Kino no Tabi -the Beautiful World-

Does Sup Forums enjoy the 2017 series so far?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=-IqwbVwo434
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

No, it's garbage.

What makes you think so

It's very mediocre compared to the first. I can see why newfaggots would like it, though.

Haven't watched it since episode 3. I'm not planning on dropping it, but it really hasn't catched my interest.

I've been enjoying the 2017 series, should I watch the older series after? I didn't know there was more.

>he didn't watch the 2003 Kino
>he thinks that 2017 version is comparable in any way

You should.
Might give you a different perspective on things as far as which series carries itself better in tune with the overall theme of the franchise. Of course opinions are subjective, but it would be nice to know the thoughts of someone who's new to the series.
Most people who have already watched the 2003 series end up being a little biased with their criticism.

I couldn't finish the latest episode.

Decent as a standalone but clearly inferior to 2003.

>not using the .gif

2017 is too generic its okay.

Shizu is now a main character?

I fucking loved the original anime and the novels. I watched the first ep of this and yeah it was pretty shit. Her design sucks, direction sucks, 3D sucks, everythings all changed to appeal to masses.

Nope.

Okay, so what's up with Photo?
I saw some people saying that she was confirmed, but I haven't personally seen any promo material mentioning her.

(You)

I'm honestly enjoying it. It's pretty clear that compared to 2003 doesn't have the same solid direction, probably because they choose to adapt pretty much random material, but overall I'm liking it way more than most anime this year. If this season didn't have Sangatsu and Last Trip this would be my AOTS

I didn't know there were films for this series, should I check them out? Will I miss out?

You should check them out, but if you don't you won't miss out on much.
If I were you I'd watch Life Goes On after you eventually finish the 2003 series so that it might have a bigger impact on you, and Country of Illness can be watched whenever.

Thanks, I'm going to download the 2003 series and watch that movie too.

It's alright but 03 is clearly superior. The direction is so flat and Hermes' VA sounds like he wants to be done with it all.

Master and Aibou should have gotten their own movies...

This man is role-playing as a mentally-ill man looking for his lost love while his house-keeper is the lost love. Is everyone in this episode simply role-playing?

Every single person in that country has only been pretending to be retarded. Everyone. Stranger countries exist, so it really isn't too far-fetched.

I'm too busy watching the misadventures of potato duo. It has the better vehicle.

Why are potatoes adventures so much better kino than actual Kino?

It doesn't have heavy-handed philosophy in it. Its philosophy is subtle. And it's a yuuri anime.

Not bad. Designs and seiyuu are going, but the art direction and CG are garbage.

I still don't really get why though? Are they just afraid to talk about their positions as revolution leader and princess, or that princess used him and lied to him?

>That entire episode about God's
>Subtle
I like the show, but this is just stupid.

Nothing personnel kid

Hi I'm new to the series and more of a /o/ then Sup Forums poster desu, i'm intentially watching the 2003 and 2017 in parallel with eachother.

For me the 2003 series seems more like something i would enjoy from rose-tinted spectacles, or just literally i would enjoy it more if i was smoking too much pot. That said i would enjoy the weird quotes and EEeeeEEEEEEE sounds alot if i was high. Its very heavy handed and tells its stories thus far like a 60s hippie reciting a native american tale he once heard in college which isn't totally a bad thing but isn't exactly great either. Its still genuinely good but i think alot of the posters here are on too many levels of aspergers to realize its not as well made as they think it is and overall its style was a mediocre advertisement of the source material.

In comparison the new series is actually engaging and makes me want to watch new episodes legitmately, it flows alot better. it has less edge but it doesn't require it, it tells a better story without it.

overall i think both are good but prefer the newer one. I'm just happy there is a anime advertising the series because the source material is right up my and i think alot of anons alley but it went hugely under the radar.

cont.

sorry didn't finish that last part clearly my apologize: 'hugely under the rader for people who haven't been none-stop weebs for literally 14+ years now'

If word got out that she is the former princess the other revolutionaries might choose to exile her, or former royalists might try and use her as a figurehead. It's much safer for her to conceal her identity.

I think that generally speaking, people gained the wrong impression of the series because of their limited exposure to it (usually only through the 2003 anime). The stories aren't always somber or slow paced set in a mostly down-to-eartg setting full of nations exemplifying various philosophical viewpoints. Between stories like these, there are stories focused more on the people in those countries, stories taking place between countries, stories where silly or even light-hearted events happen, etc.

Kino herself isn't solely a neutral, untouchable character and a passive observer serving as an excuse to introduce the viewer to different countries. She is in her own right a character with her own share of flaws of character who does interact with the countries or people she comes acrosss.

>Its very heavy handed
And the "glory to the 2nd amendment, viva Libertarianism" were not heavy handed at all in the new series?

All Kino is good Kino

Isn't the author a gin-loving libertarian?

This. Kino's the best. Just the best.

Coliseum and country of liars were shit but the rest of the series has been good so far.

Do you guys think Kino farts while she's riding Hermes?

I wonder if he likes it or not.

Not as much as the 2003 series, but I am enjoying it. I think the quality has really picked up on the last two episodes, so hopefully it'll keep up.

What was your problem with Country of Liars?

It's more modern in looks but it's terribly generic and boring, soulless i'd say. The direction is lackluster and the atmosphere sucks and that's the whole point of Kino

Show didn't change, It's user that changed. .

The setting is really inconsistent and the episodic extra-teir characters are all very tropey. The 2003 show did those two things a lot better.

Other than that it's fun, the OP is great, kino is a consistently entertaining character and the heavy handed society defining philosophies of the countries still make you think. I wouldn't necessarily call the show deep unless you're someone that has never given any thought to how other societies operate but it's still interesting as its left up to the viewer to decide whether those societies are good or bad.

I know this series is based on an LN but the amount of talking and exposition dumping in the 2017 series can be very exhausting (like the entire backstory of country of liars being told to us, or the backstory about the little girl on the floating ship country being dumped in the laziest way ever by Hermes) this is a visual medium, these backstories can be shown to us through visual scenes.

The execution does feel wonky and there's a few things that feel off or done poorly in this (lolcgi) but its not awful, and I keep watching because its comfy
I also have a weakness for traveling MC with a self contained story per episode series like Mushishi

never watched the older series but I've always been curious to see it since it's so praised, so I decide to give this new series a go

I like the direction but while the stories play with some interesting concepts I found it kinda shallow, since Kino usually deals with various people at once and the countries populations seem to act like mindhives. In that aspect I like Mushishi better since it deals with individual stories so you get to see people dealing with the outcome of their decisions after bizarre things happens to them, their backstories, character development, etc. Kino no Tabi seems mostly to be about presenting concepts but not exploring them too deeply.

Is the older anime series like that as well, in regard to the stories presented? I'm still willing to give it a go anyway, but while I'm enjoying the 2017 series I got a bit disappointed.

The 2003 series doesn't explore anything in serious depth, but it does feel much more thoughtful than the new series. I still haven't watched Mushishi so I can't compare it to that. Almost every county in Kino has that hivemind feel to it though because they all just take a philosophy or a way of life and exaggerate it to represent an entire county as a thought experiment. There are exceptions, but that kind of approach is pretty integral to what the series is about.

Reminder that 2003fags wouldn't have a single complaint about the 2017 series if it looked like pic related.

There are no opinions and there is no bias. Its considerably more generic.

>cgi backgrounds
>cgi hermes
It's like you have no taste for atmosphere or something. Fuck crt lines

I see, thanks for answering. Will look into the older series someday.

also
>mindhives
I need some sleep, fuck

I'm a latefag to the Kino series so 2017 is my entry point. I enjoyed it so much I went and watched the OVAs and now a couple of eps into the 2003 series. The 2017 series is like YKK on wheels while the 2003 series is just as good but psychologically heavy. In any case I'm still enjoying both if for different reasons.

The "problem" with the new version is simply underground syndrome.

A bunch of retards getting butthurt because a somewhat obscure but good animu is having a new version for new fans.

Ergo, they cant go around burmping things like
>you havent watched the 2003 series, so you clearly dont know animu you normie

Too much exposition. The lack of exposition is why I find SSR so enjoyable.
Old kino also had this problem but it was way less frequent

>normie

The 3d in the newest episode was atrocious

The stories themselves are decent but they're presented in a very boring fashion

the next episode is her debut

Wrong, 3DCG is cancer.

youtube.com/watch?v=-IqwbVwo434

can it match 2003's ost and atmosphere?

Kemono Friends, Tesagure, gdgd Fairies, Etotama, Show by Rock, and Houseki no Kini prove otherwise. We are entering the age of 3D, user. Accept it.

The whole skit when they're talking about war and god are so heavy handed, just like old kino. Nu-kino is actually more subtle about its philosophy and doesn't make things deeper than it actually is.

>posting some fan edit instead of the actual track

All you did was list a bunch of garbage and prove him right.

I've heard the 2017 is way more faithful to the novels, while the 2003 one takes some liberties and most anons like them or something? Is that true?

Its inferior to the original but still good

Speaking of the original, I think they should have gone or a design like Shaft did in City of Illness
It was like halfway between potato-kino and nuKino and seemed to fit perfectly. Kino wasn't too ugly and not too cute like she is now, a good balance.
The episode had some QUALITY moments but I still liked that one a lot, wish they would remake it

2003 had a more distinct atmosphere. Maybe it differs from the novels, but it felt internally consistent. The visuals were whimsical but also cold, like a toy world frozen in time. Hard to explain, but it definately left more of an impression.

The new one is just kind of a bland retelling of the novel.

More or less. The 2003 one was very specific in which ones it adapted where the new one seems to be adapting some of the more notable stories.There's also stuff like The Land of Books in the 2003 anime having next to nothing to do with The Land of Books in the LN. The Colosseum was also changed.

2017 is more faithful to the novels, but the pacing is rushed in order to fit the chapters into the episode length.

brb killing myself

Is this a joke? Were we actually supposed to sympathize with these assholes as they blunder their way through the world, causing millions in damages to poor people whose homes and farms had the misfortune to be in their way? What the fuck was Kino doing actually helping them? What he should have done is shoot up the control room and sabotage the tracks. What a bunch of assholes.

I don't think you were supposed to sympathize with them or hate them. Kino helped them because she wanted to get through the walled country without giving up her Woodsman. Shizu is the moralfag who wouldn't stand for that kind of thing, not Kino. It wouldn't benefit her at all to sabotage the place.

this. Shes not trying to help or hurt anyone, just travel and do her own thing
Kino is not evil or heroic, Kino is Kino

It's mediocre.

Kino shot the asshole king even though there was no point in doing so as she already won her freedom, though. She's not completely heartless. I thought this whole episode was framing the Object guys as mostly innocent ("yeah we're leaving our tracks behind and causing environmental damage and that kinda sucks" speech) and even tried to justify their actions as the other country was said to be assholes who built the wall just so they could extort money from travelers.

the king's bullshit fucked with her and people she had a history with. Kino is inherently self-centred even if presented as being moral while doing so.

The surviving wife literally tried to get Kino killed by telling her to visit that country. That was a bit rude and uncalled for.

are you a moron?
the wife obviously told her to go to gladiator country because she knew Kino would get revenge for her

It would have been a tasteful way to mask the the horrendous CG.

Riddle me this. If I've never seen the anime, and assuming I'm going to watch both series at some point, do you think it would be better to watch the currently airing show to completion first, then watch the 2003 one, or watch 2003 now and then try the current one?

If you've already started the new one then finish it, if not then watch 2003 first and then watch the new one.

I think that it's entirely up to you.
If you're of sound mind then you'll enjoy them both no matter which order you watch them in.

Agreed. That design was absolutely perfect. Also the color palette they used for her seemed very drab but in a realistic way, just how I'd expect Kino to look.
Everything about her in the this new series just appears way too bright.

The threads due to the 2017 series has made me realize why every fanbase that has them hates secondaries so damn much.

I feel like Sup Forums's overall population has been overtaken entirely by people who joined in the last 2-3 years, and call each other newfags for things nobody would have cared about in the 00s.

The pacing in the last episodes has been very poor compared to the first few.

this is Sup Forums in its entirety. Half of them seem to be ESLs with broken English too.

They literally said in the episode that both countries were assholes.

I think it has its own appeal. There is definitely a more action-feel to this new series. It's certainly more trigger-happy and full of explosions and conflict so far.