's a start at least.
I don't think you are the shitty type who just leaves incapable children to their own devices, which is a bad idea, but you should select your words when talking about this problem in the future, unless you want to intentionally rile people up against you.

Because children are miniature sociopathic sadists

Bullying is wrong, I agree man. I'm not trying to endorse it either. Bullying is more like the first time you can fall into the trap, if you're not already immune to it. And this doesn't mean that bullying can't leave you truly helpless.
But the other side of this is living without toughness. At some point in your life, there will be an event that will shatter you, because it's life. Either you get a serious disease, a beloved family member dies, you're betrayed by your partner or this happens to someone very close to you.

And I really don't know man, is life better better if you get bullied as a child or is life better when you get by as a fragile person, until your life is shattered? It's always terrible and there is always the chance that you'll end up dead or miserable. But it's going to happen at some point.

Thanks for trusting in me being a good guy and the advice. Talking is hard, I tell you. Though I agree with your points. Good night

>That logic doesn't really hold up against shows like 3-Gatsu no Lion and Just Because, which have realistic situations where realistic characters act in realistic ways.
>The adult reaction to bullying here is the norm for most of Asia.
Does the work show why teachers allow this or only portray them as cruel and careless people?

Does the work show why students do this or only portray them as cruel and sadistic people?

Does the work show the consequences subtly or focus on showing the victim crying and sad all the time?

Cliques is normal in school and it's pretty common that the loner/weird one gets bullied, The teacher laughing it off like it was a joke is fucking retarded.

Bullying like that and worse happens in every country user.

The teacher's reaction is exaggerated to the extreme, but it;s based in a kind of thinking that does take place. Of course, 3-gatsu is just doing this for drama.

You too user.

>be me
>poorfag ‘merrican
>12yo fat-chan
>watch anime to make friends
>bullied for my gay Chinese cartoons
>bully-chan throws my manga out schoolbus window
>same bully-chan who bullied me for liking anime and being fat in my youth now likes mainstream anime and does lewd cosplay

Nobody wants to read your blog. Fuck off.

Everybody wants to read your blog. Fuck on.

all the fucking tables had scribbles on them when I was at school. so I thought this shit kind of bulling didn't even exist until anime open my 3rd world gaijin eyes.

imho all people deserves some level of bullying in their lives.
I've read some stories about japanese suicides and some of them
were because shit we live everyday here,

some japanese are pussies used to their comfy lives
so at the first shit that happens in their lives they commit suicide
instead of giving a fuck about "honor" and the people around them
for once.

your hell is like heaven for some people you don't know.

I don't know what country you live in, but every organization I've been part of had a strict no tolerance policy for bullying.
In schools kids got detentions and supensions for bullying. The repeat offenders are quarantined to their own classes with other special individuals. In the army bullies got their shit pushed in by their superiors and lost their vacations. Your superiors determine your quality of life in the army, so generally you don't want to stand out as a problem. At work places the employers don't like the reduced efficiency that bullying causes and tend to deal with the issue directly.

In more serious cases you can simply sue the bullies for slander, assault and whatnot. Usually the bullies learn to not fuck with people once their actions directly affect their quality of life. Only the mentally special individuals continue getting themselves deeper in to the shit.

I got bullied to Yume Miru Kusuri levels in school but without the cute girls and sex. It was bad.

>The repeat offenders are quarantined to their own classes with other special individuals.

Did they tie their legs, put them inside a circle and told them "two enter, but only one leaves"? Because that would've been pretty cool.

eh, I am russian and bullying only involved beating up, no psychological shit

>bullying is ok because the adult life is hard and cruel
Why is it ok for adults to be cruel dicks? Can't we all be nice and get along?

Considering their grades your example is very spot on if you swap the word circle to a semester.

>All these people saying a little bullying never hurt anyone

I know Sup Forums likes to live in their bubble disconnected from reality but wew, lads. It's called bullying for a reason, not "friendly teasing".

>Well it weights on their conscience if their victims suicide.
Do you really believe that?

"nigga killed himself lmfao bruh" - bully's twitter eulogy in the aftermath of this tragic event, demonstrating clear remorse and a plan to reform his ways

I seriously can't tell if you are stupid or trolling. Either way, your logic is still flawed. A car is a tool that people use to get around. Is bullying any kind of tool? How can you use bullying any sort of way so that it benefits you and others? Can you use bullying to hammer in a nail? If you are seriously putting a car and bullying on the same pedestal than you are either ignorant or you have no capacity for emotion.Yeah, you are right that the universe doesn't care about human justice, but do you know who does? People. From what you are saying it suggests that you would rather walk on by when 3 kids are forcing another one to eat mud. It also suggest that you would go up to said kid and tell him, "Tough luck, that's life for you."
I don't think bullying is something that prepares a person for other hardships in life. Disease, death, and betrayal of a love one is something entirely different from bullying. Yes, there are going to be moments in life where it will shatter you, but in those moments you have someone that will by your side to help you get through it. Bullying is just cruel and it is something can be avoided I feel.

post pics of lewd cosplay

As someone who did some bullying in school, yeah, I do. Kids are just fucking asshats sometimes, but that doesn't mean you are evil.

You have too much hope. Stop it.

Nobody deserves bullying. But everyone deserves hardship. One is caused by life the other is caused by the malice of other people usually for no good reason. Which is fucking stupid. You fuck up you deal with it, that's hardship. Not because you simply exist, that's bullying. If the world at large says fuck you, that is categorized as suffering.

>bullies are souless demons

Sounds like a anime romcom waiting to happen.

Yeah, surely bullying is gonna have less of an effect on young still developing person, than an fucking adult.

>revealing your power level
You brought this on yourself user.

Some are in being that they are the peer pressure, they want to stand above the rest for no good reason so they use a macho mentality to pick a random victim and fuck them up then give themselves meaning. I know, I was one of em.

>get bullied for being a mega slut
>is actually a mega slut
who was in the wrong

The niggers are, obviously.

Sup Forums is a bunch of nerds who probably got bullied in school but would've jumped at the chance of being the bullies themselves, you're going to get some pretty extreme and emotional responses either way.

>a random victim
Either you have autism or you are just making shit up. There is always a reason even if you can't point it out precisely. Some people are just bulliable. It's not random at all.

Of course you bullied people, we all did.

I dont enlist that a person that looks like he can be bullied as a reason why you should bully them.

People are bullied when they are "different" even for the most tiny and rediculous detail.

Why don't they ever complain to their parents?

Maybe I worded it wrong then. It's not about if they can be bullied or not. It's just that some kids unintentionally provoked the urge for you to bully them while others didn't.