Angel's Egg Discussion

Just saw this movie and my mind was blown. What's Sup Forums'/ opinions on this?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/2PJePhJY76U
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

it's about how Buddhism sucks.
Water bottles confirm it don't bother them about it

I guess that this reaction sums up my opinion about this movie. It is by no means bad, art and story are both really interesting, but I still don't know what was it's meaning.

egg being empty oh no

I like it more than any anime actually
It's not a narrative story though, just more like poetry.
It's about the lost of faith and/or innocence and only watchable if you're depressed.

Also the scream scene is the fucking best

I literally fell asleep.

>depressed
it's not depressing at all. If your egg is due go get another one.

That last scene still mesmerizes me to this day.

Also the male protag's faces are so fucking memeworthy

its boring but looks good and the fishermen part was cool. overall a 5/10

hunting for fish was the best scene

It's not depressing but if you're not depressed you will probably find it boring like this user .
To be honest I've recommended the movie to quite a lot of people and most of them didn't really liked it and I can't blame them for it. If you can relate you'll like it and the director was prety fucking depressed by the time he did it.

Watched it last week too. If there was ever a film that just could not be done in any period other than the 80s this is prettt much it. I dont fault people for thinking it was 2deep4u because a lot it it pretty subtle and tge subtext won't be understood on the first view but its a mesmerising experience through and through thanks to its art and sound design.
This.

It's amazing that the author said that any interpretation anyone could ever come up with would be correct and I still see only wrong ones in discussions about this

Not even the director knows what it's about. Just enjoy it as art.

I'm not depressed and I thought it was very good but its just not for everyone especially if you don't have the patience for it. The film clocks in at 70 minutes so its easier to sit through than Sky Crawlers which is over 2 hours.

pretentious shit

It's a great movie that will never project the historical significance it deserves as it's an anime wrenched from anime convention and a film that the film tradition won't claim. It will continue to be remembered only as a compelling footnote in Oshii's career.

The soundtrack is a gift.

Loss of and fetishism of innocence.

This

Care to elaborate?

Stuckmann on YouTube gives a great interpretation of it. I like it.

>ctrl+f "prententious"
> 1 result
What are you doing Sup Forums

Oshii movies are as good as anime gets. Jin roh, Tenshi no tamago and offcourse Ghost in the shell are superb movies.

That art, that emotion... that japanese pacing that really captures contemplation as Ozu intended.

I recently rewatched both Tenshi no tamago and Jin Roh and they get me every time.

Personally I love it.

I wish more people could enjoy it just for being gorgeous without having to go into "DEEP" shit and meanings amd all that.

I was falling asleep and then she scared the shit out of me I had fucking shivers down my spine
It's about faith. The soldier lost his faith and warned the girl, she didn't listen, and then when the egg broke and there was nothing inside her faith was meaningless.
The men rushing towards the shadow represent men trying to reach God. At the end the island looks like a collapsed ark, meaning that God has abandoned them

Or the guy is a Christ figure sent to test the girls faith, and because she didn’t give in she was given a reward tenfold worth her suffering (all the eggs at the end) and then ascended to sainthood on top of that god eye thing

it's alright
general oshii wanking

Never thought about this interpretation - that's kind of interesting. I've always read that it was about how Oshii had a fall out from Christianity.

Hate to be a fag linking YouTube vids but this guy goes over that and other interpretations that I think is really worth a listen youtu.be/2PJePhJY76U

OP here, how would you guys rank Oshii's work?

Patlabor 2 > Beautiful Dreamer > Patlabor the movie > Angel's Egg > Jin-Roh > Patlabor 3 > Sky crawlers > His live action shit

Still don't quite understand it, but I liked the tone, the bio-tanks, also the fishermen damned to spear at a shadow for all time

I didn't get it.

Ordering is hard, but his best works are Ghost in the Shell, Gosenzosama Banbanzai and Angel's Egg. Maybe Patlabor 2.

I had to watch a video of a guy explaining it to me, but visually it was pretty good

disillusionment with religion, and in a broader sense a commentary of depending on blind faith in general.